Looking for a way back into the sun,
再度成为公众焦点 再次坐上赢家宝座的方式
into the limelight, back onto the winner’s podium.
因为我们感觉那一切正渐行渐远
Because we could feel it slipping away.
我们 我们俩人 正朝着尘埃走去!
We were headed, both of us, for the dirt!
势利鬼们总说那就是我们的下场
A place the snobs always told us that we’d end up.
我们会弄得灰头土脸
Face in the dust.
忍♥辱负重 艰辛努力越多 受的羞辱就更多
Humiliated all the more for having tried so pitifully hard.
那就随他妈去吧!
Well, to hell with that!
我俩决不能让那发生
We’re not gonna let that happen, either of us.
我们要让那些白♥痴♥看看
We’re gonna show those bums.
让他们在我们的屡屡成功中喘不过气来
We’re gonna make them choke on our continued success,
头条反复报道我们 我们永享嘉奖 权利 荣耀!
our continued headlines, our continued awards and power and glory!
要让那些干♥他♥♥娘♥的♥喘不过气来!
We are gonna make those motherfuckers choke!
我说对了没?
Am I right?
– 说对了 – 只不过我们之间只有一人能赢
You are. Except only one of us can win.
是的
Yes.
而我会成为你最凶狠的对手
And I shall be your fiercest adversary.
我会竭尽所有攻击你
I shall come at you with everything I got,
因为聚光灯只会照耀我们之中一人
because the limelight can only shine on one of us.
对另一个人来说 只剩一片荒芜
And for the other, it’ll be the wilderness,
一无所有 孤身一人
with nothing and no one for company
但那些声音却留在记忆之中
but those voices ringing in our head.
你大概听得出 我喝了些酒
You can probably tell I’ve had a drink.
喝得不多 一两杯吧
It’s not too many. Just one or two.
但你得相信
But you believe me,
时机一到 我就会集中精力 准备好战斗
when the time comes, I’m gonna be focused and ready for battle.
晚安 福斯特先生
Good night, Mr. Frost.
晚安
Good night,
总统先生
Mr. President.
要还是不要干酪? 我买♥♥了汉堡
So with or without cheese? I brought burgers.
戴维?
David?
我得工作了
I’ve got to work.
那到底是哪个混球做的?
NIXON ON TAPE. Well, who was the asshole that did?
天 是利迪吗?
Jesus, is that Liddy?
他一定有点傻
He must be a little nuts.
是 他是傻
HALDEMAN. Yeah, he is.
我说 他就是想不清楚 对吧?
NIXON. I mean, he just isn’t well screwed on, is he?
问题不就是在此么?
Isn’t that the problem?
是的 去他们的总统顾问团 还有其他人
Yeah, screw the Cabinet and the rest of those.
但别再想着要得好处了 从现在开始 直接来找我
But no more sucking around. From now on, they come to me.
有一件事 一定要办成
There is one thing that I want done,
而且我不想有人和我争论
and I don’t want any argument about it.
我要你派最值得信任的人
I want you to direct the most trusted person you have
去移♥民♥局
in the Immigration Service
去查看”洛杉矶时报”的所有活动
that they are to look over all the activities at the Los Angeles Times.
更要紧的是 他们要派一队人去
AII, underlined. And they are to send their teams in to see
看他们是不是违反了”湿背人”法案 (指非法由墨西哥进入美国的劳工)
whether they are violating the wetback thing.
– 知道了没有? – 知道了 先生
Is that clear? MITCHELL. Yes, sir.
(TAPE REWINDING)
你揭开旧伤疤 就能发现很多
NIXON. You open that scab, there’s a hell of a lot of things that
至关重要的东西
we just feel that it would be very detrimental
能让这事更进一步
to have this thing go any further.
(TELEPHONE RINGING)
喂?
Hello?
吉姆 我是戴维
Jim, it’s David.
嘿 几点了?
Hey. What time is it?
你在特区会待到什么时候?
How much longer are you gonna be in D.C. For?
周二 待到周二
Tuesday. Till Tuesday.
很好 还记得你提起过
Great. Well, you remember you mentioned
要去联邦法♥院♥图书馆吗?
going to the Federal Courthouse library?
亲爱的 你能去看看吗?
(BABY CRYING) Honey, can you check on him, please?
记得 去找和寇尔森有关的东西?
Yes, for the Colson stuff?
是的 周末我一直在读资料
Well, I’ve been doing a little light reading this end,
还记得关于尼克松和寇尔森的会面
and you remember that hunch you had about the meeting
你直觉有戏吗?
between Nixon and Colson?
嗯哼 你怎么想?
Uh-huh. What are you thinking?
三天后
(KNOCKING ON DOOR)
(KNOCKING CONTINUES)
– 嘿 – 嘿
Hey. Hey.
早上好
Good morning.
