The whole idea about coming here
不就是要逃离吗?
was to get away… wasn’t it?
怎么现在才过了一天,
And now after just one day,
你就想给人写信…
you want to write to the very people–
给那些我们想逃离的人。
The very people we’re trying to get away from.
是的,我知道。
Yes, I know.
很愚蠢是吗,罗斯?但我在这里很开心。
It’s idiotic, isn’t it, Rose? But I feel so happy here.
这个地方让我觉得充满了爱。
This place makes me feel flooded with love.
重要的是爱要多多益善。
The important thing is to have lots of love about.
我在家里的时候很计较。
I was very stingy with it back home.
我…我经常精打细算、斤斤计较。
I– I used to measure and count it out.
我讲究有来有往,你懂的。
I had this obsession with justice, you see.
梅勒什爱我多少,
I wouldn’t love Mellersh
我就爱他多少。
unless he loved me back exactly as much.
他要是不爱我,
And as he didn’t…
我也不爱他。
and neither did I.
没意思。
The emptiness of it all.
我不回村子了。
I don’t think I’ll come down to the village.
嗯…
Um…
我想待在这里好好想想。
I’d like to stay here and think.
别想太久了。
Don’t think too long.
– 快写信邀请他。 – 邀请谁?
– Write and invite him now. – Invite who?
你丈夫。
Your husband.
洛蒂写信,梅勒什会回信。
Lotty can write, and Mellersh will answer.
弗雷德里克不会。
Frederick won’t.
就算会
Or if he did,
也会是“感谢来信。”
it would be, “thanks for the letter.
“别急着回来。”
“Don’t hurry back.
“如果需要钱,就说。”
“Say if you want money.
“弗雷德里克。”
Frederick.”
衣服很漂亮。
That’s a beautiful dress.
漂亮啥啊,一百年的老款了。
No. I’ve had it a hundred years.
但是你穿着一定很冷。
But you must be very cold in it.
这里天黑以后很容易着凉。
It’s easy to catch a chill here after dark.
你看起来好像里面什么都没穿。
You look as though you have nothing on underneath.
没穿。
I haven’t.
很不注意。
That’s very imprudent
也很不妥。
And very improper.
这儿又没男人,有什么妥不妥的?
There are no men here, so how can it be improper?
难道你没意识到,没男人在的场合
Have you noticed how difficult it is to be improper
行为得体才更难做到。
when there are no men about.
话糙理不糙啊。
That’s sad, but true.
我今天过得很愉快。
I’ve had a wonderful day.
我决定邀请一个人来这里住。
I’ve decided to invite someone to stay here.
– 什么? – 我想他会喜欢这儿的。
– What? – I think he’ll like it.
– 谁? – 威尔金斯。
– Who? – Wilkins.
– 好吗,那是你的名字。 – 也是他的。
– Well, that’s your name. – And his.
一个亲戚?
A relation?
丈夫。
A husband.
我以为你是个战争遗孀。
I thought you were a war widow.
为什么?
Why?
周围有很多这样的人。
There are so many of them about.
我们在伦敦的时候
When we were in London,
说好了每人可以邀请一位客人的,对吗?
we agreed we could invite one guest each, didn’t we?
我不记得了。
I don’t remember.
我记得,但是你居然真要这么做。
I do, but it’s incredible you should want to.
我以为你组织这次活动是为了远离朋友…
I thought the whole idea was to get away from friends–
– 还有丈夫。- 还有亲戚。
– ROSE: And husbands. – And family affection.
也可能缺乏亲情。
And lack of family affection.
– 是啊。 – 其实也没那么糟。(一个人的话)有喘息的空间。
– Really. – It wouldn’t be so bad. It would give a person room to breathe.
不。那太可怕了,就像没穿衣服一样。
No. It would be terrible, like having no clothes on.
– 我喜欢。- 真的吗?
– I like that. – Really!
感觉非常好,抛开一切。
It’s a good feeling, getting rid of things.
但是光着身子太冷了…
But it’s so cold having nothing on…
而且还知道你再也穿不上了。
and knowing that you’ll never have anything on again.
你会感觉越来越冷,
You’re going to get colder and colder
直到最后,你死了。
until, at last, you die of it.
