Think of it.
永远如此
Always.
当你怀疑神
Whenever you are in doubt that that is God’s way…
怀疑这世界时
…the way the world is meant to be…
就想想这些话
…think of that…
然后努力以神的方式去做
…and then try to do it His way.
能不能再给我一杯柠檬汁
And now, could I have another feast of lemon juice?
尼鲁
Panditji!
吉纳
Jinnah…
彼帖
…Patel…
所有的国会议会都起而呼吁 停止不合作运动
…all of congress has called for the end of noncooperation.
没有示♥威♥了
There’s not been one demonstration.
所有的印度人都在祈祷 希望你结束绝食
All over India, people are praying that you will end the fast.
人们走上街头
They’re walking in the streets…
帮警♥察♥戴上花环
…offering garlands to the police…
还有英国♥军♥人
…and British soldiers.
或许我做的太过火了
Perhaps I have overdone it.
早安 巴布
Good morning, Bapu.
早安 别松手了
Don’t let him go.
撞上我 我会倒的
If he bumps me, I’m done for.
放心 我不会松手的
Don’t worry, I won’t let him go.
对不起 甘地先生
I’m sorry, Mr. Gandhi, sir…
我要拘捕你
…but you’re under arrest.
什么罪名
On what charge?
妨害治安
Sedition.
不会是真的吧
You can’t be serious.
他刚刚阻止了一次革命
This man has just stopped a revolution.
可能吧
That’s as may be.
我只知道要奉命行事
I only know what I am charged to perform.
我不相信
I don’t believe it!
就算是英国人 也不可能如此愚蠢
The British can’t be that stupid.
尼鲁 扶我一下
Help me, please.
米乐曼 要照顾芭
Mira, you must look after Ba.
如果有任何暴♥动♥ 任何抗♥议♥ 或者任何羞耻的行为
If there is one protest, one riot, a disgrace of any kind…
我会再次绝食的
…I will fast again.
赫曼
Herman.
我旅行过很多次
I have been on many trips.
孟戴
Monda.
这只是另一次的旅行罢了
This is just another trip.
我敬听吩咐
I am at your command.
我知道印度还没到 我要那种独♥立♥的阶段
I know we are not ready for my kind of independence.
如果我被关了 或许正是
If I’m sent to jail, perhaps that is the best protest…
印度最好的一次抗♥议♥行动
…our country can make at this time.
我一向不拒绝 英王陛下的招待
And, if it helps India, I’ve never refused His Majesty’s hospitality.
召犯人出庭
Call the prisoner to the bar.
不合作的目的
“Noncooperation has one aim:
就是要推♥翻♥政♥府♥
The overthrow of the government.
妨害治安是我们的信条
Sedition must become our creed.
绝不让步
We must give no quarter…
否则会无立足之地
…nor can we expect any.”
你否认是你写的吗 – 绝不会否认
Do you deny writing it? – Not at all.
而且我要节省庭上的时间
And I will save the court’s time…
我发誓到现在
…my lord, by stating under oath that, to this day…
我仍相信 不与罪恶合作是责任
…I believe noncooperation with evil is a duty…
而英国统治印度是罪恶的
…and that British rule of India is evil.
大人 控方问完了
The prosecution rests, my lord.
我想你要自己来辩护了
I presume you are conducting your own defense.
我不抗辩 我有罪
I have no defense, my lord. I am guilty as charged.
如果大人真的相信你的法律
And if you truly believe in your system of law…
那您必须尽量从重量刑
…you must inflict on me the severest penalty possible.
我不得不承认 你和我所审判过的人
It is impossible for me to ignore that you are in a different category…
或者想要审判的
…from any person I have ever tried…
完全不同
…or am likely to try.
不过职责所在我必须判你
Nevertheless, it is my duty to sentence you…
六年徒刑
…to six years’ imprisonment.
