But I don’t know why either should be interested in an old man…
当外面的世界正打的天翻地覆时
…sitting alone in prison…
对一个坐牢的孤单老头有兴趣
…while the rest of the world is blowing itself to pieces.
你是我知道 唯一自己织布缝衣的男人
You’re the only man I know who makes his own clothes.
不过这实在算不上什么成就
But for me, that’s not much of an accomplishment.
坐牢我已经习惯了
Prison is rather agreeable to me.
无疑的 战后
And there is no doubt that after the war…
一定可以独♥立♥
…independence will come.
我担心的是
My only worry…
会是什么状况
…is what shape it will take.
吉纳已经… – 停一下
Jinnah has… – Stop!
对不起 能不能请往前一点
I’m sorry, but… Could you come forward, please?
来吧 – 靠着扶手
Come, come. – Just up to the railing.
谢谢
Thank you very much.
对不起
Now, sorry.
请继续说下去 什么状况
Go on, just as you were. “What shape it will take…”
吉纳怎么样
Jinnah has what?
吉纳已经跟英国人合作
Jinnah has cooperated with the British.
得到权力 也有说话自♥由♥
It has given him power and the freedom to speak.
这使得回♥教♥徒人心惶惶
And he’s filled the Muslims with fears…
担心在印度教统治下
…of what will happen to them…
他们会有什么下场
…in a country that is predominantly Hindu.
这件事让我难以忍♥受
And that I find hard to bear…
即使在牢里也如此
…even in prison.
我很难了解
It’s very hard for me to see this…
这就是20世纪 解决问题的方法
…as a solution to the 20th century’s problems.
有些朋友一直告诉我
I have friends who keep telling me…
他们以多大的代价 才换来我的贫困
…how much it costs them to keep me in poverty.
可是我知道 物质享受不能带来幸福
But I know happiness does not come with things…
即使是20世纪的物质享受
…even 20th century things.
而是来自工作和你的所作所为
It can come from work and pride in what you do.
印度人住在村落中
India lives in her villages…
只有再恢复他们的原有技术
…and the terrible poverty there can only be removed…
才能改善那种贫困
…if their local skills can be revived.
贫穷才是最糟糕的暴♥力♥
Poverty is the worst form of violence.
只有建设计划才能
And a constructive program is the only…
不用暴♥力♥地解决印度的痛苦
…nonviolent solution to India’s agony.
如果只是由西方
It will not necessarily be progress for India…
进口一些不幸
…if she simply…
对其并非进步
…imports the unhappiness of the West.
你真的相信可以用非暴♥力♥方法
But do you really believe you could use nonviolence…
对付希♥特♥勒♥这种人吗
…against someone like Hitler?
会有挫折也会有极大的痛苦
Not without defeats and great pain.
但是在这场战争中 就没有挫折
But are there no defeats in this war?
没有痛苦了吗
No pain?
人们不能接受不公平的事
What you cannot do…
不论对方是希♥特♥勒♥或是任何人
…is accept injustice from Hitler or anyone.
一定要努力让人看到 这个不公平的事情
You must make the injustice visible.
并且愿意以身殉之
Be prepared to die like a soldier to do so.
这个弄出来应该是这样的吗
Is this what I’m meant to end up with here?
不 你令我分心的结果就是这样
No, that’s what you get for distracting me.
你说那些话 还能期望我弄出什么结果
What do you expect when you talk like that?
我期望你能和我一样有耐心
I expect you to show as much patience as I am now.
慢慢的转 轻轻的拉
Turn slowly and pull it gently.
也包括了女人的生活
And that includes the life of women.
巴布常说
Bapu has always said…
印度有两种奴隶制度
…there were two kinds of slavery in India:
一种是女人的 一种是低等贱民的
One for women, one for the untouchables.
他一向反对这两个制度
And he has always fought against both.
这样分开会不会难过
Does it rankle, being separated in this way?
印度哲学里中
In Hindu philosophy…
要接近神
…the way to God…
必须放弃财产
…is to free yourself of possessions…
与情欲
…and the passions.
巴布一直努力想接近神
Bapu has always struggled to find the way to God.
