Are you a writer? I am.
你是一个作家? 是的
He’s a playwright, Jack. Quite a famous one, at that.
他是舞台剧作家 那舞台剧方面相当出名
I apologize. I imagine you’re writing. No. Not at all.
很抱歉 我想您也许正在创作 不 别这么说
Where’s Peter? What have you written, Mr Barrie?
彼得呢? 你在写些什么 贝瑞先生?
Well, currently, I make my living entertaining princes and their courts
最近…我是在依靠娱乐达官贵人们为生
with my trained bear, Porthos.
用我那只训练有素的…熊 波索
If you command your brother, Peter, to join us,
如果你命令你的弟弟彼得来加入我们
I am willing, Prince George, to give you just such a performance
乔治王子 我很乐意为您做些表演
in exchange for the freedom of this prisoner, of course.
就当作是释放这个可怜的囚犯的交换吧
Very well. Very well.
我答应你了 很好
Now…
现在…
I want you to pay particular attention to the teeth.
我要你特别当心你的牙齿
Some unscrupulous trainers will show you a bear whose teeth have all been pulled,
最残忍♥的训兽师会把动物的牙齿都拔光
while other cowards will force the brute into a muzzle.
或者是给动物们戴上口罩
Only the true master would attempt these tricks without either measure of safety.
真正的大♥师♥才不在乎这些安全措施
What did you bring me over here for? Peter.
你把我拉来这里干什么? 彼得
This is absurd. It’s just a dog.
这太荒谬了 那只是一支狗
Come on, darling.
别这样 亲爱的
“Just a dog”? “Just”?
“只是一支狗”? “只是”?
Porthos, don’t listen to him.
波索 别听他瞎说
Porthos dreams of being a bear
波索一直梦想着变成一只熊
and you want to dash those dreams by saying he’s “just a dog”?
你却无情的说出 “只不过是只狗”…
What a horrible, candle-snuffing word.
多么让人伤心和扼腕的词语啊…
That’s like saying, “He can’t climb that mountain, he’s just a man.”
那就好像是说 “他不可能爬过那座山 他只是个人”
Or, “That’s not a diamond, it’s just a rock.”
或者是 “那才不是钻石 只不过是块石头”
“Just.”
“只是”?
Fine then. Turn him into a bear. If you can.
好啊 那你就把它变熊 如果你做得到的话
Peter, where are your manners?
彼得 注意你的礼貌
With those eyes, my bonny lad, I’m afraid you’d never see it.
仔细看吧 我的孩子 保证让你大开眼界
However, with just a wee bit of imagination,
不过…这需要你有一点想象的空间
I can turn around right now and see…
当我转过身 我就看到了…
the great bear, Porthos.
巨熊波索
Dance with me.
和我跳支舞吧!
Thank you. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a performance quite like it.
谢谢 我想过去我从来没看过像这样的表演
We’re here every day, and the bear is always more than happy to perform.
我们每天都会随时乐意为您再次演出
Well, perhaps we’ll see you here tomorrow then.
也许我们明天会再见面的
Perhaps.
也许
Peter, jump up please, darling. Quick. Bye.
彼得 快起来吧 亲爱的 再见
Bye.
再见
Peter, didn’t you enjoy that? I’ve seen better.
彼得 你不喜欢那演出吗 我看到过比他更好的
Well, Michael wanted the bear kept prisoner with him,
麦克希望能和熊被关在一起
and Peter insisted that Michael was hardly a prisoner
彼得却认为麦克甚至都不能算是一个囚犯
and Porthos simply wasn’t a bear at all.
而波索则根本不是一头熊
I do very much hope to see them tomorrow.
我真希望明天能再见到他们
What’s her name? Sylvia. Um…
她叫什么名字? 西维亚…呃…
Mrs…something Davies.
什么…戴维斯小姐的
Llewelyn Davies?
路维林 戴维斯?
You know her? I know who she is, of course.
你认识她? 我当然认识她
Why, she’s a du Maurier, for heaven’s sake.
她可是杜莫莉尔家族的人
Her father was the artist. Her brother’s the actor.
她父亲是位艺术家 哥哥是一位演员
And there was something…tragic that happened with her husband.
但她的丈夫则非常不幸
Oh, yes. He died.
喔 对了 他去世了
Cancer of the jaw, I believe.
好像是癌症
That’s horrible.
真不幸…
Yes. Apparently, he left her with four boys and no income to speak of.
的确如此 他留下了4个孩子 而她自己没任何收入
If it wasn’t for her mother’s help…
如果没有她妈妈的帮忙
James.
詹姆斯
We should have them to dinner. Should we?
我们应该邀请她们来吃晚餐 这样好吗
Absolutely. I’ve always wanted to meet Madam du Maurier.
当然 我一直想见见杜莫莉尔夫人
Why, she knows practically everyone there is worth knowing.
据我所知 她的名字几乎无人不知
What are you writing about?
你在写些什么?
Nothing of any great consequence.
不是什么大不了的东西
I can’t write.
我还不会写作
Have you ever kept a journal?
你有写日记的习惯吗?
Ever tried your hand at writing a play?
有没有尝试过写一出戏剧?
Well, then how do you know?
那你怎么知道你不会写呢?
