我这不是要逃
I’m not running.
那天 没有缘由地
That day, for no particular reason,
我决定出去跑一圈
I decided to go for a little run.
于是我跑到了路的尽头
So, I ran to the end of the road,
当我跑到那里时
and when I got there,
我想着要不跑到镇子的另一头去吧
I thought maybe I’d run to the end of town.
卡特总统由于中暑
President Carter, suffering from heat exhaustion,
跌入了…
fell into the arms of…
当我跑到那里后
And when I got there,
我就想着干脆横穿绿弓县吧
I thought maybe I’d just run across Greenbow County.
然后我想既然已经跑了这么远
And I figured since I’d run this far,
不如就跑遍整个阿♥拉♥巴马州吧
maybe I’d just run across the great state of Alabama.
我真这么做了
And that’s what I did.
我跑步横穿了阿♥拉♥巴马州
I ran clear across Alabama.
没有缘由 我就一直向前跑
For no particular reason, I just kept on going.
我一直跑到了大海边
I ran clear to the ocean.
当我到达那里时 心想都跑这么远了
And when I got there, I figured since I’d gone this far,
不如调个头继续跑下去
might as well turn around and just keep on going.
当我抵达另一个大洋时
And when I got to another ocean,
心想既然都到这了
I figured since I’d gone this far,
不如转过身 再继续跑下去
I might as well just turn back and keep right on going.
我跑累了就睡 饿了就吃
When I got tired, I slept. When I got hungry, I ate.
要方便的时候 你懂的
When I had to go, you know…
我就去方便
I went.
所以你一直都在跑
And so, you just ran.
是的
Yeah.
一路我想了很多有关妈妈 巴巴和丹中尉的事
I’d think a lot about Mama and Bubba and Lieutenant Dan.
不过我主要还是在想珍妮
But most of all, I thought about Jenny.
我老是会想起她
I thought about her a lot.
在两年多的时间里
For more than two years now,
一位名叫弗里斯特·甘的男子
a man named Forrest Gump,
阿♥拉♥巴马州绿弓县的一位园丁
a gardener from Greenbow, Alabama,
除了停下来睡觉之外
stopping only to sleep,
跑遍了整个美国
has been running across America.
请看查尔斯·库珀带来的报道
Charles Cooper brings us this report.
在第四次跑遍全美的旅行中
For the fourth time on his journey across America,
弗里斯特·甘
Forrest Gump,
阿♥拉♥巴马州绿弓县的一位园丁
the gardener from Greenbow, Alabama,
将于今日再次穿越密西西比河
is about to cross the Mississippi River again today.
-我的天呐 弗里斯特 -先生 你为什么要跑步呢
– I’ll be damned. Forrest? – Sir, why are you running?
为什么要跑步
Why are you running?
是为了宣扬世界和平吗
Are you doing this for world peace?
还是为了那些流浪汉
Are you doing this for the homeless?
是为了妇女权利而跑吗
Are you running for women’s rights?
还是为了环保
Or for the environment?
还是动物保护
Or for animals?
他们就是不敢相信
They just couldn’t believe
会有人不为任何原因跑遍全国
that somebody would do all that running for no particular reason.
你为什么要这么做
Why are you doing this?
我就是想跑
I just felt like running.
我就是想跑
I just felt like running.
是你 没想到真的是你
It’s you. I can’t believe it’s really you.
但现在 不知怎么的
Now, for some reason,
别人似乎能够理解我的行为了
what I was doing seemed to make sense to people.
我感觉 就像脑袋突然开窍了一样
I mean, it was like an alarm went off in my head, you know?
我说 「这家伙是个积极振作的人」
I said, “Here’s a guy that’s got his act together.
「这家伙参透了一切」
“Here’s somebody who’s got it all figured out.
「这家伙知晓人生答案」
“Here’s somebody who has the answer.”
无论你去哪里 我都跟着你 甘先生
I’ll follow you anywhere, Mr. Gump.
于是就有人跟着我了
So, I got company.
之后 有了更多的人
And after that, I got more company.
再然后 更多的人加入了
And then, even more people joined in.
后来有人跟我说 这能给人希望
Somebody later told me it gave people hope.
