反正那么闹心
and us being so miserable.
简单问一下也无妨,对吧?
There’s no harm in simply asking about it, is there?
你好,亲爱的,还等我呢。
Hello, my dear. You waited up.
我想和你谈谈,弗雷德里克
I want to talk to you, Fredrick.
我给你做了点吃的。
I’ve made you something.
谢谢你!我在招待会上搞多了。
Thank you. I had enough at the reception.
嗯,看得出来。
Yes, I can see.
毕竟,这是为了我的书。
After all, it was for my book.
你应该在场的,亲爱的。我都想你了。
You should have been there, my dear. I missed you.
– 我看未必。 – 当然想了。
– I wonder. – Of course, I did.
我想起了我们在维也纳。
I thought about us in Vienna.
你还记得维也纳吗?
Do you remember Vienna?
也许是布拉格?
Or was it Prague?
无关紧要。
It doesn’t matter.
黄金法则是,
The golden rule is,
假如你已经掉坑里了,就别再往下刨了。
if you’ve got yourself in a hole, stop digging.
喝你的牛奶,弗雷德里克。它会使你的胃舒服些。
Drink your milk, Frederick. It’ll settle your stomach.
你觉得怎么样?
What do you think?
– 人们好像都喜欢看啊。 – 弗雷德里克……
– People seem to like it. – ROSE: Frederick…
没有人应该写一本上帝不喜欢读的书。
no one should ever write a book God wouldn’t like to read.
我靠这个吃饭啊。
It’s the way I earn a living.
因为堕落女人的不道德。
Out of the immorality of fallen women.
他们都死了。
They are dead.
原罪永远不死,弗雷德里克。
Sin never dies, Frederick.
这是一个相当令人沮丧的想法。
That’s rather a depressing thought.
不管怎样,我知道你的观点,
Anyway, I know your views,
所以我一直都很小心。
so I’ve always been very careful.
你嫁给了弗雷德里克·阿布斯♥诺♥特,一位绅士。
You are married to Frederick Arbuthnot, gentleman.
杰拉德·阿伦德尔写的这本书,其他的书也是。
Gerald Arundel wrote this and all the others.
没人知道这是个笔名。
Nobody knows it’s a pseudonym.
上帝知道。
God knows.
上帝一定知道很多事,为什么他没啥反应呢?
God must know an awful lot. Why doesn’t he do something?
弗雷德里克,我想去度假
Frederick, I’m thinking of taking a holiday
今年春天和一个朋友去意大利。
in Italy this spring with a friend.
好主意。
It’s a splendid idea.
是的,我就知道你会这么说。
Yes, that’s what I thought you’d say.
这正是你需要的。
It’s just what you need.
至于费用吗……
And as for the money–
我会用我自己的,弗雷德里克。
I shall be using my own, Frederick.
你只是知会我一声。
You only have to ask.
事实上,不碍什么事。
Actually, it all works out rather well
因为我要出去宣传我的书
because I shall be out and about promoting my book.
当然啦,我要开始下一本了——
And of course, I shall be starting the next one–
《狄奥多拉,奴隶公主》
Theodora, the slave princess.
你觉得我们应该继续吗?
Do you think we should go on with this?
60英镑啊,洛蒂。
Sixty pounds, Lotty.
60英镑,加上车费、还有
That’s 60 pounds plus fares, plus expenses
买♥♥食物和其它的。
for food and such.
我们可以用这些钱为穷♥人♥买♥♥很多靴子。
We could buy great many boots for the poor with that money.
我们可以登广♥告♥再邀请两位女士加入。
We could advertise for two ladies to join us.
这样的话,加上其他费用,每个只需要15英镑。
That way it would only cost 15 pounds each plus expenses.
这样有点儿不地道吧。
There’s something immoral about all this.
哦,不,不了,谢谢。不用了。
Oh, no. No, thank you. No.
对不起,布里格斯先生。
Excuse me, Mr. Briggs.
我们是来咨♥询♥你关于租…
We’ve come in answer to your letter about renting…
意大利城♥堡♥的事。
the castle in Italy.
哦,请原谅。
Oh, I do beg your pardon.
实在抱歉。请进,女士们。
I am very sorry. Do come in, ladies.
嗯。请原谅。
Um. Excuse me.
很抱歉弄得这么乱。
Uh, I’m very sorry about the mess.
我过几天就要走了。呃,忙生意,恐怕…
I’m off in a couple of days. Uh, business, I’m afraid…
要去德国,法国,还有意大利
to Germany, uh, France, and Italy.
这是我的名片。
Here’s my card.
我真正的爱好是…双簧管。
But my real love is the, uh… Oboe.
你玩乐器吗?
Do you play anything?
钢琴。
The pianoforte.
