你获得教育,他们获得他们所要的
You get an education, and they get what they want.
也许你们双方都各取所需
Maybe you both get what you want.
是的,也许
Yeah, maybe.
认识你非常高兴,贾默
lt was very nice meeting you, Jamal.
我也有同感,克莉,你明天会在吗?
You too, Claire. You gonna be around tomorrow?
不会跟你一起…
Not where you’ll be…
…但你也许能在午餐时找到我
…but you might be able to find me for lunch.
我没有说那两个字
l didn’t say those two words.
为什么没有?
Why didn’t you?
因为我想你批改更多我的文章
Because l want you to read more of my stuff.
你知道,外面的人经常谈论你
You know, they talk a lot about you out there.
那些“传奇”废话
All this “legend” bullshit.
他们的故事真的挺多的
They got some stories, though.
人们想你是否杀了人
People wonder if you killed somebody.
还有你为什么在这儿呆了那么久
That, and wondering why you been in here so long.
我倒挺喜欢这儿,挺安静的
l wouldn’t move, though. l’d stay for the quiet.
这里啥杂音都听不见
You don’t hear nothing in here.
我们的家有个吵闹的邻居
Our place got these noisy neighbors.
那孩子老是在叫,因为他才一岁
Their kid’s always yelling because he’s only a year old.
那爸爸在叫因为孩子在吵
Or pops is yelling because the kid’s making noise.
然后那妈妈在叫…
Then mom’s yelling…
但那是另一种叫声…
But that’s a different yelling…
…那是因为那老头子在干♥她♥…
…because that’s when the old man’s playing the tunes for her…
…干得她的头老在墙上撞
…and she got her head banging up against the wall.
她会尖叫着像…
She be screaming like….
– 然后她… – 你最好把汤搅拌一下
– Then she… – You better stir that soup.
什么?
What?
把汤搅拌一下以防它起泡
Stir the soup before it foams up.
为啥我们家的汤总不起泡?
How come ours never gets anything on it?
来吧,来吧靠近点
Come on. Come on. Closer.
马上
Now.
– 你看见有人在那样尖叫了? – 我看到的是一个成年雄
– You got somebody doing that yelling? – What l have here is an adult male…
…挺漂亮的…
…quite pretty…
…也许从公园飞了过来
…probably strayed from the park.
一只康州鸣鸟
A Connecticut Warbler.
你去过外面干这些吗?
You ever go outside to do any of this?
你应该回到汤的问题
You should have stayed with the soup question.
问题的目的就是取得对我们有意义…
The object of a question is to obtain information that matters to us…
…而非对其他人有意义的信息
…and to no one else.
你刚才问为什么你的汤不起泡?
You were wondering why your soup doesn’t foam up?
也许因为你母亲小时候的家里…
Probably because your mother was brought up in a house…
…从未想到过把牛奶浪费在汤里
…that never thought about wasting milk in soup.
那才是好的问题
Now that question was a good one.
相比“你出去过吗?”
ln contrast to, “Do l ever go outside?”
这问题达不到获得对你而言…
Which fails to meet the basic criteria…
…有意义的信息的基本标准
…of obtaining information that matters to you.
好吧
All right, man.
我想我没有汤的问题了
Guess l don’t have any more soup questions.
没有?
No?
你为什么说我是黑人那些话?
Why did you say that stuff about me being black?
这跟我是黑人没有关系
lt had nothing to do with you being black.
这跟我找出你能忍♥受多少废话有关系
lt had to do with me finding out just how much bullshit you’d put up with.
你知道我会回来
You knew l’d come back.
没错,就像我知道你会去新的学校
Yes, just like l know you’ll go to this new school.
你怎么知道?
How you know that?
因为在你的文章中有个问题…
Because there’s a question in your writing…
…暗示你对自己的将来的想法
…suggesting what is it you wish to do with your life.
而这是你现在的学校所不能回答的
And that is a question your present school cannot answer for you.
我们配对吧,沃勒斯,你对哈维
Let’s match up. Wallace, you take Hartwell.
