你知道那边的情况
You know what it’s like in there.
怎么可能知道
No way of knowing.
这就是我看到的
That’s what I saw.
我跟你说 这可是第一头
I’m telling you, it’s the first one,
本地区的第一头牛
first cow in the Territory.
一路大老远运到旧金山去
Shipped it all the way up to Saint Francisco.
圣路易斯奥比斯波
Saint Luis Obispo.
位于旧金山与洛杉矶之间的城市
我听到旧金山了
I heard Saint Francisco.
我跟船夫聊过了
I spoke to the ferryman,
他就是那个把牛运来的人
and he was the one bringing the cow.
这你得问法克特首领
You need to ask the Chief Factor about that.
法克特首领订了两头奶牛和一头小牛
Chief Factor ordered two cows and a calf,
这是真事
and that’s a true story,
但有一头死在路上了
but the other ones died on the way.
一头奶牛能有什么用处
What good is one cow to anyone?
奶牛需要种牛才行
Cow needs a stud.
种牛是用来交♥配♥的
以保证奶牛一直处于哺乳期
法克特首领喝茶要加奶
Chief Factor wants milk in his tea.
像个真正的英国绅士一样
Like a proper English gentleman.
像个淑女一样
Like a proper lady.
这可不是牛待的地方
This ain’t a place for cows.
否则上帝早就让牛来了
God would have put cows here if it was.
这也不是白人待的地方
Ah, it’s no place for white men either then, huh?
看看谁来了
Well, look who’s here.
聪明的[耀眼的]威廉
Brilliant William!
我需要点阳光 威廉
I need a few sunbeams, William.
你可以给我打包一些阳光吗
Can you gather me up a dozen sunbeams?
它们满地都是
They’re on the ground just laying around everywhere.
-多老的也可以 -给我来杯啤酒
– Any old beams will do. – I’ll have a beer.
我有个问题
Here’s a question.
舌头是什么味道的
What does a tongue taste like?
你有想过吗
Do you ever think about that?
我敢说你对自己舌头的味道
I bet you have some distinct opinions
一定有自己独特的感受
about what your tongue tastes like.
我说的对吗 威廉
Am I right, William?
商家们都…
Oh, traders all…
你在说什么呢 聪明的威廉
Whatcha saying there, Brilliant William?
聪明一点又不是坏事
Something brilliant ain’t bad.
他总是善于提出一些聪明的见解
He’s always good for some clever opinions.
江和湖有什么区别
What’s the difference between a river and a lake?
你搞清楚了吗
You figure that one out yet?
小威
Willy?
我可不是在烦他
I’m not bothering him.
我是真心实意地提问
I’m just asking him an honest question.
是先有鸡还是先有蛋呢
What about the chicken and the egg?
在从蛋的角度考虑之前
He knew for sure it was a chicken
他确信是先有鸡的
until he thought about it from the egg’s point of view.
真是伤了你的小脑筋
That one really hurt your old noggin.
对不对 威廉
Didn’t it, William?
对吧 我想你的颅骨
Yep. Yep. I think that’s how you got
就是因为这个裂开的
this crack in your brain bone.
小威 最好做点什么
Willy, better do something,
不然你的头就要炸了
or your head is going to blow.
你 帮我看着他 等我回来
You, watch him ’til I’m done.
赚点正经钱
Make some proper money, eh?
你好 库奇
Hello, Cookie.
我就觉得我早晚都会碰到你的
Thought I might find you here sooner or later.
我从没想过还能再见到你
I never thought I’d ever see you again.
我很幸运
I was lucky.
那些俄♥国♥恶棍
Those, uh, Russian villains,
在我离开你之后就离开了这个国家
they left the country just after I left you.
看我现在
Well, here I am,
自♥由♥自在 又回到了我原来的地方
free and easy, right back where I was.
你的好友们都去哪了
Uh, where are all your kind friends?
他们大部分去了南方 有一些去了北方
Oh, they mostly went south, some north.
但你没去
But not you.
还没
Not yet.
没人想带上我
No one would have me.
你这段时间住在哪里
And, uh, where are you staying in the meantime?
我在那边一公里外有个帐篷
I got a tent a mile that way,
在山的另一边
other side of the hill.
我在另一边一公里外有个地方
I’ve got a place a mile thataway.
我那里还有瓶酒
Mm, I’ve got a bottle there, too.
也许你愿意来帮我喝掉它
Maybe you’d, uh, like to come help me drink it.
当然 我愿意 但是
Uh, of course, I would, but…
丢下他
Well, leave him.
他没事的
He’s fine.
他没事的
He’s fine.
你在这等着
Well, you wait here.
好吗
All right?
你♥爸♥爸很快就回来了
Your daddy will be back soon.
-该死的 詹姆斯 -我放那儿了
– Damn it, James! – Well, I put it there.
我在这里已经待了快两年了
I’ve been in these parts close to two years now.
我不止一次想过要离开
I’ve thought about leaving more than once,
但我察觉到了机会
but I sense opportunity here.
每周都有船只进出
Ships coming in and out every week.
原材料比我在任何地方见过的都要多
More raw materials than anywhere I’ve seen,
而我到处都去过了
and I’ve been all over.
你到处都去过
You’ve been everywhere.
我首次乘商船去广州时才九岁
I caught my first trade ship to Canton when I was nine.
再从那里乘船到过伦敦
From there, I sailed to London,
非洲 见过金字塔
Africa, saw the pyramids.
我跟你说 这可是一片富饶的土地
This is a land of riches, I tell you.
我在这片土地上看到了从未见过的东西
I see something in this land I haven’t seen before.
到目前为止 几乎到处都被发掘过了
Pretty much everywhere has been touched by now.
但这里还是新的
But this is still new,
这里周围的无名生物
more nameless things around here
比鳗鱼身上的宝贝还多
than you can shake an eel at.
对我来说并不新 看起来很老
Doesn’t seem new to me, seems old.
如果你这样看 什么都是老的
Everything is old if you look at it that way.
历史的洪流还没有到来
History isn’t here yet.
即将到来 但这次我们来得更早
It’s coming, but we got here early this time.
也许这次 我们准备好创造历史了
Maybe this time, we can be ready for it.
我们可以按照自己的想法来
We can take it on our own terms.
我知道 看起来不怎么样
It’s not much to look at, I know.
敬…随便什么
Here’s to… something.
你别客气 我去生个火
You make yourself easy. I’ll get a fire going.
看起来已经好多了
Looks better already.
放轻松 坐下
Relax. Sit. Sit.
你是哪里人 库奇
Where are you from, Cookie?
马里兰
Maryland.
没去过
Never been.
挺好的
It’s fine.
我也没什么印象了
I don’t remember it much.
没有好到能留下
Not fine enough to stay, huh?
我出生时母亲就去世了
My mother died when I was born,
然后我父亲也去世了
and then my father died.
我只能不停地换工作
I had to move on to find work.
我从未停止过流浪
Well… I never stopped moving.
我曾经有过一个想法 皮毛是一回事
I had an idea once. Furs are one thing,
但海狸体内也有一种珍贵的油
but there’s a precious oil in the beavers, too.
在中国可是很值钱的
That’s worth something in China.
那边的人用它来治病
They use it for medicine over there.
如果有人能把一批珍贵的海狸油
If a man could take a batch of that precious beaver oil
用船运到广东 他就能发大财
on a ship to Canton, he could make his fortune.
你为什么没这么做
Why don’t you?
油在腺体里
Eh, oil is in the glands.
腺体还没到贸易站
Glands never make it back to the fort,
就烂在树林里了
just rot away in the woods.
总之 我在广州也没有熟人