that is a petri dish of salmonella
畜牧肉类或家禽肉
and the usda really can’t do anything about it.
美国农业部却什么也管不了
A new law was introduced in direct response
一项新法律制订了 依据的是群众的反馈
and this law became known as Kevin’s law.
该法例被称为”凯文法”
It seems like such a clear-cut, common sense type thing.
成立这条简单的常规法律
How are things going? Fine fine.
事情都顺利吗 不错 还不错
We’ve been working for six years
居然花了我们六年时间
and it still hasn’t passed.
却还茫然无果
I sense that there may be
我觉得这次
an opportunity– an enhanced opportunity–
有机会 很有机会
to get this signed into law this time.
能成功签署凯文法
I think that from the standpoint of the consumer,
我认为 站在消费者的立场
a lot of people would support the idea
将有许多人支持这项法律
of paying a little more if they could be guaranteed
即使要付出些许代价 换取高品质的安全保障
A higher standard of safety.
他们也会同意
Yeah. But I also know
是的 但同时
that there are other players in the food production chain…
也有很多食品生产方的代表
…that tend to worry about that,
会提出疑虑
because it’s gonna be seen as an add-on to their costs.
因为凯文法♥会♥增加生产成本
I think the advantage here is–
我认为 有利点在于…
Sometimes it does feel like
有时我感觉
industry was more protected than my son.
食品工业比我儿子更受保护
That’s what motivated me to become an advocate.
这也促使我拥护凯文法
In the past year alone, there have been
去年一年内
a multitude of food-borne illness outbreaks
因群体性食物中毒导致的
which have resulted in significant losses.
伤亡者数量重大
Clearly our current approach
暴露出现行的食品安♥全♥监♥管♥缺失
to food oversight and protection
对消费者保护不力
is not meeting the needs of American families.
未能满足美国家庭的保障需求
It’s really hard for me to tell Kevin’s story.
一再重述凯文的遭遇实在很难受
But the only way I’m going to be able
但要避免其他家庭遭遇相同悲剧
to prevent it from happening to other people
唯一的方法
is to go out there and speak about it.
就是让更多人知悉这个惨剧
Six are elementary school students, one is a sibling,
六名小学生 另一名是少数族裔
and there’s another one in another county
还有一例发生在其他州
in Kentucky, so…
肯德基州
It will be seven years
我儿子离开人世
since my son died.
已有7个年头
All I wanted the company to do
我所求的不过是食品公♥司♥的道歉
was say “we’re sorry.
“因敝公♥司♥的不合格产品
We produced this defective product
导致您的孩子亡故
that killed your child, and this is what
我们深表遗憾 并承诺
we’re going to do to make sure it doesn’t happen again.”
确保此类事件不再发生”
That’s all we wanted,
这就是我们的要求
and they couldn’t give us that.
而他们至今还做不到
The industrial food system is always looking
食品工业系统永远
for greater efficiency, but each new step in efficiency
只注重扩大效益 但扩大效益的每一步
leads to problems.
都会带来问题
If you take feedlot cattle off of their corn diet,
如果将牛群的玉米喂饲改为牧草喂饲
give them grass for five days,
只需5天
they will shed 80% of the E. coli in their gut.
牛体内的大肠杆菌就能减少80%
But of course that’s not what the industry does.
但食品公♥司♥肯定不乐意
The industry’s approach is–
业内做法一般是
when it has a systematic problem like that–
出现任何系统性问题
is not to go back and see what’s wrong with the system,
都不会从初始环节找成因
it’s to come up some high-tech fixes that allow the system to survive.
只会用所谓的高科技手段进行后期加工
The 5×5 product surge tank–
方形产品调压槽
Low level. low level.
降压 降压
This is our operations center.
这是我们的控制中心
We control all of our plants from here.
在这里调控所有厂房♥
Where’s Chicago? Here’s Chicago,
芝加哥厂在哪 在这里
Georgia, Utah, Kansas,
这是佐治亚厂 犹他厂 堪萨斯厂
Nebraska, Texas, L.A., Ohio.
