我也很高兴见到你
Nice to meet you too.
-我儿子们一直跟我说… -你好 大个子
– My boys are telling me that… – Hey, big guy.
你好 斯蒂文 最近还好吧
Hey, Steven. How are you?
早就该一起吃个饭了 快进来
We should’ve done this a long time ago. Come on in.
你们家可真漂亮啊
This is a cool place.
嗯 还凑合吧 来 我带你们去看我的房♥间
Yeah, it’s all right. Come on, I’ll show you my room.
你该听听我们写的新歌♥
You gotta hear this new song we wrote.
特好听
It’s so good.
你好
Hi.
你真漂亮
You look nice.
我在图书馆听到你和伽利特取笑我叔叔
I heard you and Garrett making fun of my uncle in the library.
我不想和你说话
And I don’t wanna speak to you.
现在不想 永远不想
Not now, not ever.
-我认为可以 -不过你的建议
– And I say you can. – But what you’re proposing
需要一个永动机 所以不太可能
would require a perpetual-motion machine, so it’s not possible.
如果有两个相反磁极和一个不带磁的导体…
If you had two opposite charged poles with a neutral conductor…
永动机
Perpetual motion?
此刻我的心都要碎了
Here I was, dying inside,
他们却在谈论永动机
and they were talking about perpetual motion.
朱莉是怎么知道那些玩意的
And how did Juli know about all that stuff?
快来 同志们 饭好了 琳妮塔
Come on, everybody, dinner’s ready. Lynetta!
吃饭了
Dinner!
朱莉 能和你说几句话吗
Juli, can I talk to you?
伽利特说的话是错的 我知道
It was wrong, what Garrett said. I know it.
他说的时候你就知道是错的吗
Did you know it was wrong when he said it?
对 我想揍他来的
Yeah. I wanted to punch him.
但当时是在图书馆里
But we were in the library.
所以你就赞同了他说的话 还和他一起笑
So instead you just agreed with him and laughed.
嗯
Yeah.
那你就是个懦夫
Then that makes you a coward.
吃饭时我不得不和朱莉坐对面
I had to sit across from Juli for an entire dinner.
我老爸是对的
My dad was right.
本该吃烧烤的
We should have barbecued.
你们能和我们一起吃饭真是太棒了
I just want to say how wonderful it is to have you share a meal with us.
希望以后能经常一起吃
May it be the first of many.
呛到了
Wrong pipe.
我们太开心了
We couldn’t be happier.
我们能来拜访真的很激动
We are just all so thrilled to be here.
朱莉 你的院子收拾得真不错
Juli, you did a really nice job on your yard.
谢谢 切特帮了不少忙
Thanks. Chet was a big help.
对 我知道
Yeah, I know.
你得告诉我你的秘诀
You gotta tell me your secret.
在家我可指望不上他干一点活
I can’t get him to do a thing around here.
-斯蒂文 -开个玩笑
– Steven. – I kid.
跟你们说 小区现在真的有了生气
I’m telling you, the neighborhood is really coming to life.
我是说 新房♥子已经建的差不多了
I mean, that new house is taking shape.
哪个
Which one?
就是那棵被砍掉的难看的大树那里
You know, the one where they cut down that big ugly tree.
我本想说很多人都喜欢那棵树
I wanted to say that a lot of people liked that tree,
可我没说出口
but I didn’t.
我不想顶撞我老爸
I didn’t want to go against my dad.
有些人觉得那棵树可是小区的宝贝
Some people thought that tree was the jewel of the neighborhood.
对 品味不行没办法
Yeah, there’s no accounting for taste.
那么 马特 马克 马克 马特
So, Matt, Mark, Mark, Matt…
你们马上就毕业了 是吗
You guys are gonna be graduating soon, huh?
对 谢天谢地
Yeah, thank God.
你们不喜欢高中吗
You don’t like high school?
-开玩笑吧 -不
– You kidding? – No.
高中是我一生中最美好的时光
High school was the best time of my life.
-对我们来说不是的 -对 我们可受够了
– Not for us, no. – Yeah, we’ve had enough of that scene.
那就更别提大学了 是吧
So college is probably out of the question, huh?
不 大学有可能
No, it’s a possibility.
实际上他们已经被几所大学录取了
They’ve actually been accepted at several places already.
对 是这样
Yes, they have.
是吗
Really?