如果英王的政♥府♥ 在未来觉得
Lf, however, His Majesty’s government should, at some later date…
应该减刑
…see fit to reduce the term…
那没有人会比我更高兴的
…no one will be better pleased than I.
我想他们一定希望能如此
Yes, I’m sure that’s exactly what they hoped:
关他几年 运气好的话 人们会忘了他
Put him in prison a few years. With luck, he’d be forgotten.
甚至能使他屈服
Maybe they could even subdue him.
不过他可没被遗忘
Well, he certainly wasn’t forgotten.
一出狱就又浪迹各乡村
And as soon as he got out, he was back tramping the countryside…
宣导不要用暴♥力♥ 要求解放印度
…preaching nonviolence and demanding a free India.
大家都知道 又面临了一个关键时刻
Everyone knows another showdown’s coming.
一个驻中美洲的美国记者
How does an American journalist in Central America…
怎么会知道甘地是波港人
…learn that Gandhi was born in Porbandar anyway?
我留意他很久了
I’ve been aware of him for a long time.
他是报导的好材料
He certainly makes good copy.
那天邱吉尔还说他是 半裸的印度苦行僧
The other day, Winston Churchill called him a half-naked Indian fakir.
我见过他一次
I met him once.
什么 你是指甘地吗
What, you mean Gandhi?
在南非 很久以前了
South Africa, a long time ago.
不知道他是否还记得我
I wonder if he’ll recognize me.
当时他是什么样子的
What was he like?
那时他有满头的头发
He had a full head of hair then.
我们有点像 对什么都想一探究竟的大学生
We were a bit like college students, trying to figure everything out.
他一定是探出一些究竟了
Well, he must have found some of the answers.
我一切都听从你 做你的贤内助…
In every worthy wish of yours, I shall be your helpmate.
贤内助
Helpmate.
第四步 愿我们永远快乐
Take the fourth step, that we may be ever full of joy.
我对你终生不渝
I will ever live devoted to you…
爱你并祈求你的幸福
…speaking words of love and praying for your happiness.
第五步
Take the fifth step…
绕着火走
…the walking around a fire…
我们将服务人群
…that we may serve the people.
我将紧随着你
I will follow close behind you…
帮助你服务人群
…and help to serve the people.
第六步
Take the sixth step…
愿我们终生信守誓言
…that we may follow our vows in life.
我会跟随着你 信守所有的誓言与责任
I will follow you in all our vows and duties.
第七步
Take the seventh step…
愿我们终生都是好友
…that we may ever live as friends.
你是我的挚友
You are my best friend…
最高的导师
…my highest guru…
和至高无上的主人
…and my sovereign lord.
然后我放一块甜麦糕 到她的嘴里
And then I put a sweetened wheat cake in her mouth.
我放一块甜麦糕 到他的嘴中
And I put a sweetened wheat cake in his mouth.
然后婚礼完成 我们结为
And with that, we were pronounced…
夫妻
…man and wife.
那时候我们两个都13岁
We were both 13.
好美
It’s beautiful.
我向来也觉得很美
Even as a boy, I thought so.
谢谢
Thank you.
想跟上你简直像是在追野兔
Trying to keep up with you is like chasing a jackrabbit.
你以为会发生大事 所以大老远赶过来
You’ve come because you think something is going to happen.
会发生吗
Is it?
或许
Perhaps.
我就是来这里考虑这件事的
I’ve come here to think about it.
你还记得南非的事吗
Do you remember much of South Africa?
有 我常想到它
A great deal.
自那我走了很远的路
I’ve traveled so far…
也想了很多
…and thought so much.
你也看到
As you can see…
我的家乡靠海
…my city is a sea city.
总是有很多印度教♥徒♥
Always full of Hindus…
回♥教♥徒
…Muslims…
锡克教♥徒♥ 犹太教♥徒♥ 波斯人
…Sikhs, Jews, Persians.
我的家族是婆罗门贵族
My family’s sect was the Pranami.
自然是信奉印度教了
Hindu, of course.
可是在我们的庙里