I know. That’s all.
我就是知道
I see. Where’s your mother today and the rest of the boys?
我明白了 你母亲和其他的孩子们呢
Home. Mother’s got a bit of a chest cold.
家里 妈妈有些着凉了
I’m sure everyone would be happy to see you though. One afternoon.
但我想他们都会高兴见到你的 下午一点
I should leave you to your writing.
我不打扰你写作了
Peter.
彼得
I’ll see you later then.
待会见
Why didn’t you tell me, Charles? You knew it wasn’t any good.
为什么你不告诉我? 你知道那出戏不够好
Why didn’t you tell me. James? You knew it wasn’t any good. Hm?
你又为何不和我谈谈呢 你也清楚那出戏不够好
I took an extended lease on the theater, keeping the actors on.
我延长了合同的时间 演员随时准备着
I don’t have another play. I’m sure you will.
我可没有其他的剧本了 我想你会有的
Won’t you? We’ll see.
对吗? 我们等着看吧…
I need you to sign for the storage, Mr Frohman.
请您签一下仓库存单 弗罗曼先生
Lower. Easy does it. Take your time.
低一些 慢慢来 小心点
It was never meant to be taken seriously.
从来没有人对这事这么认真过
You know what happened, James? They changed it.
你知道的 詹姆斯 是他们改变了局面…
They changed what? The critics.
改变了什么? 那些评论
They made it important.
他们让戏剧变得引人关注了
What’s it called?
你管这叫什么?
What’s it called?
叫什么?
“Play.” “Play.”
“戏剧” “戏剧”
Return the boy to us, you nasty Injun.
把那个孩子交出来 你这个肮脏的印第安人
Our people teach boy Indian ways, make him great warrior.
我们把印第安人的智慧传授给他 让他成为真正的勇士
Our chief, Running Nose, never let him go.
我们的”鼻涕虫”酋长 绝不会放他走的
Me wounded, Peter. Time’s short.
我受伤了 彼得 没多少时间了…
You go. Spread wings and soar like eagle above enemy.
你快走 化身成鹰 展翅翱翔在敌人的上空
Fly back to our chief. Tell her of my brave defeat.
飞回去告诉我们的酋长 我战死沙场…
That’s crazy. Indians can’t fly.
这太夸张了 印第安人不能飞的啊!
Of course they can. Go on, go on, go on.
他们当然可以 快走! 快! 快!
Listen to us, boy. This Injun kidnapped you.
听我说 孩子 那个印第安人绑♥架♥了你
Not true. We kidnap no one. You lost boy.
胡说 我们没有绑♥架♥你 你是迷路了
I teach you ways of the brave. I take you as my own son.
是我让你变得勇敢 把你当成我自己的孩子来对待
You are not my father.
你不是我爸爸
I’ve got him! Let me go!
我抓住他了! 放开我!
Stop it, you two. Ooh, we are awful, aren’t we?
你们两个住手! 我们是来真的 不是吗
I’m warning you. Oh, I’m scared.
我警告你 我好怕啊…
Of course, you had a bit of fun for a change.
我受够你了
Stop it, you two. Get off! Don’t.
住手 你们两个 别打了! 不
Jack! Stop it!
杰克 住手
Get off, George! Peter.
住手! 乔治! 彼得
I’m terribly sorry. No, it wasn’t your fault.
我很抱歉 不 那不是您的错
I’m afraid it might have been.
我想这都应该怪我
To be honest, I’m just happy you got him to join in the game.
说实话 我很高兴您来陪他们游戏
Oh, yes, I was a tremendous success.
没关系 我已经取得了巨大的成功
Mr Barrie, it’s more than I’ve been able to achieve.
贝瑞先生 您做的已经比我多的多了
Peter’s a different boy since his father died.
自从他父亲死后 彼得就有点变了
You know, I don’t think he’s even had a good cry about it.
他甚至没怎么为他父亲的死哭过
Well, grief affects us all in different ways, doesn’t it?
悲伤的表达有着多种方式 不是吗?
Yes, it does.
是的 没错!
Oh, by the way, my wife would like to invite you and the boys over to dinner.
对了 我太太想邀请 您和孩子们来吃晚餐
Your mother as well.
还有您的母亲
How kind. That would be lovely.
您太客气了 我想一定是一次愉快的拜访
Don’t you all look lovely in your little suits?
你们穿着小西装非常可爱
And, Mrs du Maurier, what a shame it is that we’ve not met until this evening.
杜莫莉尔夫人 今晚才当面见到您 真有点惭愧
How kind of you to say so.
您这么说太客气了
Not at all. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve been to a charity or a social event
一点也不过分 我多次在社交活动和慈善活动中
and seen your name listed among the organizers.
发现您的名字出现在组织者那一栏
It’s the very thing I would love to do myself
我一直把您当成我的榜样
if I could just find the time.
只是希望我也能有时间去做这些事情
My problem is in finding the time to do everything else.
我的问题倒是去找时间去做其他的事情
At the moment I am running two households.
现在我正打理着两个家庭
Sylvia believes she can get by without a housekeeper.
西维亚相信她不用管家就可以应付一切
Mother.
妈妈
My house is quite large enough for us all,
我自己的房♥子足够大 能容下我们两家庭