He and Juli’s brothers, Matt and Mark, had formed a band.
琳妮塔经常去看他们排练
And Lynetta would watch them practice.
真是太棒了
That is so neat.
怎么样 布莱斯
How about that, huh, Bryce?
是啊 很棒
Yeah. Neat.
布莱斯 你觉得它要怎么消化这蛋
So, Brycie, how do you think he’s gonna digest that?
-用胃酸吗 -估计你就会这样想
– Stomach acid? – You’d like to think that.
大家安静 看好了
Wait, everybody quiet. Here he goes.
煎荷包蛋了
Eggs over easy.
恶心 恶心
Gross. Gross, gross, gross.
等等 你还没看见最精彩的呢
Wait, wait. You haven’t seen the best part.
真恶心
Gross.
我试图保持淡定 但不太成功
I tried to be casual about it, but it didn’t take.
我开始做噩梦
I started having bad dreams.
梦到我被困在一个巨大的蛋里
I’d be trapped inside a huge egg…
一只怪兽正要张开大嘴把我吞掉
and this monster would open his jaws and start to devour me.
幸好这时我醒了
I’d wake up just in time.
然后真正的噩梦开始了
Then the real nightmare began.
布莱斯 我给你们拿了些这个
Hi, Bryce. I brought these over for you and your family.
-我的鸡下蛋了 -什么
– My chickens are laying eggs. – What?
你记得小黑 小黄
You remember Abby and Bonnie
阿♥扁♥ 阿呆 点点和花花吗
and Clyde and Dexter and Eunice and Florence?
-我在科技展上孵化的 -怎么可能忘
– The ones I hatched for the science fair. – How could I forget?
这就是经典的朱莉·贝克
It was classic Juli Baker.
她在展览上出尽风头
She totally dominated the fair.
你想 她做的项目就是观察无聊的孵蛋过程
And get this, her project was all about watching boring eggs hatch.
而我可是有一座实景喷发的火山啊
I mean, here I had a live-action erupting volcano…
但所有人都在关注朱莉的无聊小鸡
and all anyone cared about was Juli’s boring chicks…
从它们的无聊蛋壳里破壳而出
breaking out of their boring shells.
最后一只好像要出来了
Oh, I think the last one’s hatching.
-出来了 -出来了
– It’s hatching. – Oh, it’s hatching.
孩子们 过来
Kids, come over here.
她赢了 我输了
But hey, she won. I lost.
我总得不到大家垂青
I’ve never been one to dwell.
出来了
Here it comes.
但这并不意味着我得吃她恶心的鸡蛋
But that didn’t mean I had to eat her lousy eggs.
朱莉真好 送鸡蛋给我们吃
I think it was very sweet of Juli to bring us those eggs.
才不稀罕 我明早还吃麦片
I don’t care. I’m still having cereal tomorrow.
我们怎么知道那些蛋里有没有小鸡
Yeah, how do we know there’s no chicks in one of those eggs?
我小时候常吃农场的新鲜土鸡蛋 非常好吃
I used to eat farm-fresh eggs when I was a kid. They were delicious.
好吧 是非常好
Yeah, well, that’s all well and good…
但万一敲开 结果出来一只死小鸡怎么办
but what if we crack one open and a dead chick falls out?
他们有公鸡吗
Do they have a rooster?
如果没有公鸡 那蛋就不会受精
If they don’t have a rooster the eggs can’t be fertile.
如果他们养了公鸡 我们会知道的
And if they had a rooster, we’d know.
所有邻居都会知道的
The whole neighborhood would know.
也许他们把它喔喔弄残了
Maybe they got it de-yodeled.
“喔喔弄残了”?
“De-yodeled”?
就是把它的喔喔喔给弄废了
You know. De-cock-a-doodle-doo’d.
什么乱七八糟的
What the hell are you talking about?
就像把狗弄哑那样
Like they de-bark dogs.
布莱斯 你干嘛不直接问朱莉呢
Bryce, why don’t you just ask Juli?
-我不觉得… -什么
– I don’t think that… – What?
-你怕和她说话吗 -我才不怕和她说话
– You afraid to talk to her? – I’m not afraid to talk to her.
我知道那是你 那我是什么
I know you are, but what am I?
好了 问问她就知道了
Okay. Just talk to her and find out.
你怎么知道什么样的是公鸡
How do you tell if one’s a rooster?
公鸡更大 羽毛更长
Well, a rooster’s bigger. Longer feathers.
它们头上长着红色的东西
They’ve got that red stuff growing out of their head.
脖子周围也有
And around their neck too.
那应该不难认
That shouldn’t be too hard to spot.
