我以为你是个寡妇。
I thought you were a widow.
不。为什么?
No. Why?
不,我以为…
Well, no, I thought, um…
好吧,很多女人似乎……
Well, so many women seem to be…
弗雷德里克,这是布里格斯先生,这座城♥堡♥的主人。
Frederick, this is Mr. Briggs. He owns the castle.
你好。
How do you do?
嗯,是的。哦,你…嗯…
Well, yes. Oh, how do–Well, um…
别耽搁了。
We’d better go on.
哦…来吧。
Oh… come on.
我们可不能吃饭迟到。
We mustn’t be late for dinner.
不像卡罗琳。
Not like Caroline.
– 卡罗琳? – 她总是迟到。
– Caroline? – She’s always late.
卡罗琳 戴斯特小姐。她是我的一个朋友。
Lady Caroline Dester. She’s one of my friends.
你还好吧?亲爱的?
Are you all right, dear?
好得不得了。
Never better.
当然,费舍尔太太,如果一个人的
Of course, Mrs. Fisher, It would be undoubtedly best
外表和给人的感觉相匹配,那最好不过了,
if one’s outward appearance and one’s feelings matched,
但是往往不是这样的。
but so often they don’t.
一个人不可能拥有一切。
One can’t have everything.
例如,我…
I, for example…
此刻我感到快乐…
am at the moment feeling happy…
甚至很幸福,但我表现出来了吗?
Joyful, even– But do I show it?
我始终跟萝丝说你会来的,对吧,萝丝?
I kept telling Rose you’d come, didn’t I, Rose?
你是说过。
You did.
我不相信,但你真来了。
I didn’t believe it, but here you are.
你是对的,洛蒂。这个地方。
You’re right, Lotty. It’s this place.
满满的爱。
– It’s a tub of love.
– 是的。- 什么?
– It is. – What?
满满的爱。
A tub of love.
哦,这位是卡罗琳。
Ah, this is Caroline.
我是弗雷德里克·阿布斯♥诺♥特…弗雷德里克·阿布斯♥诺♥特。
I’m Frederick Arbuthnot– Frederick Arbuthnot.
我叫弗雷德里克·阿布斯♥诺♥特。我是萝丝的丈夫。
My name’s Frederick Arbuthnot. I’m Rose’s husband.
我刚好过来看她。对,对,对。嗯。
I’ve just come down to see her. Yes, yes, yes. Hmm.
多好啊。
How nice.
你来的第一个晚上我就迟到了。
And I’m late on your very first evening.
原谅我。
Do forgive me.
她漂亮吧?
Isn’t she beautiful?
因为爱…
Love…
是的。
Yes.
你知道,相爱人儿厮守
You know, it’s a great thing
是一件很棒的事情。
to get on with one’s loving…
千万别浪费光阴。
and not to waste time.
我想你觉得
I suppose you think
萝丝的丈夫只是一个有着红脸蛋的
Rose’s husband is just a middle-aged, red-faced,
普通中年男人。
rather ordinary man.
他可不是。
He isn’t.
– 他不是吗? – 不是。
– Isn’t he? – No.
萝丝明白着呢。
Rose sees through all that.
她能看到我们看不到的东西,因为她爱他。
She sees what we can’t see because she loves him.
哦,亲爱的洛蒂,
Oh, dear Lotty,
我们要永远永远做朋友。
We must be friends forever and forever.
哦!
Oh!
谢谢你没有…呃…
Thank you for not, uh…
我不明白你的意思,阿布斯♥诺♥特先生。
I don’t know what you mean, Mr. Arbuthnot.
我想萝丝在等你呢。
I think Rose is waiting for you.
弗雷德里克,你的书怎么样了?
Frederick, how’s your book going?
– 我的书? – 嗯。
– My book? – Mmm.
听起来令人兴奋啊。
It sounds exciting.
西奥,奴隶王子。
Theo, the slave prince.
是《狄奥多拉,奴隶公主》…
Theodora, the slave princess…
先放放。
can wait.
哦,你好。是哪位?
Oh, hello. Who’s that?
– 是我,卡罗琳·戴斯特 – 啊。
– It’s me– Caroline Dester. – Ah.
– 我希望我没有打扰你。 – 哦,没有。
– I hope I’m not disturbing you. – Oh, no, no.
请原谅。
Forgive me.
我不禁注意到你看起来很痛苦。
I couldn’t help noticing how miserable you seemed.
