她对我不好 对我爸爸也不好
She was horrid to me and beastly to my daddy.
我想问你今天早上你做了什么
Would you mind if I ask you a few questions about this morning?
您问吧 我跟克里斯蒂娜·雷德芬在一起
Why should I? I was with Christine Redfern.
她想到海鸥湾去画什么悬崖
She wanted to go to Gull Cove to draw some stupid cliffs.
画了吗
And did she?
画了 她头上还戴了顶大帽子
Oh, yes. She sat under her big hat while I sunbathed.
她一晒太阳皮肤就起泡
She gets all blistered if she sits out in the sun.
-是的 -真够她受的
-Yes. -It’s bad luck really.
您看吧 她送给我的 画得不坏
Here it is. She gave it to me. It’s not bad really.
不坏 她很有天才 这画画得一看就是悬崖
No, she has talent, that one. These are undeniably, er… cliffs.
她什么时候走的
When did she leave you?
-差五分12点 -你怎么这么肯定
-Five to 12. -How can you be so sure?
是她问我的
Because she asked me.
现在几点钟了
What time is it, dear?
差五分12点
Five to 12.
我得赶回去 约好12点半打网球
Lord, I must fly! I’m playing tennis at 12:30.
她手忙脚乱的 怕赶不上打网球
She got into a fearful panic about being late for tennis
就赶着回旅馆了
and rushed off back to the hotel.
-这送给你 -谢谢真好
-Would you like this? -Thanks. It’s super.
我游一会儿就回去
I’ll see you later after my swim.
我记得还没下水 克里斯蒂娜叫了我一声
I remember I was halfway down the beach when Christine called after me.
别忘了戴游泳帽
Don’t forget your bathing cap!
我忘戴游泳帽了
I’d forgotten my bathing cap,
就回来戴上 真讨厌
so I had to come back and put it on. What a bore!
游泳的时候你遇见别人了吗
Did you see anyone else while you were swimming?
没有 没人 就看见克里斯蒂娜在悬崖顶上向我招手
No, no one. Apart that is from Christine waving from the top of the cliff.
好了 您干嘛老是盯着我打听克里斯蒂娜
Look! Why don’t you stop asking me all these silly questions about Christine?
她不可能杀阿琳娜 我也不会
She couldn’t have murdered Arlena. Neither could I.
您应该去找那个色迷迷的雷克斯·布鲁斯特
That slimy Rex Brewster’s the one you should be talking to.
他恨阿琳娜 只有他会把她弄死
He hated Arlena. He’s the one who really wanted her dead.
怎么这么说啊 他非常崇拜她
How can you say that? He admired her so much.
别傻了
Don’t be daft!
他给阿琳娜写了本恶心的书 可是阿琳娜不让他出版
He’d written this filthy book about her which she wouldn’t allow him to publish.
对不起 小姐 这你怎么知道的
Excuse me, mademoiselle, but how do you know all this?
昨天我在海滩上听见他们俩吵架了
I heard them having a row about it on the beach yesterday.
他们当我走了 可我没走
They thought I’d gone away, but I hadn’t.
看来书没出版 人倒成了凶手要给毙了
Maybe he won’t be able to publish it if he’s hanged for murder first.
你们要不把那些餐具擦得更亮 照得出人
If I can’t see you faces shining in every knife, fork and spoon,
我叫你们吃不了兜着走
I’ll have your guts for garters, understood?
夫人 知道布鲁斯特先生在哪儿吗
Madame! Have you any idea where I can find Monsieur Brewster?
雷克斯 刚才他还在花♥园♥里
Rex? I thought I saw him go out into the garden.
不过
Oh, but…
您找他干嘛 应该去找那个女的
He’s not the one you want. You should cherchez la femme.
女的 夫人
Really, madame?
对了 我想来想去 结果想出来了
Absolutely, I have been having a little think, and I worked it all out.
霍勒斯·布拉特爵士不可能 肯尼思·马歇尔不可能
If Horace Blatt is in the clear and Kenneth Marshall is in the clear
还有我 我不可能
and I’m… I’m in the clear,
帕特里克·雷德芬也不可能
and Patrick Redfern is in the clear
和他在一起的麦拉·加德纳当然也不可能
and Myra Gardener is in the clear because she was with him.
那么就只有受气包了 对吗
Then it’s all down to little Miss Cringe, isn’t it?
受气包
Miss Cringe?
对 那吃醋的老婆 克里斯蒂娜·雷德芬
Yes. The jealous wife, Christine Redfern.
您别看她风一吹就会倒的样子
Don’t believe all that about her being too weedy.
一个女人吃起醋来会拼命的
Women fight like tigers when losing their husbands.
关于这一点我本人倒是没有什么经验
Not that I’ve had much experience in that sort of thing myself.
那么照您的分♥析♥ 克里斯蒂娜是怎么杀的
But what is your theory? I mean, how did Madame Christine do it?
这谁知道 也许她用木头把阿琳娜砸晕了
I don’t know. Probably battered Arlena with a bit of driftwood,
然后把她掐死 使劲掐住她的 喉管
then finished her off with a little pressure on the… carotid artery?
对 喉管 是的
The artery there, yes, yes.
侦探小说里面都是这么写的
Everyone knows that. It’s in all the crime novels.
就在前几天
In fact,
有个11岁的孩子她就是这么做的 在匈牙利
only the other day a child of 11 did something like that, in Hungary.
