And if I can point out
我想指出
The reason that we are concerned with labeling
我们如此关心标签的原因是
is it creates unnecessary fear in a consumer’s mind.
因为它在消费者心中产生了不必要的恐慌
Until the industry has an opportunity
在企业能有机会向社会普及
to educate why we want to use this technology
使用这种技术的原因
And the value of the technology,
和这种技术的价值之前
We don’t feel that consumers just having
我们不认为仅仅
a warning label will help them.
一个警示标签就会帮到消费者
These companies fight tooth and nail
这些公♥司♥对标签拼命抵抗
against labeling.
爪牙并施
The fast food industry fought against
快餐行业拒绝
giving you the calorie information.
提供给你热量信息
They fought against telling you
他们反对告诉你
if there’s trans fat in their food.
他们的食物中是否含有反式脂肪
The meat packing industry for years prevented
多年来肉类加工业一直反对
Country-Of-Origin labeling.
贴上原产地标签
They fought not to label genetically modified foods,
他们反抗给转基因食品贴标签
and now 78% of the processed food in the supermarket
而现在超♥市♥里78%的加工食品
has some genetically- modified ingredient.
含有基因改良成分
I think it’s one of the most important battles
我认为对消费者来说
for consumers to fight
最重要的战争之一就是
is the right to know what’s in their food and how it was grown.
争取对食物成分和培育过程的知情权
Not only do they not want
他们不仅不想
you to know what’s in it,
让你知道里面的成分
they have managed to make it against the law
他们还设法不让法律
to criticize their products.
干涉他们的产品
Can you tell me how you’ve changed how you eat?
能告诉我你的饮食习惯是怎么改变的吗
Yeah, we
是的 我们
You’ll probably have to talk to an attorney
你在问这句话的时候
Before you would put this in there.
大概要先和律师谈谈
What? You can say this is– We’ve stopped
什么 你可以说 我们停止了
I know, but
我知道 但
I could have the meat and poultry industry
肉类和家禽企业可能会
coming after me and I really
因此对我紧跟不舍 而我真的
Seriously? For saying– That it’s so–
真的吗 就因为说了 那太
It depends on the context.
这要取决于谈话的内容
You’re not saying “Someone else don’t eat it.”
又不是让你说”其他人别吃这个”
Yeah, I’m sorry, Robbie,
是的 但抱歉 罗比
But I get asked this all the time.
但是别人一直问我这个问题
Initially, my reaction was
最初 我的反应是
“I don’t care. Let them sue me.
“我不在乎 让他们告我吧
Let them try and sue the mother
让他们去起诉一个死了孩子的母亲吧
of a dead child and see.”
咱们等着瞧”
It’s pretty amazing that you can’t say
这太令人惊异了 你居然不能说
how you and your family have changed–
你和你的家人是怎么改变
The veggie libel laws…
素食者诽谤法
are different.
不一样
The food industry has different protections
相比其他的行业 食品行业的保护政策
than other industries do.
很不一样
We have a lot of questions about this mad cow disease.
我们对疯牛病有很多的疑问
If you recall the case where Oprah was sued
如果你回想起奥普拉因为
by the meat industry
在她的脱口秀上说的话
for something she said on her show.
而被肉类行业起诉的那起案件
It has just stopped me cold
不要再让我
from eating another burger.
吃到汉堡了
Good morning, Oprah. Good morning, y’all.
早上好 奥普拉 大家早上好
Are you glad to see it’s finally winding down?
事情最终能告一段落 您高兴吗
Well, I think I can say that, right?
我想应该是的 不是吗
I can say that, yeah. I can see the end in sight.
可以这么说 事情终于结束了
In Colorado it’s a felony
在科罗拉多 如果触犯了素食者诽谤法
if you’re convicted under a veggie libel law.
则会被定很重的罪
So you could go to prison
所以你可能会因为批评碎牛肉
for criticizing the ground beef
而进监狱
That’s being produced in the state of Colorado.
碎牛肉是科罗拉多州的主要农产品
There is an effort in several farm states
有几个农业州努力使
to make it illegal to publish
发表任何工业化食品生产照片
a photo of any industrial food operation,
和饲育场生产的照片的行为
any feedlot operation.
