事情变得很蹊跷
…and things got weird.
别这么胆小 加把劲 你不会伤害它们的
Don’t be so timid. Come on, you won’t hurt them.
-像这样? -对 就是这样
– Like this? – Yeah, that’s it.
我外公
My grandfather.
我从来看他都是穿拖鞋的
All I ever saw him wear was slippers.
今天不知他从哪弄了双工靴穿上了
Now, where did he get those work boots?
我忍♥不住往那边看
I couldn’t stop looking over there.
结果越看越来气
And the more I looked, the madder I got.
我外公一小时和朱莉说的话
My grandfather had already said more to Juli in one hour…
比和我们住在一起对我说过的全部话都多
…than he’d said to me in the whole time he’d been living with us.
我还从没见他开怀大笑过
I was pretty sure I’d never seen him laugh.
他和朱莉·贝克究竟怎么回事呢
And what was his deal with Juli Baker?
嗨 外公
Hi, Grandpa.
朱莉把蛋的事告诉我了
Juli told me about the eggs.
知道吗 布莱斯
You know, Bryce…
一个人的品性在年少时就定型了
…one’s character is set at an early age.
我不想看到你误入歧途
I’d hate to see you swim out so far you can’t swim back.
什么
Sir?
这是诚信问题 孩子
It’s about honesty, son.
开始的一点小小不悦
Sometimes a little discomfort in the beginning…
往往能省却之后的很多痛苦
…can save a whole lot of pain down the road.
要说记仇的本事
When it came to holding a grudge,
朱莉·贝克真是有一套
Juli Baker was truly impressive.
整个星期我在学校都试着接近她
All week I tried to approach her at school.
她总能想办法避开我
She’d always find some way to duck me.
而只要她在她家院子里
And whenever she was in her yard,
外公总和她一起
Grandpa was always there with her.
终于 一个星期六我找到了机会
Finally, one Saturday I saw my opening.
外公到城里买♥♥止痛膏去了
My grandfather had gone into town to buy some Bengay.
估计收拾庭院的活儿开始让他吃不消了
I guess the yard work was starting to get to him.
看起来真不错
It’s looking real good.
谢谢 大部分都是切特做的
Thanks. Chet did most of it.
我为我的行为道歉
I’m sorry for what I did.
我真不明白 布莱斯 为何不直接告诉我
I just don’t get it, Bryce. Why didn’t you just tell me?
不知道 我的做法真蠢
I don’t know. It was dumb.
我也不该瞎说你家的院子
And I shouldn’t have said anything about your yard, either.
这样不对
It wasn’t right.
也许这样正好
Maybe it’s all for the best.
我是说 我从切特那学到这么多 真是太好了
I mean, look, I learned so much from Chet, it’s amazing.
你真幸运
You’re lucky.
我都没有爷爷奶奶了
I don’t even have grandparents anymore.
我很替他难过
I feel sorry for him.
他很想念你外婆
He misses your grandma.
你能相信吗 他说我让他想起了她
Can you believe it? He says I remind him of her.
-什么 -我知道有点怪 你没有听错
– What? – I know. That’s what I said.
但他的用意很好 是说她的精神方面
But he meant it in a nice way. Something about her spirit.
这样啊
Yeah…
祝这些草好运 我相信长出来一定很棒
Good luck with the grass. I’m sure it’ll come up great.
谢谢
Thanks.
回头见
I guess I’ll see you around.
好
I guess so.
《波纳扎》
虽然朱莉接受我道歉并不像我希望的那样
While Juli’s acceptance of my apology was not all that I’d hoped for…
但至少鸡蛋风波终于过去了
…at least the eggs thing was finally behind me.
几个月来我第一次能安心看《波纳扎》了
The first time in months I could truly enjoy Bonanza.
你去哪儿 怎么穿成那样
Where you going and why you dressed like that?
去斯凯勒家
Skyler’s.
马特和马克带来了录音设备
Matt and Mark are bringing over recording stuff
他们准备录试唱样带
and they’re gonna make a demo.
样带? 搞得好像他们知道怎么弄似的
Demo? Like they know how to make a demo.
-你都不认识人家 -不必认识 我知道这号♥人
– You don’t even know them. – I don’t have to. I know the type.
-你一无所知 -别用这语气和我说话
– You don’t know anything. – Don’t talk to me like that.
-我要迟到了 -11点前回来
– I’m late. – Be back by 11.
对 一切都恢复正常了
Yep. Everything was back to normal.
那丫头片子把你累坏了吧
Is that girl working you too hard?
