Wow. It’s crazy this year, eh?
对 多亏了那位掀起登山向导热潮的新西兰人…
I know, man. Some idiot Kiwi goes and invents Himalayan guiding
看看成了什么样子
and look what happens.
你不也很快加入这行
Yeah, it didn’t take you too long to get in on the act.
总得养活自己嘛
Gotta make a living, man.
你把冰瀑的梯子修复好了
You went ahead and fixed the icefalls, I see.
是的
Yeah, yeah.
-今年山上的状况不太妙 -是吗
-It’s pretty messy up there this year. -Yeah?
冰隙裂缝挺大 我们架了4 5个梯子
Crevasses are pretty big. Strung four or five ladders across.
你们都用了牢固的绳子 对吗
You used good ropes though, didn’t you?
准备好了 今天是4月7号♥ 早上大约10点半
You ready? Okay. This is, um, April 7th, about 10:30 a.m.,
我是桑迪·希尔皮特曼
this is Sandy Hill Pittman,
为美国广播公♥司♥互动媒体报导…
reporting for NBC Interactive Media
我们正式抵达珠峰大本营了
and we are officially at Everest Base Camp!
她是你的队员
She one of yours?
有人把我的记者抢走…
Oh, yeah. Someone went and stole my journalist
我只好再找一个
so I had to get another one. Hmm.
她看起来比 乔恩·克拉考尔顺眼多了…
She’s a lot easier on the eye than Jon Krakauer,
-那是当然的 -听好…
-that’s for sure. -Listen, just to be clear,
我并没有抢走你的记者
I didn’t steal your journalist.
嗨 没关系
Hey, man, it’s all good.
户外杂♥志♥联络我
Outside magazine gave me a call.
-嘿嘿 -是他们主动打给我的
-Hey.Hey! -They gave me a call.
-说想要…-没事的
-Said they wanted to… -It’s all good, man.
他们要派一位记者上山
They were gonna send a journalist up the hill
问我是否有兴趣帮忙
and asked me if I was interested.
是记者自己决定的
It was his call in the end.
卡罗琳·麦肯齐队医 你不如自我介绍
All right, Caroline MacKenzie, team doctor. Why don’t you kick it off, Caro.
-大家好 -你好 卡罗
-Hi everyone. -Hey, Caro.
你好
Hi there.
-抱歉 -没关系
-Sorry. -That’s fine.
罗布 哈罗德以及麦克
So Rob and Harold and Mike
会教大家各种登山知识
will tell you all sorts of stuff about mountaineering,
但以医学的角度…
but from a medical standpoint
能否成功登上高峰
getting you to the top of Everest is really about oxygen.
需要的是足够的氧气
And the lack of it.
想要登顶…
To give you the best chance of summiting
就得锻练身体适应高海拔稀薄的空气
you need to prepare your bodies for the thin air up there.
在接下来的一个月 直到最终登顶…
So, over the next month, before the final ascent
你们得适应三次的半登山体验…
you’re gonna make three partial acclimatizing ascents
每次都要回到珠峰大本营
returning here to Base Camp after each one.
坏消息是每次登山的起点和终点都环绕在冰瀑边
The bad news is that each ascent begins and ends with the icefall.
抱歉 我们别无选择
I’m sorry, but there is no way around it.
这里早晚都有上万吨♥不停移♥动♥的冰川
There are millions of tons of glacial ice continually moving day and night.
冰峰大得跟高楼一样
You got seracs the size of tower blocks,
冰隙也深不见底
you got crevasses so deep they probably don’t even have a bottom.
那里绝对不能久留…
It is not a place that you wanna get caught hanging out in,
特别是太阳升起时
especially when the sun hits it.
所以我们得尽早出发 尽快通过此区域
So we’re gonna be up nice and early and through that as soon as possible.
夏尔巴人已经架好冰隙间的梯子…
Now the Sherpas have gone ahead and fixed the ladders across the crevasses
我们尽可能做到安全无虞
and we’ve made it as safe as we possibly can.
不过再怎么安全都有可能发生意外
But that is not to say that it is completely safe.
已有十九人摔死在那座冰瀑中
19 people have died in that icefall.
慢着
Hold on!
稳住
Steady.
-你还好吗 乔恩 -还可以吗
-You all right, Jon? -You all right?
-我没事 -好的
-Okay. -All right,
好 稳住脚步
steady up. Whoo!
记住 我们是一个团队
So remember, we’re a team.
要互相扶持
Let’s look out for each other.
一号♥营地 海拔5943米
注意低温症的现象
Look out for hypothermia,
像口齿不清或非理性行为
things like slurred speech and irrational behavior.
