你想给凯蒂那种环境?
I’ll figure something out.
我会想办法
Well, like what? There’s public and there’s private.
像是什么?
Those are the options.
只有公立和私立的选择
你没事吧?
You all right?
I mean that…
你懂让小孩进入
You know how difficult it is to get a kid into a good private school in New York?
纽约优良的私立学校有多难
申请的都是有钱人
Everybody’s rich that applies, and they’re connected and underhanded.
他们有人脉会走后门
我会想办法
I’ll figure something out. Let me buy you a drink.
我请你喝这杯 我们不会…
– You’ll not… – Jake.
杰克?
You’ll not be raising my daughter by committing.
我不需要别人告诉我怎么养女儿
(SIRENS WAILING IN A DISTANCE)
(HORNS HONKING IN A DISTANCE)
“杰克戴维斯 《父与女》”
喜欢我的脚踏车吗?
You like my bike?
我小时候有一台粉红色的脚踏车
I used to have a pink bike when I was a little girl.
你会骑吗?
Do you know how to ride?
你会骑脚踏车吗?
Do you know how to ride a bike?
你朋友有脚踏车吗?
Do any of your friends have bikes?
如果你想要
If you want, one day I can take you out and teach you how to ride.
改天我能带你出去 教你骑车
我们能找一天去公园
We could go out to the park one of these days.
会很好玩的
It could be fun.
露西情况怎样? 她说话了吗?
So how’s it going with Lucy? Is she talking?
这是个过程
It’s a process.
所以她没说话
So she’s not talking.
听着
Look, I’m going to transfer the case to Dr. Weinberg,
我要把这案子转给温柏医生
她是经验丰富的心理学家
she’s a very experienced psychologist.
我只需要多点时间
I just need more time.
我需要60天报告里有成果
And I need something to put into her sixty-day report.
听着 这不是要讨好恰好在…
Look, this isn’t about trying to impress the state agency
财政紧缩时要资助我们的州政♥府♥
that just so happens to fund us at a time of severe cutbacks.
而是要帮助这个小女孩
It’s about helping this little girl…
她遭受严重创伤不再说话了
who’s suffered such severe trauma she can’t even speak anymore,
假使我们无法跟她沟通
and will live an unbearably bleak life if we don’t connect with her, and soon.
她会过着凄惨难耐的生活
快了
Now we’ve failed her, and we have to fix it.
我们辅♥导♥失败
必须另寻管道
We’ve not failed her.
我们没有失败
Katie, you’re a very bright young woman.
凯蒂 你是很机灵的年轻女孩
总有一天你会成为杰出的心理学家
You’re gonna be an exceptional psychologist someday.
但你要懂得适时承认失败
But you need to know when to admit defeat, and move on.
再继续前进
Let me take her to the park, okay?
让我带她去公园 好吗?
我想不同的环境…
– I think a different environment should just… – There’s no environment, as therapist.
问题不是环境 是治疗师
我不能让你带她外出
You know we can’t let you take her off grounds. But you got your week.
但你有一周时间
谢了
Thanks.
凯蒂 只有一周
Katie? A week is a week!
好
Yep.
– (DOOR CLOSES) – (INDISTINCT CHATTERING)
杰克 嗨
– Jake! Hi. – Hey.
嗨
Ah, it is so good to see you again.
很高兴又见到你
– Pleased to meet you again. – Yeah, of course, of course.
谢谢跟我见面
别客气 到我的办公室吧
Why don’t you come on back?
我只想重申
I just wanna tell you again how sorry we all are about Patricia.
我们很遗憾派翠西亚的事
That was a… It was just a big loss for our whole community.
那是我们全社区的重大损失
谢谢
– Thank you. – Yeah.
凯蒂还好吗?
How’s Katie doing?
她很好
– She’s fine. – Yeah?
是吗?
When she left Copen, she moved in with her aunt and uncle?
她离开柯本时搬去阿姨和姨丈家?
对 但现在她回来跟我住
– Yeah. – Yeah?
– But she’s back with me now. – Oh, good, good.
对 但现在她回来跟我住
– Yeah. – Yeah?
很好 很好
And, uh… I would really like her to come back to Copen.
– But she’s back with me now. – Oh, good, good.