你是说他放弃了婚姻生活
Do you mean that he gave up married life?
他试过四次
Four times he tried…
都失败了
…and failed.
不过他发过重誓…
But then he took a solemn vow.
他从未违背过吗
And he’s never broken it?
还没有
Not yet.
我得到准许可以带走她 他也可以走了
I’ve got permission to move her.
抱歉
I’m very sorry, sir.
她心肌梗塞 很严重的心脏病
She’s had a massive thrombosis. It’s a serious heart attack.
移♥动♥她 她就绝对活不了
She’ll never survive the trip.
我想最好别动她 祈祷希望有转机
I think it’s better if we just keep her here and hope.
我该去散步了
It’s time for my walk.
我马上会回来
I won’t be long.
仪队
Guard…
举枪
…present arm!
我们来此友善的为总督加冕
We have come to crown victory with friendship…
在印度独♥立♥日予以协助
…to assist at the birth of an independent India…
并且欢迎成为
…and to welcome her as an equal member…
大英国协中地位平等的一份子
…in the British Commonwealth of Nations.
我将是最后一任英国总督
I am here to see that I am the last British Viceroy…
很高兴有如此的欢迎仪式
…ever to have the honor of such a reception.
甘地 我不管印度独♥立♥与否
I am not concerned about the independence of India.
我关心的是回♥教♥徒被奴役 我不会袖手旁观
I’m concerned about the slavery of the Muslims.
拜托 吉纳先生
Please, Mr. Jinnah.
眼见印度教
I won’t stand by to see the mastery of the British…
取英国而代之来统治印度
…replaced by the mastery of the Hindus.
回♥教♥徒 印度教正如印度的 左右眼
Muslim and Hindu are the right and left eye of India.
不会有主奴之分
No one will be master, no one slave.
这个世界不是人人都像你
The world is not made of Mahatma Ghandis.
我在说真实的世界
I’m talking about the real world.
如何… – 真正的印度
How the… – The real India has…
在每个村庄城市 都有回♥教♥徒和印度教♥徒♥
…Muslims and Hindus in every village and every city.
你打算如何把他们分开
How do you propose to separate them?
回♥教♥徒占多数的地方
Where there is a Muslim majority…
独♥立♥为巴基斯坦
…that will be Pakistan.
其他的就是你们的印度
The rest is your India.
亲爱的吉纳
My dear Jinnah…
回♥教♥徒占多数的地方 分隔在印度的两方
…the Muslims are in a majority on two different sides of the country.
让我们担心巴基斯坦 你们去担心印度吧
Let us worry about Pakistan. You worry about India.
各位
Gentlemen…
我想或许该继续
…I think perhaps we should recommence.
吉纳去死…
Death to Jinnah! Death to Jinnah!
感谢神 终于停了
Thank God, they’ve stopped.
玛妞 阿芭
Manu, Aba.
我虽然是你们的叔公
I’m your granduncle…
我能比你们走得远
…but I can still walk either of you into the ground.
我不要人家这样照顾我
And I don’t need to be pampered in this way.
去纺完你们的纱
Finish your quota of spinning.
巴布 请别这么做
Bapu, please don’t do it.
你叫我别做什么
What do you want me not to do?
不去和吉纳会谈吗
Not to meet with Mr. Jinnah?
我是回♥教♥徒
I am a Muslim…
也是印度教♥徒♥
…and a Hindu…
是基♥督♥教♥徒♥ 也是犹太教♥徒♥
…and a Christian and a Jew.
你们大家都一样
And so are all of you.
你们挥舞旗子大喊大叫
When you wave those flags and shout…
使你的同胞丧胆
…you send fear into the hearts of your brothers.
我不要印度这样
That is not the India I want.
停止吧
Stop it!
看在老天的份上停止吧
For God’s sake, stop it.
如果你们祷告完了
If you’ve finished your prayers…
或许可以开始谈正事了
…perhaps we could begin our business.
亲爱的吉纳先生
My dear Jinnah…
你我如手足
…you and I are brothers…
都是同一个母亲 印度所生的
…born of the same mother India.
如果你有所畏惧