我一回到家 爸妈就关窗户 拉上百叶窗
I come home and my parents close the windows and blinds
因为他们不想让邻居看到我的症状
because they don’t want the neighbors to see me tic.
根本没人尝试着要被人接受
No one was even trying to be accepted.
大人都没工作 小孩都待在家
The audits were out of work. The kids stayed at home.
有件事我可以确定
I knew one thing…
我不想跟他们一样
I didn’t want to be like them.
就连他球队的教练都不接受他
Even the coaches on his team wouldn’t accept him.
我受够了
Oh, I’d had it.
你们也是在家自学吧
Of course, you’re home-schooling, too?
没有 布莱德跟别的小孩一样上学
No. Brad goes to school like any other kid.
这些小孩跟别的小孩不一样
These kids are not like any other kids
上学对他们来说是浪费时间
school’s a waste of time for them.
他三年级我就让他休学了 免得我失去了理智
I took him out at the third grade just to save my sanity.
听我的劝 你也照做吧
You want my advice…you’ll do the same.
好 谢谢你
Yep. Thanks.
波波 我们走
Let’s go, Bobo.
这是互助团体耶 哪里互助了
It’s supposed to be a support group! Where’s the support?
难道要一辈子躲在家里吗
Supposed to just hide away for the rest of your life?
对不起 我不该带你来这里
I’m really so sorry that I brought you there, honey,
还是算了吧
let’s just forget this
妈 我不想算了
I don’t want to forget this, Mom.
那些人向妥瑞症妥协 但我是绝对不会放弃的
Those people let Tourette’s win. I’m never gonna do that.
很难想像我才12岁
It’s difficult to imagine that at the age of twelve
就领悟了人生的哲学
I would find a genuine philosophy to live by.
但这就是我决定性的一刻
But here it was. This defining moment.
永远都要正面迎战对手
To always face my adversity head on.
我下次去面试 决定更坦白一点
When I went to my next interview, I decided to be even more up front.
先把我有妥瑞症的事讲清楚
Get the Tourette’s stuff out of the way first
再把我的教学理念告诉对方
and then dazzle ’em with my approach to teaching.
从你的资料看来 你虽然有妥瑞症 但做得很成功
you seem to have been very successful…in spite of your Tourette’s.
我很努力地想当个好老师
I’ve worked very hard to become the best teacher I can be
-谢谢你抽空过来 我再通知你 -谢谢
-Thank you for coming in. I’ll let you know. -Thanks.
坦白也没用啦
So much for being up front.
我第三次面试决定要
For my third interview,
完全不提我的妥瑞症
I decided to discussing about my Tourette’s at all.
我每个礼拜都会寄进度报告 给每位学生的家长
Each week I like to send home a progress report to my students’ parents.
我希望学生在学习过程中 要多发表意见
Um, I like to give my students a voice in their learning to be hands-on…
在课堂上要实作和互动
and interactive in the classroom…
同时也要让家长密切参与
but also to keep the parents closely involved!
朗恩 不提我的妥瑞症是一大失策
Ron, it was a huge mistake not mentioning my Tourette’s.
-这就表示我想掩饰 -没希望了啦
-It was, you know, I was trying to hide it -Fat chance.
好吧 这是负面想法
Okay, that’s the negative
不 你别再给自己压力了
No. The negative is you’ve gotta stop stressing out.
你都压得我喘不过气了
You’re stressing me out.
但正面的态度是
But the positive is that,
别人好像不太在意嘛
hey, the others didn’t seem to have a problem with it, right?
我还是要等电♥话♥
I just, I gotta wait for a call.
正面的态度是你要跟我出去
The positive is you’re coming out with me.
我的新女友有个室友
My new girlfriend she has a roommate
你能不能别再帮我牵线
Will you stop trying to set me up?
等我准备好了就会去约会啦
When I am ready to date, I will date.
拜托 你的事她都听说了 她还是想认识你
Come on, she heard all about you she still wants to meet you.
多谢你的鸡婆
Oh thanks. Real kind. Listen,
我想放松一下 看勇士队比赛
I want to relax. OK? I want to watch the Braves.
大家都想看勇士队比赛
We all want to watch the Braves.
去换衣服啦
Get changed.
朗恩跟我说你正在积极找工作 进展的怎样
So, Ron tells me that you’re on a big job hunt. How’s it going?
还不错
Ahh, pretty good.
只是还没人录用我啦
Except no one’s hired me yet.
他们大概是在抢着要我去吧
I guess they’re all too busy fighting to get me.
你也会这样
You do this?
-好难得哦 -本来就是
-I’m impressed by this. -You should be
没想到你也会这样
I was not expecting this.
了不起
That’s amazing.
-但我很厉害 -你是啊
-But I’m pretty good. -You are.
你真的是运动迷
So you are really a sports fan?
-对 超迷的 -是喔
-Ah, yes. Big time. -OK.
足球 垒球 网球
Soccer, softball…tennis.
对 我大学时代很常运动 但还不到职业水准啦
Yep, I played a lot in college, but I’m not good enough for the pros.
我也是 但我想跟他一样棒
I hear that because I wish I was good enough to be him.
-跟谁 -他
-Who? -Him.
你想当吉祥物
Oh, you want to be a mascot?
-他叫荷马 -荷马
-His name is Homer…-Homer.
-这是我毕生的抱负 -好吧
-And it’s a lifelong ambition. -OK. All right.
-别转过去看 -好
-Don’t look now. -OK.
现在别看
Don’t look now,
我们后面有个人 不知道他哪根筋不对
but there’s this guy behind us and I don’t know what his problem is.
他一直盯着你看
He keeps staring.
我经常看到那种表情
Ahh. I actually get that look a lot.
那是羡慕的眼神
It’s a look of envy.
他在想要怎么跟我一样 发出这么酷的声音
He’s thinking, “How can l make cool noises like that guy? ”
你还满乐观面对你的…
You have such a great attitude about your…
荷马再见 再见
Bye Homer! Bye.
-再见了 朗恩 -再见
-Bye, Ron! -Bye Bye.
荷马再见 勇士队加油
Bye, Homer! Go, Braves!
进展得不错嘛 你有再约她出来吗
So that must have gone well, huh? Did you ask her out again?
有 我约了 但我有第二次约会症候群
Yeah, I asked. But, it’s second date syndrome.
我人很好 她也很风趣 只是…
You know, I’m a great guy, she had a lot of fun, but, umm…
你那些症状酷到她难以招架
Your tics are just too cool for her?
不是啦 她说是因为我室友口臭
Actually, no, she says because my roommate’s breath smells so bad.
-什么意思 -你明知故问
-What do you mean? -You know what I mean.
我是布莱德
This is Brad.
嗨 爸
Ahh, hey, Dad.
没有 朗恩有跟我说你打给我
Yeah, no, Ron, Ron told me you called.
只是我最近都忙着…
I just, ahh, you know, I’ve been so busy that, ah…
我还没吃午饭
No. I haven’t had lunch yet.
好 没问题 你想约在哪儿
All right, that sounds great. Where do you want to meet?
在爸爸工作的地方吃午饭
Lunch at Dad’s work.
这样他就不必担心我发出怪声了
He wouldn’t have to worry about my noises there.
-还要再加悬桁再跟我说 好吗 -好
-Let me know if you need any more of those trusses, OK? -All right.
-嗨 -爸爸
-Hey. -Dad.
-你找到这里了 -对啊
-See you found your way. -Yeah.
去我办公室外面吃午饭吧 那里比较隐私一点
Let’s grab lunch outside my office. Be a little more private.