还是在克里特岛 我忘了 不过那孩子用的是胡桃夹子
Or was it Crete? I don’t know… Anyway, she used a pair of nutcrackers.
克里特岛 位于地中海北部 为希腊第一大岛
我去看看丢了胡桃夹子没有
I know. Perhaps I’d better go and see if any are missing…
不用了 可惜在她的喉管上没有胡桃夹子印子
Madame, unfortunately, there are no nutcracker marks on the throat.
再说克里斯蒂娜不可能是凶手
And Madame Christine could not possibly have done it.
琳达小姐已经证明她没有在现场 她们都不在现场
Her alibi had been confirmed by Mademoiselle Linda, and vice versa.
哪有那么巧啊
How very irritating!
“在那高高的 火热的
“Under the high… lazy…
“中午的亚得里亚海阳光下
…noonday Adriatic sun…
“她展开双臂仰天而卧
…the body lay on its back, arms outstretched,
“就在临死前还摆着她生前常用的姿势”
parodying in the position she so often occupied in life.”
这真是神来之笔
Oh. That is marvellous, that’s…

Oh.
您到底来了 波洛先生 来盘问我了
So, you’ve come, Monsieur Poirot, to question me about poor Arlena.
我完全没想到 一点儿也没想到
I am shattered. I am absolutely shattered.
她生前是多么的风趣 是有求必应的
She was so wonderfully funny, so very generous…
可就偏偏不同意
Not generous enough to give you a release
您出版您写的那本书
so that you could publish that manuscript, eh?
这谁说的
Who told you that?
这您别管 这是事实
Never mind, but it is the truth, n’est-ce pas?
人死了不算诽谤
You cannot libel the dead.
这本书可以出版了 发一笔财了
Now you are free to publish your saucy tales and reap the reward.
是的 从这个角度看 我是得到好处了
Well, I would admit, from that point of view, I have benefitted.
不过说实话 先生 失去了这么一个出色的演员
Oh, but I assure you, monsieur, that the loss of so radiant a performer
远远超过了我个人的受益
infinitely exceeds any possible gain to myself.
我说的是真话
You must believe that.
她是在11点半到12点之间被害的
The time of death has been narrowed to between 11:30 and 12:00.
这段时间您在哪儿
Where were you at this time?
我在个划艇上
I was on a pedalo.
划艇上
A pedalo?
在哪儿
Where abouts?
我不知道 我身上没地图
How should I know? I wasn’t carrying a chart at the time.
有意思 太有意思了
Oh, que c’est amusant. How amusing that is!
不管有没有地图 您看到霍勒斯·布拉特爵士的
Chart or no chart, it was perfectly possible for you to have watched
游艇开走了 您就把船划进了梯子湾
Sir Horace Blatt’s boat leave and then to have pedaloed into Ladder Bay,
上岸看见阿琳娜睡得很死
there to find the unsuspecting Arlena asleep,
于是您就掐死了她
and then you strangled her.
波洛先生 您知不知道 从梯子湾绕岛
Monsieur Poirot, are you aware that it would take nearly two hours
划到海鸥湾要将近两个小时
to paddle around the island from Ladder Bay to Gull Bay?
就在12点整
At 12 o’clock precisely,
放午炮的时候 我才到海鸥湾
as that boring old gun went off I pedalled into Gull Bay.
琳达在那儿游泳
Linda was there, swimming.
我差点撞了她 她闷着个头在瞎游
In fact I nearly hit her, she was splashing around like a deaf seal.
12点您在海鸥湾
You say that you saw Mlle Linda
看见琳达小姐游泳了
swimming in Gull Bay at 12 o’clock?
当然 我要她帮忙把船划回去
Certainly, I asked her to help me pedal back,
可她拒绝了
but the little charmer refused.
你要干嘛
What do you want?
你说什么
What did you say?
我说亲爱的 帮我把这船划回去
I said, Good god, darling. Help me pedal this damned thing back.
我的腿没劲了
My legs are killing me.
自己划吧
Pedal it back yourself.
所以说 亲爱的 阿琳娜不是我杀的
So you see, darling, I simply could not have killed Arlena.
先生 既然您在找凶手
Monsieur, if you are so anxious to find a murderer,
就找一下想害死我的人吧
why don’t you find out who tried to murder me?
害死您 什么意思
Murder you? What do you mean?
我在那个小懒虫琳达走了以后
Well, after I’d been left by that lazy little cow Linda to rupture myself,
我痛定思痛接着划
I pedalled off.
过了十分钟 一个瓶子唰一下从山崖上飞下来
About ten minutes later, a bottle came whizzing over the cliff
就掉在我身边的水里头
and smacked down in the water right next to me.
差一点砸了我脑袋
The damned thing missed my head by inches.
我抬头看 上头没有人
I looked up, there’s nobody around.
您这个情节曲折想象丰富的故事说得真是好
I must congratulate you on that highly interesting and imaginative story.
我指的就是您那所谓中午游海鸥湾的虚构故事
I refer of course to your visit, your fictional visit, to Gull Bay at noon.
您说什么 虚构的 琳达
What do you mean “fictional”? Linda!
她否认在那个时候见到任何人
Mademoiselle Linda denies having seen anyone there at the time.
什么
What?
这可恶的小丫头
Oh, that lousy little hoyden!
她讨厌我 因为我崇拜阿琳娜 可这太荒唐了

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!