l got you.
你以前出来过,对吧?
You used to get out, right?
对,好久以前
Yeah, a long time ago.
– 发生什么事了? – 我怎么知道
– What happened? – How the hell should l know?
我没有看时间
l didn’t keep track of the time.
抱歉在那儿跟你走失了
Sorry for losing you back there.
不必道歉
No apology needed.
好的,我带你去一个地方,它在回家路上很静的
Good, because l got one more place. lt’s quiet and it’s on the way home.
你只有十分钟
You only got 1 0 minutes.
– 好的 – 尽情享受吧
– All right. – Keep it going.
– 拿着,没事的 – 非常感谢
– Take that. lt’s all good. – Thanks a lot.
球赛地面
Ground level.
卢斯建造的房♥子
House that Ruth built.
为什么带我来这儿?
Why did you bring me here?
因为今天是你生日,伙计
Because it’s your birthday, man.
我在年鉴那儿查的
l looked it up in the almanac.
他们还没把你放在死人那一栏
They don’t even have you in the dead people section yet.
我想你看过这么多比赛…
l figure with all the games you watched…
…无论跟谁看,你从未站得这么近
…with whoever you watched them with, you never got down this close.
– 他们在干嘛? – 你担心个啥
– What the hell are they doing? – What you worried about, man?
好像他们要在这儿打世界杯似的
You acting like they gonna play a World Series championship game.
放轻松
Relax.
我和我哥哥,我们以前每场比赛都来看
My brother and l, we were here for every game.
直到他去打仗
Till he left for the war.
我想他回来后还是一样…
l thought it’d be the same when he came back…
…但他说的少了…
…but he talked a little less…
…喝的多了
…and drank a little more.
我承诺我母亲,我会帮他戒酒
l promised my mother l would help him get through it all.
于是一晚我在他那儿…
So l caught up with him this one night…
…我已经喝了好几杯了
…and l was already half a dozen drinks behind.
我们又喝了一些
So we had a few more.
过了一会他说他想…
And after a while he tells me he wants…
…开车送我回家
…to drive me back to the apartment.
我说“不用了,谢谢”
l said, “No, thanks.”
我们都在那儿住
We were all still living there then.
我只是站那儿…
l just stood there…
…看着他开走
…and watched him drive off.
整场战争都熬过来了…
Makes it through the whole goddamn war…
…而我却让他开车
…and l let him drive.
那天晚上后来…
Later that night…
…那护士在打着她们打的东西…
…the nurse was typing whatever it is they type…
…你知道她跟我说什么了吗?
…and you know what she tells me?
她告诉我我的书对她多重要
She tells me how much my book meant to her.
我哥哥在隔壁房♥间快死了…
My brother’s getting cold in the next room…
…她谈的却只是一本书
…and all she can talk about is a book.
所以…
Well…
…从那以后一切都变了
…everything changed from then on.
五个月内,我埋葬了他,我母亲,我父亲
Within five months, l buried him, my ma, my father.
他们都埋在这儿…
All of them here…
…在布朗克斯
…in the Bronx.
我们在球场度过夏天
We’d spent our summers here.
如果我们幸运,秋天也是
And if we were lucky, the fall.
那些队秋天也很多比赛
A lot of falls with those teams.
是的,但…
Yeah, well…
…不够多
…not enough.
那些比我们先逝者…
“The rest of those who have gone before us…
…不能安抚那些后逝者…
…cannot steady the unrest of those…
…的不安
…to follow.”
是你在你的书中写的
You wrote that in your book.
贾默,我了解如果我给你足够的时间…
Jamal, l realize that if l give you enough time…
…你会令我也惊奇
…you’ll find a way to amaze even me.
他知道吗?
Does he know?
他不知道
No, he doesn’t know.
这是我很久以来度过最美好的夜晚
This was one of the best evenings l’ve had in quite some time.
在所有夜晚之中?
All of it?
是的,在所有夜晚中
Yes, all of it.
我…
Well, l….
这家伙
This guy, man.
你怎么认识他的?
How do you say you know this guy again?
– 他是我老师 – 哦,是吗?
