居然纠结这种鸡毛蒜皮的小事
You know, of all the things to worry about.
楚巴卡没有裤子
The Wookiee has no pants.”
我们比计划时间晚了两周
I think we were two weeks over schedule.
这时 福克斯的董事会开始恐慌了…
At that point, the board of directors at Fox started to panic…
告诉艾伦必须尽快完成这部电影
and tell Alan Ladd,Jr. that he had to shut that film down regardless.
所以他来找我说…
So he came to me and said…
“听着 你必须在下周完成…
”Look, you’ve gotta finish in the next week…
因为我得交差 开会时不能说还在拍摄”
because I’ve got another board meeting, and I can’t say we’re still shooting.”
我一直打电♥话♥给伦敦工作室说:”这太疯狂了
I kept phoning their production department saying, ”This is insane.
如果再增加一幕 又得推迟一周才能完成”
If we put on a second crew, it costs us more than going an extra week.”
他们说:”没关系 工作室…
They said, ”It doesn’t matter. The studio’s opinion…
精益求精的计划 不能用金钱来衡量”
is that the day deadline is more important than the money you spend.”
最后一幕是以极快的速度拍摄的
The final scenes were filmed at breakneck speed…
卢卡斯疯狂地骑着自行车…
with Lucas frantically bicycling…
从一个摄影棚到另一个
from one soundstage to another.
乔治默默遭受痛苦 却无人问津
I think George suffered a lot more than I was aware of at the time.
那时我专注于工作 没注意到
But I was very focused on what I was doing…
这是部工程浩大的电影 起早贪黑 兢兢业业
’cause this was a very busy movie, just nonstop dawn to dusk.
最后我们讨论过…
We did go over at the end…
将整部电影分成三部分
and we split into three units right at the end.
加里拍摄了第二部分
Gary directed the second unit…
我有幸拍摄了”星战”的第三部分
and I had the distinction of directing the third unit of Star Wars.
我拍的是R2-D2第三只脚下落的特写镜头
My shots were things like close-up of R2-D2’s third foot going down.
没有引人注目的 就这样平淡的结束
Nothing too dramatic. But that’s how we finished it.
来吧
Come on.
好的 可以了
Okay, cut. Time up. Cut.
希望老头破坏了磁力牵引光束 我们就能迅速离去
I hope that old man got the tractor beam down, or this is gonna be a short trip.
发动!
Hit it!
福克斯最初计划在1976年圣诞节发行”星战”
Fox originally slated Star Wars for a Christmas release in 1976.
笨蛋
Schmuck.
场景463号♥ 第1次
463, take one.
但由于拍摄难度大 进度严重落后于原计划
But the diffiicult shoot had put the film severely behind schedule.
开拍
Action.
我们快离开这里? -吼一声
Didn’t we just leave this party? -Give us a growl.
你们被什么耽误了? -遇到些老朋友
What kept you? -We ran into some old friends.
船没事吧? -看上去不错 只要能上得去
Is the ship all right? -Seems okay, if we can get to it.
希望老头消除了磁力牵引光束
I just hope the old man got the tractor beam out of commission.
看 -现在机会来了 走吧!
Look. -Now’s our chance. Go!
只剩六个月了…
With barely six months to go…
按时交付项目几乎是不可能的
there was almost no chance of delivering the project on time.
好 停
Okay, cut.
我刚拍完这部电影 基本上已经很累了…
I hadjust finished shooting the movie, and I was exhausted, basically…
但我必须从有始有终 没有休息
but I had to go right from the shooting into the finishing without a break.
时刻担心着最后期限…
Already anxious about meeting his deadline…
那年春天 卢卡斯看到自己作品初次公映时 他惊呆了
Lucas was shocked when he saw the first assembly ofhis edited film that spring.
先生 发动机正在失去动力!
Sir, the groiters are losing power!
我会解决的
All right. I’ll get it.
“星战”的初剪版是彻头彻尾的灾难
The first cut of Star Wars was an unmitigated disaster.
怎么样? -是的 好多了
How’s that? -Yes, that’s much better.
我觉得影片素材的拼接一团糟
I’d started to see things cut together. I wasn’t happy with it.
我会在周末过来 自己剪辑电影
I’d come in on weekends, and I’d recut the film on my own.
停
Cut.
剪辑师不听从我的建议
And I tried to get the editor to cut it my way…
所以我不得不辞退他
and he didn’t really want to, and so I had to let the editor go.
因此我进度落后了
So I had no editor. I was behind schedule.
我得赶紧看完整部电影
I had to race to finish the movie.
场景177号♥ 第2次
1 77, take two.
卢卡斯意识到他唯一的希望就是从零开始
Lucas realized his only hope was to start from scratch.
我是C-3PO仿人类机器人
And I am C-3PO, human-cyborg relations.
这是我的搭档 R2-D2
And this is my counterpart, R2-D2.
哦 你好 -可以 停
Oh, hello. -Okay, cut.
为了重新剪辑电影 他聘请了保罗•赫希和理查德•周
To recut the movie, he hired Paul Hirsch and Richard Chew…
有好几个月让和马丁•斯科塞斯
and for several months he was able to borrow his wife, Marcia…
一起剪辑”纽约,纽约”的妻子玛西亚来帮忙
who was editing New York, New York with Martin Scorsese.