哦。
Oh.
这是一张歌♥剧票,布里格斯先生。
That’s a ticket to the opera, Mr. Briggs.
真不好意思。
I do beg your pardon.
我在学校的时候吹过长笛。
I played the flute when I was at school.
我一直认为自己是一个会吹笛子的人。
I’ve always thought of myself as a flutey kind of person.
布里格斯先生……60磅吗?
Mr. Briggs… 60 pounds?
哦,现金啊。嗯,阿布斯♥诺♥特夫人
Oh, in cash. Well, uh, Mrs. Arbuthnot,
支票比较常见,但是…
checks are more usual, but…
不管怎样,我发财了,你高兴了。
however, I’m richer, and you’re happier.
我得了钱,而你,拥有了圣塞尔瓦托,
And, uh, I’ve got the money, and you’ve got San Salvatore,
并且我想我知道什么才是最好的。
and I think I know which is best.
那么
Well, um…
现在,来交代一下细节。
now, here are all the details.
对了,这是一些…
Yes, there we are. Plus…
照片。给你。
photographs. There we are.
还有备用钥匙…我会给你一张收据。
And the spare key… and I’ll give you a receipt.
你的,嗯…
Your, um…
你丈夫和你一起去吗,阿布斯♥诺♥特太太?
Your husband is going with you, Mrs. Arbuthnot?

No.
不去,对不起。
No, I’m– I’m sorry.
我不该…我能理解…嗯…
I’d no right to– I do understand… uh…
伤心时刻…
sad times…
战争…
the war…
谢谢你,布里格斯先生。
Thank you, Mr. Briggs.
好的,我觉得你在圣塞尔瓦托会很适应的。
Well, I think you’ll fit in very well at San Salvatore.
那儿的墙上有几幅你的肖像。
There are several portraits of you on the walls.
我的肖像?
Portraits of me?
圣母像……和你一模一样,阿布斯♥诺♥特夫人。
Madonnas… exactly like you, Mrs. Arbuthnot.
她们看起来愁眉苦脸的吗?
Are they looking disappointed?
和平常的没什么两样。
No more than usual.
萝丝。
Rose.
萝丝,我们搞定了!
Rose, we’ve done it!
我们搞定了!
We’ve done it!
最起码应该有几百人会争抢
You would’ve thought that hundreds would have jumped
在圣萨尔瓦多
at the chance of sharing a month’s peace and quiet
共享一个月和平与宁静的机会。
in San Salvatore.
我不明白为什么只有两个人回复。
I can’t understand why we’ve only had two replies.
这下可选择的不多了。
It doesn’t leave us much choice.
这些人我都认识,你们知道吗。
I knew them all, you know.
亲爱的阿尔弗雷德·丁尼生(英国维多利亚时代最受欢迎、最具特色的诗人),
Dear Alfred Tennyson, who pulled my pigtails
他扯着我的小辫子逗我说它们太长了。
and said they were too long.
那是我坐在卡莱尔先生的膝盖上。(苏格兰哲学家,评论家、讽刺作家、历史学家)
And I sat on Mr. Carlyle’s knee.
哦,他皱起了眉头。
Oh, how he scowled.
我是你们假期的最佳分享者,阿布斯♥诺♥特太太。
I’m a perfect sharer of your holiday, Mrs. Arbuthnot.
我唯一想做的就是坐在阴凉处,
All I wish to do is sit in the shade
回忆美好的时光和美好的人。
and remember better times and better men.
我也很喜欢花
I’m very fond of flowers, too,
根据你在广♥告♥里告诉我的,
and from what you tell me in your advertisement,
圣塞尔瓦托一定完美。
San Salvatore will be perfect.
我记得和我父亲在box hill过了一个周末。
I remember spending a weekend with my father at box hill.
谁住过box hill?
Who lived at box hill?
乔治·梅瑞狄斯(英国维多利亚时代的小说家、诗人)…
George Meredith…
小说家。
The novelist.
你认识济慈(英国浪漫派诗人)吗?
Did you know Keats?
济慈?
Keats?
不,不认识,
No, I didn’t,
我也不认识莎士比亚或乔叟(英国小说家、诗人)。
and I didn’t know Shakespeare or Chaucer either.
哦,不,当然不是。只是…
Oh, no, of course not. It’s just that, um…
只是他们是不朽的,不是吗?
well, it’s just that they’re immortal, aren’t they?
我一直认为不朽就是…嗯,嗯…
And I’ve always thought of immortals as being…
就是永生——没有死去——
um, well…Immortal– Not having died–
我是说,他们活着,但他们却死了……
I mean, they’re alive, but they’re dead…
可是——可是又活着。怪怪的。
And– And alive. It’s– It’s odd.
非常怪。
Very odd.

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!