The rich tradition of handing in competition entries…
…才交作品的传统…
…on the final day continues…
…今年又被广泛使用
…for yet another year.
《信念的完美季节》
贾默·沃勒斯
女士们先生们…
Ladies and gentlemen…
…请听我说…
…may l have your attention…
…请,如果你们不介意
…please, if you don’t mind.
从前罪恶可以枯萎或悲伤消逝
“Ere sin could blight or sorrow fade
死亡随友好关心而至
Death came with friendly care
通往天堂之路萌芽了
The opening bud to heaven convey’d…”
你终于加入我们了
How nice of you to join us.
这句不是诗里的
That’s not part of the poem.
“让它在此开花”有人知道吗?
“And bade it blossom there.” Anyone?
比平时多了点清晨的沉默寡言
A little more early morning reticence than usual.
科瑞先生
Mr. Coleridge.
请你回答
Please.
科瑞先生…
Mr. Coleridge…
…我们今天这儿有多少,先生?
…how many students would you say we have here today?
我不肯定
l’m not sure.
也许你能给我们个猜测
Perhaps you could humor us with a guess.
– 三十? – 三十人
– Thirty? – Thirty.
在三十人里,没有一个知道这段的作者是谁
And of that 30, there isn’t one person who knows the author of that passage.
我觉得不可思议,你呢,科瑞先生?
l find that remarkable. Don’t you, Mr. Coleridge?
也许我们还是回到刚才
Perhaps we should back into this.
看着这段,我们可以下任何结论吗?
ln looking at this, what, if any, conclusions might we be able to draw?
你指作者吗?
You mean about the author?
任何都可以
About anything.
有任何词让你觉得罕见吗?
Do any of the words strike you as unusual?
请把现在看作是你回答的时刻
Feel free to view this as the appropriate time for a response.
“从前”
“Ere.”
“从前”它为什么罕见?
“Ere.” And why is that unusual?
因为…
Because…
…听起来很老
…it sounds old.
它的确听起来很老,对吗?
lt does sound old, doesn’t it?
你知道它为什么听起来老吗,科瑞先生?
And you know why it sounds old, Mr. Coleridge?
因为它是个老词,有两百多年的历史了
Because it is old. More than 200 years old.
在你父亲,祖父出生前就有
Written before your father was born, before your father’s father was born.
但这仍不能作为你不知它是谁写的…
But that still does not excuse the fact…
…托辞,是吗,科瑞先生?
…that you don’t know who wrote it, now does it, Mr. Coleridge?
抱歉,老师,我不…
l’m sorry, sir, l don’t…
你是这儿最应该知道作者的人
You, of all people in this room, should know who wrote that passage.
你知道为什么吗?
And do you know why, Mr. Coleridge?
我再问一次,你知道为什么吗?
l repeat, do you know why?
就说你的名字,伙计
Just say your name, man.
你有话要跟大家分享吗,沃勒斯先生?
Did you have something to contribute, Mr. Wallace?
我只是说他应该说他的名字
l just said that he should say his name.
为什么科瑞先生应该说自己的名字?
And why would it be helpful for Mr. Coleridge to say his name?
因为是他写的
Because that’s who wrote it.
非常好,沃勒斯先生
Very good, Mr. Wallace.
也许你的能力…
Perhaps your skills…
…可以伸展到比篮球更远的地方
…do extend a bit farther than basketball.
我们翻到…你可以坐下了,科瑞先生
lf we can turn to page… You may be seated, Mr. Coleridge.
翻到一百二十页在蓝色的小书
Turn to page 1 20 in the little blue book that…
更进一步
Further.
抱歉?
l’m sorry?
不要
Don’t.
你说我的能力伸展得比篮球场“更远”
You said my skills extend “farther” than the basketball court.
“更远”是指距离,“更进一步”是指程度
“Farther” relates to distance. “Further” is a definition of degree.
– 你应该说“更进一步” – 你在挑战我吗,沃勒斯先生?
– You should have said “further.” – Are you challenging me, Mr. Wallace?
跟你挑战科瑞差不多
No more than you challenged Coleridge.
也许这挑战应在别处发生
Perhaps the challenge should have been directed elsewhere.
“这是忧伤的事实即使…”
“lt is a melancholy truth that even…”
“…伟人也有糟糕的感情”
“…great men have poor relations.”
狄更斯
Dickens.
“你会听见跳动的…”
“You will hear the beat of…”
吉,卜林
Kipling.