– He’s my teacher. – Oh, yeah?
看起来像个奇怪的人
Seems like a different kind of dude.
认识这些人吗?
Anyone in particular?
我有时早上来这儿
l sometimes come here in the morning.
就我,将来的作家…
Just me, the aspiring…
…和他们全部
…and all of them.
有个纸条让我来见你
l got a note saying l should come and see you.
沃勒斯先生…
Mr. Wallace…
…我想你我该非常诚恳…
…l think it’s time you and l had a very honest…
…和开放地讨论你的文章
…and very open discussion about your writing.
我以为你喜欢它们
l thought you liked it.
你最近的文章?
Your recent work?
我非常喜欢
l liked it very much.
不,关于你最近文章的问
No, Mr. Wallace, the question concerning your most recent work…
…不是它们是否好
…isn’t whether it’s good.
而是是否太好了
lt’s whether it’s too good.
你从以前的学校到…
The speed in your progress…
这里的进步速度是不寻常的
…from your old school to this one is unusual.
以致我得作出两种结论
To the point that l must draw one of two conclusions.
要不是你罕见的天才突然出现…
Either you’ve been blessed with a rare gift that has suddenly kicked in…
…否则就是…
…or…
…你的灵感来自别处
…you’re getting your inspiration from elsewhere.
考虑到你之前的教育和你的背景…
Given your previous education and your background…
…我相信你会原谅我作出我的结论
…l’m sure you’ll forgive me for reaching my own conclusions.
论文是我写的
l wrote those papers, man.
那你就不会介意向我证明
Then you won’t mind showing me.
下一份作业两周后要交
The next assignment is due in two weeks.
我会安排你去我的办公室写的
l’ll schedule some time for you to come to my office.
我想让你去那儿写作
l’d like you to write it there.
同时,如果你想讨论任何事情…
ln the meantime, if there’s anything you wish to talk about….
我啥都不会写的
l’m not writing anything, man.
那就证明什么了?
Which proves what?
如果是两逗号♥孩子写的,他会说些“背景”废话?
lf a two-comma kid wrote the papers, would he use this “background” shit?
-“两逗号♥孩子”? – 一百万
– Two-comma kid? – A million dollars.
– 一个逗号♥,两个逗号♥ – 不
– One comma, two commas. – No.
我不懂
No, l don’t.
你知道人们最害怕什么吗?
Do you know what people are most afraid of?
– 什么? – 他们所不明白的
– What? – What they don’t understand.
但我们不明白时,我们会依靠假设
When we don’t understand, we turn to our assumptions.
克福不明白…
Crawford cannot understand…
…为何一个布朗克斯的黑人能写出你写的文章
…how a black kid from the Bronx can write the way you do.
于是他假设不是你写的
So he assumes you can’t.
就像我假设他是个混♥蛋♥
Just like l assume he’s an asshole.
你认识他,是吧?
You knew him, didn’t you?
克福?
Crawford?

No.
但他认为他认识我
But he thought he knew me.
那他的书是怎么回事?
So what’s all this stuff about his book?
许多作家知道写作的规则…
A lot of writers know the rules about writing…
– …但不知如何写作 – 因此?
– …but don’t know how to write. – So?
因此克福写了本书,关于四位会写作的作家
So Crawford wrote a book about four authors who did know.
我是唯一在生的
And l was the only one still alive.
– 然后呢? – 他说服一个出版商买♥♥下版权
– And? – He convinced a publisher to buy it.
于是我礼貌的打了个电♥话♥…
So l made a polite telephone call…
…给那出版商告诉他和其他人…
…to this publisher, telling him and others…
…我在准备写另一本书
…that l was in the process of writing a second book.
如果他们想竞投的话…
And if they wished to bid on it…
哦,原来克福的书是这样被拒绝的
Oh, so that’s why Crawford’s book went away.
但你知道不会有第二本书
But you knew there wouldn’t be a second book.
是的,但他们不知道
Yeah, but they didn’t.
资料不在身边不很有趣吗
lnteresting what happens when the resources aren’t close at hand.
在比赛最后一天…

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!