你可以把它拿回去帖在纽约家里的墙上
There. Now you can put that in your apartment in New York,
让你的自♥由♥党朋友们拿它当飞镖靶子
and all your liberal friends can use it as a dartboard.
我其实目前住在蒙特卡罗
Well, actually, I’m living in Monte Carlo at the moment.
是这样啊
Really?
再见 总统先生
Yes. Goodbye, Mr. President.
听我说一句
Hey. Take my advice.
你应该娶了她
You should marry that woman.
是的 她很美对不对
Yes. Lovely, isn’t she?
更重要的是 她是摩纳哥人
More important than that, she comes from Monaco.
那边不用付税
They pay no taxes there.
-再见了 -再见
Bye-bye. Goodbye.
我猜一定是
I bet you it did.
是什么?
What?
钱是他自己掏的
Come out of his own pocket.
他没有办法直视我
You know, he couldn’t look me in the eye.
我听说电视台都不支持他
Well, I hear the networks aren’t biting.
没有电视台 也不会有经纪人愿意做他的代表
Without the networks, the ad agencies don’t want to know.
要是问我 我觉得很有可能
So if you ask me, there’s a good chance
这整件事就黄了
this whole thing may never happen.
是吗 就是说刚才见个面就花了他20万?
Really? So that meeting we just had might have cost him $200,000?
是的
Correct.
早知道就给他倒杯茶了
Had I known that, I would have offered him a cup of tea.
你有没有注意到他的鞋子?
Say, did you notice his shoes?
没有
No.
意大利产的 没有鞋带 你觉得怎么样
Italian. No laces. What do you think?
之前也有人想让我穿那种的
My people tried to get me to wear a pair like that.
我认为一个男人的鞋子应该有鞋带 先生
I think a man’s shoes should have laces, sir.
你这么觉得?
You do?
我个人觉得那些意大利鞋太娘娘腔了
Yeah. Personally, I find those Italian shoes very effeminate.
确实
Yes, quite right.
我很抱歉 戴维 但是答案是不行
NBC EXECUTIVE. I’m sorry, David, but it’s a no.
从我们的角度想想
Try to look at it from our point of view.
美国电视台为什么要聘用一个外人
Why would an American network hire a total outsider,
而且还是个自己的节目被取消了的?
and someone who’s already had his own show canceled, incidentally?
我明白了 你这样想我也没办法
I see. Well, I’m sorry you feel this way.
我认为你这是犯了一个大错
Obviously, I think you’re making a terrible mistake.
是NBC
NBC.
电视台是没戏了 全军覆没
Well, that’s the networks out, all of them.
那这件事只好算了
Well, that’s the end of that, then.
我很抱歉 戴维
I’m sorry, David.
现在还太早
Not so fast.
你的冒险精神哪去了
Where’s your adventurer’s spirit?
具体方法就是 我们自己出钱做
The idea is we pay for the program
自己播放 完全越过电视台
and syndicate it ourselves, completely bypassing the networks.
你想一想 就好比那晚我们自己是个电视台
Just imagine it, we’d be our own network for the night.
-你好啊 鲍勃 -你觉得这主意怎样?
Hey, Bob. FROST: How does that grab you?
进来吧 戴维正打电♥话♥
Hey, come on in. David’s on the phone.
前无古人的
FROST: No, never been done before.
是个壮举
Historic stuff.
你认真想想 然后打给我
Just think about it, okay? And call me back.
-是吗 -对
Yeah? Yeah.
戴维 我来向你介绍 吉姆·李斯顿和鲍勃·泽宁克
David, I’d like you to meet Jim Reston and Bob Zelnick,
我们的未来后援
our two prospective corner men.
很高兴见到你们
Delighted to meet you.
请进来随便坐坐
Come on in. Make yourselves at home.
鲍勃在华盛顿做了十年的
Bob’s been Washington correspondent
大众电台的外景主持
for Public Radio for the past 10 years.
明年会去ABC电视台工作
Moving to ABC in the new year.
我之所以换工作 戴维
The general feeling, David,
是因为我觉得在电台 会浪费掉我偶像级的外型
is that I have been wasting my matinee idol looks on radio.
吉姆是在北卡罗莱纳大学教书
Jim here teaches at the University of North Carolina
他正在写一本有关尼克松的 谎言 腐♥败♥ 偏执
and is writing a book about the criminal dishonesty, corruption,
以及他如何滥用职权的书
paranoia and abuses of power of Richard Nixon.
是这个题材的第二本图书了
Second on the subject.
第四本
Fourth.
非常欢迎你们的加入
Well, delighted to have you both aboard.
实际上 在我同意加入之前 我想要了解一下
Actually, before I sign on, I would like to hear
你对这次访谈的期望是什么
what you were hoping to achieve with this interview.
我的期望?
What I want to achieve?

