I was in downtown Los Angeles one day.
我的电♥话♥响了
My phone rings.
喂
“Hello? ”
喂 我是谢帕德·费瑞
“Hello, this is Shepard Fairey.
你好吗 泰瑞
How are you doing, Thierry? ”
嗯 嗯 挺好的
“Uh, yeah. Yeah, yeah, yeah.”
你知不知道哪里有墙可以作画
“Yeah, do you have any walls?
因为班克斯来了 我想…
Because I have Banksy here, and I would like”…
我说”什么 谁来了”
And I said,”What? You have who? ”
他说 班克斯来了
I’m like,”Uh…Yeah, yeah, there is Banksy here, and…”
我兴奋的说”你在哪里”
I’m like,”Where…are…you? ”
红灯刚亮
Red light. I stay.
我一脚油门闯过去
I vrrr…I go through red light.
我开车飞快
I was driving like crazy.
幸亏那天没被抓到
I mean, I’m lucky I didn’t get caught that day.
这家伙出现之后
So this guy shows up
看上去像19世纪中期的人
looking like something out of the 1860s,
他满头大汗
with these, like, huge sideburns, sweating,
告诉我他可以做任何事
telling me he could do anything;
可以带我去任何地方
he could take me anywhere;
提供我想要的一切
he could get me whatever I wanted;
他什么都能搞定
he could fix it all up.
是的 我当时说”你想要什么”
“Yeah, yeah, yeah, like, what do you want? ”
“你想要什么都行
“Anything you want.
你想要什么”
What do you want? ”
他问”你有电♥话♥吗”
He said,”Have you got a phone? ”
我说 没有
And I said no,
于是他去了街上的手♥机♥店
so he went to a phone shop over the road
他给我买♥♥了部手♥机♥
and bought me a phone,
买♥♥了一百美元的卡
and he bought $100 worth of credit
他拿着手♥机♥输入了他的号♥码说
and punched his number in and said,
“这就是我的号♥码
“Right, this is my number.
你有什么需要就打给我”
You call me. I have everything you need.”
“如果你想去哪里 我可以开车送你”
“I drive you if you need to go anywhere.”
“我可以照顾你”
“I’ll take care of you, whatever, whatever.”
“当你的司机”
“I’ll be your driver.”
“我可以什么都不做”
“I’m not doing anything. I’m not doing anything.”
“你随时找我 我随传随到”
“I’m not doing anything at any time.”
于是我让他
So on the understanding
带我买♥♥了些画具
that he would just help me make some paintings,
那天晚上我们一起出去了
we went out that evening.
机缘巧合
Circumstances had conspired
让泰瑞有机会与这位
to bring Thierry face-to-face
臭名昭著的艺术家面对面
with the notoriously secretive artist,
命运之神仍然站到了他那边
and fate remained on Thierry’s side
当泰瑞拿出摄像机
when he got his camera out.
我以前从来没让人拍过
Well, I’d never let anybody film anything before,
不过我说 你可以拍我
but I said he could film me,
但是只能从后面拍我的手
but only my hands, from behind,
条件是拍完后我要检查带子
and on condition that I could check the tapes afterwards.
这个人肯让我拍 简直是奇迹
It was magic that this person let me film, you know?
我感觉就像找到了拼图的最后一块
I felt like I had the piece that will finish the puzzle.
就好像是让黑夜里的事物
It was like getting something in the daylight
重见光明
that what you see in the night light.
他超出了我的预料
He was even more than I expected.
他非常不可思议
I mean, he was, like, just incredible.
他很酷
He was cool.
很幽默
He was…he was human.
他…他…他…
He was…he was…he was…
他…他就像…
he was…he is the…
他所代表的事物
you know, he’s really like what he represent.
他就像…
You know, he’s really, like…
我觉得他就像…
I think he’s really, like…
我真的很喜欢他
I really liked him.
在班克斯随后的生活当中
For the rest of Banksy’s stay,
泰瑞成了必不可少的助手
Thierry made himself indispensable,
带着这位艺术家来到城市里最棒的
leading the artist to some of the best painting spots
作画场所
in the city.
