-但我不认为他们会接受 -马西瑞先生
I’ll doubt they’ll accept.
在你大肆宣扬之前
Before you go off on some crusade…
你最好弄清楚你的对手是谁
you might wanna remember who it is you’re dealing with here.
P G & E身价2 8 0亿
PG&E’s a $28 billion corporation.
2 8 0亿 ?
Twenty-eight billion dollars?
我不知道有这么多耶
I didn’t know it was that much. Wow!
2 8 0亿 !
我的妈呀 !
Holy cow!
至少他们愿意和解
At least they made an offer.
出一百万才叫做有和解的诚意
That wasn’t an offer. A million would have been an offer.
他们还派了个小弟 来浪费我的时间
And they send their mail clerk to jerk me off, waste my time!
-他们为何要这么做 ? -因为他们玩得起
– Why would they do that? – Because they can.
You heard that kid. They have $28 billion at their disposal.
-他们可以浪费时间 -你不行吗 ?
– They can afford to waste time. – And you can’t?
-你以我是摇钱树吗 ? -你干嘛吼我 ?
– You think I’m made of money? – What are you yelling at me for?
-因为我不爽 -很好
– Because I’m pissed off! – Good.
-干♥你♥的 ! -我回干♥你♥ !
– Fuck you! – Fuck you back!
我有时候真的很讨厌你
I really hate you sometimes.
才不 , 你爱死我了
No, you love me.
你看了好久了
You’ve been reading for hours.
我看书看得慢
I’m a slow reader.
对不起
Excuse me.
-你是艾琳波可维奇吗 ? -是的
– Are you Erin Brockovich? – Yeah.
我是汤姆曼宾森 这是我的太太曼蒂
I’m Tom Robinson. This is my wife Mandy.
我们以前住在詹森家对面
We used to live across the street from the Jensens.
你应该认识唐娜吧 ?
I think you know Donna.
P G & E去年买♥♥了我们的房♥子
PG&E bought our house last year.
The vets said they had a bunch of tumors and stuff.
你看 , 它们根本无法行走
You can see they couldn’t really walk.
有多少生下来就是如此 ?
How many were born like this?
1 2 , 1 3只左右
Twelve or thirteen or so.
对
Yeah.
当唐娜告诉我有关 你和铬的事
When Donna told us about you and what you told her about the chromium…
我们心想这件事 也许也和铬有关
we figured that might have something to do with this too.
有可能
Yeah, it might.
-我真的…可以给我吗 ? -可以
– I’m really… May I keep these? – Yeah.
好极了 , 真是太感谢你们了
Okay, great. Thank you so much. I really appreciate it.
还有一件事
There’s something else too.
什么事 ?
What?
曼蒂一共…
Mandy here has had…
流产了五次
five miscarriages.
我很遗憾
I’m so sorry.
我以为是我的错
I figured it was something I did…
也许是因为我抽大♥麻♥
like when I smoked marijuana, maybe…
或是避孕药吃多了
or took birth control pills.
但后来唐娜说
But then Donna said…
你认为她的病是因铬而起
that you thought that this chromium might be to blame for her problems…
所以我想…
so I figured…
也许问题不全出在我身上
maybe it wasn’t just me.
哇
Whoa.
我要去洗个澡
I gotta take a bath.
你该进去一下
You should go in.
他们还没睡 ?
They’re not asleep?
贝丝和凯蒂睡了
Beth and Katie are.
学校如何 ?
How was school?
很好
Fine.
-你功课做好了吗 ? -有
– Did you do your homework? – Yeah.
有问题吗 ?
Any problems?
我知道你不高兴
I know you’re upset, but…
但我的工作就是这样 事情常在最后关头蹦出来
the way this job is, things come up at the last minute…
很重要的事 , 我不管不行…
real important things that I gotta deal with…
好嘛 !
Fine!
请不要生我的气
Please don’t be mad at me.
我是为了我们在打拼
I’m doing this for us.
我知道要你明白这一切太难 但…
I know it’s hard for you to understand, but…
你不希望妈妈在工作上 表现出色吗 ?
Don’t you want Mama to be good at her job?
呣 ?
Hmm?
我又不是从不回来吃晚饭 我们昨天晚上才一起吃过
I don’t miss dinner all the time. We all ate together last night.
你一直在看书
You were reading the whole time.
好吧
Okay.
我有件事搞不懂 , 马西瑞先生
There’s something about this whole thing I don’t quite understand, Mr. Masry.
