GANNON: Watch your language, for crying out loud.
(ALL ARGUING)
(KNOCKING ON DOOR)
你刚刚在干嘛? 晃白旗认输 杰克?
What’d you do? Throw in the towel, Jack?
你要可怜我吗?
Did you take pity on me?
先生 我只是觉得
Sir, I just felt that
您如果打算袒露心声
if you were going to make some kind of emotional disclosure,
那我们就该缓一缓
that we should just take a moment
想清楚 打份稿子再说
to think it through, sketch it out.
我只想请您注意
I just want to impress upon you
这是一个多么紧要的关头
how crucially important this moment is
还有未经筹划的袒露心声
and how many potentially devastating consequences
能带来多少毁灭性的潜在后果
unplanned emotional disclosures could have.
我知道
I know.
但是继续接着否认一切…
But to go on and carry on denying it all…
我能这样做 我很感激
I appreciate the gesture.
我们得叫这一团糟
We ought to call it a snafu.
(WHISPERING)
杰克 我们还拍吗?
Jack, are we on?
– 继续拍 – 好了 他有充足的时间捏造
We’re on. Okay, he’s had plenty of time to cook up
一些滑溜溜的屁话 你得坚持立场
some sort of slippery new bullshit, so stay on your toes.
听着 会没事的 接着被打断的地方问
Listen, it’s gonna be fine. Pick up where you left off.
各位 还有30秒
Thirty seconds, everyone.
10秒
DAVIS: Ten seconds.
戴维? 四 三 二 …
David? Four, three, two, and…
总统先生 我们刚刚谈到
Mr. President, we were talking about
3月21日至4月30日这段时期
the period March 21 to April 30,
还有您犯的错误以及其他 我想知道
and the mistakes you made, and so on, and I was wondering
您会做出比 “错误”更严重的事吗?
would you go further than “mistakes”?
似乎人们觉得这个词 已经不能用来形容这种事情了
The word that seems not enough for people to understand.
那你要怎么表达?
Well, what word would you express?
(EXCLAIMS IN DISBELIEF)
我的天
My goodness.
好吧
All right.
既然您问我 我认为有三种说法
Since you’ve asked me, I think there are three things
人们想听到您说
that people would like to hear you say.
第一 可能不仅有过错
One, that there was probably more than mistakes.
还有违法之举
There was wrongdoing.
对 确实 也可能是犯罪之事
And, yes, it might have been a crime, too.
第二 “作为总统 我的确滥用了手中权力”
Secondly, that “I did abuse the power I had as President.”
第三 “我让美国人♥民♥
And thirdly, “I put the American people
“经历了两年不必要的痛苦
“through two years of needless agony,
“而且我为此道歉” 我知道这有多艰难
“and I apologize for that.” And I know how difficult it is
对任何人来说都难 尤其是您
for anyone, especially you,
但我认为人♥民♥需要听到您说出来
but I think the people need to hear it.
而且我还认为除非您说出来
And I think that unless you say it,
否则您的余生都不得安宁
you’re going to be haunted for the rest of your life.
是 的确 我犯了错 恶劣的错
Well, it’s true. I made mistakes, horrendous ones,
一个总统不该犯的错
ones that were not worthy of a president,
我从孩提时就一直追求优异
ones that did not meet the standards of excellence
现在却犯了与之不符的错误
that I always dreamed of as a young boy.
但是 你要是记得 那是一段艰难的时期
But, if you remember, it was a difficult time.
我五面受敌 进退维艰
I was caught up in a five-front war
和偏颇的媒体斗 和偏颇的国会斗
against a partisan media, a partisan House of Congress,
和偏颇的厄文委员会斗
a partisan Ervin Committee.
但 的确 我承认有时
But, yes, I will admit there were times
自己没有完全担负起责任
I did not fully meet that responsibility
如你所说 也参与到掩饰行动中了
and I was involved in a cover-up, as you call it.
对那些错误 我深表遗憾
And for all those mistakes I have a very deep regret.
没人能知道辞去总统职务是什么滋味
No one can know what it’s like to resign the presidency.
然而
Now,
你要是让我屈尊降地 卑躬讨好…
if you want me to get down on the floor and grovel…
不! 绝不!
No! Never!
我仍然坚持那些错是出于情感
I still insist they were mistakes of the heart.
而非理智
They were not mistakes of the head.
但那是我犯的错 不能推诿给其他人
But they were my mistakes. I don’t blame anybody.
我让自己名誉扫地
I brought myself down.
我给了他们一把剑 他们捅进我体内
I gave them a sword, and they stuck it in,
还饶有兴致的转动
and they twisted it with relish.
我估摸自己要是处于那个位置 也同样会这么做
And I guess if I’d been in their place, I’d have done the same thing.
那美国人♥民♥呢?
And the American people?
我辜负了他们
I let them down.
我辜负了朋友们
I let down my friends.
我辜负了国家
I let down the country.
还有更糟的
And worst of all,
我辜负了国家政体
I let down our system of government.
以及那些心怀梦想
And the dreams of all those young people
要从政的年轻人
that ought to get into government,
他们现在会想 “哦 太腐♥败♥了”还有别的
but now they think, “It’s all too corrupt,” and the rest.
是啊
Yeah.
(SIGHS)
我辜负了美国人♥民♥
I let the American people down,
而且我将背负这个包袱
and I’m gonna have to carry that burden with me
度过余生
for the rest of my life.
我的政♥治♥生涯结束了
My political life is over.
知道吗 电视最大的罪恶或骗术
You know, the first and greatest sin or deception of television
就是它简化 削弱
is that it simplifies, it diminishes,
伟大复杂的思想 一段时光
great, complex ideas, tranches of time.
整个职业生涯被缩减成一张快照
Whole careers become reduced to a single snapshot.
最初 我不明白为什么
At first, I couldn’t understand why
鲍勃·泽宁克不像采访期间
Bob Zelnick was quite as euphoric
那么心情愉快
as he was after the interviews,
或者为什么约翰·博特会感动到脱个精光
or why John Birt felt moved to strip naked
然后冲到海里去庆祝
and rush into the ocean to celebrate.
但那是在我真正领会
But that was before I really understood
特写具有消减的力量之前
the reductive power of the close-up.
因为戴维在最后那天成功
Because David had succeeded on that final day
尽管极为短暂 但是他做到了
in getting, for a fleeting moment,
没哪个新闻调查记者
what no investigative journalist,
哪个公诉人 哪个法官团
no state prosecutor, no judiciary committee
或者政敌能成功做到的事
or political enemy had managed to get.
理查德·尼克松的脸
Richard Nixon’s face,
肿胀了 满是孤寂 自憎 失意的神情
swollen and ravaged by Ioneliness, self-Ioathing and defeat.
访谈其他的部分及其缺陷 不但会被人遗忘
The rest of the project and its failings would not only be forgotten,
它们会被当作没有存在过
they would totally cease to exist.
(CAMERAS CLICKING)
(REPORTERS CLAMORING)
谁赢了 总统先生?
REPORTER: Who came out on top, Mr. President?
这个就是腊肠狗吗?
Is this what you call a dachshund?

