I know that, Mary. It’s quite serious.
我知道 玛丽 事情很严重
But I’m not ready for this conversation, wherever it may lead.
但我对这个谈话会导致的后果 还没充分准备
Perhaps we can talk in the morning, yes? Good night then.
也许我们可以早上再谈 晚安
Mr Barrie. Don’t you agree this is a little bit tight?
贝瑞先生 你看这是不是有点紧?
No. No, in fact I think it’s quite…baggy. Baggy?
不 事实上这衣服挺宽大的 宽大?
Quite frumpy. I’d bring it right in just there.
挺宽松的 应该像这样
That’s very tight.
那可太紧了
And put maybe a plank of wood there to straighten him up.
可以在这放一块木板 让衣服更挺
Oh, aye. Yes, Mr Barrie. Plank of wood?
好的 先生 木板?
Some wood there on the shoulders as well.
在肩膀上也放一个
Otherwise, it’s marvelous. Right, sir.
这样就太好了 好的 先生
You’ll be sick tomorrow. I’ll be sick tonight.
你明天会病的 我今晚就会病
James.
詹姆斯
We’re just having some tea. You remember my mother, of course.
我们正在喝茶 你应该记得这是我母亲
Yes. Of course. How do you do?
是的 当然 你好
May I take your hat? That’s enough, boys.
可以把帽子给我吗? 够了 孩子们
Boys, please don’t run in the house. You’ll break something.
孩子们 别在房♥子里乱跑 小心别摔跤
Come away from that door. Come on, come on.
快离开那扇门 快!
I’d like a word with you, Mr Barrie, before you go.
贝瑞先生 在你走之前我想和你谈谈
We’ll only be a few minutes.
只要几分钟
Boys, why don’t you go and play in the garden? Go on.
孩子们 到花♥园♥去玩
Is he in trouble? Sh.
他有麻烦了 嘘
Because I’ve been alone with Grandmother and I know what it’s like.
我和外婆曾单独在一起 我知道那是啥样
Should we retire into the study? Why don’t you join them, dear?
我们去书房♥吧 亲爱的 你还是和孩子们一起吧
Very well.
好的
I do apologize for interrupting. Would you close the door, please?
我很抱歉今天… 你能关上门么?
Certainly.
当然
Sylvia has told me you have offered her the services of your household staff.
西维亚告诉我 你向他提供你所用的家政服务
Well, not exactly. That won’t be necessary.
并不完全是这样 你不需要这么做
I’ll leave that to Sylvia, of course.
当然 我会让西维亚决定的
You’ll leave that to me, Mr Barrie.
这应该我来决定
You see, I’m moving in here from now on.
从今以后我会搬过来住
You’re moving in? I’m going where I’m most needed.
您要搬进来? 我会去最需要我的地方
And I can certainly see to it that this house is managed
我可以管理这个房♥子
without resorting to your charity.
并不需要您的施舍
It isn’t charity, Mrs du Maurier. I was only trying to help, as a friend.
这不是施舍 夫人 只是作为一个朋友的帮助
Have you no idea how much your friendship has already cost my daughter?
你难道不知您朋友的友谊 已让我女儿承受了很多
Or are you really that selfish?
还是你真是那么自私?
I beg your pardon?
我不懂您说的话
Don’t you see what a visit to the summer cottage of a married man
你难道不知道一个已婚男子的经常造访
does for a widow’s future prospects?
会对一个寡妇的将来有什么影响么?
Sylvia needs to find someone. The boys need a father.
西维亚需要一个丈夫 孩子们需要一个父亲
And you are destroying any hope this family has of pulling itself together again.
你正在毁掉这个家庭重组的希望
I have only wanted good things for this family, Mrs du Maurier.
我只希望这个家庭会好起来 杜莫莉尔夫人
I’ll look after them.
我会照顾他们
You have your own family to concern yourself with.
别忘了 你还有一个自己的家庭需要关心
What are you suggesting?
你想我做什么?
I’m suggesting that you protect what you have, Mr Barrie.
我希望你保护好自己已经拥有的东西
That is precisely what I am doing.
那正是我现在做的
I was so certain what I would find in this.
我知道我会在这里找到什么
Some little confession would leak out onto the page.
一些泄露在纸中的小小坦白
I don’t write love notes in my journal.
我不会在我的日记里写爱情故事
No.
不
Still, you knew who I meant, didn’t you?
你还知道我是谁 是吧?
That’s some comfort, actually.
这至少算一种安慰
It means I know you just a little after all.
毕竟我对你了解不深
You needn’t steal my journal to get to know me, Mary.
你需要偷我的日记才能了解我 玛丽
No. I suppose I could just go see the plays.
我曾认为我能去看看那个地方
I was hopelessly naive when I married you.
我和你结婚时真是无可救药的天真
I imagined that brilliant people disappeared to some secret place
当时我认为聪明的人消失去了一个
where good ideas floated around like leaves in autumn.
好主意像树叶一样遍地都是的神秘地方
And I hoped, at least once…
而且我希望
you would take me there with you.
你至少能带我去那儿一次
There is no such place.
