But the idea was to discourage the Ruskies from any hope
消灭华盛顿和你
they could knock out Washington, and yourself , as part of a sneak attack
因此他们不可能因为我们的指示与命令未达而逃过报复
and escape retaliation because of lack of proper command and control.
一旦他们到临界安全点
I assume the planes will returnautomatically once
飞机会自动返航吗
they reach their fail-safe points.
不会
I’m afraid not.
当继续前进命令发出时他们已经处在临界安全点
The planes were holding at their fail-safe points when the go code was issued.
一旦他们越过临界安全点
Once they fly beyond fail-safe,
他们就不需要第二个继续前进的命令
they do not require a second order to proceed.
就只有一直冲向目标
They will continue until they reach their target.
为什么你不能撤回继续前进的命令呢
Then why haven’t you radioed the planes, countermanding the go code?
-我们联络不上飞机 -为什么
-We’re unable to communicate with any of the aircraft. -Why?
你可能会回想起
As you may recall, sir
R计划一部分包括
one of the provisions of Plan R provides
一旦继续前进的命令发出
that once the go code is received
机内电台转换成
the normal S.S.B. Radios in the aircraft are switched into
一个编码装置
a special coded device
据我所知是CRM1♥1♥4♥
which I believe is designated as C.R.M. 1♥1♥4♥.
为了防止敌人发出假命令
In order to prevent the enemy from issuing fake or confusing orders
CRM设计成不再接受任何信♥号♥♥
C.R.M. 1♥1♥4♥ is designed not to receive at all
除非信息前面加上一个三个字母编码的字首
unless the message is proceeded by the correct three-letter code group prefix.
你是在告诉我你不能召回飞机吗
You mean to tell me you will be unable to recall the aircraft?
对
That’s the size of it.
我们正在搜索
However, we are plowing through every possible
三个字母的组合
three-letter combination of the code.
但因有1万7千种排列
But since there are 17,000 permutations
这需要二天半时间
it’s going to take us about two and a half days to transmit them all.
-我们何时进入俄♥国♥雷达区
-How soon will the planes penetrate Russian radar cover?
-大约18分钟
-About 18 minutes from now.
-你与瑞皮有联♥系♥吗
-Are you in contact with General Ripper?
-没有 他关闭了基地
-No, sir. General Ripper sealed off the base and cut off communications.
你如何得到这消息
Where did you get this information?
他签署指令后
General Ripper called Strategic Air Command Headquarters shortly
打过电♥话♥给总部
after he issued the go code.
-我有部份通话的副本可以读给你听
-I have a portion of the conversation transcript if you’d like me to read it.
-读吧
-Read it.
值班军官要瑞皮
The duty officer asked General Ripper to
确认是他签署了指令
confirm the fact that he had issued the go code and he said
他说 “是 已经发出了 没人可以撤回
“Yes, gentlemen, they are on their way in and no one can bring them back.
为了国♥家♥安♥全♥
For the sake of our country and our way of life
我建议派出剩下的空军一等兵
I suggest you get the rest of SAC in after them.
否则我们会被红祸报复所毁灭
Otherwise, we will be totally destroyed by Red retaliation.
我的弟兄们会给你开个好头 一亿四千万吨♥核等量
My boys will give you the best kind of start: 1,400 megatons worth.
现在你不可能叫他们停下
And you sure as hell won’t stop them now.
一起出动 没别的选择
So let’s get going. There’s no other choice.
上帝的旨意 我们会胜 为了和平 避免恐惧
God willing, we will prevail in peace and freedom from fear
健康 通过我们纯洁的自然
and in true health through the purity and essence of our natural
体液
fluids.
上帝保佑你们”
God bless you all. ”
然后他挂了电♥话♥
Then he hung up.
我们正在研究他的最后几句话
We’re still trying to figure out the meaning of that last phrase, sir.
没有什么好研究的那傢伙明显是个精神病
There’s nothing to figure out. This man is obviously a psychotic.
在明白事实之前我还是不下结论
I’d like to hold off judgment until all the facts are in.
图吉德森将军当你实行忠诚测试时
General Turgidson, when you instituted the human reliability tests
你向我保证决不会发生类似的事
you assured me there was no possibility of such a thing ever occurring.
为了一次失误而置疑整个系统
Well, I don’t think it’s fair to condemn a whole program
这不公平
because of a single slipup, sir.
-我要和瑞皮将军通话 -这不可能
-I want to speak to General Ripper on the telephone. -That’s impossible.
我不再对你的
General Turgidson, I am becoming less and less interested in your estimates of
可能性估计感兴趣
what is possible and impossible.
-费斯曼将军 -什么事 长官?
-General Faceman. -Yes, sir?
-在布皮森附近有我们的部队驻防吗
-Are there any army units stationed near Burpelson?
我正在找 先生
I’ll just check, sir.
喂
Hello?
我告诉过你不要往这里打电♥话♥你知道这是什么地方吗
I told you never to call me here. Don’t you know where I am?
好的 宝贝 我不能和你说话 总统先生需要我
Look, baby, I can’t talk to you now. My president needs me.
