您和您妻子
Both you and your wife.
两位演员是真夫妻
如果你刚到好莱坞时在卖♥♥男装
If you were selling menswear when you first got to Hollywood,
你是怎么进入电影行业的
how did you break into films?
有天 他们要求我穿一套他们在销♥售♥的西装
Well, one day, they asked me to pose for a trade journal
为一本行业杂♥志♥拍照
in a suit that they were marketing,
然后就来了个经纪人 跟我签了约
and an agent came and signed me up.
因为你太帅了
Because you’re so handsome.
我还以为他们是看上了我的演技呢
I thought they were excited by my acting talent.
姑娘们 快去换衣服吧
Come on, girls. Get to wardrobe.
我们都想回家了
We all want to go home.
现在你知道我是怎么拍起电影的了
Now you know why I’m in the movies.
你是怎么当上管家的
How did you become a butler?
可没那么风光
Well, it’s a lot less glamorous.
我起初是门童
I got a job as a hallboy.
然后是初级男仆 第一男仆 贴身男仆
Then I was a junior footman, first footman, valet
最终当上了管家
and finally butler.
说起打理宅子 我可是无所不晓 先生
There’s not much I couldn’t tell you about how to run a house, sir.
这就是你和我的区别
See, that’s the difference between you and me.
我半数时候都不知道自己在做什么
I don’t know what I’m doing half the time.
看上去可不像
That’s not what it looks like.
谢谢 你是…
Oh, thank you, Mr….?
巴罗就行 先生
Just Barrow, sir.
好了 盖 我们彩排一下
Right, Guy. Let’s rehearse please.
莫娜 说台词
Myrna, say the line.
我给你留了根木槌
I saved you a mallet.
我一直觉得它们看上去像是打仗用的
I always think they look like instruments of war.
因为本来就是
It’s because they are.
有电♥话♥找你
There’s a telephone call for you.
布洛克先生 说是急事
A Mr. Bullock. He says it’s urgent.
大家休息五分钟
Five minutes, everyone!
楼下闹起来了
There’s a drama going on below.
我上楼时 那个负责人在冲着电♥话♥大喊大叫
The man in charge was shouting down the telephone when I came up.
看来他们拍的电影不对
Apparently, they’re making the wrong sort of film.
还有对的电影吗
Is there a right sort?
我只知道 公众似乎只想看有声电影
Well, all I know is it seems the public only want films that talk.
我以为电影最棒的地方
I should’ve thought the best thing about films
就是听不到呢
is that you can’t hear them.
要是看不见就更好了
Be even better if you couldn’t see them either.
大家都过来
Everybody, gather around, please!
都过来
Everybody!
我们要暂停拍摄
We are suspending production.
我知道
I-I know. I know.
真抱歉带来坏消息
I’m sorry to be the bearer of bad news.
计划定好后 便会联络大家
We’ll contact you all when we’ve finalized our plans.
谢谢
Thank you.
怎么了 发生什么了
What is it? What’s happened?
看来有声片的热度已经不容忽视
Well, it seems the talkies are making too much money to ignore,
而我们拍的是默片 难以回本
while our picture is silent and too expensive to make its costs back,
所以他们想及时止损 中止拍摄
so they want to cut their losses and shut us down.
-太糟了 -对于剧组的人来说
– But how sad. – It is worse than sad
还要更严重
for the men and women working on it.
我们还欠群演工资呢
We still owe our extras back pay,
这下他们还失业了
and now they’re out of a job.
-我说了 -失陪一下
– I told you. I… – Excuse me.
莫娜
Myrna.
他怎么停了
W-Why is he stopping?
据说默片现在不挣钱了
Apparently, silent films aren’t making any money now.
我那晚看到了
I saw it the other night.
影院里几乎是空的
The cinema was almost empty.
真可惜
What a shame.
我替巴伯先生难过
I feel sorry for Mr. Barber.
-他真不该这么惨 -够了
– He doesn’t deserve this. – Enough.
我真希望能帮上忙
I wish I could help.