变成违法行径
At the same time, they’ve also gotten
同时 他们还通过了
Bills passed that are called Cheeseburger Bills
一项所谓的奶酪汉堡包法的法案
That make it very very difficult
这一切让起诉他们变得
for you to sue them.
极其的困难
These companies have legions of attorneys
这些企业拥有庞大的律师团
and they may sue even though they know they can’t win
就算赢不了他们也会打官司
just to send a message.
目的就是让你惹不起他们
We are on record for the deposition of Maurice Parr
我们将看到莫里斯·帕被孟山都
in the matter of Monsanto company
和孟山都科技公♥司♥起诉时的
and Monsanto technology versus Maurice Parr.
庭证录像
Mr. Parr, we subpoenaed your bank records
帕先生 我们在本案中索取了
in this case. Do you know that?
你的银行记录作为证物 你知道吗
I’ll tell you, what really scared me the most today
我告诉你 时至今日还让我惧怕的
was the fact that they have every check that I have written
事情是他们拿到了我过去十年中
from every bank account that I’ve used
在我所有银行账户中
in the last 10 years.
我自己签的所有支票记录
Do you own any land, Mr. Parr?
你有土地吗 帕先生
Yes. How many acres do you own?
是的 有多少英亩
Three.
3英亩
How long have you had this Dell computer?
这台戴尔电脑你用了几年
Which ones are soybean seed cleaning customers?
哪些是大豆种子精选机的客户
Mr. Kaufman? Beans only.
考夫曼先生吗 只是豆子
These people are not just customers,
这些人不仅仅是顾客
they’re personal friends.
他们也是我的私交
It’s extremely heart-wrenching for me
知道他们的名单都被孟山都所掌握
to know that this list is in the possession of Monsanto.
对我而言极为痛心
Harold Sinn?
哈罗德·辛恩呢
Beans only.
只是豆类
This is the first case
这是第一起
in which a seed company is suing
种子公♥司♥起诉
the person who does the cleaning of the seed.
从事种子精选的个人的案件
So if Monsanto’s claims are upheld in this case,
所以如果孟山都的请求有效的话
That would not only put Moe out of business,
不仅仅会让莫伊破产
but it would prohibit every grower in the country
而在将来的案子中会让全国像莫伊一样
from doing what Moe does as a precedent in future cases.
从事种子精选的人都把此事引以为戒
Have any of these customers specifically
这些顾客里有没有人明确的告诉你
told you that they are not going to use
他们不会再接受
your seedcleaning services anymore? Ron Merrill.
你的种子精选服务了 罗恩·梅里尔
This essentially puts me out of business.
这基本上会让我破产了
Max Lowe. I’m finished.
麦克斯·洛 我完了
Jerry Kaufman. Bill Zeering.
杰瑞·考夫曼 比尔·泽瑞.
Robert Duvall.
罗伯特·杜瓦尔
We’ve had a food system that’s been dedicated
我们的食品体系
to the single virtue of efficiency,
只专注于提高效率
So we grow a very small number of crops,
所以我们只种很少很少的农作物
a very small number of varieties,
只有很少几种农作物
a very small number of companies.
很少的几家公♥司♥
And even though you achieve efficiencies,
这样即使现在能达到了效率
the system gets more and more precarious.
整个系统也会越来越不稳定
You will have a breakdown eventually.
最终体系会出现崩塌
And where the breakdown comes in the system
而我们不一定知道
we don’t always know.
体系的哪一处会出现崩塌
Modern production agriculture is highly dependent
现代化农业生产高度的依赖于
on large amounts of petroleum.
大量的石油
Our farm, we’re going to use
我们农场
about 40,000 gallons of diesel fuel a year.
一年内使用大概4万加仑的柴油
We eat a lot of oil without knowing it.
我们消耗了很多石油但并不知晓
To bring a steer to slaughter,
把食用牛送去屠宰场
It’s 75 gallons of oil.
要用75加仑的油
So what we’re seeing is
所以 我们看到
that this highly-efficient machine
这么高效的机器
does not have the resilience to deal with shocks
对于石油涨价之类的冲击

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!