我能应付来的
I’ll handle it.
全体起立
All rise.
有请主审法官u3000西德尼费尼斯丁
The honorable Sidney Finestein presiding.
请坐
Be seated.
各位陪审团 按法律 你们必须可以看到证人席
Members of the jury, by law, you have to be able to see the witness box.
-你们能看到证人席吗 -是的 法官阁下
-Can you all see the witness box? -Yes, Your Honor.
被告 辩护律师…
Defendants, defense attorneys…
请你们把座位移一下 以便清楚的看到证人席
you may have to shift in your seats a little to see the witnesses.
抱歉 我们能做的只有这样了
Sorry, it’s the best we can do.
我们从没有过这么多的被告
We’ve never had so many defendants before.
控方律师
Counselor.
女士们 先生们
Ladies and gentlemen.
“新泽西是我们的”
“We own New Jersey!”
这是一个暴徒家族的夸口
This is the boast of a mob family…
他们犯下了无数的罪行
that controlled an endless list of criminal activities.
conspiracy 这个词在拉丁语里
The term “conspiracy” in Latin…
代表同生共死
means to breathe together.
而这些被告在犯罪生涯里同生共死
And these defendants breathed a life of crime together.
据我们掌握的证据表明 卡罗 马斯卡鹏
Our evidence will show that Carlo Mascarpone…
是鲁切斯犯罪集团在新泽西的二把手
was the underboss of the New Jersey faction of the Lucchese crime family.
鲁切斯 全国五大家族之一
The Luccheses, one of the Five Families…
这帮人要多凶残险恶就有多凶残险恶
as vicious and dangerous a crew as any in the nation.
吉诺 马斯卡鹏 吉诺经营日常的赌博
Gino Mascarpone. Gino ran the day-to-day gambling…
为他的老板 尼克 卡拉布雷斯
loan-sharking and extortion activities
放高♥利♥贷♥ 搞勒索
for his boss, Nick Calabrese.
丹尼罗姆 团伙的弟兄 犯罪实施者
Danny Roma, family soldier and enforcer.
亚历山德罗 特德斯基 放高♥利♥贷♥ 赌博
Alessandro Tedeschi, loan-sharking and gambling.
缇诺 伯洛基欧 抗♥议♥无罪 赌博
Tino Bellochio, numbers and gambling.
杰基 狄诺西欧 分发”可♥卡♥因♥”
Jackie DiNorscio, cocaine distribution.|
我们会把其他的人拽到证人席上
You’ll get to know the rest as we drag
到时候你们就会认识他们了
them up to the witness box.
骗子 反♥社♥会♥极端份子 杀人犯
Liars, sociopaths, murderers.
-他以为他是爱略特尼斯啊 -他很厉害
-This guy thinks he’s Eliot Ness. -He’s good.
最后 你将听到托尼·堪帕格那
Finally, you will hear from Tony Compagna…
杰基 狄诺西斯的亲表弟
Jackie DiNorscio’s own cousin.
正是堪帕格那先生 开始了这一次的调查
It was Mr. Compagna that started the ball rolling in this investigation.
一个害怕命丧黄泉的人
A man, who fearing for his life…
同意合作 说出他所知道的
agreed to cooperate and tell all he knew
这个犯罪团伙的内♥幕♥
about the inner workings of this mob…
这群吸血鬼
this group of leeches that suck money…
从每一个不管合法的企业还是不合法的企业里
out of every enterprise, legitimate
吸取血汗钱
or illegitimate…
由此来维系他们奢侈的生活
to support their extravagant lifestyles.
现在 我们将请求你们
Now, we will be asking you…
来查验这些数量惊人的证据
to examine an awesome amount of evidence.
为此我感到非常抱歉
And I am sorry about that.
但是这些罪行
But the severity of these crimes…
给这个社会的人♥民♥造成的损害的严重性…
against the people of this community…
事实上 是给整个美国…
in fact, all America…
使得你们责无旁贷
make it necessary for you to do just that.
谢谢各位
Thank you.
我们现在将听到的是辩护律师的开庭陈述
We will now hear opening statements from defense counsels.
丘拉诺先生 代表 呃
Mr. Cellano represents, uh,
被告 多弥尼克 克拉斯比
defendant Dominic Crespi.
政♥府♥的录音带 你们会认为…
the government’s tapes, you will conclude…
我的当事人根本无罪
that my client is not guilty of anything more than-
穿好衣服u3000带红宝石钻戒
Since when is it a crime to wear fancy clothes…
开卡迪拉克什么时候成了犯罪了
and an expensive diamond pinky ring and drive a Cadillac?
如果你把所有在体育比赛中下过赌注的人
If you arrested everyone who ever made a friendly wager
全抓起来的话…
on a sporting event…
这个法庭里得有一半人都得被关起来
you’d have to lock up half of the people in this courtroom.
-就快到你了 准备好了没 -这一切
-You’re up soon. You ready? -And all of this
在40年的驾驶里
in 40 years of driving.
我♥草♥稿都没打
I got nothing written down.
那么 到时候你怎么说啊
Well, what are you gonna say then?
妈的我怎么知道 整个案件就是一个闹剧 不是吗
How the fuck do I know? This whole case is a joke, right?
