困难的是…
The difficulty is…
创造一种宗教精神概念…
trying to create a religious-spiritual concept…
一种不言而喻 玄之又玄的东西…
that works in a very simple way without heavy exposition…
更不能拉低故事的档次
or without it seeming to pull down the story.
剧本很厚 大约有200页
It got to be a very fat script, about 200 pages.
故事的发展已经无法控制
And the story had gotten away from me.
我唯一能做的就是…
So, the only way I could cope with it was to say…
“把故事分成三部曲 先把第一部拍成电影”
”I’ll take the first third–the first act–and I’ll make that into a movie.”
然后花时间写别的东西 不操之过急
But I’d written all this other stuff. I’d spent a year writing this story.
我想循序渐进的完成剩下的部分…
I said, ”I’m not gonna throw away two thirds of my year…
慢工出细活 尽力而为
and say, ‘This is all I can afford at this point.
这是我唯一能赚到的钱的电影
This is the only money I’m gonna get is to do this one movie.”’
我把它放在架子上 告诉自己无论如何一定要拍完
I put it on the shelf. I said, ”By hook or by crook, I will finish this movie. ”
但”星球大战”的花费并不少
But Star Wars wouldn’t be cheap.
为了让福克斯董事会批准必要的预算…
To get the Fox board of directors to approve the necessary budget…
卢卡斯需要一些戏剧性的东西
Lucas needed something dramatic.
他聘请了曾在波音公♥司♥工作过的拉尔夫•麦考瑞
He hired Ralph McQuarrie, a conceptual design artist who had worked for Boeing.
我看过他的一些设计稿 非常厉害
I’d seen some ofhis paintings. I thought he was brilliant.
我请他帮我画出剧本中的这些场景…
I said, ”I want you to do some paintings of these scenes I’ve done…
这样制片厂就能知道我在说什么了
so that the studio can get a picture of what I’m talking about.”
交出剧本的时候 要有五六幅画…
When I turned in the script, I had about five or six drawings to say…
“这就是它的样子”
”This is what it’s gonna look like. ”
他有一个宏大壮观的视觉概念
He had a concept for a big spectacular visual…
剧本里也没明确写出来
and it didn’t come across in the script.
我通过比例来突出…
So I tried to give it scale…
将小人物和…
juxtaposing the tiny little figures…
伟大壮观的背景并列
with the great, spectacular backgrounds.
乔治说 别担心我们实现不了设计稿
George would say, ”Don’t worry about how we’re going to do it.
我们只是想要一个能够表达场景的蓝图
Wejust want an impression of what the scenes would look like on the screen. ”
麦考瑞的作品赢得了福克斯董事会的支持
McQuarrie’s artwork won over the Fox board of directors…
很快批准了一项800万美元的预算
who soon approved a budget ofjust over $8 million.
他的”星球大战”系列只拍摄了第一部分…
With only the first part ofhis Star Wars saga being made…
卢卡斯也需要考虑未来
Lucas also needed to think about the future.
之前与各大电影公♥司♥打交道的经验告诉他要谨慎行事
But his prior dealings with major studios had taught him to be cautious.
在”美国风情画”上映之前…
When I made the deal for Star Wars…
我就做了”星球大战”这笔交易
originally I made the deal before American Graffiiti had even come out.
当时艾伦•拉德看过”美国风情画”后说”来做个交易”
‘Cause Alan Ladd had seen American Graffiiti and said, ”I’ll make a deal.”
于是他劝我
But he made a very–
那能让你能赚很多的钱 等等
you’re gonna make X number of dollars and this kind of thing.
签了一页备忘录
It was like a one-page memo.
大约一年后 当他们要做电影合同的时候…
When it came up to doing the contract for the film, about a year later…
我知道真正要保护的是未写出的部分
I knew that what I really had to do was to protect the unwritten part–
剧本的其他两部分
the other two parts of the script.
突然间 “美国风情画”上映了…
All of a sudden, Graffiti comes out…
它获得了巨大的成功
and it’s a big huge, smash success.
之后他的经纪人来和我说
So his agent came back and said, ”Hey, look.
这家伙拍了一部非常成功的电影
This guy has made this huge successful movie.
制片人 编剧 导演统共就得二十万美元
Don’t you think we should get more than a couple hundred thousand dollars…
你觉得合理吗?
for writing, directing and producing a movie?”
我回答到他应该得到更多
I said, ”Yeah. I think he should get more. ”
我非常谨慎地表示不想要更多的分成
I was very careful to say, ”I don’t want more money. I don’t want more points.
不想要任何经济上的东西
I don’t want anything financial.
我只想要制♥作♥这些续集的权利
But I do want the right to make these sequels.”
我在做制♥作♥人的时候都会假设…
I was working on the assumption every filmmaker works on…
这部电影将是一场灾难…
which is the film will be a disaster…
它不会被推广 只会搁置
and that it won’t be promoted and it’ll just die a horrible death.
接下来的两部电影将很难再拍摄
And it’ll be very hard to get these next two movies made.
乔治说:”我要做衍生产品展销”
George said, ”I’d like a big slice of the merchandising. ”
在那之前 商业推广还鲜为人知
Up until that time, merchandising had been relatively unknown.
当我接手许可时 我和他说…
When I took over the licensing, I simply said…
我只能做T恤衫 也可以制♥作♥海报…
”I’m gonna be able to make T-shirts. I’m gonna be able to make posters…
我要把这部电影卖♥♥出去 尽管制片厂不愿意
and I’m gonna be able to sell this movie, even though the studio won’t. ”
我设法掌控所有剩下的东西…
So, I managed to get control of pretty much everything that was left over…
制片厂并不关心的东西
that the studio didn’t really care about.
