看来我们猜对了
Well, it turns out we were right.
布德利先生
Mr. Bradley.
贾默,沃勒斯太太,我是大卫·布德利
Jamal, Mrs. Wallace, my name’s David Bradley.
我来自曼哈顿的梅勒学校
l’m with the Mailor School in Manhattan.
– 梅勒?梅勒-卡洛吗? – 没错,你听说过我们?
– Mailor? Mailor-Callow? – That’s right. You familiar with us?
是的
Yeah.
贾默,梅勒-卡洛不仅是市内最好的预科学校
Jamal, Mailor-Callow is not only the best prep school in the city…
…而且是东岸最好的学校之一
…it’s one of the finest private schools in the East.
只有精英才可以去
Only the best go there.
你也许知道我们还有几周就开心了…
You may know we’re a few weeks into our fall term…
…但每年我们都在评估成绩出来前
…but every year we hold some openings…
…预留一些学位
…while we wait for test scores to come in.
贾默,你的评估成绩…
Jamal, your test scores…
…保守地说,引起了我们的注意
…to put it mildly, caught our attention.
我是来看你是否感兴趣进入我们学校
l’m here to see if you’d be interested in attending our school.
贾默,去另外一间学校…
Jamal, we know leaving for another school…
…特别是私立学校是不轻松的
…especially a private school, is not gonna be easy.
但这儿不再是适合你的地方
But this isn’t the right place for you anymore.
贾默,这不是困难的选择
Jamal, it’s not a difficult choice.
布德利先生…
Mr. Bradley…
…我们不可能付得起学费
…there’s no way that we could pay for this.
我们不会让你们付学费的
We’re not asking you to.
当西门博士说“只有精英才能去梅勒”…
When Dr. Simon said, “Only the best go to Mailor”…
…他忘了提及…
…he neglected to mention…
…我们的精英不只在课堂内
…that our excellence extends beyond the classroom.
我想也是如此
l figured that.
我们也认为你会这样想的
We thought you might.
沃勒斯太太,我们有约四十名学生去了打大学篮球赛
Mrs. Wallace, about 40 of our students have gone on to play college ball.
三人打到了职业赛
Three have made it to the professional level.
我们评估了你去年的球赛表
We evaluated your play last year.
虽然这是一个学术的提议…
While this is strictly an academic offer…
…但如果你选择打球,我们也不会失望
…we won’t be disappointed if you choose to play.
我们只想你抽时间去我校看看,考虑一下
All we ask is you come out for a few days, take a look, think it over.
– 好的 – 沃勒斯太太
– Okay. – Mrs. Wallace.
– 谢谢你 – 贾默
– Thank you. – Jamal.
再见
Goodbye.
我们保持联♥系♥
We’ll be in touch.
– 这次我没敲门了 – 你跟谁说话呢?
– l didn’t knock this time, man. – To whom were you speaking?
我拿到我的文章就告诉你
l’ll tell you that when l get my 5000 words back.
关上门…
Bolt the door…
…如果你要进来
…if you’re coming in.
那个开车来的人?
The man in the car?
他来自一间私立学校
He was from this private school.
他们想让我去
They want me to go there.
我们还不用交学费
We don’t have to pay anything, though.
我们住在这附近,我跟我妈
We live a couple blocks from here, me and my mom.
我哥哥几年前也住那儿…
Well, my brother was there a couple of years ago…
…但我爸走后他也走了
…but he left after my dad left.
我妈不想再等我爸改过自新
My mom got tired of waiting for my dad to get himself clean.
而我爸不想再尝试
And my dad got tired of trying.
我就在那时开始写作
But that’s when l started writing.
你叫什么名字?
What’s your name?
贾默·沃勒斯
Jamal Wallace.
听起来像果酱的名字
Sounds like some kind of marmalade.
你多大了?
How old are you?
十六岁
l’m 1 6.
十六岁!
Sixteen!
而且你是黑人!
And you’re black!
– 太难得了 – 难得?什么难得?
– lt’s remarkable. – Remarkable? What?
就因为我是黑人而难得吗?
lt’s remarkable that l’m black?
这跟我是黑人有啥关系?
What does me being black got to do with anything, man?
你现在不知所措,是吗?
You don’t know what to do right now, do you?
如果你说出真正想说的话…
lf you say what you really want to say…
…我也许就不再读这些东西了
…l might not read any more of this.
但如果你让我跟你说这些种族主义的废话…
But if you let me run you down with this racist bullshit…
…那你又成什么了?
