谨以本片献给缅♥甸♥科沙里·蒙贝坦伯爵及尼鲁总统
由于他们的鼓励支持与信心 才得使本片能够完成
一个人的一生不可能用一个故事说完
无法逐年逐月的叙述 无法巨细靡遗的全拍出来
也无法把将他一生中有关的人和事物逐一拍摄出来
只能忠实 记录其精髓 设法了解一个人的内心世界
印度新德里 1948年1月30日
非洲南部 1♥8♥9♥3年
南非 印度国会党
克利斯史莫兹将军
“我们是大英帝国的子民”
“上千人被拘禁 在南非监狱”
印度孟买♥♥ 1915年
总督府 数月后
中场休息
“解放印度”
“警♥察♥在暴♥动♥中被杀”
波港省 数年后
“英国新闻制♥作♥有话要说”
“英国新闻制♥作♥”
“甘地到北部游历 从印度来的小个子”
“缠着腰布拜访 纺织厂工人”
“希♥特♥勒♥军队推进”
印度与巴基斯坦边界 1947年8月
“甘地绝食快死了”
人比昨天更多
There are more than yesterday.
甘地将于花♥园♥中祷告
He will be saying prayers in the garden.
请随着众人走
Just follow the others.
甘地将于花♥园♥中祷告
He will be saying prayers in the garden.
请随着众人走
Just follow the others.
弟兄 巴布祷告已经迟了
Brother, Bapu is already late for prayers.
上帝…
Oh, God!
这个盛大葬礼的死者
The object of this massive tribute…
死时与他活着的时候一样
…died as he had always lived:
一个平民
A private man…
没有任何的财富
…without wealth…
没有任何的财产
…without property…
也没任何的官衔
…without official title or office.
圣雄甘地
Mahatma Gandhi…
既不是军事将领
…was not the commander of armies…
也不是地方首长
…nor a ruler of vast lands.
也没任何科学成就可以夸耀
He could not boast any scientific achievement…
也不是一个名艺术家
…or artistic gift.
然而世界各地人士
Yet men…
包括各政♥府♥代表及高♥官♥贵人
…governments, dignitaries from all over the world…
在此齐聚一堂
…have joined hands today to pay homage…
向这位绑着缠腰布的棕肤色小个子
…to this little brown man in the loincloth…
致最后的敬意 他领导印度走向自♥由♥
…who led his country to freedom.
诚如美国国务卿
In the words of General George C. Marshall…
马歇尔所说
…the American Secretary of State:
圣雄甘地是人类良心的
“Mahatma Gandhi has become the spokesman…
代言者
…for the conscience of all mankind.
他就是
He was a man…
使得谦虚
…who made humility…
及真理的力量
…and simple truth…
能够战胜帝国
…more powerful than Empires.”
爱因斯坦则说
And Albert Einstein added:
后代子孙将无法相信
“Generations to come will scarce believe that such a one as this…
世上曾经活生生的
…ever in flesh and blood…
出现过这号♥人物
…walked upon this earth.”
告诉我
Tell me…
你曾经有想过地狱这回事吗
…do you think about hell?
我也没想过
Neither do I.
可是这位仁兄
But this man here…
是基♥督♥徒 写说为了相信…
…is a Christian, and he’s written that in order to believe…
对不起 先生
Excuse me, sir.
请问您来南非多久了
How long have you been in South Africa?
一个星期
A week.
我不知道你是怎么买♥♥到票的
I don’t know how you got a ticket.
你在这个车厢里干嘛 印度阿三
Just what are you doing in this car, coolie?
怎样 我有车票
Why, I have a ticket.
头等舱的票
A first-class ticket.
你是怎么买♥♥到票的 – 用邮购的方式
How did you get it? – I sent for it in the post.
我是律师 没有时间…
I’m an attorney. I didn’t…
南非没有有色人种的律师
There are no colored attorneys in South Africa.
去坐你该坐的地方
Sit where you belong!
我帮你把行李拿过去
I’ll take your luggage back, sir.
等一下
Just a moment, please.
你看
You see…
莫罕德甘地
…Mohandas K. Gandhi…
律师
…Attorney at Law.
我正要去普利托里亚 为一个印度公♥司♥辩护
I’m on my way to Pretoria to conduct a case for an Indian trading firm.
你没听到吗
Didn’t you hear me?