若P G & E真的污染水源
If PG&E messed with our water…
他们干嘛还要 费事对我们解释 ?
why would they bother saying anything about it to us at all?
为什么不干脆保持沉默 ?
Why not just keep quiet?
好建立追诉时效
To establish a statute of limitations.
这种案子 , 从发现问题…
In a case like this, you only have one year…
到提出告诉只有一年的期限
from the time you first learn about the problem to file suit.
所以P G & E心想…
So PG&E figures…
我们不如先下手为强 让人们知道这里水质并不完美
We’ll let the cat out of the bag, tell people the water’s not perfect…
只要撑过一年不挨告
and if we can ride out the year with no one suing…
我们就可以高枕无忧了
we’ll be in the clear forever.
但他们告诉我们此事 也已经不只一年了
But it was more than a year ago that they told us.
-不要紧 , 我们不要告他们 -现在还不要
– That’s okay. We’re not suing. – Not yet.
我们现在只打算利用这些资讯
All we’re doing is using this information…
逼迫他们用高价买♥♥你们的房♥子
to get you a real nice purchase price on your house…
再帮你们两位 追讨他们该付你们的钱
and you two a comparable retroactive bonus on your sale price.
这样P G & E在股东面前 也不会颜面扫地
That way PG&E can still look good to their shareholders…
因为他逃过了诉讼之灾
’cause they’re not involved in an ugly lawsuit.
他们只不过是买♥♥了几块地而已
All they’re doing is buying a little property.
上面没写我们要花多少钱
Doesn’t say here how much this whole thing’s gonna cost us.
我的费用是 你们得到金额的4 0 %
My fee’s 40 percent of whatever you get awarded.
我了解你们的想法
Boy, do I know how you feel.
我第一次听到这个数字时 我说 “你在开玩笑吧”
The first time I heard that number I said, You’ve got to be kidding me.
4 0 % ?
Forty goddamn percent?
受伤的人是我 这个小丑坐在办公室里
I’m the one that’s injured, this joker sits at a desk all day…
居然想拿走我近一半的赔偿金 ?
and he wants to walk away with almost half my reward?”
但后来…
But then…
我问他…
I asked him…
要是我没拿到钱的话 他怎么办
what he makes if I don’t get anything.
那我也一毛都拿不到
Then I don’t get anything either.
而且还赔上自己的时间
Plus, he’s out all the costs.
所以 , 我明白了
So I realized…
他也是孤注一掷
he’s taking a chance too.
你有笔吗 , 蜜糖 ?
You got a pen, honey?
好
All right, then.
我做了蛋糕
Oh, I made a bundt cake.
谁要来点下午茶 ?
Who would like coffee and cake?
-我要 -我们要回去了
– I do. – We have to be getting back.
艾德 , 喝杯他妈的咖啡
Have a fucking cup of coffee, Ed.
我来杯咖啡好了 , 谢谢
Coffee will be great. Thank you.
-好 -我来帮忙
– All right. – I’ll help you.
我太太的蛋糕很好吃
My wife makes really good bundt cake.
我喜欢吃蛋糕
I love bundt cake.
不知怎么地 我们全家人都起红疹了
Well, seems like everybody in the family ended up with a rash somehow.
不管我们怎么做 红疹就是消不了
It also seems like no matter what we did for it, it always came back.
一共多久 ?
Over what kind of period of time?
好多年 我们没有认真记录
Oh, a long time. You know, years.
孩子们纷纷病倒 我还要照顾牲口
We never did keep track of it. Kids are sick, animals need to be fed.
反正就是摆脱不了 那些讨厌的红疹
Just couldn’t get rid of it, that’s all.
迪索托太太说…
Uh, well, Mrs. DeSoto said…
她不确定你们到底生了什么病
that she wasn’t exactly sure what you had.
我们很确定
Oh, well, we know what it is.
是肠胃癌
It’s gastrointestinal cancer.
她九个月前病倒了
She got sick about nine months ago…
她六个月前动了手术
and they operated on her about six months ago.
-肠道手术 -我知道了
– The intestine. – Right.
“谢绝推销”
-嗨 , 我是艾琳波可维奇… -我知道你是谁
– Hi. I’m Erin Brock… – I know who you are.
唐娜打电♥话♥给我了
Donna called me.
我可以进来吗 ?
Oh. Can I come in?
我告诉唐娜我对这件事没兴趣
I told Donna we’re not interested in getting involved.
为什么 ?
Can I ask why?