您指的是1960年与杰克·肯尼迪的电视辩论吗?
If you’re referring to your TV debate with Jack Kennedy in 1960.
他们说我湿了上唇丢了总统
They say that moisture on my upper lip cost me the presidency.
然而 那些听了广播的人认为我应该赢
People who heard it on the radio, well, they thought I’d won.
但电视和特写
But television and the close-up,
能制♥造♥出别的含义
they create their own sets of meanings.
所以现在他们都坚持要我带一块手帕
So now they insist I bring a handkerchief
我也把眉毛修剪了一下
and that I have my eyebrows trimmed.
各位 60秒
Sixty seconds, everyone.
-你修剪眉毛吗? -不
You trim yours? No.
没有 当然没有了
No, of course not.
是啊 你皮肤白 确实是的
Yeah, you’re light-skinned. Yeah.
你有蓝眼睛 我猜你也没有出汗的困扰
You got blue eyes. You’ve got no troubles with perspiration, I imagine.
没有 至少我没注意到
No, not that I’m aware.
你显然天生就适合上电视
You were obviously born to be on the tube.
准备好30秒钟开始录影
DAVIS: Stand by to roll tape in 30 seconds.
准备好了
Settling.
这双鞋
Those shoes.
意大利的 对吗?
They’re Italian, aren’t they?
我的鞋? 我想是的
My shoes? I believe so.
嗯 很有趣
Yeah, that’s interesting.
(SNIFFLES)
你不觉得太女性化了吗?
You don’t find them too effeminate?
不觉得
No.
我猜你那个行业的人
Well, I guess somebody in your field
能忍♥受这种鞋 对吧
can get away with them, you know.
马洛诺 检查下我的衣领好吗?
Manolo, just check my collar, will you?
戴维 二号♥机开始拍摄
DIRECTOR: David, starting with camera two,
倒数 四 三 二 然后 拍戴维…
in four, three, two. Cue David. And…
总统先生 我们将在采访期间
Mr. President. Now, we’re going to be covering a lot of subjects
详尽谈论许多问题
in a great deal of detail over the course of these interviews,
但我首先想完全脱离常规
but I’d like to begin completely out of context
问您一个问题
by asking you one question,
几乎每个美国人
more than any other, almost every American
还有世界其他国家的人都想让我问的
and people all over the world want me to ask.
您为什么没有烧掉那些磁带?
Why didn’t you burn the tapes?
狗♥娘♥养♥的!
Son of a bitch!
嗯 福斯特先生 你的问题让我措手不及
Well, Mr. Frost, I’m surprised by your question
因为我们已经达成一致 受合同约束的一致 我相信
since we have an agreement, a contractual agreement, I believe,
我们该在拍摄的最后阶段才谈水门事件
that we would cover Watergate in our last taping session.
但你的观众如果真的十分关注
But if your viewers really do have a major concern,
也许此刻我该作出简短的回应
then perhaps I should briefly respond to it now.
大概很少有人知道
What probably very few people realize
白宫里的录音系统
is that the taping system in the White House
是由我的前任约翰逊总统设置的
was set up by my predecessor, President Johnson,
一方面是为了不必每次会谈都安排一位秘书
partly to avoid the necessity of having a secretary in every meeting,
另一方面是为了保证
and partly to ensure there was
每项口头协议都有记录
a record kept of every verbal agreement,
不论协议是多么的突然随意
no matter how off the cuff or casual.
还有 最初来到白宫时
Now, initially, on coming into the White House,
我坚持要拆除这一系统
I insisted on dismantling the system.
我从未喜欢过那个主意 但前任总统
I hadn’t liked the idea at all, but the former President,
约翰逊总统多次说过
President Johnson, had repeatedly said
拆除那个系统简直是疯了
how crazy it would be to remove the system,
他觉得那是最好的办法…
which he felt was the best way…
这个 你知道 拳击比赛中 总有那么一个时刻
BRENNAN. Well, in boxing, you know, there’s always that first moment,
你可以在挑战者脸上看出
and you see it in the challenger’s face.
他在那一时刻感觉到
It’s that moment that he feels
拳王首次出击的力道
the impact from the champ’s first jab.
那是极为难受的时刻 当他意识到
It’s kind of a sickening moment, when he realizes that
数月以来鼓舞士气 提高斗志
all those months of pep talks and the hype,
做好思想准备都是妄想
the psyching yourself up, had been delusional all along.
你可以从福斯特神色中看出来
You could see it in Frost’s face.
他如果在采访开始之前
If he didn’t know the caliber of the man
不知对面这个人的能耐
that he was up against before the interview started,
总统回答第一个问题时他也一定明白了
he certainly knew it halfway through the President’s first answer.