-“所有的真理是开始于…” – 肖
– “All great truths begin…” – Shaw.
-“人类是动物中唯一…” – …会脸红…
– “Man is the only animal…” – “…that blushes…
“或需要脸红的”
“…or needs to.”
这是马克·吐温写的,少来了,克福教授…
lt’s Mark Twain. Come on, Professor Crawford…
出去!
Get out!
出去
Get out.
好,我出去
Yeah. l’ll get out.
– 你别管了 – 等等,求你
– Leave it alone. – Hold on, please.
在这儿你知道多一些,他们就赶你出去吗?
So they kick you out if you know something here?
你不会知道克福会干嘛
You don’t know what Crawford will do.
这你说对了
You’re right about that.
贾默!
Jamal!
– 你认为你要道歉吗? – 不
– Do you think you should apologize? – No.
– 你呢? – 不
– Do you? – No.
你做得对,在他的游戏里赢了他
You did nothing wrong. Just beat him at his own game.
但是…
But…
…现在该小心点了
…it would be a good time to be careful.
小心?小心什么?
Careful? Careful about what?
你的天赋会让你作出惊人的成就
You have a gift that will allow you to do remarkable things with your life.
那就是说你现在不要因为孩子气…
That is, if you don’t screw it up…
而把它弄糟了
…by being a 1 6-year-old right now.
– 贾默 – 是
– Jamal. – Yeah.
– 办公室叫你 – 好的
– You got a call from the office. – All right.
沃勒斯先生,请坐
Mr. Wallace. Please.
你知道,马休斯教授是校董会成员
As you know, Professor Matthews is on the faculty board.
斯奔丝博士是基金会的董事
And Dr. Spence is chair of the trustees board.
我们查阅了你的参赛作品
We’ve been reviewing the writing competition submissions.
我们希望你解释一些关于它的问题
We were hoping you might clarify some points concerning your submission.
“信念的完美季节”
“A Season of Faith’s Perfection.”
你的文章,对吗?
Your piece, correct?
对,就是它
Yeah, that’s it.
沃勒斯先生,我们的基本政策是问学生…
Mr. Wallace, it is standard policy with us to ask students…
…上交文章时他们是否想注明…
…if they wish to credit any source material…
…任何参考的来源或点明其他的作者
…or acknowledge any other writers when turning in an assignment.
你想这样做吗?
Do you wish to do that?
一九六〇年
1 960.
一篇叫《垒球的黄金之年》的文章…
An essay titled “Baseball’s Best Year”…
…副标题是“信念的完美季节”
…with a subtitle that reads “A Season of Faith’s Perfection.”
发表在《纽约客》杂♥志♥作者是…
Published in The New Yorker and written by…
…威廉·福斯特
…one William Forrester.
你的版本其实比较原创…
Your version is actually quite original…
…除了标题和第一段以外
…but there is the title and first paragraph to consider.
不是吗?
lsn’t there?
贾默,要不你碰巧有…
Jamal, either you happen to have…
…威廉·福斯特的批准,要不…
…the permission of William Forrester, or….
你有其他解释吗?
Have you some other explanation?
没有
No.
那是我写的
That’s my paper.
但是,现在你的参赛资格已被取消…
Well, then, your entry is now withdrawn…
…这已是校董会要考虑的问题
…and it becomes a matter for the board to consider.
校董会有权让你接受学术察看…
The board does have the authority to place you on academic probation…
…这,包括其他的,会让你不能打篮球
…which would, among other things, prevent you from playing basketball.
既然校董会下周才开会…
Since the board doesn’t meet till next week…
…你可以参加本周末的州际杯
…you can play in this weekend’s state championship.
但我得提醒你,校董会一贯…
But l have to warn you, the board has a history of taking these matters…
…处事非常严格
…quite seriously.
因此我们想提议一个…
So we would like to suggest what we feel…
…我们认为能解决问题的方案
…is a solution that may satisfy these concerns.
罗勃
Robert.
最重要的是保证这类事不再发生
What matters most is to ensure this type of violation isn’t repeated.
因此…
So…
…你要写一封道歉信…
…you will write an apology to the students you took advantage of…
…澄清这次的事件
…by submitting this piece.
– 你要在我的课堂上读出来 – 我不会读任何东西
– You’ll read it in front of my class. – l’m not reading anything.
我相信校董会会在判定你的奖学金时考虑这点

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!