你的手要这么摆
You have to swing your arms up like this,
你得像…纳粹行军一样
and you have to do a… sort of a Nazi march.
你会看到她骑在小摩托化自行车上
You’d see her on her little motorised bicycle.
我记得我有时觉得
I mean, I remember sometimes thinking
《绿野仙踪》中的反派
她看起来有点像西方坏女巫
she kind of looked like… the Wicked Witch of the West.
脖子上总挂着她的照相机
Always had her camera around her neck.
脖子上总挂着照相机
Always the camera around her neck.
詹妮弗·勒旺
她有台了不起的照相机…我记得是方形的
She had, like, this great camera with… I remember, it was a square.
禄莱相机 你翻开它
Rolleiflex. You flip open the thing
然后直接低头看取景器
and you look through the viewfinder directly down.
巴里·沃利斯
我渴望有台禄莱双反
I lusted after a twin-lens Rolly.
她就有一台
And here, she had one.
我看着那台相机 它看起来很旧了
And I looked at that camera, and it looked like it was rather old.
你瞧 禄莱是一款很好的隐蔽相机
You see, the Rolleiflex is a great disguise camera.
因为它不在这么上面 会让街头的人引起警惕
Because it wasn’t up here, where she had to alert somebody on the street
知道他们在被拍
that she was photographing them.
她可以悄悄放在下面
She could be sort of secretive down here.
相机在低处拍照
The camera was shooting from below.
使照片略带伟岸之感
And it gave her pictures a kind of towering magnitude.
有张照片里的一个人 他只是个普通的街头人物
There’s a picture of a guy. He’s just an ordinary street guy.
但他富有气势和尊严
But he has a power and dignity.
他…他站在那儿看着她
And he’s… he’s standing there and he’s looking at her.
你看他的视线 他正盯着她的脸
If you look at his eyeline, he’s looking right into her face.
她可能低下头对焦然后抬眼看他
And she probably looked down and focused and then looked right up at him.
他看着她 她就按下快门
And he looked at her and she fired the shutter.
要走出门外来到街头
Street photographers tend to be gregarious
街头摄影师都比较合群
in the sense that they can go out on the street,
在人群中他们会感觉自在
and they’re comfortable being among people,
但他们又是孤独的
but they’re also a funny mixture of solitaries
有趣的孤独与合群混合体
at the same time as being gregarious.
你观察 拥抱 投入
You observe and you embrace and you take in,
但你也得后退 尽可能隐形
but you stay back and you try to stay invisible.
她不喜欢谈自己
She didn’t like to talk about herself.
卡萝·波赫
我认识的某些人 他们很开放
Some people I meet, and they’re very open.
她不是个开放的人她保守封闭
She was not an open person; She was a closed person.
她住在我们家三楼的阁楼
She lived on the third floor, in our attic,
她最先请求我的其中一件事
and one of the first things she asked me for
就是请装一道锁
was please to put in a lock
这样她可以锁起她的安全地带
so that she could lock her area securely.
这可真是个慎重其事的锁啊
It was a real serious lock.
马莲·贝兰德
她很神秘
She was mysterious.
她说不要开这道门去她房♥间
She said don’t ever open this door to her room.
我觉得她跟我交朋友
I think she made friends with me
比尔·萨科
是因为她打量我半天 觉得我够壮
because she sized me up and thought I was strong enough
搬得动她那些箱子
to lift a bunch of boxes for her.
我的车断了弹簧
I broke the springs of my car.
可想而知我搬的箱子有多重
I think that gives you an idea of how much weight I lifted.
她说她带来了全部家当
She mentioned that she brought her life with her,
就是一大推箱子
which meant a number of boxes.
我们说 “没问题” 因为我们有个车♥库♥
We said, “Sure, no problem,” ’cause we had a garage.
她的房♥间有阳台
There was a porch off of the room, you know,
那种可以睡觉的阳台
sort of those sleeping porches.
堆了满满的箱子
And it was piled high with boxes.
我们把它们摆进车♥库♥
We put them in our garage, which, fortunately,
车♥库♥幸好可停上两辆车
was a two and half car garage for two cars,
我们摆进去之后
and so we had this
从两辆车的车♥库♥
It became a twocar garage.