不错嘛
That’s good.
不过 我们打算先尝试一下做音乐
But, we’re gonna give music a shot first.
-是吗 -他们很有天赋的
– Really? – They are very talented.
他们的乐队真的很棒
Their band is really boss.
他们录了一堆样带 非常不错
They did a bunch of demos and they’re really cool.
谢谢 琳
Thanks, Lyn.
我和斯蒂文刚认识时 他也在乐队
When Steven and I first met, he was playing in a band.
你以前在乐队演奏过吗
You played in a band?
他是个超棒的萨克斯手
He was a wonderful saxophone player.
-酷啊 你还演奏吗 -我…
– Cool. You still play? – I…
你愿意的话 有空可以来和我们一起演奏
If you want, you can come jam out with us sometime.
嗯 你们…
Ah, you…
不 我是说…
No, I mean…
我已经不玩那个了
That’s not me anymore.
你们在观众面前表演过吗
Have you boys ever performed in front of an audience?
经常
A lot of times.
马特和马克越是谈论他们的音乐事业
The more Matt and Mark talked about their musical exploits,
我老爸就越沉默
the quieter my dad got.
他时不时想挤出点笑容
He tried to plaster on a smile now and then,
不过他心里好像很伤感
but underneath he seemed really sad.
但是我父母开始还不喜欢他
But my parents didn’t like him at first.
共和党拼命抵♥制♥新政
Republicans fought like crazy against the New Deal.
那晚剩下的时间过得还算风平浪静
The rest of the evening was painless enough.
不过整晚朱莉都没和我说一句话
But through it all, Juli didn’t say a word to me.
甚至没看过我一眼
Never even looked at me.
直到她快走时
Until she was about to leave.
对不起我刚来时发这么大脾气
I’m sorry I was so angry when we first came in.
我觉得今晚每个人都挺开心
I think everyone had a good time.
很感谢你妈妈邀请我们
Your mom was really nice to invite us.
再见
See you.
她的道歉让我感觉更糟
Her apology made things worse.
-等等我 -我知道她并没有原谅我
– Wait for me. – I knew I wasn’t forgiven.
她似乎根本不屑于对我怀恨在心
It was like I wasn’t even important enough to hold a grudge against.
我觉得他们一家很讨人喜欢
I think they’re a delightful family.
两个男孩和我想象的很不一样
Those boys were nothing like I expected.
我认为他们是很不错的年轻人
I thought they were very nice young men.
-俩小痞子 -什么
– Hoodlums. – What?
你觉得他们付得起那些录音设备的钱吗
How you think they can afford all that recording gear?
斯蒂文 拜托 你不能这样乱说人家
Steven, please. You can’t just make an accusation like that.
别那么天真 帕茜
Don’t be so naive, Patsy.
你知道录制样带有多贵吗
Do you know how expensive it is to record a demo?
他们说不定在偷轮毂罩卖♥♥钱
They’re probably stealing hubcaps, for chrissake.
你真是个混♥蛋♥
You are such an asshole.
你发什么疯
What is the matter with you?
去死吧
Go to hell.
别这样跟我说话
Don’t you talk to me like that.
斯蒂文 站住
Steven, stop!
在这家里没人能和我这样说话 -站住
Nobody talks to me like that in my own house! – Stop!
以前我见过老爸生气 可这次不同
I’d seen my father angry before, but this was different.
那晚我躺在床上
As I lay in bed that night…
思索着我老爸为什么总看不起贝克一家
I thought about how my dad always looked down on the Bakers.
他还称他们是垃圾
And how he’d called them trash
还取笑贝克先生画的画
and made fun of Mr. Baker’s paintings.
现在我知道了 他只是在生自己的气
And now I realized he was just mad at himself.
可为什么呢
But why?
朱莉叫我懦夫
Juli called me a coward.
我老爸会不会也是个懦夫呢
Was it possible my dad was a coward too?
不知道
I didn’t know.
那又怎样呢
What difference did it make?
朱莉·贝克走出了我的生活
Juli Baker was out of my life.
或者 更准确地说
Or, more accurately…
我走出了她的生活
I was out of hers.
当我为参加洛斯奇家的晚宴换衣服时
As I was getting dressed for the Loskis’ dinner party
我不由地注视着爸爸送我的那幅画
I found myself staring at the painting my father had given me
又一次怒不可遏
and became furious all over again.