All that stuff has to go in the dumpster.
聘任教师的季节快结束了
The hiring season was ending.
我的面试机会没了
My interviews had dried up.
学校已经开学
School had started.
我没时间 也没钱
I was running out of time and money…
希望也荡然无存
and hope.
黛安
Diane.
我不指望你会来找我了 所以我直接来找你
I gave up on you ever coming to me, so I just came to you.
你在忙吗
You busy?
是我的继母黛安 她想用贝果来拉拢我
It was my stepmom, Diane. Trying to build bridges with bagels.
你♥爸♥是凭双手打造他的事业
Your Dad built his business with his own two hands
他希望你能参与 你不能怪他
you can’t blame him for wanting you to be a part of it.
他只是在尽爸爸的本份
He’s just being a dad.
他希望你融入他的人生
He wants you in his life.
你喜欢亚特兰大吗
So how do you like Atlanta?
有没有认识好女孩
You meet any nice girls?
我讲话都讲不到重点 对吧
I’m just saying all the right things, huh?
我再帮你倒一杯
Let me get you a refill
布莱德…
Brad. Brad,
你♥爸♥很爱你
your dad loves you…
非常爱你
…so much.
他只是不想看到你受伤
He just doesn’t want to see you get hurt
最让我受伤的是 他从来就不接受真正的我
The only thing that hurts is the fact that he has never accepted who I am.
他脑海里有个完美儿子的形象
See, he’s got this idea of a perfect son,
他很正常 做的都是正常的事
who is “normal” and does “normal” things.
我永远也不可能正常
Well, I’m never gonna be “normal”
也许那不是他本意
Well, maybe that’s not his idea, Brad.
也许是你的想法
Maybe that’s yours.
你说得对 你是不正常
And you’re right, you are not normal.
你有教学的天分
You have this gift to teach,
这不是克服了妥瑞症的障碍
and it’s not in spite of your Tourette’s,
而是因为妥瑞症
it’s because of it.
我要先走了
I have to go.
现在球传到三垒 再传到一垒 目前是一好一坏
准备投球 外侧过低的滑球
两好一坏
嗨 我是布莱德
Hello, this is Brad.
对 我养了牧羊犬
Yes. That’s a sheepdog.
对 布莱德…布莱德科恩
ep, Brad. Brad Cohen.
十点 我没问题
Ten o’clock is is perfect for me.
好的
Absolutely.
好 好极了
OK, great.
山景小学
举手
Raise your hand.
举手 你们要先举手 来
Raise your hand! You gotta raise your hand! Come on.
你是布莱德科恩吧
You must be Brad Cohen.
我是吉姆欧贝 本校的校长
I’m Jim Ovbey I’m the Principal around here.
-希乐莉史崔卡 副校长 -嗨
-Hilarie Straka, Assistant Principal. -Hi.
进办公室聊 布莱德
Come on in the office, Brad.
听说你大老远从停车场过来
We heard you coming all the way from the parking lot.
听说你每间学校都跑遍了
Hear you’ve been making the rounds.
目前为止是25间
Twenty-five schools so far.
-这是我的履历表 -给我吧
-And, uh, here’s, here’s my resume. -Oh. Here. Oh.
我们待会儿再看 布莱德
We can look at that in a minute, Brad.
先进来 谈谈你为什么想当老师
Just come on in, tell us why you want to be a teacher.
好
OK.
这是我毕生最大的愿望
Well, it’s, uh, oh, it’s, it’s all I ever wanted to be.
从我还在念书到现在
Ever since I was in school.
一定有什么好老师激励了你
You must have had some pretty inspiring teachers.
是有校长激励了我 麦尔先生
Ah, well. I had an inspiring principal Mr. Myer
但我的老师们
but my teachers,
给我的启发 都只是让我别像他们一样
they really only inspired me to be the kind of teachers they never were.
那你要当怎样的老师
What kind of teacher is that?
就算学生与众不同 也要给他学习的机会
One who makes it possible for a kid to learn even if he’s different.
我最好的老师应该算是妥瑞症吧
In a way, the, the best teacher I ever had was my Tourette’s.
-布莱德 你可以不必谈这个 -没关系啦
-You, you don’t have to talk about that, Brad. -No, it’s OK.
我早就下定决心要直言不讳了
I make a point of being open about it.
我从来不给学生们设限
It’s, ah, never off-limits to my students.
他们随时可以问我任何问题
They can ask me anything they want about it at any time.
有些问题想必很有趣吧
You must get some pretty interesting questions.
对 有时候会牵涉到隐私
Oh, yeah. Sometimes it gets really personal.