还有内布拉斯加 得克萨斯 洛杉矶 俄亥俄
We control all levels of the gearboxes,
通过变速箱
the speed of motors–
调整所有马达的速度
we can change those all from here.
在这里就可以做到
We built something that–
我们建立了一套
from a food-safety standpoint,
基于食品安全的系统
we think we’re ahead of everybody.
在这方面是领先同行的
We think we can lessen the incidents
相信能减少细菌感染类
of E. coli 0157:h7.
事故的发生
But I just started working with ammonia
我刚开始研究氨气
and ammonia hydroxide.
和氨水
Ammonia kills bacteria,
氨水可以杀菌
So it became a processing tool.
这也是个处理办法
I’m really a mechanic.
我就是个机械师
That’s really what I am.
这是我最拿手的
We design our own machinery.
我们自行设计机械设备
This is our finished product.
这是最终成品
Is your meat in most of the hamburgers in the country?
你们的肉品占全国汉堡肉的百分比是多少
70%
70%
In five years, we think we’ll be in 100%.
相信5年内能垄断国内汉堡肉市场
We do have some competitors.
我们有一些竞争者
I think we’re gonna beat them.
但打败他们不成问题
Again, it’s a marriage
这是一场
of science and technology.
科学与技术的结合
I want dollar meal–
我要经济餐
five rodeo cheeseburgers… Five rodeos. Okay.
5个芝士汉堡 5个汉堡
…two chicken sandwich.
2份鸡肉三明治
Anything else? Two small Spirits,
还有吗 2杯小雪碧
and give me a large Dr. pepper.
一杯大的麦根博士
$11.48. Thank you.
一共11.48美元 谢谢
First window. Thank you.
一号♥窗取餐 多谢惠顾
We didn’t even think about healthy eating
我们从来没考虑过健康饮食
because we used to think everything was healthy.
我们以为所有食物都是健康的
Here you go. Thank you.
您的餐点齐了 谢谢
Have a nice day. You too. Thank you very much.
祝你愉快 谢谢
Now that I know that the food is
现在知道这些食物
really unhealthy for us,
对健康有害
I feel guilty giving it to my kids.
给孩子吃的时候内心很愧疚
but we don’t have time to cook because we leave at 6:00.
但我没时间做饭 早上6点出门
we don’t get home until 9:00, 10:00 at night.
直到晚上9点 10点才回家
When you have only a dollar to spend
我们钱也不多
and you have two kids to feed,
还要养2个孩子
either you go to the market
要么就到超♥市♥
and try to find something that’s cheap
买♥♥特♥价♥食品
or just go straight through a drive-thru
要么就像这样
and get two small hamburgers for them
到快餐店买♥♥2个汉堡
and “okay, here. Eat them.”
“来 吃吧”
This is what’s gonna fill her up,
一美元就管饱
Not that one single item at the market.
在超♥市♥只能买♥♥一样东西
Look at the broccoli.
看这花椰菜
It’s too expensive, man.
实在太贵了
What do you want to eat then? Mama.
你想吃什么 妈妈
First check to see how many are there for a pound.
买♥♥前先看看每磅多少钱
Uh, we’re not getting it. Why not?
我们不买♥♥这个 为什么
You’d only get two or three.
你只会吃两到三个
No. Come on.
走吧 不买♥♥了
We can find candy that’s cheaper.
糖果比水果便宜
We can find chips that are cheaper.
薯片比蔬菜便宜
The sodas are really cheap.
汽水比果汁便宜
Sometimes you look at a vegetable and say
有时候看着一把菜 你会想
“okay, we can get two hamburgers over here
“这个价钱可以买♥♥2个汉堡包了”
For the same amount of price.”
“一样管饱”
Why is it that you can buy
为什么不到一美元
a double-cheeseburger at mcdonald’s for 99cent,
能买♥♥一个双层芝士汉堡
and you can’t even get a head of broccoli for 99cent?
却买♥♥不到一颗花椰菜
You want the small one? We’ve skewed our food system
你要个小的吗 我们的食品体系是扭曲的
to the bad calories
倾向于高热量
and it’s not an accident.
这是意料之中的

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!