我最大的愿望就是朱莉·贝克能离我远点
All I ever wanted was for Juli Baker to leave me alone.
故事开始于1957年的夏天
It all began in the summer of 1957,
二年级开学的前夕
before the start of second grade.
我们到了
Here we are.
-你们觉得如何 -我喜欢这里
– What do you guys think? – I like this place.
-棒极了 -我的房♥间是什么颜色
– It’s cool. – Uh, what color is my room?
别急嘛
Just you wait.
-我们进去瞧瞧 -等等 布莱斯
– Let’s see what’s inside. – Hey, come on, buddy Bryce.
你来帮我一起搬东西如何
Why don’t, uh, you and I go help unload the van…
女士们可以去把厨房♥收拾好
…and the womenfolk here can get in the kitchen and start setting up.
好的 爸爸
Okay, Dad.
对我而言 这仅仅是我长达五年多的
For me, it was the beginning of what would be more than half a decade
躲避战和社交不适的开端
of strategic avoidance and social discomfort.
-你好 我是朱莉·贝克 -喂 你干什么呢
– Hi, I’m Juli Baker. – Hey, hey, what are you doing?
要帮忙吗
Don’t you want some help?
不用 里面有贵重东西
No. There’s some valuable things in there.
-那搬这个呢 -不不不 别动
– How about this one? – No, no, no.
快回家吧 你妈妈该担心了
Run home. Your mother’s probably wondering where you are.
不会 我妈妈知道我在这儿 她同意的
Oh, no, my mom knows where I am. She said it’s fine.
我很快发现这姑娘一点也不识趣
It didn’t take long to realize this girl could not take a hint.
-三个人在这里太挤了 -我不介意
– It’s crowded in here with three people. – I don’t mind.
太不识相了
Of any kind.
一起来搬这箱子好吗
You wanna push this one together?
布莱斯 你不是要去帮妈妈吗
Bryce, isn’t it time for you to go help your mother?
什么
Huh?
啊对 没错
Oh, yeah.
什么都挡不住她
I mean, nothing would stop her.
我正想叫她滚开时候 最囧的事情发生了
I was about to tell her to get lost when the weirdest thing happened.
真是难以置信
I couldn’t believe it.
我居然牵着一个陌生女孩的手
There I was holding hands with this strange girl.
我怎么会这么倒霉
How did I get into this mess?
你好啊
Well, hello.
-你已经认识我儿子了 -是啊
– I see you’ve met my son. – Uh-huh.
结果 我做了七岁男子汉唯一能做的事
Finally, I did the only manly thing available when you’re 7 years old.
可是 我的麻烦还远未结束
However, my troubles were far from over.
当我一踏入埃尔森老师的教室…
The minute I walked into Miss Yelson’s classroom…
布莱斯 你来了
Bryce? You’re here.
显然
…it was clear:
学校也不是一方净土
School would not be a sanctuary.
嘿 布莱斯 你女朋友呢
Hey, Bryce, where’s your girlfriend?
我的一世清名毁了
I was branded for life.
嘿 布莱斯 你怎么不向她求婚呢
Hey, Bryce, why don’t you ask her to marry you?
布莱斯和朱莉高高坐树上
Bryce and Juli sitting in a tree
卿卿我我不分离
K-l-S-S-l-N-G
我刚到镇上的第一年就是场灾难
My first year in town was a disaster.
瞧瞧他们
Look at them.
接下来三年也没好到哪去
And the next three weren’t much better.
不过终于 在六年级时 我采取了行动
But finally, in the sixth grade, I took action.
我想出了个主意
I hatched the plan.
雪莉
Sherry.
雪莉 等等我
Sherry, wait up.
你好 布莱斯
Hi, Bryce.
我约了雪莉·斯图出去
I asked out Sherry Stalls.
不知你是否愿意去…
I was wondering if you wanted to go…
这个主意的绝妙之处在于
To full appreciate the brilliance of this plan…
朱莉讨厌雪莉·斯图
…you have to understand that Juli hated Sherry Stalls…
尽管我不明就里
…though I never understood why.
雪莉温柔友善 还有着一头浓密的金发
Sherry was nice, friendly and she had a lot of hair.
起先 我妈妈不同意我打耳洞 可我不停请求
At first, my mother wouldn’t let me get my ears pierced, but I begged…
我的计划是先和雪莉一起吃饭
The idea was that Sherry would eat with me…
之后我们也许能并肩而行
…maybe we’d walk around together,
这样朱莉大概就会知难而退了
and hopefully Juli would lose interest.
不过我还是不能在十六岁以前打耳洞
But I still can’t get the hoops till I’m 16.
真遗憾
Oh, that’s a shame.