希望这个问题对你不会太隐私
I hope this question isn’t too personal, Brad.
你睡觉时会不会发出怪声
Do you make those noises in your sleep?
我不知道 我睡着了啊
I don’t know. I’m asleep.
不是啦 我睡觉时不会发出怪声
No. No, I don’t tic in my sleep.
我放松时就不会发出怪声了
When I’m relaxed, the noises give me a little bit of a break.
比如现在
Like just now.
好吧 我想多了解你的教学理念
Okay Brad. I want to hear more about your teaching philosophy…
好 我很乐意分享我的教学理念
Yeah. I’d love to tell you about my teaching philosophy.
我们聊了将近两个小时 这是我最棒的一次面试经验
We talked for nearly two hours, it was the best interview I’d ever had
-布莱德 很高兴认识你 -我也是
-Well, Brad, it was a pleasure to meet you. -You, too. You, too.
我们还要再面试几位老师
We’ve still got a few more teachers to interview.
一旦决定好就会通知你
But we’ll let you know when we’ve made a decision.
好 太好了
Ok, great.
-谢谢 -谢谢两位
-Thank you. -Thank you…
谢谢
Thank you
我这多年的同伴还是一样 警告我不要抱太大的失望
Still, my Constant Companion, as always, warned me not to get my hopes up.
但希望是很难戒掉的习惯
But hope is a hard habit to break.
我最后一次被找去
I was called one last time to
和二年级的教职员面谈
and asked come in and meet with the second grade staff.
你有教过二年级
Oh, so, you student-taught second grade?
我超爱二年级
Oh, I love second grade!
那些小孩都像海绵一样
The kids are still so open-minded.
不管教他们什么都可以吸收
They’re open to everything.
对 但还是要维持一点纪律吧
Yes, but you do manage to maintain a little discipline, right?
不能让他们什么都吸收啊
While they’re being so open?
对 我会让他们知道分寸的
I do let them know what the boundaries are. Yes.
布莱德 你觉得你要教的 最重要的是什么
So, Brad. What do you think is the most important thing you have to teach?
好 除了识字的重要性 和数学的价值以外
Yeah. Ah, well. Besides the importance of reading and the value of math…
要教他们做自己
that it’s okay to be yourself.
着色涂到线外面也没关系 反正你就是这样的人
It’s okay to color outside the lines if that’s who you are.
那就可以忽略界线吗
So it’s okay to ignore the boundaries?
不是 我没有…
No, and I didn’t…
对不起 你一直这样
I’m sorry but how can you expect
学生要怎么学习
kids to learn when you’re doing that all the time?
-拜托 布兰妲…-没关系啦
-Oh. Come on, Brenda -No, no, no. It’s OK.
这个问题很好 我想回答
It’s a valid question. I want to answer it.
学生在了解我之前 有时候会觉得我很怪 甚至可怕
Before they know me, kids sometimes do think I’m just weird, even scary.
但等我跟他们解释了妥瑞症
But, once I educate them about my Tourette’s
他们就知道科恩老师是普通人
and they see that Mr. Cohen is a real person
只是碰巧会发出一些怪声
who just happens to make funny noises,
然后他们就认同我是个好老师
well, then they accept me as a good teacher.
就像他们接受你们在座各位一样
Just like they accept all of you.
也许我们该向二年级的学生多学学
Well, maybe we should all try to be more like second-graders.
还有谁有问题要问科恩先生
Does anyone have any other questions for Mr. Cohen?
布莱德 谢谢你抽空过来
Brad thanks for coming in.
校方会跟你联络 请你耐心等
The school will be in touch with you, so just be patient.
感觉最后一次机会也搞砸了
It’s hard to be patient when you feel as though
要耐心等真的很难
you’ve blown your last chance.
而且耐心从来就不是 我多年同伴的强项
And patience never was my Constant Companion’s strong suit
那所学校应该没跟你联络吧
I’m guessing you never heard from that school.
还没有 他们还在面试
No, not yet. They’re still interviewing.
我不担心
I’m not worried.
好吧
Okay.
这是什么意思
Is that supposed to mean?
我只是说 好吧
I just said “okay”.
我懂你的意思
I know what you mean
你觉得还有别的选择 人家就不会选中我
you don’t think anybody would hire me if they had a choice.
你是怎样 会读心术吗
What are you, a mind-reader now?
爸 今天是我最后一天上班
You know what, Dad? This is gonna be my last day here?
你怎么不等找到工作再说
Well, why don’t you wait and see if you got the job first?
我一定会找到工作的
I’m gonna get the job, Dad.
只是我要保持专注