不过话说回来
Although, come to think of it,
其它鸡也有那种红色肉瘤
chickens have the rubbery red stuff too.
只是没那么大
Just not as much.
伽利特对公鸡的精通
Garrett’s expertise in roosters…
是我们避免与朱莉·贝克接触的基石
was the cornerstone of our plan to avoid contact with Juli Baker.
剩下要做的就是去偷♥窥♥她家后院了
The balance of which involved spying over her back fence.
-快来 快来 -嘘 嘘
– Come on, come on. – Shh. Shh.
就这里
Over here.
我看不见那些蠢鸡
I can’t see the stupid chickens.
我们得让它们从鸡窝里出来
We gotta get them out of the coop.
那是公鸡吗
Is that a rooster?
不 看起来像普通鸡
No, it looks like a chicken.
你怎么知道
How can you tell?
一看就知道
It just does.
看到了吧 这就是精通
See what I mean? Expertise.
-嘘 嘘 -怎么了
– Shh, shh! – What?
朱莉
Juli.
快来吃
Here, guys.
继续 快吃吧
Go on, there you go.
-给 接着吃 -没错 都是普通鸡
– Here, guys. Go on. – Yeah, they’re all chickens.
-没有公鸡吗 -我不是刚说了吗
– There’s no rooster? – What did I just say?
你怎么知道
How can you tell?
-没有那种昂首阔步的鸡 -给 来啊
– Well, none of them are strutting. – Here, come on.
-公鸡昂首阔步吗 -来吃啊
– Roosters strut? – Come on, guys.
-我不是刚说了吗 -给
– What did I just say? – Here.
而且它们几乎都没长红色肉瘤
Plus, hardly any of them have any rubbery red stuff.
-你在干什么 -它们绝对都是普通鸡
– What are you doing? – Yeah. They’re definitely all chickens.
都是普通鸡
They’re all chickens.
我为你骄傲 布莱斯
I’m proud of you, Bryce.
-你克服了自己的恐惧 -什么
– You overcame your fear. – Huh?
-你和她说话了 -噢 是啊
– You talked to her. – Oh, heh. Yeah.
没什么大不了的
It’s no big deal.
她怎么和你说的 都是普通鸡吗
That’s what she told you? They’re all chickens?
是啊
Yeah.
她是个天才 你们都是天才
She’s a genius. You’re both genius…
当然都是普通鸡
Of course they’re all chickens.
公鸡也是普通鸡 问题是
A rooster’s a chicken. The question is:
有没有公鸡 或者说是否全是母鸡
Is one of them a rooster or are they all hens?
母鸡? 什么时候提到过母鸡
Hens? Who said anything about hens?
我明白了
Then it hit me.
伽利特根本不懂鸡
Garrett didn’t know jack shit about chickens.
-公鸡都昂首阔步是吗 -是的 没错
– Do roosters strut? – Yes, they do.
这又有什么关系
What does that have to do with anything?
它们都是母鸡
They’re all hens.
重要的是鸡蛋没问题就行
Well, the main thing is the eggs are okay.
没事了
It’s all settled.
对我来说可不是
Not for me.
我绝对不吃
There was no way I was ever gonna eat anything…
和朱莉·贝克有关的任何东西
that had anything to do with Juli Baker.
我不吃那些蛋
I’m not eating them.
为什么呢
Well, why not?
你看见他们的院子了吗 真是…
Have you seen their yard? It’s…
连根草都没有 全是泥巴和鸡屎
There’s not even any grass. It’s all mud and chicken turds.
恶心 沙门氏菌
Ew. Gross. Salmonella.
你觉得这些蛋会有沙门氏菌吗
Do you suppose they could have salmonella?
-可能性不大 -何必要冒险呢
– It’s not very likely. – Why take the risk?
那这些鸡蛋怎么办
What do we do with the eggs?
退回去
Give them back.
-退回去? 给朱莉? -当然
– Give them back? To Juli? – Sure.
你和她说过话了 对吧 不会要你命的
You talked to her before, right? It didn’t kill you.
那我怎么说啊
Well, what do I say?
跟她说我们不吃鸡蛋
Tell her we don’t eat eggs.
我们全家都对鸡蛋过敏之类的
Uh, we’re allergic to them or something.
动动脑子
Come on, use your brains.
撒谎似乎不大好
It didn’t feel right to lie.
而且 连初一的学生都知道
Besides, even a seventh grader would know
不可能全家都对鸡蛋过敏的
that entire families aren’t allergic to eggs.
但我也不想伤害她的感情
But I didn’t wanna hurt her feelings either.
所以我别无选择了
So that left me with only one option.
于是在我与朱莉·贝克的拉锯战中