贝丝 ? 我的贝丝 ?
Beth? My Beth?
我们当时正在吃午餐
We were all sitting around at lunch…
她指着球说
and she pointed at a ball and said…
“球”
“ball.”
忽然就冒出这么一句话
Right out of the blue.
我当时很激动
It was pretty intense…
看她说这辈子第一句话
you know, seeing somebody’s first word.
她以后也许会喋喋不休 但第一个字却是 “球”
All the words they say in their life, the first word she says is “ball.”
她用小小的手指指着
She was pointing her little finger…
可爱的小手臂伸的直直的
with her beautiful, soft, chubby little arm…
鼓起胖胖的脸颊…
and her little cheeks…
她盯着球 仿佛已经看了九个月
She was looking at it like she’d been looking at it for nine months…
像她明明知道那是什么 却说不出来
and just couldn’t get it out but knowing what it was.
她直直的盯着球
She didn’t look away or anything.
她伸直双臂坐在那儿
She was just sitting there with her arm out.
你当时该看看我 马修和凯蒂的表情
You should’ve seen Matthew and Katie and me.
我们张口结舌盯着她
Our jaws just dropped, and we were looking at her.
我们呆呆的坐了3 , 4分钟
We must’ve stood there three or four minutes and just looked at her.
她伸直双臂 , 说 “球”
And she just had her arm out like that. “Ball.”
她张开小小的嘴巴…
And, you know, her little lips wrapped around her…
It was great. It was intense.
“九个月后”
我带来一些文件 我想你们也许会有兴趣
I brought some stuff that I thought you guys might be interested in seeing.
我叫做艾琳 我整天都会待在这里
My name’s Erin, and I’ll be here all day.
我们去跟她们聊聊 你们好吗 ?
Let’s go over to these nice ladies. Hi. How are you?
我叫艾琳 我今天带了些资料来
My name is Erin, and I’ve brought some information today…
你们可以参考一下
if you want to look at it.
有问题可以随时来问我
Any questions, please let me know.
打扰一下 , 各位 我是艾德马西瑞
Excuse me, ladies. I’m Ed Masry.
我是办这件案子的律师 请各位看看这些资料
I’m a lawyer involved in the case. I thought you might like to read these.
-有问题来找我 , 我整天都在 -好
– Any questions, I’ll be here all day. – Sounds good.
谢谢
Thanks so much.
这上面有你的电♥话♥吗 ?
You got your phone number in this?
相信我上面的资料 比我的电♥话♥更重要
There’s more important information in there than that, trust me.
我和孩子们都无聊死了
I’m bored. So are the kids.
亲爱的 , 我很忙
Okay, well, I’m a little busy here, honey.
我和艾德请这些人来 我们要…对不起
We invited all these people here. Ed and I have to… I’m sorry.
这样吧 , 我有个点子
You know what? I have an idea. Please. I have an idea.
能不能帮我抱她 ?
Can you take her?
她越来越重了 没有她我会做的比较快
She’s getting heavy, and I can do my work faster if you take her.
宝贝在羽毛枕上睡觉
Sugar sleepin’ on two feather pillows
宝贝在羽毛枕上睡觉
Sleepin’ on two feather pillows
想不想我 ?
Got a need for me?
-哈啰 -哈啰 , 亲爱的
– Hello. – Hello, sweetness.
-你猜怎么着 ? -怎么样 ?
– Guess what. – What?
我想回家
I would like to go home.
-都弄好了吗 ? -我做了很多事
– Get anything done? – I got a lot of work done.
我大概吃了三颗西瓜
I think I ate three watermelons.
背我 !
Piggyback!
走吧 , 老弟 , 上来
Let’s go, brother. Get on.
小心
Careful, careful.
快上来
Here, get on me now.
-艾琳 , 打扰一下 -嗨
– Erin, excuse me. – Oh, hi.
这位是尼尔森培瑞兹
This is Nelson Perez.
-他在压缩机组那里工作 -幸会
– He works at the compressor station. – Hi. Nice to meet you.
在P G & E
PG&E.

Oh, hi. Wow.
-现在来是不是不方便 ? -不会…
– I’ve come at a bad time. – No, no.
你们等我一下…
Can you just give me one…
-没问题 -谢谢
– Of course. Sure. – Thank you. Thank you.
天啊
Oh, my God.
这样吧
You know what?
你们先回去
You guys go ahead without me…
我搭艾德的便车回去…
and I’ll get a ride with Ed…
亲爱的 , 我马上就回去
Sweetie, I’ll be right behind.
我随后就到 , 好吗 ?
I’ll be right behind you. Okay?
-我真的…这真的… -没问题 , 你去啊
– I really… This is so… – Fine. Go, go, go.
下来吧 , 老弟
Get down, bud.