…what does that make you?
我不玩这游戏了
l’m not playing this game, man.
哦,我说你已经在玩了
Oh, l say you are playing it.
一个表情就表达了千言万语
An expression is worth a thousand words.
但也许现在的你只表达了两
But perhaps in your case just two.
拿着
Here.
真是个混♥蛋♥
What an asshole.
一手施予,一手给予,我们一起用餐的同时…
One hand to give, one hand to receive. As we eat together in unity…
…愿我们的心灵、肉体和精神更强壮…
…may our minds, bodies and spirits grow strong…
…并恭喜贾默
…and congratulations to Jamal.
阿门
Amen.
– 阿门 – 阿门
– Amen. – Amen.
这个你看了吗?
Did you see this?
– 让我看看 – 别弄乱了
– Let me see. – Don’t mess it up.
等等
Wait a minute.
从封面看来,这是间奇怪的学校
From the cover this look like the funny-man school to me.
泰若,吃你的饭
Terrell, eat your food.
你会没事的,兄弟,因为妈妈生的都是战士
You’ll be fine, big bro, because Mommy don’t make nothing but soldiers.
你本来也可以这样
You could have done the same thing.
我在停车场工作,而我不是普通的服务员
l work at a parking lot. And l ain’t no regular parking attendant.
我是所有服务员的监督
l am the supervisor of all the parking attendants.
你每周的收入都不稳定
You don’t know how much you’ll make from week to week.
一周也许是五十,另一周也许是一百
One week it’s $50, one week it’s $1 00.
– 那不是像样的工作 – 别说他了
– That’s not a real job. – Leave him alone.
妈,我能说唱,我能赚钱,你知道我的说唱事业不错
Ma, look, l rap, l get busy. You know l got my rap thing going.
别提说唱了,吃你的饭
Don’t bring up the rap. Eat your food.
– 你不想听我的歌♥? – 专心吃
– You don’t want to hear my songs? – Eat.
我现在就给你来一段
l’ll sing it for you now.
我一出场就全场轰动
When l come due And l blow the spot
你儿子是车场的监工
Your son is supervisor Of the parking lot
告诉她,贾默,我的歌♥很棒,不是吗?
Tell her, Jamal. My choice is hot, right?
你是贾默·沃勒斯?
Jamal Wallace?
你好,我是克莉·斯奔丝
Hi, l’m Claire Spence.
布德利叫我带你参观
Bradley asked me to show you around.
好的
All right.
来吧
Come on.
别怕被问问题什么的
Don’t worry about answering any questions or anything.
你自己决定好了就行
Not till you decide what you’re gonna do.
另外,这里的老师…
Besides, the teachers here…
…都不太感冒学生的参与
…aren’t all that into student participation.
他们忙于听自己说
They’re busy listening to themselves talk.
– 这是什么意思? – 你很快会明白
– What do you mean? – You’ll see.
今天早上我们开始本学期第三次必读课…
This morning we started the third compulsory course of this semester…
…研究一本书…
…the study of a novel that offers everything…
…其作者赋予了最丰富的内涵
…and an author who could have offered much more.
他是罗勃·克福
That’s Robert Crawford.
在这儿的时间几乎跟这里的建筑一样长
Been here as long as most of the buildings.
一九五三年,威廉·福斯特二十三岁
When William Forrester was 23, in 1 953…
…他开始写他的第一本书
…he set out to write his first book.
很多有抱负的作家常说,要写二十世纪的伟大小说…
Many aspiring authors talk about writing the great 20th-century novel…
…威廉·福斯特做到了
…well, William Forrester did it.
是他的处♥女♥作
On his first try.
你读过吗?
Have you read this?
读过,你呢?
Yeah, you?
只是十几次而已
Only about a dozen times.
这是他唯一的发行
This was the only one he chose to publish.
据我们所知这也是他唯一的小说
For all we know it was the only one he chose to write.
你们的下周的任务…
Your job over the next week…
你们的下周的任务就是读它和给我分♥析♥它
Your job over the next week is to read it and tell me why.
那么…
So…
…你明天会再来吗?
…you gonna be back tomorrow?
会,他们让我去球场看看
Yeah, they want me to spend some time on the court.
对,我听说了
Yeah, l heard.
去年球队的毕业率不太好
Graduation was a little rough on last year’s team, that’s all.
但这就像大学的情形,对吗?
But it’s just like college, right?

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!