We’re not resisting anything…
种族信仰隔离的这种思想
…but the idea that people can’t live together.
看见吗?
You see?
印度教♥徒♥ 回♥教♥徒
Hindus, Muslims…
锡克教 犹太教
…Sikhs, Jews…
甚至基♥督♥徒
…even Christians.
纽♥约♥时♥报♥的华克先生
Mr. Walker of the New York Times.
你好
How you doing?
一个群体需要报纸或是
Without a paper, a journal of some kind…
某种新闻媒体才能团结起来
…you cannot unite a community.
你这行是很重要的行业
You belong to a very important profession.
你觉得这个重要的行业 该怎么报导
And what do you think an important professional should write…
你对史莫兹将军新立法的反应
…about your response to General Smuts’ newest legislation?
我不知道
I don’t know.
我还在想该如何反应
I’m still searching for a response.
你会尊重法律
You will respect the law?
有不公正的法律 正如有不公正的人
There are unjust laws as there are unjust men.
对抗南非政♥府♥ 以你们的人数是微乎其微
You’re a small minority to take on the South African government…
更别提对抗大英帝国了
…not to mention the British Empire.
就算你是唯一反抗的人
If you are a minority of one…
真理却永远是真理
…the truth is the truth.
贺曼可朗北
Herman Kallenbach…
木匠工头 也是我们主要的赞功人
…our chief carpenter, also our chief benefactor.
文思华克 纽♥约♥时♥报♥的人
Vince Walker, New York Times.
你们这个地方真不错
This is quite a place you’ve got here.
你称它为”阿思朗” – 是的
And you call it an ashram?
意思是社区
That’s right. The word only means “community.”
不过也能代表村庄或世界
But it could stand for “village” or “the world.”
你的野心很大 甘地先生
You’re an ambitious man, Mr. Gandhi.
我希望不会
I hope not.
听说你本人也亲自煮饭 还有清洗厕所
I hear that you also prepare the meals and clean the toilets.
这是实验的一部份吗 – 芭
Is that part of the experiment? – Ba!
给华克先生的司机 准备一个座位
We will need another place set for Mr. Walker’s driver.
我会告诉泰拉
I will tell Tara.
这样可以让人了解
Yes, it’s one way to learn that each man’s labor…
劳力无贫富之分
…is as important as another’s.
事实上 当在洗厕所时
While you’re doing it, cleaning the toilet…
你会觉得洗厕所比法律重要
…seems far more important than the law.
请和我们一起用餐
Please, come and join us.
回去前得先吃点东西
You’ll need something before your journey back.
能不能失陪一下 – 当然
Would you excuse me, please? – Yeah, sure.
什么事
What is it?
苏拉来告诉我
Sora was sent to tell me I must…
我必须扫粪除屎
…rake and cover the latrine.
对
That’s right.
大家轮流的
Everyone takes their turn.
这是下级贱民做的
It is the work of untouchables!
这里没有所谓的下级贱民
In this place, there are no untouchables.
也没有分那些是低贱的工作
And no work is beneath any of us.
我是你妻子
I’m your wife!
那更应该要做
All the more reason.
遵命
As you command.
其他人是你的信徒 可是你忘了
The others may follow you, but you forget…
我们从小就认识的
…I knew you when you were a boy.
不是我要你做
It’s not me.
这是原则问题
It’s the principle.
你如果不能心甘情愿的做 就根本别做
And you will do it with joy or not do it at all.
那我不做
Not at all then.
好 那你走 你不属于这里
All right then, go. You don’t belong here!
离开这里 走 我们不要你
Leave the ashram altogether. We don’t want you!
你没羞耻心吗?
Have you no shame?
我是你的妻子
I’m your wife!
你要我去哪里
Where do you expect me to go?
我是怎么了
What’s the matter with me?
你只是个人
You’re human.
只是个人
Only human.
对根本不想做的跟你
And it’s even harder for those of us…
一样好的人而言会更加困难
…who do not even want to be as good as you do.
我道歉
I apologize.
我得回去跟那个记者谈谈
I must get back to that reporter.
我必须去
And I must…
扫粪除屎
…rake and cover the latrine.
我欢迎所有的人
I want to welcome you all.
你们所有的人
Every one of you.
我们没有秘密
We have no secrets.
我们先来澄清
Let us begin by being clear…
史莫兹将军的新法律
…about General Smuts’ new law.
所有的印度人都必须留下指纹
All Indians must now be fingerprinted…
就像犯罪
…like criminals.
不论男女
Men and women.
婚姻如果没举♥行♥基♥督♥教仪式 就视为无效
No marriage other than a Christian marriage is considered valid.
在这个法律之下
Under this act…
我们的太太和母亲全是妓♥女♥
…our wives and mothers are whores.
所有的男人都是杂种
And every man here is a bastard.
他变的相当在行了
He has become quite good at this.
当警♥察♥
And a policeman…
经过印度人的住处
…passing an Indian dwelling…
那可算不上是个家
…I will not call them homes…
可以任意进入要求查看 住在里面的任何男女之证件
…may enter and demand the card of any Indian woman whose dwelling it is.
去他们的
Goddamn them!
明白吗
Understand…
他不需要站在门口
…he does not have to stand at the door.
他就可以直接进去
He may enter.
我绝对不让他进我家
I will not allow it!
我对阿♥拉♥发誓
I swear to Allah.
谁敢如此污辱我家 和我太太的话 我一定宰了他
I’ll kill the man who offers that insult to my home and my wife…
让他们吊死我好了
…and let them hang me!
我认为空谈无义
I say: Talk means nothing!
先杀他几个警♥察♥ 免得他们玷污印度女性
Kill a few officials before they disgrace one Indian woman.
这样就会对法律加以三思
Then they might think twice about such laws.
为此我愿意牺牲
In that cause, I would be willing to die!
我很钦佩你的勇气
I praise such courage.
我也需要这种勇气
I need such courage…
因为我也愿意为此主义而牺牲
…because, in this cause, I too am prepared to die.
但是 我的朋友
But, my friend…
我不会为任何主义而杀人
…there is no cause for which I am prepared to kill.
不论他们怎么对待我们
Whatever they do to us…
我们绝不还击
…we will attack no one…
绝不杀人
…kill no one.
但是我们也绝不印指纹 谁也不印
But we will not give our fingerprints, not one of us.
他们将会把我们关起来 罚我们钱
They will imprison us. They will fine us.
没收我们的财产
They will seize our possessions.
可是只要我们坚持
But they cannot take away our self-respect…
绝不能抢走我们的自尊
…if we do not give it to them.
你坐过牢吗
Have you been to prison?
他们会拷打我们 折磨我们 我说我们应该…
They beat us and torture us. I say…
我要求你与其对抗
I am asking you to fight.
就对抗他们的愤怒 而不是挑起他们的愤怒
To fight against their anger, not to provoke it.
我们绝不攻击他们
We will not strike a blow.
可是我们将承受攻击
But we will receive them.
经由我们承受的痛苦
And through our pain…
他们会看清自己的不公正
…we will make them see their injustice.
这和攻击他们
And it will hurt…
一样的具有杀伤力
…as all fighting hurts.
但是我们不能输
But we cannot lose.
绝对不能
We cannot.
他们可以折磨我
They may torture my body…
打断我的骨头
…break my bones…
甚至杀了我
…even kill me.
而他们所得
Then…
只是一具尸体