是因为阿布斯♥诺♥特先生的突然到来吗?
Was it the unexpected arrival of Mr. Arbuthnot?
嗯,是的。
Uh, yes.
我以为阿布斯特先生已经死了。
I thought Mr. Arbuthnot had died.
– (战争)死了很多人。 – 是的。那么多。
– Well, so many men died. – Yes. So many.
是的,所以,嗯…
Yes. It’s, um…
好吧,你可能没注意到,其实我眼神很差。
well, you may not have noticed, but I’m rather shortsighted.
– 真的吗? – 好吧,战争。
– Indeed? – Well, the war.
哦…
Oh…
带给你痛苦吗?
Does it give you any pain?
不,不。绝对不是。
On, no, no. Absolutely not.
没什么,
Nothing to it at all,
但…这确实意味着我从来没有
but it– It does rather mean I never get a…
好好地观察过别人,你懂的。
good look at people, you know.
他们似乎都…不知怎么的都相当模糊。 – 啊。
They all seem – rather hazy somehow. – Ah.
我倾向于通过声音来感知别人,
I tend to judge people by their voices,
你知道的,内在的东西,
you know, the inside person,
在我看来,阿布斯♥诺♥特太太…
and it did rather seem to me that Mrs. Arbuthnot was…
有内秀。
wonderful– Inside.
内秀?是啊。
Wonderful inside? Yes.
这很重要。
That’s important.
是的。
Yes.
哦,见鬼。
Oh, what the devil.
这样的夜晚太美了,不应该悲伤。
It’s too beautiful a night to be miserable.
– 虽然我错过了星星。 – 不!
– Though I do miss the stars. – No!
对不起。
Sorry.
我得抓住你。
I had to grab you.
我所有已经不在世了的朋友
All my dead friends
今晚似乎都不值得重温。
don’t seem worth reading tonight.
他们总是说着相同的事…
They always say the same things–
都是好事,但总是一成不变。
Good things, but always the same.
它们曾是——它们是——伟大的。
They were– They are– Great.
但是他们都有一个很糟糕的地方,
But they have one terrible disadvantage–
他们都死了。
They’re all dead.
我对于死去的已经厌倦了。
I’m tired of the dead.
我想要活着的。
I want the living.
谢谢你,亲爱的。
Thank you, my dear.
我有点伤感。
I was feeling a little melancholy.
其他人呢?
Where are the others?
他们似乎都成双成对了,费舍尔太太。
They all seem to have paired off, Mrs. Fisher.
人们好像只有
It does seem that
成双成对才会快乐。
people can only be happy in pairs.
像各种各样的鞋子。
All sorts of pairs.
那你和我就是一对了,费舍尔太太。
Then you and I will be a pair, Mrs. Fisher.
我们会成为非常好的朋友。
We’re going to be very good friends.
– 希望如此,洛蒂。 – 我懂的。
– I hope so, Lotty. – I see it.
我们会的。
Then we will be.
其他人到底去哪儿了?
Where exactly are the others?
小玫和小瑰在玫瑰园里恋爱呢。
Well, the Roses are in love in the rose garden.
小玫和小瑰?
The Roses?
亲爱的,为什么不叫他们阿布斯♥诺♥特两口子呢?
Why not call them the Arbuthnots, my dear?
好吧,梅勒什。阿布斯♥诺♥特两口子。
Very well, Mellersh. The Arbuthnots.
– 还有卡罗琳那对… – 谁?
And the Carolines– MELLERSH: The who?
哦,布里格斯两口子,好吧。
Oh, the Briggses, then.
– 布里格斯两口子?哦,你疯了吧?
– The Briggses? Oh, are you mad?
他们在今天之前连面都没见过。
They never set eyes on each other before today.
这就是为什么他们能够进一步。
That’s why they’re able to go ahead.
进一步?
Go ahead?
没错,梅勒什。
It’s no use, Mellersh.
我看好他们是布里格斯两口子。
I see them as the Briggses.
你过来吗,亲爱的?
You coming, my dear?
要离开了,真让人伤感。
It’s so sad to leave here.
洛蒂,洛蒂,等一下,亲爱的。
Lotty, Lotty, just a moment, my dear.
– 你先走吧。- 你确定吗?
– You go on. – Are you sure?
你先走,我马上就来。
You go on ahead, and I’ll join you presently.

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!