克兰狄斯先生现在代表被告 卡罗 马斯卡鹏
Mr. Klandis is representing defendant Carlo Mascarpone.
女士们 先生们 你们正对面的
Right in front of you, ladies and gentlemen…
这个拉丁文格言 意思如下
is this Latin motto, whose translation is:
“天塌下来 也要讨还公道”
“Let justice be done, though the heavens may fall.”
卡罗马斯卡鹏的命运就在我手上
I have the fate of Carlo Mascarpone in my hands.
他现在就坐在他兄弟吉诺的旁边
There he is sitting near his brother Gino.
他们没有加入鲁切斯家族 因为他们自己已经有了一个了
They didn’t join the Lucchese family, because they already had one…
这个集团由马斯卡鹏夫妇创建
the family created by Mr. And Mrs. Mascarpone.
它被称之为”生物学”
It’s called biology.
你们可能听过很多 关于我的当事人的声名显赫的生活
You’ll hear a lot about my client’s flamboyant lifestyle.
他的妻子 罗丝兰 坐在法庭上
His wife, Rosalynd, sits in this courtroom…
结婚十七年 有四个孩子
married 17 years, four children.
这是在过日子
That’s a lifestyle.
他去圣露西教堂做礼拜 他妻子在基♥督♥教教义社团教书
He goes to St. Lucy’s church. His wife teaches C.C.D.
这是在过日子
That’s a lifestyle.
这些被告很多人都是亲戚 有些是朋友 邻居
Many of these defendants are related, some are friends or neighbors…
从小时候一起打棒球的时代 就认识了
that have known each other since playing Little League baseball together.
这是在过日子
That’s a lifestyle.
他们是一个家族
They are a family.
不是政♥府♥们所说的家族
Not the kind of family the government talks about.
他们把它扭曲了 使它成了罪恶
They would twist it. They would make it evil.
但是女士们 先生们 我们所要求的
But all we’re asking for, ladies and gentlemen…
就是”天塌下来 也要讨还公道”啊
is to let justice be done, though the heavens may fall.
谢谢
Thank you.
好的 让我们看看下一位是谁
Okay. Let’s see who’s next.
狄诺西尔先生 狄诺西尔先生
Mr. DiNorscio. Mr. DiNorscio.
你的律师不在这里吗
Isn’t your attorney here?
嗯 法官阁下 我想我 我这样更好
Well, Your Honor, I think I’m…I’m better off
再说一次
Say that again.
啊我 我想自行代理 我打算自己做自己的律师
Uh, I…I wanna go pro se. I’m gonna be my own lawyer.
你懂自行代理的意思吗
Do you know what “pro se” means?
-差不多明白 -什么叫”差不多明白”
-Sort of. -What do you mean, “sort of”?
呃 如果某人为自己辩护
Uh, if you defend yourself,
就称为自行代理 我要为自己辩护
it’s called “pro se.” I’m gonna defend myself.
狄诺西尔先生 鉴于本案的严重性
Mr. DiNorscio, in a case of this magnitude,
我想这不是明智之举
I don’t think it’s advisable.
根据第六修正案 我可以
My Sixth Amendment right.
我的意思是 我有权利保护自己 对吗 法官
I mean, I got the right to defend myself. Am I correct, Judge?
对 对 没错 你有过法律这方面的经验吗
Yes. Yeah, you’re correct. Have you had any legal experience?
啊 这个 差不多是
Uh, well, sort of.
什么叫 “差不多是”
What do you mean, “sort of”?
我这辈子有一半的时间呆在监狱
I’ve been in prison half my life.
有时候我觉得我的法律经验也太多了点
Sometimes I think I had too much legal experience.
狄诺西尔先生 你有没有听说这么句话
Mr. DiNorscio, have you heard the saying…
为自己辩护的人的当事人是傻蛋
that a man who represents himself has a fool for a client?
现在知道了 真的吗 法官
Now I have. Is it true, Judge?
有时候是这样
Sometimes it is.
所以有时候也不是 对吗
So that means sometimes it ain’t, right?
好吧
Okay.
-谢谢你 法官 -但是我认为这不是明智之举
-Thank you, Judge. -But I don’t think it’s advisable.
随便你吧 啊 狄诺西尔先生 从你开始吧
It’s up to you. Uh, Mr. DiNorscio, you’re on.
嗨 我是杰基 狄诺西尔
Hi, I’m Jackie DiNorscio.
啊 在这次案件中我为自己辩护
Uh, I’m defending myself in this case.
你们得原谅我一下 我有一点紧张
You’ll have to excuse me, I’m a little nervous.
你们看 我不是律师
You see, I’m no lawyer.
我只受过六年级的教育
I only have a sixth-grade education.
并且 在法律这方面我不像其它一些人
And, uh, I’m not sophisticated in the law like some of
那么老练
these other persons here.
但是我所说的都是心里话
But what I tell you will come from the heart.
四个月前…
Four months ago…
我们就开始为这次审讯挑选陪审团成员
we started to pick jurors for this trial.
我想说现在…
And I wanna say right now…
我对陪审团的人都很满意
that I’m satisfied with everybody on the jury.
我还要感谢克兰狄斯…
And I wanna thank Mr. Klandis…