Anyway, I don’t have contacts in Canton.
我是北方人
I’m from the north.
广州人讨厌北方人
They hate a Northerner there.
对他们来说比白人还讨厌
Worse than a white man to them.
我真正想要的是一个农场
What I’d really like is a farm.
这边以南的土地很开阔
Land south of here is wide-open.
世界想要榛子
The world wants filberts.
或核桃
Or walnuts.
或杏仁
Or almonds.
可以采摘运走的东西
Something you can pick up and send,
但种树没那么简单
but you can’t just grow a tree.
需要时间
It takes time.
起步才是最困难的
It’s the getting started that’s the puzzle.
穷♥人♥难找到发家之路
No way for a poor man to start.
需要资本
You need capital,
或者需要某种奇迹发生
or you need some kind of miracle.
需要手段
You need leverage.
或者犯罪
Or a crime.
我将来想开一家旅馆
I’d like to open a hotel someday,
让旅人寄宿的地方
a place for travelers.
或一家面包房♥
Or a bakery.
不错啊
That’s nice.
一家旅馆兼面包房♥
A hotel and a bakery,
提供野越橘派
with wild-huckleberry pies.
你可以在这里开
You could do that here.
想去更暖和的地方
Someplace warmer.
上面有洞
It has holes in it,
看起来像人的脸
and it looks like the face of a man.
只是一块黑色岩石
It’s just one black rock.
那是气象石
That’s a weather stone.
据说可以祈雨
It makes rain, they say.
据说它曾经是一位厉害的精灵
They say it was a powerful spirit once
然后变成了石头
and got turned into stone.
要是有人坐在上面 就会下雨
If anyone sits on it, it rains.
你相信这种说法吗
You really believe in that?
我在不同的地方相信不同的事物
I believe different things in different places.
今天看到了一头牛
Saw a cow today.
离法克特首领家不远
It wasn’t far from Chief Factor’s house.
在草地上
In a meadow.
我想要它的奶
I’d like some of that milk.
我不喝牛奶
I-I’m not a milk drinker.
喝了不舒服
It doesn’t agree with me.
我不是想喝
I wouldn’t drink it.
我想用它做饼干
I’d use it for cookies.
或者烤饼
Or scones.
酪乳糕点最好吃了
Nothing better than buttermilk biscuits.
我实在不想吃白面包了
I’m tired of this flour-and-water bread.
做好糕点还需要什么 库奇
What else do you need to make good biscuits, Cookie?
面粉 一点糖
Flour, some sugar,
盐
salt,
苏打粉
baking soda.
挤牛奶需要多长时间
How long does it take to milk a cow?
不长
Not long.
-动静大吗 -不大
– Make much noise? – No.
奶牛可以在晚上产奶吗
Can cows give milk at night?
只要晚饭后没有挤奶就可以
As long as she wasn’t milked after dinner.
我上去放哨
I’ll go up and keep an eye on things from here.
抬我一下
Give me a lift.
要是有情况 我就叫你
If I see anything, I’ll, uh, give a call.
-好的 -我会学猫头鹰叫
– All right. – I’ll do an owl.
我觉得你上不去
I don’t think you can get up there.
你好
Hello.
你好吗
How are you?
没想到这么晚还有人来吧
Didn’t expect company this late at night, did you?
我们来了
Well, here we are.
你丈夫的事 节哀顺变
Sorry about your husband.
我听说它没能撑过旅程
I heard he didn’t make it all the way.
还有你的小牛…
And your calf…
真是太难过了
It’s a terrible thing.
太难过了
Terrible.
但你在这里安顿下来了
But you got a nice place here.
没错
You do.
这里对你来说挺不错的吧
You got a real nice little place here, don’t you?
你觉得别人会花多少钱
How much do you think someone would pay for
买♥♥这样的糕点
a biscuit like that?
真希望我们有蜂蜜
I wish we had some honey.
一杯威士忌卖♥♥两银币
A glass of whiskey is two silver coins.
一根酸黄瓜卖♥♥三银币
A pickle is three.
在贸易站工作的人
Men work out in the fort,
手里不缺银币 贝壳和公♥司♥券
loaded with silver and shells and company script.
我见过有人为一把破叉子付了
I once saw a man spend five good beaver pelts
五张上好的海狸皮
on a broken fork.
我们应该试试水
I think we should test the waters.
库奇 我们把下一批拿去卖♥♥吧
Next batch, Cookie, we’ll take to market.
我听说有人靠这个发了财
I’ve heard a fortune is made on this.
似乎挺危险
That seems dangerous.
值得做的事都是如此
So is anything worth doing.
我觉得他们会喜欢口味更甜的
I think they’d like something sweeter.
五支 六支 半价
Five twists, six twists half off.
六支 半价 六支 六支
Six twists, half off. Six twists, six twists.
新鲜的油蛋糕
Fresh Oily Cakes.
桑威奇群岛这一边最好吃的
Best this side of the Sandwich Islands.
看着不像硬饼干 也不像苏打面包
Don’t look like hardtack. Or soda bread.
看着像某种煎饼
Look like some kind of pancake.
闻着挺香 里面加了什么
It smells good. What’s in it?
配料保密 是中国古老的秘方
Secret ingredient. Ancient Chinese secret.
多少钱
How much?
五钢锭或者等价物
Five ingots or the equal in trade.
我的天 再给我一个
Good lord! Give me another.
一共十一 好的
That’s 11, all right.
最后一个我出六钢锭
I’ll give you six ingots for that last one.
-七贝壳 -拜托
– Seven shells. – Come on.
-七贝壳加一钢锭 -等等 大伙 等等
– Seven shells, one ingot. – Wait, lads. Hold on.
油蛋糕卖♥♥给这位先生
Oily cake to this gentleman.
明天我们会做更多
We’ll have more tomorrow.
用你的牛奶做了些油蛋糕
Made some oily cakes with your milk.
非常好吃
They were very good.
飞速就卖♥♥光了
Couldn’t sell them fast enough.
加了点蜂蜜
A little honey,
也许是因为加了你的奶才这么好吃
or it was your milk in the batter that did it.
是的 是的
Yeah, yeah.
你真是个好女孩
What a good, sweet girl you are.
帮我占着位置 我马上回来
Hold my place. I’ll be right back.
-不许插队 -我之前在这里的
– No cuts allowed. – I was here.
他在帮我占位置
He was saving my spot.
限购一个
One is the limit.
我听说是那个中国人自己做的
I heard it from the Chinaman himself.
先到先得 朋友
First come, first served, friends.
你们下次应该多做点
You ought to make more next time.
我们一天只能做这么多 朋友
Only so many we can make in a day, friend.
他们想卖♥♥高价
They want to keep them prices up.
他们可不傻
They’re not dumb.
该死 这里面加了什么
Damn it. What’s in these things?
味道像我妈妈做过的一样
Tastes like something my mama made.
这是我们的秘方 朋友
That’s our secret, boys.
就当作是尝尝家乡的味道吧
Think of it as a little taste of home.
我们明天会做更多
We’ll have more tomorrow.
这么多可以在加州买♥♥一块地了
Could buy an acre in California for that.
算是个起步
It’s a start, all right.
但不会持续太久
It won’t last much longer, though.
他们会吃腻的