场景250号♥ 第7次
Slate 250, take seven.
开拍
Action.
当然 你必须做你认为对的事
You must do what you feel is right, of course.
当时我并不看好
Right now I don’t feel too good.
“星战”的旧版剪辑…
On Star Wars, the trio’s first task…
让这部电影极度缺乏活力和节奏
was to give the film an energy and pace that was sorely lacking.
停
Cut.
使用传统老派的剪辑方式 平平无奇…
It was cut in a very traditional manner of just playing things out in masters…
然后进行渲染…
and then going into the coverage…
仅凭叙事氛围来剪辑拼接…
and let the actors’rhythms dictate the cuts…
而不是通过…
rather than having the cuts…
剪辑划分场景 来驱动剧情
kind of drive the rhythm of the scenes.
场景211号♥ 第3次 导轨
21 1 , take three. Guide track.
开拍!
Action!
因此 可以看到影片中…
So consequently, there wasn’t any excitement…
拼接后的连续镜头十分无趣
in the footage the way that it had been put together.
停
Cut.
理查德和我会分工合作
Richard and I would leapfrog.
两人同时补拍不同的片段
If he was on reel one, I would grab reel two.
谁完成了 就进入到下一阶段
Whoever finished that would grab reel three and so forth.
通常补拍最多的是最后几帧
We used shots up until the very last frame.
停 -我能再拍一次吗?
Cut. -Can I take another one?
一般尾帧都是快速移♥动♥的镜头
Very often, the very next frame would be the flash of the camera stop.
例如 有一个沙民的镜头…
For instance, there’s a shot of one of the Sandpeople…
他把卢克击倒 然后把武器举过头顶
who knocks Luke down, and then he holds his weapon up over his head.
这个片尾需要反复拍摄多次 十分累人
He did it once. We rocked it back and forth so he did it a number of times.
最后看上去还可以接受…
The only things that are there is what’s presentable…
但幕后却一团糟
and everything behind the scenes is a mess.
圣诞节前还没准备好…
With no chance ofbeing ready by Christmas…
新的上映日期定在1977年夏天
a new release date was set for summer, 1977.
让人怀疑这部电影是否能如期上映
Some doubted that the movie would ever reach theaters.
尽管剪辑的事情很糟心…
But as bad as things had been with the editing…
工业光魔的情况也不容乐观
the situation at ILM was even worse.
这家公♥司♥试图创造出前所未有的特效
The company was trying to create effects that had never been done before.
他们知道自己的目标…
They knew what they wanted to accomplish…
却没有任何实质上的作为
but they had yet to create anything usable for the film.
他们花了一半的预算…
They had spent half their budget…
看了四次 没有一次是我接受的
and ultimately I had about four shots, none of which I would accept.
他们就是做不好 一筹莫展
They were just not good. That was a low point.
没有特效就没有宇宙飞船翱翔的镜头
I had no special effects. I didn’t know if we were gonna get the ships to work.
那是一段非常绝望的时期
So it was a pretty desperate time.
我们花了一半的预算来建造摄影控制系统…
And we’d spent half the budget building the motion-control cameras…
设置在工作室
and setting the shop up.
可以说 这是场灾难
It was a disaster to say the least.
没有工厂加工原材料…
The factory has to be built…
供应链就会断裂 巧妇难为无米之炊
before the first can of peas can be sent to the supermarket.
大概有一年多…
And I think it was a year or more…
没有胶卷出来就没有一个镜头能完成
without any film coming out, without one shot being finished.
因为他们在制♥造♥光学打印机和镜头
‘Cause they were building optical printers and cameras.
我们在做模型
We were building models.
乔治对工作进展很失望
I know that George was disappointed in the work…
我也为此感到愧疚
and I’m disappointed that he was disappointed.
但有些东西是有主观性的
But there’s a certain subjectivity to some of that stuff.
我希望他能乐观些 最终我释怀了…
I wish he’d been happier, but I also think that ultimately…
尽职尽责就行了
the work did the job.
当后期特效制♥作♥出现问题的消息传到公♥司♥时…
When word of the postproduction problems reached the Fox board of directors…
董事会已经受够了乔治•卢卡斯和那部”科学电影”
they decided they’d had enough of George Lucas and ”that science movie. ”
我刚刚参加了一次执行委员会会议…
I just sat in one executive committee meeting…
他们把我向火坑里推
where they’re hauling me over the coals.
我只能说”这是有史以来最棒的电影”
I just said, ”It’s the greatest picture ever made.”
对话到此结束
That ended the conversation.
他们就差说:”嗯 你真蠢 你错了…
They were afraid to say, ”Well,you’re stupid and you’re wrong…
下午五点前离开这栋楼 你被炒了”
and we want you out of this building by 5:00 this afternoon. ”
还有一些紧张的时刻
There were some tense moments there.
初版剪辑令人失望…
With the dismal early cut of the film…
工业光魔陷入混乱 压力日益剧增…
ILM in chaos and growing pressure from the studio…