你瞧 最好的建议
NIXON: You see, since the best advice is
莫过于机密多样性
almost always of the confidential variety,
现在磁带的事情为公众所知
now the tapes have been made public,
人们就不大可能自如的
people are unlikely ever to feel comfortable
在白宫侃侃而谈了
speaking in confidence at the White House.
他们也更不可能提出那样的建议 最终
They’re less likely to offer that advice. So in the end,
整个政♥治♥系统
it’s the whole political system and,
乃至这个国家会遭受负面影响
by implication, it’s the country that suffers.
“有种”的开场白也就这样了
So much for our “ballsy” opening.
那么您什么时候决定…
So when did you actually decide…
您什么时候知道自己将会引退?
At what moment did you know you were going to resign?
很不错 很不错
That’s good. That’s good.
我记得很清楚 是七月二十三号♥
I remember exactly. It was July 23.
那天之后南方的民♥主♥党人
After it was clear the Southern Democrats
仍然明确反对弹劾总统
that were still against impeachment had
却受到了来自众议长的压力
had the screws put on them by the Speaker of the House.
那晚我对艾尔·海格说 “好了 就这样了 任期结束了”
That night I said to Al Haig, “Well, that’s it. There goes the presidency.”
当然喽 你知道 在那种局面下艾尔
And, of course, you know, being Al,
极力劝我打消念头
he tried to talk me out of it.
还有副总统福特 我是说 不要忘了
And Vice President Ford, I mean, let’s not forget
我下台 受益最大的是他
he had the most to gain personally from my stepping down,
他仍然坚信
he was still absolutely convinced that
我们会赢得弹劾表决
we were gonna win the impeachment vote,
– 不费吹灰之力 – 约翰 我们得做点什么
and comfortably. John, we have to do something.
我们得扭转局面
We have to move this along.
情况糟透了 约翰 做点什么
This is desperate, John. Do something.
23分钟回答一个问题?
Twenty-three minutes on one question?
好吧 咱们休息一下
Okay, let’s take a break.
换带子 来吧 老兄
Let’s change the tapes. Come on, man.
停止拍摄
Stop tape.
对不起 先生们
DIRECTOR: I’m sorry, gentlemen.
我们得休息片刻 换带子
We have to take a break. Tape change.
噢 好的 刚才怎样? 你得到想要的材料了吗?
Oh. Okay, how’s that? You getting what you need?
刚刚太棒了
It’s fantastic.
好的 好的 谢谢你
Good. Good. Thank you.
不好意思 借过一下 先生
Excuse me. One moment, sir.
好的 没问题 不急
NIXON: Yeah, sure. Take your time.
你在干嘛 戴维? 你得让他别再唠唠叨叨
What are you doing, David? You’ve got to stop him rambling.
没关系的 只是开场对话而已
It’s all right. These are just introductory exchanges.
但这次拍摄只有两小时
But this session only lasts two hours.
时间差不多过半 而我们在浪费宝贵资源 好吗?
Nearly half of it’s gone, and we’re wasting valuable material, okay?
他决定引退那一刻
The moment that he made the decision to resign,
我们该在那上面得分
we should be scoring points with that stuff.
想让我转谈越南吗?
Want me to switch to Vietnam?
不不 我们一定要从引退那晚
No. No. We’ve got to get something
挖掘点东西出来 好吗?
out of that resignation night. All right?
那是尼克松最失意的时刻 遭受重创 双膝跪地?
That was Nixon at his lowest point, a total wreck. On his knees?
和基辛格一同祈祷? 来吧 你得把他钉死在那上面
Praying with Kissinger? Come on, you can nail him with that stuff.
听着 那还好吧?
Listen, was that okay?
完美 先生
Perfect, sir.
听起来没有傲慢自大或只谋私利吧?
It didn’t sound too arrogant or self-serving?
一点也没有 您听起来控制得当 公正无私 有政♥治♥家风范
Not at all. You sounded controlled, even-handed, statesmanlike.
很好
Good.
接下来就按这种方式继续
Now continue exactly the same way.
回答要长 控制好节奏
Long answers. Control the space.
别让他有机可乘
Don’t let him in.
好 明白了
Okay, got you.
安排好了 开拍
DAVIS: Set. And roll.
三号♥机 四 三 二…
We’re coming back on camera three in four, three, two and…
读一读您在任最后数日的记录
Reading the account of those extraordinary final days,
您最情感流露的时刻似乎是
it seems your most emotional moment came
和亨利·基辛格倾心而谈的时候
in that heart-to-heart you had with Henry Kissinger.
那该是您从政以来情绪最激动的时刻吧?
Was that perhaps the most emotional moment of your career?
– 好的 好的 – 是的
RESTON: Good, good. NIXON. Yes.
我要说那差不多是情绪最激动的时刻
I would say it was about as emotional a moment as I’ve ever had.
除了 嗯 你知道 这很难说