南非没有有色人种的律师
There are no colored attorneys in South Africa.
我在伦敦考取律师资格
I was called to the Bar in London…
是正式登记 在大♥法♥官法庭的一员
…and enrolled at the High Court of Chancery.
所以我是律师
I am, therefore, an attorney.
既然我在你眼里是有色人种
And since I am, in your eyes, colored…
我想我们可以推论在南非
…I think we can deduce that there is at least…
至少有一个有色人种律师
…one colored attorney in South Africa.
聪明的混♥蛋♥土人
Smart, bloody Kaffir!
把他扔出去
Throw him out.
滚到三等舱去
Just move your black ass back to third class.
不然一靠站就把你扔出去
Or I’ll have you thrown off at the next station.
但是我一向都坐头等舱…
But I always go first class!
可是你是有钱人 为什么要忍♥受这种事
But you’re a rich man. Why put up with it?
我是有钱
Yes, I am rich.
不过却是印度人
But I am Indian.
所以不敢奢望能坐头等舱
I do not expect to travel first class.
在英国我只是个穷学生 – 那是英国
In England, I was a poor student. – That was England.
这里也是大英帝国的一部份
This is part of England’s Empire.
甘地先生 在你眼里 康先生是个成功的回♥教♥徒商人
Mr. Gandhi, you look at Mr. Khan and you see a successful Muslim trader.
在大多数的南非人眼里 他只是个印度人
Most South Africans see him simply as an Indian.
而在这里大多的印度人 大半是像你是印度教的
And the vast majority of Indians, mostly Hindus, like yourself…
都是矿工或者是农场帮手
…were brought here to work mines and harvest crops.
大多的欧洲人 不愿意他们做其他别的工作
Most Europeans don’t want them doing anything else.
可是这样违背基♥督♥教的精神…
But that is very unchristian…
甘地先生 在南非
Mr. Gandhi, in this country…
印度人不允许 和基♥督♥徒一起走在人行道上
…lndians are not allowed to walk along the pavement with a Christian.
你聘请贝克先生做你的律师
You mean, you employ Mr. Baker as your attorney…
却不能跟他一起上街
…but you can’t walk down the street with him?
我可以
Well, I can.
不过要冒会被一个三流人物
But I risk being kicked into the gutter by someone…
踢下水沟的危险
…less holy than Mr. Baker.
一定要反抗
Well, then it must be fought.
我们都是上帝的子民
We are children of God like everyone else.
赞美阿♥拉♥
Allah be praised!
你打算如何召集人马来对抗
And what battalions will you call upon?
我要写信给南非的报社
I will write to the press…
还有英国的
…here and in England.
我还要告到法♥院♥去…
I will use the courts.
你会引起大骚动 反对是…
You’ll cause a lot of trouble. Our position is…
印度也是大英帝国的一份子
We are members of the Empire.
是个文明古国
And we come from an ancient civilization.
为什么我们不能跟别人一样 一起走在人行道上
Why should we not walk on the pavements like other men?
印度大律师在南非 我喜欢这个主意
I rather like the idea of an Indian barrister in South Africa.
我相信印度人 会让你生意不断 忙一阵子
I’m sure our community could keep you in work for some time…
即使你会惹上大♥麻♥烦
…even if you caused a good deal of trouble.
尤其是在你惹上大♥麻♥烦的时候
Especially if you caused a good deal of trouble.
那个英国记者在那里 我说过他会来的
There’s the English reporter. I told you he’d come.
你也说了 你的文章会引来一千个人
You also said your article would draw a thousand people.
至少有些印度教♥徒♥
At least some of the Hindus…
带太太来了
…brought their wives.
不 是我要求我太太 召集她们来的
No, I asked my wife to organize that.
有些人要走了
Some of them are leaving.
各位先生女士
Ladies and gentlemen…
我之所以要求你们来此 是为了要帮助印度人争取
…we have asked you to gather here to help us proclaim our right…
大英帝国子民的平等权利
…to be treated as equal citizens of the Empire.
我们不想引发冲突
We do not seek conflict.
也了解对手力量庞大
We know the strength of the forces arrayed against us…
也了解正因如此 我们只能用和平的方法
…know that because of them, we can only use peaceful means.
可是我们意志坚决 正义一定得以伸张
But we are determined that justice will be done.
我们地位的象征 竟然在这张通行证上