Mmm-hmm.
很可爱
Very sweet.
(ENGINE STARTING)
尼克松和福斯特的访谈成功极了
The NixonlFrost interviews were wildly successful.
我想访谈吸引了美国电视新闻节目
I think they attracted the largest audience for a news program
有史以来人数最多的观众
in the history of American television.
戴维上了”时代”和”新闻周刊”的封面
David was on the cover of Time magazine and Newsweek magazine.
甚至政♥治♥记者团
And even the political press corps,
顽强坚韧的政♥治♥记者团
the hard-bitten political press corps,
给戴维打了电♥话♥ 表示悔意和祝贺
called David up with messages of contrition and congratulation.
戴维 我想说恭喜了
David, I want to say congratulations.
那些访谈?
The interviews?
没 我没看 我做不到
No, I didn’t watch them. I couldn’t.
(DISCO MUSIC PLAYING)

Hey.
你好
Hello.
我确信戴维还见过前总统一次
I believe David saw the former President just one more time.
在他离开加利福尼亚回伦敦之前
Before he left California for London again,
他开车去了圣克莱蒙说再见
he drove down to San Clemente to say goodbye.
嘿 福斯特先生 见到你真好
Hey, Mr. Frost. It’s nice to see you.
– 库欣小姐 – 您好
Miss Cushing. Hello.
别介意我穿着高尔夫球装
Please excuse my golf outfit.
这是退休人员穿的正式制♥服♥
It’s the official uniform of the retired.
你打算回家了吗?
Are you on your way home?
是的
Yes.
要进入一个充满机遇和挑战的全新光明领域了 对吧?
Into a bright new dawn of fresh enterprises and challenges, eh?

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!