这就是和一个不爱你的人
That’s what it’s like living with someone
一起生活的感觉。
who doesn’t love you.
好吧,能把奶油递给我吗?
Well, would you pass me the cream?
但他不爱你吗?
CAROLINE: But doesn’t he love you?
梅勒什?他没表现出来。
LOTTY: Mellersh? He shows no signs of it.
– 味道真好。- 哦,真的吗?
– CAROLINE: Delicious. – MRS. FISHER: Oh, really.
我觉得那种滋味不好。
I didn’t think it was delicious.
我很难受,
I was miserable,
然而今天,我感觉很好。
and then, today, I got well.
把他拒之门外,我是不会开心的。
I can’t ever be happy shutting him out.
我要分享。
I must share.
现在我完全知道《被祝福的达莫塞拉》是什么感觉了。
注:诗人但丁·加百利·罗塞蒂的代表作
Now I know exactly what the blessed Damozel felt like.
谁是被祝福的达莫塞拉?
Who’s the blessed Damozel?
是首诗。我借你一本。
It’s a poem. I’ll lend you a copy.
千万别。
Please, don’t.
作者是罗塞蒂先生(英国画家兼诗人),虽然并不是所有人都想要,
And the author, Mr. Rosetti, though not all one would wish,
但他经常被邀请到我父亲的家里。
was frequently invited to my father’s house.
对你来说太闹心了。
How terrible for you.
这就是我母亲一直在干的事,
That’s what my mother’s always doing,
邀请作家。我讨厌作家,你呢?
inviting authors. I hate authors, don’t you?
我吗?
Me?
我还行,有时候吧。
Well, sometimes.
他们要是不写书,我才不会关注他们呢。
I wouldn’t mind them if they didn’t write books.
继续聊梅勒什。
Go on about Mellersh.
哦,对啊。
Oh, really.
好吧,都是因为这些床。
Well, it’s all these beds.
八张床,只有四个人,好尴尬啊。
Eight beds and only four people. That’s dreadful.
我想让罗丝也邀请她丈夫来。
I want Rose to invite her husband here, too.
– 是吗? – 是的!
– Really. – Really!
对不起。
Sorry.
你应该知道,
You do realize, of course,
这房♥子里只有一间能用的卧室。
that there is only one spare bedroom in the house.
一间?其它的谁住着?
One? Who’s in all the others?
我们。
We are.
这有六个房♥间。我们用了四间。
There are six rooms. We have four.
弗朗西斯卡用了第五间,第六间是空的。
Francesca has the fifth, and the sixth is empty.
哦,亲爱的,亲爱的。
Oh, dear. Oh, dear.
我是爱梅勒什,
I want to love Mellersh,
但不一定代表每晚都和他在一起。
but not necessarily spend every night with him.
我要把他安置在哪里呢?
Where am I going to put him?
一个房♥间对他来说不够吗?
Isn’t one room enough for him?
够,但是你们想邀请的人
Yes, but there won’t be room left
就没有位置了。
for anybody that you may want to invite here.
好吧,我不需要。
Well, I shan’t want to.
不需要?
No?
萝丝不算。
And Rose doesn’t count.
她肯定和她丈夫一起住。
She’d want to share her room with her husband.
她浑身上下都写着呢。
It’s written all over her.
– 洛蒂! – 真是的。
– Lotty! – Really.
真是的啥啊?
Really, what?
好吧,你真的打算
Well, really, am I to understand
把唯一一间空卧室
you propose to reserve the only spare bedroom
留给你的家人吗?
for the exclusive use of your family?
梅勒什不是我的家人。他是我的丈夫。
Mellersh isn’t my family. He’s my husband.
好吧,既然没人想要这个房♥间,
Well, as nobody seems to want the room,
– 它就归梅勒什了。 – 我有个朋友。
– Mellersh must have it. – I have a friend.
凯特 兰茉莉
Kate Lumley.
也许你认识她?
Perhaps you know her?
我想邀请她和我一起。
I wish to invite her to join me.
那就没梅勒什啥事了。
That settles Mellersh, then.
哦。
Oh.
恐怕你要失望了,洛蒂。
Afraid you’re in for it, Lotty.
当然,除非他压根儿就不能来。
Unless, of course, he can’t come.

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!