Yeah.
吉姆 我已经拿到了12天的录影权
Jim, well, I’ve secured 12 taping days.
将近30个小时
That’s close to 30 hours
用来和这个时代里
with the most compelling and controversial politician
最受争议的政♥治♥人物交谈
of our times.
这还不够吗
Isn’t that enough?
对我来说不够
Well, not for me.
我准备要和我的家人分开一年
Look, I’d be giving up a year of my life. I’m leaving my family
去做一件 对我来说
to work on a subject matter that means more
你也能想象得到有多重要的事
than you can probably imagine,
如果这件事做成了
and the idea of doing all that
却未能达到我想要的目标
without achieving what I want to, personally,
对我来说是不可接受的
would be unthinkable to me.
不 没关系
(INTERRUPTING) FROST: No, all right.
那么你想要的是什么呢
Well, what is it that you want to achieve?
我要理查德·尼克松接受 他本就应该接受的公审
I’d like to give Richard Nixon the trial he never had.
当然 我们会问他一些刁钻的问题
Of course, we’ll be asking difficult questions.
刁钻的问题
Difficult questions.
他在职期间 葬送了2万1千个美国人
The man lost 21,000 Americans
还有1百万印度支那(越南)人的性命
and a million Indo-Chinese during his administration.
他因为福特的赦免令勉强不用坐牢
He only escaped jail because of Ford’s pardon.
对 但是如果我们用些卑劣的手段去对付他
Yes, but equally, going after him in some knee-jerk way,
权且当他是个坏蛋
you know, assuming he’s a terrible guy,
难道不会反而让大家更同情他?
wouldn’t that only create more sympathy for him than anything else?
你知道吗…
(SIGHS) You know…
我认为现在最不可能办到的事
Right now, I submit it’s impossible
就是让任何人对尼克松产生同情
to feel anything close to sympathy for Richard Nixon.
他亵渎了总统这个职位
He devalued the presidency,
让拥护他上台的这个国家千疮百孔
and he left the country that elected him in trauma.
美国人♥民♥需要看到他被定罪 只是这样 一点不复杂
The American people need a conviction, pure and simple.
整个政♥治♥体系是否还能保持尊严
The integrity of our political system,
甚至国家的民♥主♥ 都要看这能不能实现了
of democracy as an idea, entirely depends on it.
如果很多年后 人们想起现在的事
And if in years to come, people look back
然后发现是在这次访谈中
and say it was in this interview
理查德·尼克松得以漂白自己
that Richard Nixon exonerated himself,
那我们就是千古罪人了
that would be the worst crime of all.
你有没有听说迈克·华♥莱♥士♥要报道这件事?
Did you know that Mike Wallace is doing a piece on this?
在国会山和乔治城一带的酒馆里
And that in the bars around Capitol Hill and Georgetown
这整件事都被人当作笑料谈论
this entire project is a joke?
别说了 吉姆 别说了
ZELNICK: Come on. Jim, come on.
多谢了 吉姆
Thanks for that, Jim.
能不能给我们几分钟
Could you give us a couple of minutes?
-你太乱来了 -我没办法 鲍勃
You’re unbelievable. I’m sorry, Bob.
吉姆 我费了大力才把你拉进来
You know, Jim, I went way out on a limb for you.
我们还想要这份工作呢
I mean, some of us actually want this job.
我也想要啊 如果好好做的话
I want it, too, if it’s done right.
你怎么知道他们不会好好做?
Well, how do you know they’re not gonna do it right?
就那个小爵爷?
Little Lord Fauntleroy in there?
什么同情理查德·尼克松
Sympathy for Richard Nixon?
开什么玩笑… 他满口跑火车!
What the… He’s full of shit, man!
你怎么知道?
How do you know that?
迈克·华♥莱♥士♥要报道这件事么
Is Mike Wallace doing a piece on this?
好像是
Apparently.
为什么不告诉我?
Why didn’t you tell me?
跟我们无关
It isn’t relevant.
报道的视角是什么 “看来英国脱口秀主持人
What’s the angle? “British talk show host,
“还是该回去访问女明星 总统就算了吧”
“good with actresses, not so good with stonewalling presidents.”
大致就是这样
That’s the general idea, yeah.

Right.
要假装不介意还有点难
It’s hard not to feel a little insulted by that.
鲍勃明显是个专业人士
Well, Bob’s obviously a pro.

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!