泰瑞的确是位很棒的助手
I mean, Thierry was the perfect host
一个涂鸦艺术家且离家好多英里
if you’re a graffiti rat and you’re miles from home.
他很勤劳
He had no fear.
愿意一整晚跟着我
He wanted to keep going all night long,
看我工作一整夜
and he had a massive larder.
在洛杉矶街头作画几周之后
A few weeks after their chance encounter in L.A.,
班克斯邀请泰瑞来到英国
Banksy invited Thierry to England.
我一直回避镜头
I always avoided cameras,
因为我所做的事可以说是在法律的灰色地带
because what I do is in a bit of a legal gray area,
不过我带泰瑞来到伦敦
but I brought Thierry over to London
因为我觉得这是个不错的主意
because it seemed like a good idea:
开始将我的作画过程用镜头记录下来
start videoing the work.
我们必须这么做
I mean, we had to, because, you know,
因为我的作品 有可能第二天就不见了
a lot of it was starting to disappear the next day.
但是班克斯最信任的
But Banksy’s close-knit team
一群朋友
of trusted friends
被这位手持摄像机的快乐法国人
was horrified by the sudden appearance
给吓坏了
of this camera-happy Frenchman.
泰瑞第一次拍摄班克斯的时候
The first time that Thierry was filming Banksy,
我心想 到底怎么回事
I was like, What the fuck is going on?
他从不允许别人这么做
I thought, you know, that nobody was allowed to do this.
我觉得这是一件很不可靠的事情
I thought it was a big breach of security.
作为一个神秘人
Being the man of mystery
又同时要走到镜头前面
and being filmed at the same time
让我觉得很奇怪
is a slight oxymoron, I think.
这是一件很危险的事情
It’s a very dangerous thing.
所有与他合作的人们
All the people who was working with him,
都不明白
they didn’t understand.
他们全身上下打量 我好像在说”这人是谁
They look at me like,”Who is this?
这家伙是什么人”
Who is this guy? ”
“他要对我们做什么”
You know,”What is he gonna do to us? ”
然而他根本不在乎
You know? And he didn’t care whatsoever.
二 三
Two, three.
我想泰瑞出现的时候
I guess Thierry showed up at a time
我发现人们对此的反应
when I realized that the reaction to this stuff
是最有趣的事情之一
was, you know, one of the most interesting things about it,
因为对我来说 完成之后
because for me, it’s an important part of the job
逃跑是最重要的
to run away as soon as we’ve done it,
但是泰瑞
but at least with Thierry,
却拍下了我们
we had someone hanging round afterwards
作案的证据
who could capture some of it.
在我看来他就像传奇一样
This is when I saw that he was, like, a legend.
他就像是侠盗罗宾汉
He was like kind of a Robin Hood or something.
-你认识班克斯吗 -恩
-You know Banksy? -Yeah?
-你认识班克斯吗 -我不认识
-You know Banksy? -I don’t know.
我想说 我听说过他
I mean, I heard about him.
他的涂鸦作品非常棒
He is a…he is a…he does very, very good graffiti.
看上去像是班克斯的作品
Looks a bit like Banksy,
我了解他的风格
but I know he’s doing a bit more installations at the moment.
我很喜欢 我很喜欢
I like it. I like it.
你觉得怎么样
What do you think of it?
有人看到这样的电♥话♥亭肯定会生气的
Someone is annoyed with BT telephones.
没错 我们在实现我的梦想
Yeah, we were, you know, laughing like trains
通过他拍摄的这一切
at all this stuff he got out of it.
是的 他证明了这是有价值的
So yeah, he proved his worth on that project,
有意义的
brought something to it
否则我们的作品将成为过眼云烟
that we would never have had otherwise.
在伦敦的余暇
Over the rest of his time in London,
班克斯带着泰瑞四处游览
Banksy took Thierry everywhere,
甚至允许他在自己的工作室里拍摄
even allowing him to film inside his studio
他为第一次在美国大肆表演 所做的准备
as he prepared for his first big American show.
他向我敞开了心门
He opened his door to me,
这对我来说简直太神奇了