美兰妮也想打耳洞
So Melanie wanted to get her ears pierced,
她妈妈当然不同意啦
but of course her mother said no.
然后她就大发脾气
So she threw a fit and
把她的强尼·麦瑟斯精选集唱片砸了个稀烂
smashed her Johnny Mathis Greatest Hits album…
于是就被关起来了
…and she got grounded, so
她也不能参加我的睡衣派对了
now she can’t come to my pajama sleepover party.
事情进展得异常顺利
Things were unfolding quite nicely.
你的科学展作品准备得怎样了
What are you doing for your science project?
直到被我当作死党的伽利特·艾宾德
That is, until my supposed best friend, Garrett Einbinder…
也对雪莉发起了攻势
…took an interest in Sherry himself.
我打算展示
I was thinking of showing how
不同护发素对头发分叉的影响
split ends react with different hair conditioners.
太有趣了
That’s fascinating.
这个重色轻友的叛徒伽利特
Loyalty gave way to desire and Garrett, the turncoat…
告诉了雪莉我的意图
…told Sherry what I was up to.
混♥蛋♥
Jerk.
她很生气
She didn’t take it well.
再说到朱莉
Word got back to Juli,
她很快又开始含情脉脉地注视我
and pretty soon she started up with the goo-goo eyes again.
不过这次更糟
Only this time it was worse.
她开始闻我
She started sniffing me.
没错 闻我
That’s right, sniffing me.
那是干什么呢
What was that all about?
我唯一的慰藉就是期望明年会有所改变
My only consolation was that next year would be different.
上初中学校更大
Junior high, bigger school.
也许我们不会分到一个班 就终于能分开了
Maybe we’d be in different classes and it would finally, finally be over.
我遇到布莱斯·洛斯奇的第一天就怦然心动了
The first day I met Bryce Loski, I flipped.
他的眼睛 那双明亮迷人的眼睛吸引了我
It was those eyes, something in those dazzling eyes.
一起来搬这箱子好吗
You wanna push this one together?
当时 他家刚搬到我家对面
His family had just moved into the neighborhood…
我跑过去帮助他们
…and I’d gone over to help them.
我爬上货车才两分钟
I’d been in the van all of two minutes
他爸爸就叫他去给他妈妈帮忙
when his dad sent him off to help his mom.
看得出来他并不愿意
I could see he didn’t wanna go.
于是我跟着他
So I chased after him to see if
看能不能在他进去忙活之前跟他玩一会
we could play a little before he got trapped inside.
后来不知怎的他就握着我的手了
The next thing I know, he’s holding my hand…
注视着我的眼睛
…and looking right into my eyes.
我的心跳都停止了
My heart stopped.
就是这种感觉吗
Was this it?
这会是我的初吻吗
Would this be my first kiss?
-可这时他妈妈出来了 -你好啊
– But then his mother came out. – Well, hello.
他很不好意思 羞得满脸通红
And he was so embarrassed, his cheeks turned completely red.
那晚 我躺在床上
I went to bed that night
幻想着那个极可能发生的吻
thinking of the kiss that might have been.
很明显他对我也有意思
I mean, it was clear he had feelings for me,
只是他太害羞而不敢表达
but he was just too shy to show them.
妈妈说男孩子就是这样
My mother said boys were like that.
于是我决定帮助他
So I decided to help him out.
布莱斯 你来啦
Bryce? You’re here.
我要给他许多机会来克服害羞
I would give him plenty of opportunity to get over his shyness.
到了六年级 我收敛了不少
By the sixth grade, I’d learned to control myself.
结果雪莉·斯图闯了进来
Then Sherry Stalls entered the picture.
雪莉·斯图不过是个爱发牢骚
Sherry Stalls was nothing but a whiny,
八卦 喜欢暗箭伤人的轻佻女孩
gossipy, backstabbing flirt.
秀发迷人但徒有其表
All hair and no substance.
她过来了
And there she was…
与布莱斯十指紧扣 是我的布莱斯
…holding hands with Bryce. My Bryce.
这个人还等待着我的初吻呢
The one was walking around with my first kiss.
我的对策就是无视她 我知道聪明如布莱斯
My solution was to ignore her. I knew a boy of Bryce’s caliber…
终有一天会识穿雪莉·斯图的浅薄
…would eventually see through a shallow conniver like Sherry Stalls.
果然不出一周 他们在午休时分手了
It took all of a week. They broke up at recess.
她很生气
She didn’t take it well.
布莱斯逃离了雪莉的魔爪
Now that Bryce was out of Sherry’s evil clutches,
他对我的态度也好多了
he started being nicer to me.
-你好 朱莉 -你好 布莱斯
– Hi, Juli. – Hi, Bryce.