不过 我对此倒是不是很明白
Now… Now, I don’t know anything about that,
但其中有些人问我能不能帮助他们
but some of those people asked me if I could help them out.
嘿 老兄 不知道能不能请你帮个忙
Hey, man, hey, listen, I was wondering if you might help me, huh?
听着 我是生产车尾贴的
Listen, I’m in the bumper sticker business
我一直在努力想出一条好标语
and I’ve been trying to think up a good slogan.
因为你如此激励人心
And since you have been such a big inspiration
带动了这里的很多人
to the people around here,
我想着 也许你能帮我想一个标语
I thought you might be able to help me jump into…
天呐 你刚刚跑过了一堆狗屎
Whoa, man! You just ran through a big pile of dog shit!
-这很正常 -什么 狗屎吗
– It happens. – What, shit?
有时候
Sometimes.
多年后 我听说那家伙
And some years later, I heard that that fellow
还真的想到了一条出色的车尾贴标语
did come up with a bumper sticker slogan,
还因此赚了很多钱
and he made a lot of money off of it.
还有一次 跑步的时候
Another time, I was running along,
有人说他的T恤生意赔光了钱
somebody who had lost all his money in the T-shirt business,
他想把我的脸印在T恤上
he wanted to put my face on a T-shirt,
但他画画不好 又没有相机
but he couldn’t draw that well, and he didn’t have a camera.
给 用这个 反正也没人喜欢这个颜色
Here, use this one. Nobody likes that color anyway.
祝你愉快
Have a nice day.
很多年后
Well, some years later,
我发现那个人为T恤想到了好的创意图案
I found out that that man did come up with an idea for a T-shirt.
他因此赚了很多钱
He made a lot of money off of it.
总之 就像我说的
Anyway, like I was saying,
有很多人陪着我同行
I had a lot of company.
我妈妈生前常说
My mama always said,
「要想向前走 就得先放下过去」
“You got to put the past behind you before you can move on.”
我觉得这就是我跑步的意义
And I think that’s what my running was all about.
我跑了三年 两个月
I had run for three years, two months,
加14天16小时
14 days and 16 hours.
安静 安静 他要说话了
Quiet. Quiet. He’s going to say something.
我累了
I’m pretty tired.
我要回家了
Think I’ll go home now.
那我们该怎么办
Now what are we supposed to do?
就那样
And just like that,
我的跑步生涯结束了
my running days was over.
于是我回到了阿♥拉♥巴马的家里
So, I went home to Alabama.
就在刚才 下午2:25
Moments ago, at 2:25 P.M.,
里根总统正要…
as President Reagan was leaving the…
五六次枪击
…five or six gunshots
嫌疑刺客身份未知
were fired by an unknown would-be assassin.
总统胸部中枪 刺客…
The President was shot in the chest, and the assailant…
我帮你收了邮件
I picked up the mail.
有一天 非常突然地
And one day, out of the blue clear sky,
我收到了来自珍妮的信
I got a letter from Jenny,
她问我能不能去萨凡纳看望她
wondering if I could come down to Savannah and see her,
所以我就来了
and that’s what I’m doing here.
她在电视上看到我跑步
She saw me on TV, running.
我应该坐9号♥公交车去里士满街
I’m supposed to go on the number nine bus to Richmond Street
下车 走一个街区
and get off and go one block
左转去亨利街1947号♥ 4号♥公♥寓♥
left to 1947 Henry Street, Apartment 4.
你可不用坐公交车
Why, you don’t need to take a bus.
往那个方向走五六个街区就能到亨利街
Henry Street is just five or six blocks down that way.
-那边吗 -就是那边
– Down that way? – Down that way.
很高兴和你聊天
It was nice talking to you.
希望你一切顺利
I hope everything works out for you!
弗里斯特
Forrest!
你好吗
How you doing?
请进 请进
Come in, come in!
我收到了你的信
I got your letter.
我还在想你有没有收到呢
I was wondering about that.
这是你的家吗
Is this your house?
是的 有点乱 我刚下班
Yeah. It’s messy right now. I just got off work.
挺好的
It’s nice.
你这里还有空调呢
You got air conditioning.
-谢谢 -我吃掉了一些
– Thank you. – I ate some.
我留了一本你的剪报和其他材料
I kept a scrapbook of your clippings and everything.