她的名字叫朱莉 她也没把我累着
That girl’s name is Juli. And, no, she isn’t working me too hard.
你还挺关心她的嘛
You’ve developed quite a soft spot for her, huh?
斯蒂文
Steven.
帕茜 我只是想知道你♥爸♥哪来这么大劲头
No, Patsy. Just wanna find out why your father has the energy…
跑去跟一个陌生人交朋友
…to befriend a complete stranger…
而他都不愿和自己的外孙玩玩棒球
…when he won’t throw a baseball around with his own grandson.
-没事 爸 -不 这样不对
– It’s okay, Dad. – No, it’s not okay.
朱莉让他想到外婆
Juli reminds him of Grandma.
想到瑞妮?
Of Renee? Heh.
真可笑
That’s ridiculous.
你知道贝克家为何不修理院子吗
You know why the Bakers haven’t fixed their yard?
是因为太忙于画他的烂画了吧
Yeah, because he’s too busy with his paint-by-numbers kit.
如果你有个严重残疾的兄弟 你会怎么做
If you had a brother with a severe handicap, what would you do?
怎么会扯上这个
What the hell does that have to do with anything?
朱莉的父亲有个智障的兄弟
Juli’s father has a retarded brother.
那又怎样 那院子不会是他兄弟弄的吧
So what? He’s not the gardener, is he? Heh.
斯蒂文
Steven.
开个玩笑
It was a joke.
其他人也会有家庭问题
You know, other people have family troubles…
而人家也能修理自家的草坪
…and they manage to mow their own lawns.
真不知他们对拥有家园的自豪感在哪儿
I don’t know where their pride in ownership is.
那房♥子不是他们的
They don’t own that house.
应该是房♥东修理才对
The landlord’s supposed to maintain it.
贝克先生把多出的每分钱都用于照顾弟弟
Mr. Baker puts every extra penny he has into caring for his brother.
不是有政♥府♥的护理机构管这种事吗
Don’t they have government facilities for that sort of thing?
可能他们认为私人护理机构对他更好
Maybe they thought that a private facility would be better for him.
无论怎样 他们家染色体异常
Either way, it’s not our fault
这可不是我们的错
that their family has some chromosomal abnormality.
和染色体没关系
It has nothing to do with chromosomes.
朱莉的叔叔出生时
When Juli’s uncle was born,
脖子被脐带缠住了
he had the umbilical cord wrapped around his neck.
如果有足够的氧气
If he’d had enough oxygen,
他也会像你的儿子一样是个好宝宝
he would’ve been a perfect little baby, just like your son.
真扯淡 切特
Goddamn it, Chet.
-帕茜 -让我自己待会儿
– Patsy? Patsy? – Leave me alone!
抱歉
Sorry about that.
妈妈怎么这么伤心
Why is Mom so upset?
因为…
Because…
还好上帝保佑
…but for the grace of God…
你妈差点和贝克先生的处境一样
…your mother could be standing in Mr. Baker’s shoes.
她兄弟脖子也被脐带缠住了?
Did her brother have the cord wrapped around his neck too?
是你
You did.
幸好接产医生反应及时 把脐带解开了
Luckily, the doctor who delivered you was on the ball and got it untangled…
不然那种事是极有可能的
…but it easily could’ve gone the other way.
-想出去走走吗 -嗯?
– Wanna go for a walk? – Huh?
出去走走有助于清理思绪
I find it helps clear the mind.
如果我那样了他们会把我怎样
What would they have done with me?
你不该琢磨那些也许会发生的事 布莱斯
You can’t dwell on something that might’ve been, Bryce.
我爸说话的口气
The way my dad was talking,
听起来就像会把我丢进疯人院
sounds like he would’ve thrown me in a nuthouse.
不不 这么说不公平
No, no. Now, that’s not fair.
你不能用未发生之事来谴责他
You can’t condemn him for something he hasn’t done.
这里就是那树的位置 是吗
This is where that tree was, wasn’t it?
嗯
Yeah.
景色一定很壮观
Must’ve been a spectacular view.
她是很不错的女孩儿
She’s quite a girl.
我们中有的人暗淡无光
Some of us get dipped in flat…
有的色泽艳丽
…some in satin…
有的则光彩照人
…some in gloss.
但是偶尔
But every once in a while…
你也会遇到色彩斑斓的人
…you find someone who’s iridescent.
当你真遇到时
And when you do…
其他一切都不重要了
…nothing will ever compare.
暗淡无光 光彩照人 色彩斑斓?
Flat, glossy, iridescent?
那究竟是什么意思
What the hell did that mean?
朱莉·贝克在我看来一直很普通而已