变成了没有空间的两车位车♥库♥
It became a tight twocar garage.
现在 当然 我们永远没法得知
Now, of course, we’ll never know
箱子里她有多少照片
how much the boxes were her photographs
还有她有多少箱子
and how much the boxes were
约翰知道啊
John knows.
可是她的箱子真的很多
Well, but she had so many boxes.
我想知道你为什么要密藏
I’d like to know why you would hoard
所有的这些伟大艺术品
all of this great art.
为…为什么你不愿分享
Why would… why wouldn’t you share it?
如果没人看 拍了又有什么意义
What’s the point of taking it if no one sees it?
真的很伤心啊
It’s so sad, really.
很伤心
It’s really sad.
如果能将全部照片拿给她看
If you could have just shown her all the pictures
把她按在椅子上
and held her down in a chair somewhere
让她没法动
so she couldn’t
往她嘴上贴胶布 这样她就没法拒绝
put a tape on her mouth so she couldn’t tell you no.
这位女子很有独创性
Obviously, the woman was so creative,
只当个女佣 应该非常
and it must have been galling to just, you know,
卑屈
be a maid.
洗地板 准备三餐
Wash the floors, making some lunch and dinner,
当保姆照看孩子
taking care of kids as a nanny.
我手头有些1951年的早期照片
Some of the early photos I have are from 1951.
其中一张背面写着 “沃克家 南安普顿”
One of them said on the back, “The Walkers, Southampton.”
纽约 南安普顿
我很惊喜看到
I was surprised to see the photographs
我祖父母房♥子的照片
of my grandparents’ house.
劳拉·沃克
我们一直叫做潮汐尽头
We always called it Tides’ End.
潮汐尽头
看到如此破旧实在太讶异了
It’s amazing to see it so dilapidated.
以前这里全是花
This was flowers.
我们在外头午餐喝茶
We’d have lunches out here and tea, and…
很棒喔
it was wonderful.
薇薇安可能夏天来度假
Vivian probably spent the summer.
她可能是纽约过来的保姆
She was probably a nanny out of New York,
跟着这家人和孩子
tagging along with the family and the children.
以前啊 父亲在纽约上班
In those days, your father worked in New York
星期五搭火车过来 礼拜天回去
and came out by train on Friday and went back on Sunday.
我不觉得这种生活有多少改变
I don’t think that’s changed very much.
现在如果去海滨俱乐部
If you go to the beach club today
走下沙滩
and go down on the sand,
你会看到那里很多保姆
you’ll see the nannies there.
这些女人有些很幸运
Some of these women have been lucky enough
能够来到美国定居
to make their way up here to the United States.
有个女生帮我忙 做了五六年了
The girl who helps me, this is her fifth or sixth year here.
她叫什么
What’s her name?
奥莉薇亚
Olivia.
很可爱很 可爱的人
Delightful, delightful person.
我蛮喜欢她
I love her dearly.
她不大会讲英语 我则不太会西班牙语
She speaks very little English, and I speak very little Spanish.
但我们相处得很好
We get along beautifully.
高地公园区欢迎您
据说她只有几个朋友
It’s been written about that she had few friends.
我把自己当成她的朋友之一
And I consider myself one of those friends.
我蛮喜欢她
I liked her a lot.
她是很棒的人
She was a terrific person.
1962年 我住高地公园区
In 1962, I lived in Highland Park.
我有几个孩子
I had a lot of small children.
我经常在家
I was home a lot.
我的一个孩子跟她照看
One of my children was friendly
的其中一个孩子很好
with one of the boys she took care of.
小孩子嘛 总是互相串门
The children, they were always at each other’s houses,
她就会过来 我们聊得很愉快
and she would come by, and we had good conversations
孩子一直在我们身边乱跑
with kids swirling around us all the time.
我家非常自♥由♥开放
I had a very freewheeling, open household.
规矩不多
There weren’t a lot of rules
除了 “别给我死在马路上”
you know, “Don’t get killed in the street.”
她喜欢孩子 孩子也喜欢她
She loved the children, and the children loved her.
她对孩子们很好
She was wonderful to the children…
我觉得她爱他们
I think probably loved them
就跟她爱其他任何人一样
as much as she probably loved anybody.
敲敲门
Knock, knock!

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!