李斯顿要怎么办呢
What are we gonna do about Reston?
他是个疯子 情绪不稳定
Well, the man’s an idiot. He’s overemotional.
让他回家吧
Send him home.
-我认为他应该留下 -为什么
Well, I think he should stay. Why?
我欣赏他的…激♥情♥
I liked his passion.
他会让我们生不如死的
He will drive us all bloody mad.
也许吧 不过有时候从安乐窝里走出来
Well, maybe, but sometimes being out of your comfort zone
是件好事 别人是这么说的
is a good thing, I’m told.
他留下
He stays.
宴会上我坐在毛夫人的旁边
I took my seat next to Mrs. Mao at the banquet table.
一个总统需要面对的难题之一
Now, one of the challenges of life as a president
就是没完没了的鸡尾酒会 各种社交场合 还有宴会
is the endless round of cocktail parties, social engagements, banquets.
认识我的人会告诉你
And people who know me would tell you
与人寒暄不是我的长项
that small talk is not one of my strong suits, either. No.
特别是用中文
Particularly not in Mandarin.
所以我和毛夫人只是互相对看着
So Mrs. Mao and I, we just, well, you know, stared at one another.
桌子那头 尼克松夫人和毛主席
And then across the table, Mrs. Nixon and Chairman Mao himself, well,
他们也只是看着彼此
they stared at one another, too.
再看看基辛格博士
And then further down, Dr. Kissinger
和他们的外♥交♥部♥长
and their foreign minister, well,
我不说你们也明白了
you’re getting the picture now.
我受不了了 杰克!
I can’t stand it, Jack!
堂堂一个总统的事迹 变成了饭桌上的名人轶事
Reducing the presidency to a series of banal anecdotes.
我觉得自己就像只马戏团的动物
I feel like a circus animal doing tricks.
还有 我以为我交代得很明白了!
And I thought I made it clear!
不会回答任何跟水门有关的问题 见鬼!
I didn’t want to take any questions on Watergate, damn it!
一到问题时间
Soon as it came to question time,
那些个狗♥娘♥养♥的除了水门 别的什么也不问!
all those sons of bitches ever want to hear about is Watergate!
就好像我其他的丰功伟绩都一文不值
It’s as if all my other achievements have ceased to exist.
先生 你很快就有机会
Well, sir, you’re gonna get a chance
可以谈谈你的丰功伟绩了
to talk about them sooner than you think.
怎么个状况
Yeah? How?
福斯特做到了 他弄到了钱
Frost got there. He got the money.
什么?
What?
我听说大部分是借的
I understand most of it’s borrowed,
他的朋友们帮了他
that his friends have bailed him out.
重点是 我们三月底开始录
But the point is, we start taping at the end of March.
是吗 那太好了
Really? Now, that’s terrific.
水门占多少比重
How much time is devoted to Watergate?
百分之25 4个90分钟访谈中的一个而已
25%. Just one of four 90-minute shows.
其他三个是谈什么
What are the other three divided into?
内政 外交政策
Domestic Affairs, Foreign Policy,
以及”尼克松这个人”
and Nixon the Man.
“尼克松这个人”?
“Nixon the Man”?
跟什么相比 “尼克松这匹马”?
As opposed to what? Nixon the horse?
我猜是有关自传一样的东西
Well, I imagine it’s some kind of biographical piece.
我都能看到那画面了 我父亲离开我 死了一个哥哥一个弟弟
I can see it now. The father that neglected me, the brothers that died.
饶了我吧
Spare me.
不过 这件事能成 总是件好事不是吗
Still, now, the fact it’s come together, now, that’s a good thing, no?
总统先生 是件大好事
Mr. President, it’s fantastic.
福斯特的脑力跟您没法比
Frost is just not in your intellectual class, sir.
到时候您就可以牵制他 重新建立起威信
You’re gonna be able to dictate terms, rebuild your reputation.
如果做得好 够多人看到 并对您的态度改观的话
If this went well, if enough people saw it, revised their opinion,
您就可以比原计划提早很多地东移回去
you could move back East way, way earlier than we expected.
你觉得? 我敢肯定
You think? I’m certain.
如果能回到一切发生的地方是最好不过
It would be so good to go back to where the action is.
你知道吗
You know?
我肚子里的饥饿感还在 杰克
The hunger in my belly is still there, Jack.
成不成就看水门处理得怎么样了对吧
I guess it all boils down to Watergate, huh?
没什么好担心的 先生
Well, that’s nothing to worry about, sir.
又不会有什么新的消息披露
It’s not as if there’s gonna be any revelations.
那些东西已经对过一百万次了
That stuff’s been combed over a million times.
没有什么东西可以指控您的
No one has pinned anything on you.
话虽如此 我已经很久都没有
Yeah, still, it’s been a while
正正经经谈论过它了
since I spoke about it on the record.
看来我得去做做功课
I’m gonna start doing my homework.
对了 你知道什么会有帮助吗
Hey, you know what would be an interesting thing to find out?
了解他什么策略
What his strategy is.
他住在哪里来着?