没有这样的地方
Yes, there is.
有
Neverland.
梦幻岛
It’s the best you’ve written, James.
这是你写的最好的剧本 詹姆斯
And I’m sure the Davies will adore the world you’ve created for them.
我肯定你是为了戴维斯一家写的
I only wish I were part of it.
我只希望我能是其中的一部分
I’ve wanted you to be. I’ve tried.
我希望你是 我努力过
Mary.
玛丽
I always imagined us going off on great adventures once we were together.
我总希望我们能一起去探险
But we moved into this house and you started, I don’t know,
但是我们搬进这房♥子 你就开始…
you started rearranging the furniture. What was I supposed to do, James?
你开始重新摆放家具 那我应该做什么?
You were always gone.
你总是不在
I was right here.
我在这儿
Sitting in your parlor, staring off into other worlds as though I didn’t exist.
坐在客厅里 盯着别的地方 好像我不存在一样
Look. Just give me bit more time to finish up the play.
再给我些时间让我把剧本完成
To spend with your muse?
和你的缪斯女神在一起?
No, I’m tired of waiting, James. I’m tired of looking like a fool.
我厌倦了等待 我不想看起来像个傻瓜
Well, I can’t very well give up the play.
我不能放弃剧本
Of course not.
当然不
Just come home to me at the end of the day. Rehearse and be home for dinner.
只要你晚上回家和我一起吃晚饭
No more trips to the country, no more long afternoons in the park.
别去乡下 下午别在公园呆很长时间
If you can’t give us that much of a chance,
如果你连这点机会都不能给
then we must end this.
我们就必须结束这一切
And I will.
我会的
Pitiful display.
可怜的家伙
Nanny. Nanny.
保姆 保姆
What?
什么?
First you get the pajamas, then you make the bed.
先拿睡衣 再铺床
With my paws?
用我的爪子?
You make the bed with your paws. The pajamas you get with your teeth.
用爪子铺床 用牙齿叼睡衣
Because in fact, being a dog, you haven’t any proper digits, have you?
你演的是狗 没有灵巧的手指 不是吗?
Well, I don’t have any teeth, either.
我也没牙齿
I mean, I can’t see. I can’t breathe.
我看不见也不能呼吸
All I’ve got is this rubbery snout.
因为我穿着橡胶头套
Can we get him some teeth? He can have mine.
可以给他装上牙齿吗? 可以用我的
We’ll get you teeth.
我们会给你装上牙齿
Let’s have a wee break, shall we? Right.
我们休息一下好吗? 好的
I thought you were wonderful. You were marvelous.
你演得真好 棒极了
I think you’re better on four legs than you are on two.
你四只脚走路比两只脚好
Oh, give it a rest. I do.
休息一下吧 我真的这么认为
Just say it, Charles, go on. Well, you picture it, James.
说说 查尔斯 觉得怎么样 好吧 你想象一下
Opening night, doctors, lawyers, businessmen and their wives,
首演的晚上 医生、律师、商人和他们的妻子
all dressed to the nines.
都打扮时髦
They’ve paid good money, they’re expecting theater, what we call theater.
他们付了很高的票价 希望能看场真正意义的戏剧
The curtain opens and it’s crocodiles and fairies and pirates and Indians.
帷幕拉开 看到的却是鳄鱼 仙女 海盗 印第安人
I don’t even know what it is.
我也不知道是什么东西
But you did know, Charles. You’re an absolute genius, Charles. That’s it.
查尔斯 你确实知道 你可真是个天才
Oh, don’t patronize me, James.
别拍我的马屁 詹姆斯
You know how much money I put into this show that I haven’t even found yet?
你不知道我资助你这部戏花了多少钱
Listen, listen. Opening night, I want 25 seats set aside.
听着 首映式上 给我留25个座位
Set aside? 25? 25 seats.
空着? 25个
Scattered throughout the theater. Two here, two there, three up there.
分散在剧院的各个角落 这边2个 那边2个 上面3个
Are they paying for it? They’re filled.
那些座位要收费么? 那些座位会满的
No, no, no. I’m asking…The seats are filled.
不不不 我是问… 那些座位会满的
Uncle Jim? Hello, boys.
詹姆斯叔叔 孩子们
Could I speak to you for a moment, please?
我能和你说会话么?
Certainly.
当然可以
25 seats, Charles. It’ll be great. It’ll be fantastic.
25个座位 查尔斯
25 scattered seats? Who’s paying for them?
25个分散座位 谁来付钱呢?
Throughout the theater.
遍布整个剧院
Who’s paying for these 25 seats? They’re filledup seats, Charles.
谁来为这25个座位付钱 这些座位预定了
Whoa. Look.
哇 瞧
This is great. I’m flying.
太棒了 我飞起来了
We don’t need to use much pull at all, see? As long as we’ve got the balance down.
我们不需要很大的力气 掌握平衡就好
Mother asked me to take the boys out for the afternoon.
妈妈今天下午让我们很担心
She said she only wanted a bit of quiet,
她说不希望任何人问起
but she was trembling so badly she couldn’t even finish her tea.
她颤抖 很难受 连茶也喝不完