嗨,伙计!我是贾默
What’s up, man? l’m Jamal.
看球就行了,好吗?
Just check it, all right?
– 看看那球 – 来吧,大家
– Check the ball. – Let’s go, guys.
来吧
Come on now.
球入场了
Ball’s in.
来吧!
Come on!
– 防着丹森!跟上他! – 走吧
– Cover Danson! Get on him! – Let’s go.
留意他,留意他
Play him tough, play him tough.
这里,强尼,篮底!
Here, Johnny, inside!
继续,继续,大家
Way to go. Way to go, gang.
走吧,D上前
Let’s go, D up.
– 来吧,垃圾 – 来吧
– Let’s go, garbage. – Come on.
– 来吧 – 上来,上来
– Come on. – Step up. Step up.
抬头
Head’s up.
省省你的废话吧,好吗?
Leave the trash-talking back home, all right?
什么?
What?
别傻乎乎的样子
Get that goofy look off your face.
– 我会让你做我孙子 – 好啊
– l’m gonna make you my son. – Right.
– 你会做我孙子 – 来吧
– You gonna be my son. – Come on.
走吧
Let’s go.
– 来吧,伙计 – 什么?
– Come on, man. – What?
– 你个子太小了 – 什么?
– You’re too small. – What?
干的不错
Nice handle.
哈维,加点防守会很好
Hartwell, a little defense would be real nice.
教练说得对,防守,来吧
Coach is right. A little defense. Let’s go.
– 你想玩过界 – 什么?
– Try and get it past the line. – What?
我说你想玩过界
l said, get it past the line.
这样吃得消吗?压力
ls this too much? Pressure.
太多
Too much.
我需要帮忙!
l need some help!
十秒,走吧,另外一边
Ten seconds. Let’s go, the other way.
我在取代你吗?
l’m taking your spot?
– 说啥? – 你的位置
– Taking what? – Your spot.
没说啥,来吧
Taking nothing. Come on.
我的场地,伙计,我的场
My court, man. My court.
我们这儿就这样打球
That’s how we play down here.
没错
That’s right.
哈维是个有钱的孩子…
Hartwell’s just a rich kid…
…他想获得跟以前一样的注意
…who wants as much of the spotlight as he can get his senior year.
就是如此
That’s all it is.
在这儿他们在对一切都很严肃
They take things real serious around here.
这是个严肃的地方
Well, it’s a serious place.
严肃到我要在这儿边看书别吃午饭
Serious enough l usually end up here, getting lunch on my books.
你在看什么?
What are you working on?
福斯特的书
Forrester’s book.
你不是读过了吗
l thought you read it.
对啊,看这儿
l know, but look at this.
我爸给我的
My dad got it for me.
是早期的版本
lt’s an early printing.
听着,我得走了
Listen, l gotta go.
但你才刚来
But you just got here.
没错,但是…
l know, but…
…我落了东西
…l forgot something.
我得去查点东西
l gotta check up on something.
待会见吧
l’ll see you later.
威廉·福斯特
生于一九三〇年
“Born 1 930.
于苏格兰
ln Scotland.”
青少年后期,随家人移居纽约
“Moved to New York with his family in his late teens.
福斯特先生没空回复
Mr. Forrester was unavailable for comment.”
他那样肯定没空
Yeah, l bet he was.
这样的到访会成为习惯吗?
Are we now planning to make these visits a habit?
– 你说你知道我会回来 – 对,但我以为你是指一次
– You said you knew l’d be coming back. – Yes, but l thought you meant once.
我需要些帮助关于我在学校的东西
l need some help with this thing at school.
啊,学校的东西
Ah, yes, this thing at school.
我们谈的“东西”是什么?
And what “thing” are we talking about now?
[作者:威廉·福斯特]
你读过这书吗?
You ever read that?
我在试读
l’m trying, man.
但我好像读不懂前十页
l just can’t seem to get past the first 1 0 pages.
据我的记忆…
As l recall…
…我也用了好久才搞懂那几页
…l took a while to get past those pages myself.

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!