Now, where’s he staying?
我记得是比佛利希尔顿酒店
I believe The Beverly Hilton.
你说的是比佛利希尔顿
The Beverly Hilton, you say.
我这有电♥话♥号♥码
Well, I got the numbers someplace
可以叫几个人过去
of some fellows that we could send in.
有中情局身手的古巴人
Cubans with CIA training.
天啊 杰克 我在开玩笑
Jesus, Jack, it was a joke.
是 先生
Yes, sir.
一个星期以后 我们和家人告了别
RESTON. A week later, we said goodbye to our families,
坐上飞机 入住了比佛利希尔顿酒店
we hopped on a plane, and we moved into The Beverly Hilton.
在那我们开始进行资料调查
And that’s where we started to dig into our research
和为专访的准备工作
and prepare for the interviews.
我们当然也为保密工作
Yeah, as it happens, we took
下了一番功夫
the whole question of security very seriously.
从第一天开始 我们就把所有的文件锁在一个保险柜里
BIRT. And from day one, we kept all our files in a locked safe.
迈克采访的那个人叫什么来着? 是不是哈德曼?
Who was the guy that Mike interviewed? Was that Haldeman?
-是哈德曼 -哈德曼 还有埃利希曼
BIRT: Haldeman. RESTON: Haldeman. And Ehrlichman, too.
德国人的名字我总搞混
I always get the Germans mixed up.
我有点不太明白
I’m a little confused by that.
什么是哈德曼的官方… 你好啊 亲爱的
What is Haldeman’s official… Hello, darling.
接下来一个月的工作 我们分成三个部分
As for the work over the months, we divided it into three sections.
伯特负责越南 鲍勃负责内政和外交
Birt took Vietnam, Bob took Foreign and Domestic Policy,
我负责水门和滥用职权方面
and I got Watergate and the abuses of power.
说到戴维 我们很少看到他
And David, we never really saw much of David.
好吧 那关于休斯敦计划呢 (尼克松政♥府♥制定的全国性间谍活动)
RESTON: All right, so what about the Huston Plan?
甚至可以看到肮脏伎俩在成形
You can see the seeds of dirty tricks.
这实际上就是要把肮脏伎俩合法化
Essentially, it’s an attempt to legalize dirty tricks.
记下来让戴维在问题里提出
That’s why you gotta get David to put it in the question.
对学生进行窃听一事
Wiretapping students.
但他们追那笔钱追到了他那里
NIXON ON TAPE. But they’ve traced the money to him.
查看别人的邮件
RESTON: Opening people’s mail.
窃听器的事怎么说?
What about wiretapping?
他窃听了多少人来着?
How many people has he wiretapped?
他一共窃听了17人
This guy wiretapped 17 people.
17人?
BIRT: Seventeen?
包括他的亲弟弟
Including his own brother.
不过我觉得也不能怪他
But you know what? We can’t ask him about his brother,
要是多拿尔德·尼克松是我弟弟
’cause frankly, if Donald Nixon was my brother,
我也会给他装窃听器的
I’d wiretap him, too.
等一下 我们现在有 撬门和闯入
RESTON: But wait, okay, so we have breaking and entering.
窃听 和阴谋提供性服务
We have wiretapping, conspiracy to foster prostitution.
是利迪对吗 (尼克松的法律顾问 水门事件指挥者之一)
And that’s Liddy, right?
奈特埃尔食品店的外卖♥♥来了
Delivery courtesy of Nate ‘n Al’s
最美味的汉堡
finest deli selection.
我们需要些纸巾
We’re going to need napkins. We’d better have some napkins.
对于柬埔寨的问题要怎么问
How do we frame a question about Cambodia,
关于在柬埔寨的非法轰炸?
about the illicit bombing of Cambodia?
我觉得你可以问
I think you should say,
“您如何判定 一件事不需要通过民♥主♥投票
“How far do you take executive privilege
就可以自行做决定?”
“before it becomes an undemocratic event?”
我认为你可以利用他贵格会教♥徒♥的身份
I think you frame the question to him as a Quaker.
“身为一个基♥督♥的信奉者 您觉得屠♥杀♥一个民族是正义的吗”
“How do you feel as a Quaker about annihilating an entire people?”
他们是不是真的想买♥♥我们的节目
FROST: Come on. Are they really interested in buying time?
会不会给我们钱
Are they going to give us the money?
他们到底是不是认真的?
How serious are they?
那你就得把他刻画成一个 反民♥主♥主义份子
You have to set up that he has an anti-democratic personality.
他的绰号♥可是叫”滑头迪克”
There’s a reason they call him Tricky Dick.
由于我写了很多关于尼克松的文章 并一直关注着他
Because I had written about and watched Nixon for years,
所以我在彩排里扮演他的角色
I got to play him in our rehearsals.
就是说 其他几个会扔给我一个问题
You know, the fellas would throw me a question,
我就会用他的思考方式 给出他可能给出的答案
and I would try and anticipate what his response might be.
关于在白宫安插窃听器
BIRT: Okay, the White House taping system.

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!