当然小巴可想和你在一起
Of course Bucky would rather be there with you.
当然那不仅仅是肉体上的我拿你是当人来尊重的
Of course it isn’t only physical. I deeply respect you as a human being.
总有一天我会让你成为巴可图吉德森夫人的
Someday I’m going to make you Mrs. Buck Turgidson.
你回去睡觉 巴可会很快回去
Oh, listen, you go back to sleep. Bucky will be there as soon as he can.
不要忘记祷告
All right. Listen, don’t forget to say your prayers.
第23轰炸机队驻扎在
Apparently, the 23rd Airborne Division is stationed
七英里之外
seven miles away at Alvarado.
费斯曼将军 让他们找到瑞皮将军
General Faceman, I want them to enter the base, locate General Ripper and
让他与我联♥系♥
put him in immediate telephone contact with me.
-是 先生 -总统先生
-Yes, sir. -Mr. President?
我能否建议在警戒状况下
If I may advise. Under a condition red,
基地己关闭
it is standard procedure that the base be sealed off and
并由基地部队防卫的情况下
the base defended by base security troops.
任何强制进攻方
Any force trying to enter would
他们会遭到重大伤亡
certainly encounter heavy casualties.
我的孩子们会在尊重你的防卫队之下
General Turgidson, with all due respect for your defense team my boys can
毫无困难地将他们赶走
brush them aside without too much trouble.
允许的话 我还想说两点
Mr. President, there are one or two points I’d like to make, if I may?
说吧 将军
Go ahead, General.
第一 我们召回843轰炸支队的可能性
One: Our hopes for recalling the 843rd Bomb Wing
很快就会变得很低
are quickly being reduced to a very low order of probability.
第二 15分钟后
Two: In less than 15 minutes from now
俄♥国♥雷达就会发现机群
the Ruskies will be making radar contact with the planes.
第三 他们发现后就会
Three: When they do they will go absolutely
如法炮制尽他们的所能回击
ape and strike back with everything they’ve got.
第四 如果我们不能
Four: If prior to this time we have done nothing to
限制他们的报复
suppress their retaliatory capabilities
我们就会被毁灭
we will suffer virtual annihilation.
第五 另一方面
Five: If, on the other hand
如果我们对他们所有基地发动攻击
we immediately launched an attack on their airfields and missile bases
对我们会有利些
we’d stand a damn good chance of catching them with their pants down.
我们有导弹优势
Hell, we’ve got a five-to-one missile superiority.
可以对每个目标发三枚
We could easily assign three missilesto every target
我们还会绰绰有余
and still have a very effective reserve force for any other contingency.
第六 根据一非官方研究
Six: An unofficial study which we undertook of this eventuality
我们可以消灭他们90%的核能力
indicated that we would destroy 90% of their nuclear capabilities.
这样我们就会取胜
We would therefore prevail
他们的剩余的力量仅能造成很小的平民损失
and suffer only modest and acceptable civilian casualties
剩余力量本身也会功能不全
from their remaining force which would be badly damaged and uncoordinated.
我们的政策是
General, it is the avowed policy of our country
在核战中决不做首攻的一方
never to strike first with nuclear weapons.
瑞皮将军己破坏了这政策
Well, Mr. President, General Ripper has already invalidated that policy.
这不是国家的政策
That was not an act of national policy. There are still alternatives open to us.
总统先生
Mr. President,
我们自己和国家
we are rapidly approaching a moment of truth
正在面临一个事实
both for ourselves as human beings and for the life of our nation.
而事实不会总是令人高兴的 但现在有必要去选择
Truth is not always a pleasant thing. But it is necessary now to make a choice
战后二件令人遗憾
To choose between two admittedly regrettable
然而却无法分辨的事情
but nevertheless distinguishable postwar environments.
一件导致二千万人死亡 一件导致一亿五千万人死亡
One, where 20 million people are killed; the other, 150 people killed.
-你在说大规模屠♥杀♥
-You’re talking about mass murder, General, not war.
-我知道会引起争论
-Mr. President, I’m not saying we wouldn’t get our hair mussed.
但是不要再造成1到2千万人死亡
But I do say no more than 10 to 20 million killed. Tops!
一切取决于瞬间
Depending on the breaks.
我不想成为历史上第二个希♥特♥勒♥
I will not go down in history as the greatest mass murderer since Hitler!
那反而更好
It might be better if you were
该比较在意人♥民♥而不是在史书中的形象
more concerned with the American people than with your image in the history books.
将军 你说的已够多了 谢谢
General Turgidson, I’ve heard quite sufficient from you. Thank you very much.
-总统先生他们的大使在楼上等
-Mr. President, they have the ambassador waiting upstairs.
-很好 有问题吗
-Good. Any difficulty?
-他们说他大发军警的脾气
-He’s having a fit about the M.P.s. That can’t be helped.
-带他到这里来
-Have him brought here straightaway.
俄♥国♥大使
Is that the Russian ambassador?
是的
Yes, it is, General.
能让俄♥国♥大使