我曾见过缺氧的登山客在海拔8000米把衣服拔光
I’ve seen hypoxic climbers rip off all their clothes at 8,000 meters
因为他们感觉到热
because they’re feeling hot.
你们都知道脑水肿吧 你的大脑会肿胀
You all know about cerebral edema, the swelling of your brain
并且逐步失去活动能力 最后死亡
to the point of loss of motor function and eventually death.
还有肺水肿 也就是肺部积水
And pulmonary edema, which is your lungs filling with fluid
跟溺水一样
so you effectively drown.
唯一的治疗方法就是立即下山
The only cure is to get down the mountain, fast.
-好的 -好的 老兄
-All right, okay. -All right, buddy.
不过大家不用太悲观
But it is not all doom and gloom here, okay?
我和整个团体会确保大家能够安全的上下山
Myself and the whole AC team are here to make sure you get up and down safely
让你们自然的适应高度
and you will acclimatize naturally.
我们给卡罗鼓掌 这是她首次的登山体验
So why don’t we all give Caro a nice big thank you, it’s her first time here.
-好 -干得好
-All right. -Nice job.
4月23号♥
二号♥营地 海拔6♥4♥92米
做得很好
Well done.
你得开上调解器 直到发出声音
See, you want to get on the regulator. You want to hear that hiss.
连接上软管
Connect your hose.
-恭子 -贝克
-Yasuko. -Beck.
-你还好吗 亲爱的 -很好
-How’d you do, darling? -Okay.
-还好吗 -做得好
-Good? -Well done.
能让我吸一点吗
Can I get a hit of that?
可以
Have a suck on that.
在这种情况下
In a situation like this,
你得大口喘气 把调解器开到最大
you just wanna catch your breath, throw it up to four.
-你应该感觉好多了 -没错
-You should start feeling pretty good. -I can feel it already.
大家还好吗
How did you boys go?
-嘿 -活过来了
-Hey. -Instant happiness.
-太棒了 -心满意足
-Amazing. -Very happy.
道格 你还好吗
Doug, you okay?
我们回到珠峰大本营后 我会叫卡罗看看你
Well, when we get back to Base, I want you to get Caro to take a look at you.
-不用 我没事 -不行
-No. I’m all right, I’m okay. -No, no.
拜托 晚上开着氧气瓶吧
And do me a favor, spend your night on oxygen.
-要这样吗 -是的
-Yeah? -Yeah.
我们有足够的氧气瓶
We got enough?
-绝对足够 -好吧
-We got plenty. -All right.
喝些茶吧
Get some tea into ya.
把衣服拉高些
Just lift your shirt up a bit.
谢谢
Thank you.
深吸一口气
And take a deep breath for me?
吃早餐前服用一颗
Just take one of those in the morning with a bit of water, before breakfast.
好的 谢谢
Okay, thanks.
-轮到你了 贝克 -抱歉 来吧
-Right, Beck, you’re up. -Sorry. Here, go for it.
我的状态肯定很好
Read it and weep.
放轻松点 道格
Take it easy, Doug.
-可以停止了 -可以了
-Right, you can stop. -Yeah?
你状态不错 贝克
You’re in great shape, Beck.
我的状态的确尚佳
I am in great shape.
-没错 -一周六天的锻练
-Yeah. -Six days a week in the gym.
-风雨无阻 -你妻子一定很开心
-Ought to do it. -Your wife must love that.
当然
Yeah, she does.
糟了 今天是几号♥
Oh, no. What’s the date today?
-4月25号♥ -不
-April 25th. -No.
不
No!
我得给妻子传信息 能够用你的传真机吗
I need to send a message to my wife. Can I use your fax?
你先看看这个 这是昨晚传给你的
You might wanna look at this one first. It came in for you last night.
结婚周年纪念日快乐 贝克
-我的天 -干嘛
-Lord. -What?
我能借用你的卫星电♥话♥吗
Can I use your sat phone?
这若是昨晚传来的 肯定是紧急事件
Well, if this did come in last night, it’s an emergency.
-收费是一分钟25元 贝克 -好的
-It’s 25 bucks a minute, Beck. -Yep, fine.
不用了 我们付就好
No, this one’s on us.
真的
Seriously?
谢了
Thanks.
罗布
Rob!
德克萨斯州 达拉斯
-贝克 -佩琪 是我
-Beck? -Peach, it’s me.
发生了什么事
What’s happened?
没事 我很好
Nothing, nothing. I’m fine.
你在哪里
Where are you?