很好 很好
And, uh… I would really like her to come back to Copen.
我很想让她回来柯本
学年过一半了
Well, it’s the middle of the year, you know.
你真的觉得她离开沃辛顿是上策?
Do you really think pulling her out of Worthington is the best thing right now?
我已经办休学了
I already did.
Oh! Uh… Gosh!
我已经办休学了
I already did.
Oh! Uh… Gosh!
是喔 老天
Look, Jake you know we would really love to have Katie back with us,
Oh! Uh… Gosh!
是喔 老天
Look, Jake you know we would really love to have Katie back with us,
杰克 我们很乐意凯蒂回来
但我们名额全满了
but… we’re completely full.
永远能多一个名额
Always room for one more.
(SIGHS) Ah, it’s just, um…
永远能多一个名额
Always room for one more.
(SIGHS) Ah, it’s just, um…
我不行 很抱歉
I’m sorry.
(SIGHS) Ah, it’s just, um…
我不行 很抱歉
I’m sorry.
那教职员呢?
What about faculty?
他们怎样?
– What about them? – The faculty get priority for admission.
教职员能优先入学
Ah, yes and free to…
对 而且免学费
I will teach creative writing for seniors.
我会教高年级生创意写作
我们没有预算
Ah, okay. Well, I don’t think we’re budgeted for something like that.
一学期只收1元?
For a dollar a semester.
杰克 我很感谢 真的
Jake, I appreciate it, I really do.
短篇故事的技巧
Um, the craft of short story?
专注在学生作品
We’ll focus on student work, study of the masters,
向大♥师♥学习
马克吐温 海明威 罗斯
Twain, Hemingway, Roth and…
也许还有我目前的创作
maybe a piece I’m currently working on.
好 你真的想教高中部创意写作?
Okay, you really wanna teach creative writing to 12th graders?
我真的想要我女儿读柯本
I really want my daughter to go to Copen.
你会为学生写推荐信申请大学?
And you’d write recommendations for the college applications?
只要是展现天赋的学生
If any student shows, then talent them.
天赋会从宽定义
Talent being generously defined.
凯蒂能下周入学
Katie can start next week.
你能下学期开始教?
Can you start next semester?
我当然能
I can indeed.
谢谢
Thank you.
知道我一天最爱的时段是什么?
Do you know what my favorite part of the day is?
哪时?
– What? – This part, taking you to school.
这时候 带你去上学
(CLASSICAL MUSIC PLAYING)
(TELEPHONE RINGING)
我在工作
I’m working.
喂?
Hello?
嗨 杰克 我是伊莉莎白
ELIZABETH: (ON PHONE) Hi, Jake, it’s Elizabeth calling.
嗨 伊莉莎白
Hey, Elizabeth.
嗨 我打来邀请你和凯蒂来用餐
Hi. Um…
I’m calling to invite you and Katie over for dinner.
嗨 我打来邀请你和凯蒂来用餐
Hi. Um…
嗨 我打来邀请你和凯蒂来用餐
Hi. Um…
你们哪天方便?
What day would work for you?
周四好吗?
(STAMMERING) How does Thursday sound?
不 周四我有作家讲坛
Uh, no. Look, Thursday I’m on a writer’s panel.
那周六呢?
What about Saturday?
杜蒂会做肉卷 凯蒂最爱吃了
Dottie’s making her meatloaf, it’s Katie favorite.
是啊 她会很爱
Yeah? Oh, she would love that.
但周六我们要去公园
You know, but Saturday, you see, we’re going to the park,
她回来会很累
she’s gonna get really tired afterwards.
听着 杰克 别跟我玩把戏了
Listen Jake, stop playing games with me, all right?
凯蒂跟我们住1年
Katie lived with us for a year.
我儿子们非常想她
The boys miss her terribly, as do William and I.
我和威廉也是
你到底要不要来用晚餐?
Now are you going to come to dinner or not?
我答应
I said yes.
好 那我们该敲定你有空的时间
All right then, we should set a date that works for you.
Hey…
好 那我们该敲定你有空的时间
All right then, we should set a date that works for you.
Hey…
伊莉莎白 听着
Elizabeth, look, I’m writing at the moment. Can I call you back? Thanks.
我正在写作 我再回电 谢谢