All right.
黛安在问你几时会来我们家
Diane’s wondering when you’re gonna come by.
你大概在忙着找工作吧 有进展吗
I guess you’ve been pretty busy with the job hunt. Any luck?
还在面试
Still interviewing.
面试得如何
How’s that going?
他们有没有介意你的…
Are they giving you any trouble with your, uh…?
你可以说出来…妥瑞症
You can say the word, Dad: Tourette’s.
有些人介意 有些人不会
Some of them are. Some of them aren’t.
-你的钱还够用吧 -我不是来找你要钱的
-How’s your money holding out? -I’m not asking you for money.
我知道 你从来不跟我要东西
I know that. You never ask me for anything.

No.
但你缺钱随时可以来我这边工作
But if you ever do get short, you know you gotta job with me here.
爸 我要教书
I’m going to teach, Dad.
我不能让任何事妨碍我做到
OK. I can’t let anything get in the way of that.
好吧 我只是觉得多点选择 也没什么不好
OK. I’m jut saying there’s nothing wrong…
免得有些事屡试不成啦
…with keeping your options open in case things don’t work out.
除了教书以外还有很多工作
You know, there are other things besides teaching.
不适合我
Not for me.
我爸永远不懂我的乐观
Dad could never understand my optimism.
就好像我中学毕业时
Like when I graduated to middle school.
很希望事情能改观
I was really hopeful that things would be different.
怎么了 布莱德 一个人吃饭
What’s the matter Brad? Eat alone?
重新开始 换新的学校
Make a fresh start. New school.
交新的朋友
New friends.
结果一样
Same result.
今天我们要教的是分数
Today, we’re going to be talking about fractions.
分数是你的好朋友
Fractions are your friend…

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!