乔治非常有远见 而制片厂不是…
George was enormously farsighted, and the studio wasn’t…
因为他们不知道世界正在改变
because they didn’t know that the world was changing.
而乔治确知道 他改变了产业链
George did know the world was changing. He changed it.
随着”星球大战”合同的完成…
With his Star Wars contract completed…
乔治•卢卡斯需要一支叛军…
George Lucas now needed a rebel force…
去应对电影制♥作♥的挑战
up to the challenge of production.
1975年夏天…
In the summer of 1975…
他创立了电影特效制♥作♥公♥司♥工业光魔
he founded the visual effects company Industrial Light & Magic.
那时候还没有特效制♥作♥公♥司♥
There was no special effects companies in those days…
制片厂的特效部也被解散了
and the studios’special effects department had been disbanded.
部分原因是费用…
Part of that was because of the expense…
还有就是美国人的品味…
and part of it was that the American taste…
当时的文化倾向于写实电影
the culture had gone toward very realistic-looking films.
我们把视觉效果当成一个宏大的实验…
We approached the visual effects as a grand experiment, saying…
和设计建筑模型和商业广♥告♥的人能达成合作吗
”Can we do this with a lot of people who work on architectural models…
即使他们以前从没拍过专题片?
and in commercials and have never made feature films before?”
我们有点像兄弟会…
We were kind of like a weird kind of fraternity…
不寻常的机器摄影狂人
of robotic photography nuts or something like that.
我是说 这是福克斯的一部大♥片♥ 我们在拍广♥告♥
I mean, this was a big movie for Fox. We were doing commercials.
我们都梦想过做一个专题…
We all dreamed about doing a feature…
这就像梦想成真一样
and this was like the dream come true.
“星球大战”的出现对我们来说恰逢其时
So, Star Wars came along atjust the perfect time for us.
我们搬进了范鲁伊斯的一个大仓库
We moved into a big empty warehouse in Van Nuys…
就在范鲁伊斯机场附近 基本上是从零开始的
right near the Van Nuys Airport and basically started from scratch.
在早期时是空的 你可以常常把它当车♥库♥
I mean, it was empty. In the early days, you used to park your car inside.
没有摄像设备 甚至连房♥间都没有
There was no camera equipment, no rooms to speak of.
工业光魔的主管是约翰•迪克斯特拉…
Supervising at ILM was John Dykstra…
曾在道格拉斯•特朗布尔手下工作过的特效摄影师
an effects cameraman who had worked under Douglas Trumbull…
像”宇宙静悄悄”这样的电影
on films like Silent Running.
我主要负责电影的视觉效果
I was essentially to be responsible for doing the visual effects for the film.
我们采用了”MoCo” 这实际上是一个老概念…
We took the concept of motion controle, which is essentially an old concept…
能够通过多个通道复♥制♥摄像机运动…
of being able to duplicate camera motion through more than one pass…
这样就可以创造出电影里的多种元素…
so that you can generate multiple elements of film…
把它连接至电脑 成为一种制♥作♥技巧…
and we made it production-savvy by tying it into a computer…
在那个时候 需要定制的微处理器
which was, at that point, custom-built microprocessors.
当时还没有个人电脑
There were no PCs. You didn’t go buy a PC.
我们从零开始建造
We built them from scratch.
与此同时 摄像系统正在建造中…
At the same time the camera system was being built…
另一个团队开始建造宇宙飞船模型
another team began constructing model spaceships.
我是早期的员工之一 他们有一个很小的艺术部
I was one of the early hires. They had a small art department.
有一些用纸板做的概念模型和模型组件
There were some concept models made out of cardboard and model kit pieces.
乔•约翰斯顿做过的一些…
There were some storyboards and some concept illustrations…
和故事板
that Joe Johnston had done.
有一些是拉尔夫•麦考瑞画的
There were some paintings that Ralph McQuarrie had done.
所有的东西要么来自我的素描…
Everything came either from my sketches…
或者拉尔夫的油画和素描…
or Ralph’s paintings and drawings…
以及可能来自乔治的建议
and any input that George might have.
“星球大战”没有受到太多外部影响
There wasn’t a lot of outside influences on Star Wars.
乔治想让它逼真到能看到铆钉…
George wanted it to look like you could actually see the rivets…
可以看到它制♥作♥的是如此细腻
so you could see the logic ofhow it was made.
我最初是被雇来研究死星的
I was originally hired to work on the Death Star…
40英尺的
the 40 foot by–
40×80英尺或40×60英尺之类的
What was it? 40-by-80 feet or 40-by-60 feet or something like that.
没人想干这份活 因为你得长时间跪在地上
Nobody wanted thejob, because you had to spend a lot of time on your knees.
每个人都在不同的工种或技术上交叉训练
Everybody sort of cross-trained and worked in different techniques.
这与好莱坞工会的…
That was different than the Hollywood system…
严格规定不同
that had very strict union rules.
在那这样做是不可能的…
But there was no way this work could be done that way…
或者说好莱坞工会无法理解我们
or no way that the Hollywood unions could understand what we were doing.
随着前期工作获得进展…
With preproduction gaining momentum…
卢卡斯便开始铸造他的银河作品
Lucas next began the process of casting his galactic opus.
和他的朋友布莱恩•德•帕尔玛一起试镜
He shared the audition stage with his friend, Brian De Palma…
帕尔玛正在和编剧为”魔女嘉莉”寻找演员
who was seeking actors for the Stephen King shocker Carrie.
我们同时在拍这些电影和选角…
We were both making these movies and casting at the same time…
所以我们决定共同努力
so we decided to combine our efforts.
我需要一些从未拍过电影的年轻演员…
I’ve made movies with very young people that have no track record…