我们先回家
We’re gonna go home. All right?
抓紧了
Hang on tight there.
帮你妹妹穿鞋 , 咱们走
Help your sister with her shoes. Come on. Let’s go.
培瑞兹先生 , 你提供的资料 很有用 , 我可以写下来吗 ?
Mr. Perez, this is so helpful. May I write some of this down?
我有好多问题要请教
I have so many questions.
我要知道发电厂的运作情况 冷却塔等等
I wanna know how the plant works, the cooling towers, everything.
他们在冷却塔里使用六价铬
They used the hexachrome here in these cooling towers…
他们在冷却塔里使用六价铬
They used the hexachrome here in these cooling towers…
来当防锈剂
as an anticorrosive.
再将多余的冷却水 排放到这些池塘里
Then they dumped the excess water into these ponds.
我们去的时候 好像没有看到池塘
I don’t remember seeing any ponds up there.
这照片是很久以前的 他们早就把池塘盖住了
This is an old picture. They’ve been covered over.
不过做的很草率 只要向下挖一英寸
And not too carefully, because if you dig one inch under the surface…
那里的土都绿的像榨浆草一样
the dirt’s as green as a fuckin’ shamrock.
这就是污染源 ?
And that’s what caused the contamination?
不是 , 问题出在池底
Well, it didn’t help, but no. The problem started on the bottom.
根据…
According to…
这份文件来看
this…
通常这些池塘都要做防漏处理
in most cases you would line these ponds…
这样毒物才不会漏到地底
so this shit didn’t seep into the ground.
-你猜怎么着 ? -他们省掉这个步骤 ?
– But guess what. – They skipped that step?
假设池塘在这里
And here are the ponds.
污水会这样下来 辛克利的位置在这里
The plume comes down like this, and Hinkley is down here.
1 4年来排放的六价铬 直接流进地下水
It’s, like, 14 years of hexachrome just flowing into the ground water.
我的天啊
Jesus.
那个人就这样 把资料透露给你 ?
And this guy just offered all this information?
没错
Well, yeah.
尼尔森很关心池塘里的东西
Nelson cares what’s in those ponds.
他常在里面泡上半天… 那是他的工作
He used to spend half the day wading around in them… that was his job.
天啊
Shit.
怎么了 ?
What’s the matter?
我不知道我们能不能成功
I don’t know if we can pull this off.
这件案子非同小可
This is a monster case.
我们有4 1 1 名原告
We’re up to 411 plaintiffs.
也有 1 6 2份陈述状
We’ve taken 162 declarations.
也许有好几百个人早就搬走了
Probably hundreds more out there have moved away.
我们要找到他们这费时又费力
We’re gonna have to find ’em. It’s taking time, manpower.
钱花的越来越凶却没有进帐 我要去申请二胎贷款
Money’s going out, nothing’s coming in. I’ll have to take out a second mortgage.
-那又怎样 ? – “那又怎样” ?
– So? – “So”?
所以…
So…
我得告诉你
I have to tell you…
我到处向大型法律事务所…
I’ve been making inquiries…
打听…
with other firms, bigger firms…
问他们愿不愿意分担费用
to share some of the cost.
他们一口回绝说我们毫无胜算
They all said no, said we don’t have it.
放屁 , 我们已经盯住 P G & E的要害
Bullshit. We got PG&E by the balls.
那只是他们的辛克利分公♥司♥
PG&E Hinkley by the balls.
但是如果没有办法扯上 P G & E旧金山总公♥司♥就白搭
But nobody’ll get rich unless we can pin this on PG&E Corporate in San Francisco.
你这话什么意思 ?
What do you mean?
P G & E总公♥司♥可以宣称 他们对辛克利的事毫不知情
PG&E Corporate claims they had no way of knowing what was going on in Hinkley.
不知道才怪
Oh, they knew. They had to know.
那就提出文件证明啊
Show me the document that proves it.
如果他们坚称不知情的话
Then they didn’t know, and if they didn’t know…
我们就不能要求他们赔偿
we can’t hit them with punitive damages.
惩罚性赔偿的金额…
Punitive damages means a sum that can actually have some effect…
on these people’s lives.
我们现在怎么办 ?
So what do we do now?
让我们来假设
Let’s assume there are documents…
有文件能证明 P G & E总公♥司♥脱不了关系
connecting PG&E Hinkley with PG&E Corporate…
他们也知道这些文件的存在
and they know these documents exist.
我们也有四百多名原告 和你找到的证据
We take our 400-or-so plaintiffs and everything you’ve dug up…
我们提出告诉 看看他们有何反应…
we file a lawsuit to provoke a reaction…
是提出合理的赔偿金额 还是和我们打文件仗 ?
see if they offer a reasonable amount or just throw more paper at us.
听起来不错 , 就这么做吧

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!