我也希望你能帮忙 但你恐怕帮不上
I wish you could, too, but I don’t see how.
我们在拍默片
We’re making a silent.
而他们只想发行有声片
They only want to release talkies, so…
为什么不能把这部电影改成有声片
Well, why couldn’t this be turned into a talking film?
那需要做什么
What would that mean?
从伦敦叫一位技术员来
Getting a technician down from London.
他可以给我们已经拍的戏录音
He could record sound for scenes we’ve already made and…
然后给剩下的戏写新台词
And then put new speeches into the rest.
这难道不行吗
Why wouldn’t that work?
梅森先生要把我逼疯了
Mr. Mason’s driving me mad.
每个杯子碟子都要摆对地方
Every cup and saucer has to be right.
事实就是 你是他儿媳妇
The fact is you’re his daughter-in-law.
他儿子因战争而死
His son died in the war.
也难怪他和我相处不好
I mean, it’s no wonder he and I rub each other up the wrong way.
可惜他这么惹你烦
Well, it’s a shame he’s getting on your nerves
因为他是个好人
because he’s a lovely chap.
他对你更是珍视 黛西
And he thinks the world of you, Daisy.
你以前不还喜欢过他吗
Weren’t you sweet on him once?
那都多少年前的事了
About a hundred years ago.
听说有位声音专家要从伦敦过来
I hear there’s a sound expert coming down from London.
别提醒我
Don’t remind me.
您还好吗
Are you all right?
需要我帮忙吗
Can I help?
现在没人能帮我了
No one can help me now.
哎呀
Well.
这不是巴罗就行吗
If it isn’t Just Barrow.
先生
Sir?
我就是在想 这栋大宅子可比
I’ve just been thinking how much more interesting
我们傻乎乎的电影有趣多了
this great house is than our silly little film.
别喊我”先生”
Don’t call me “Sir.”
我能做点什么吗
Is there anything I can do?
除非你能想到我接下来该去干什么
Well, not unless you’ve got some ideas for my next career.
我不明白
I don’t understand.
电影之前一直是哑剧
Films have been mime until now.
哑剧加音乐
Mime with music.
现在的有声片要看演技了
Now with the new talkies, they’re gonna be about acting.
他们不会想要我们的
They won’t want us.
他们会雇舞台剧的真演员
They’ll hire real actors from the theater, and…
我们要完了
we’ll be finished.
但你的声音很不错
But you’ve got a good voice.
或许会有新面孔
There may be new faces coming in,
但公众也不会忘了所有他们最喜欢的老面孔
but the public won’t want to say goodbye to all their old favorites.
希望你是对的
I hope you’re right.
先生
Sir.
那是公爵
That’s the Duke…
威斯敏斯特公爵的游艇
That’s the Duke of Westminster’s yacht.
是这样的
Let me sum up.
自186♥4♥年以来
In the years since 186♥4♥,
过世的蒙米拉侯爵立过四份遗嘱
the late Marquis de Montmirail made four wills.
他在每一封里都提到
In every one, he refers to the fact
他1865年就将鸽子别♥墅♥
that he gave the Villa des Colombes
送给了如今的格兰瑟姆老伯爵夫人
to the now Dowager Countess of Grantham in 1865.
我带来了原件
I brought the originals.
复件我留给你们
I will leave copies.
那他显然不是忘了这回事
Then clearly it wasn’t something that slipped his mind.
他的确想这么做 而且一直没改主意
He meant to do this thing, and he stuck by his decision.
这让我好受些了
I feel better for that.
她肯定抓住了他什么把柄
She must have had some hold over him.
她肯定是勒索了他
She must have blackmailed him.
妈妈 这么想太傻了
Maman, this is a foolish response.
我们会告上法庭的
We shall challenge it in court.
有什么理由呢 夫人
On what basis, madame?
您还有其他房♥子
You have other houses.
困苦不是理由
There’s no question of hardship.
您丈夫买♥♥下别♥墅♥并做处理时
Your husband bought the villa and disposed of it
还不认识您呢
before he even met you.
我建议您尽快把别♥墅♥交出来