如何?
And?
(TRIUMPHANT INSTRUMENTAL MUSIC PLAYING)
打扰一下 先生
Excuse me, sir.
已经8点半了 鲍勃 你见到戴维了吗?
It’s 8:30. Bob, have you seen David?
没有 福斯特没来 莱斯顿也没来
No. No Frost, no Reston.
(ELEVATOR BELL DINGS)
– 早 – 早上好 来吧 咱们走
Morning. Good morning. Come on, let’s go.
这是怎么回事?
What’s that about?
他第一次来晚了
BIRT: First time he’s late.
总统先生!
REPORTER: Mr. President!
(CROWD CLAMORING)
早
Morning.
(DOOR OPENS)
(INDISTINCT)
总统先生
Mr. President.
福斯特先生
Mr. Frost.
还有30秒开拍!
DAVIS: Thirty seconds to tape roll!
30秒 准备 准备好了
Thirty seconds. Settling. Settle.
要是今天的访谈和您的电♥话♥有半分相似的话 那就是爆♥炸♥性的
Well, if today’s session is anything like our phone call, it should be explosive.
什么电♥话♥?
What phone call?
打到我酒店房♥间的电♥话♥
The phone call to my hotel room.
戴维 三号♥机开拍 四 三 二 …
DAVIS: David, starting on camera three in four, three, two and…
现在 回顾您在任的最后一年
Now, looking back on your final year in office,
您认为自己曾妨碍司法了吗
do you feel you ever obstructed justice
或说曾经参与密谋掩盖罪行或妨碍司法了吗?
or were part of a conspiracy to cover up or obstruct justice?
没有
No.
而且我觉得很有意思 你使用了”妨碍司法”这个词
And I’m interested that you used the term “obstruction of justice.”
尤其是 你大概也没读过宪法中
Now, you perhaps have not read the statute
有关妨碍司法的内容
with regard to the obstruction of justice.
很不凑巧 我读过
As it happens, I have.
读了 你是说? 那么你就知道那不仅需要一项行为
You have, you say? Well, then, you’ll know it doesn’t just require an act.
还需要明确的不良动机
It requires a specific corrupt motive.
然而在此案之中 我并没有不良动机
And in this case, I didn’t have a corrupt motive.
我做的不过是为了政♥治♥遏制的目的
What I was doing was in the interests of political containment.
即使如此 您行为的
Be that as it may, the direct consequences
直接后果就导致了
of your actions would have been
两名有罪的窃贼
that two of the convicted burglars
可以逃脱刑事诉讼
would have escaped criminal prosecution.
这又如何能不被称为掩盖罪行或妨碍司法呢?
Now, how can that not be a cover-up or obstruction of justice?
这个嘛 福斯特先生 我认为 审判记录证明
Well, I think the record shows, Mr. Frost,
那绝不能称之为妨碍司法
that far from obstructing justice,
我是很积极的配合司法
I was actively facilitating it.
联邦调查局的帕特·格雷给我打电♥话♥ 那天是7月6日
When Pat Gray of the FBI telephoned me, this was July 6,
我说 “帕特 你尽管放手去调查好了”
I said, “Pat, you go right ahead with your investigation.”
你大概不能说那是妨碍司法吧
That’s hardly what you’d call obstructing justice.
嗯 也许是吧 但7月6日之前两周
Well, that may be, but for two weeks prior to July 6,
我们现在已经知道您是极力
we now know that you were desperately
想遏制或阻挠案件调查的
trying to contain or block the investigation.
不不 等一会 我是…
No, no. Hang on a minute there. I wasn’t…
– 不不 – 妨碍司法就是妨碍司法
No, no. Obstruction of justice is obstruction of justice,
不论是妨碍了一分钟还是五分钟
whether it’s for a minute or five minutes,
而且也没必要辩护说您的计划失败了
and it’s no defense to say that your plan failed.
我是说 假如我想抢劫银行却失败了 就无可辩护了
I mean, if I try to rob a bank and fail, that’s no defense.
说到底我还是想抢银行
I still tried to rob the bank.
你能不能稍等片刻 福斯特先生?
Will you just wait one minute there, Mr. Frost?
没有任何证据表明我曾…
There is no evidence of any kind that I was…
然而没有证据的
Well, the reason there is no evidence
原因却是18分30秒
is because 18 and a half minutes
鲍勃·霍尔德曼在六月期间谈话的磁带
of the conversation with Bob Haldeman from this June period
很神秘的被清除了
have mysteriously been erased.
那是个不幸的疏忽
That was an unfortunate oversight.
而鲍勃·霍尔德曼一直一丝不苟
And Bob Haldeman is a rigorous
勤勤恳恳的记笔记
and a conscientious note taker.
他的笔记还在 人人都可以看
His notes are there for all to see.
我们还找到了比笔记更好的