鉴于你和我都来自同一街区 马尔科姆
And because you and I are from the same place, Malcolm,
你也该知道
you should know what a
我这样的人会对你这样的人做出什么事
person like me can do to a person like you.
嗯
Yeah.
不过这可不是哈弗老师的做法
But that’s not what a Harvard man would do.
一个哈弗老师能聪明到看得出
Nah, see, a man of Harvard is smart enough to see…
这样的行为会导致连锁反应
that would set off a chain of events…
会波及到他身上 摧毁他自身
that would inevitably come back and destroy him…
以及他苦心经营的一切
and everything he’s built.
这样就不好了
That would be a shame.
所以我认为
So, I think you should take
你该借此机会好好思考下
this opportunity before you very seriously.
怎样尽全力
Do everything in your power
让我成为哈弗学生
to ensure that I become a man of Harvard…
而且确保我一根汗毛都不被碰
and make sure nothing happens to a hair on my gorgeous head.
能做到么
Can you dig it?
马尔科姆 你忘记拿包了
Malcolm, you forgot your bag.
那是假的
It’s fake.
马尔科姆
Malcolm.
你真是自大
You’re pretty damn arrogant.
你认为你可以进得了哈弗
You think you’re gonna get into Harvard?
你把自己当谁了
Who do you think you are?
我来告诉你2个学生的事
Let me tell you about two students.
学生”A”成绩优秀
Student “A” Is a straight-A
住在洛杉矶郊外
student who lives in the suburbs of Los Angeles.
他和他最好的朋友组成了一个朋克乐队
He plays in a punk band with his best friends.
他喜欢滑滑板和骑他的越野自行车
He loves to skateboard and ride on his BMX bike.
他最喜爱的电视剧是
His favorite TV show is Game
“权利的游戏” 他最喜欢的乐队是”The Thermals”
Of Thrones and his favorite band is The Thermals.
他是一个90年代的嘻哈极客
He’s a ’90s hip-hop geek.
学生”B”上的是一所资金困乏的学校
Student “B” Goes to an underfunded school…
那里的老师都不愿意待在那
where teachers who would rather not be there…
教学生他们根本不在乎的东西
teach kids who really don’t care.
他和单身母亲住一起
He lives with a single mother,
也没见过他父亲 而且他卖♥♥毒品
doesn’t know his father and has sold dope.
现在闭上你的眼睛
Now close your eyes.
想象下这两个学生 然后告诉我你的想法
Picture each of these kids and tell me what you see.
实话实说 没人会批评你
Be honest. No one’s going to judge you.
现在 睁开眼睛
Now open your eyes.
所以说 我到底是学生”A”还是学生”B”
So, am I student “A” Or student “B”?
我是极客还是混混
Am I a geek or a menace?
我大部分人生里
For most of my life,
我都徘徊在真实的自我
I’ve been caught in between who I really am…
和追求的自我中间
and how I’m perceived,
徘徊在这类人和那类人之间
in between categories and definition.
我两边都无法融入
I don’t fit in.
我从前会认为我被诅咒了 但是…
And I used to think that that was a curse, but…
现在我慢慢开始觉得…
now I’m slowly starting to see…
这或许是赐福
maybe it’s a blessing.
如果你两边都无法融入
See, when you don’t fit in,
你就会被逼着
you’re forced to see the world
从不同角度来看待认识这个世界
from many different angles and points of view.
你会获得知识
You gain knowledge,
从不同的地点不同的人身上学到人生经验
life lessons from disparate people and places.
而这些经验 不论好坏 都会造就我
And those lessons, for better or worse, have shaped me.
所以说 我到底是谁
So, who am I?
请容我再次自我介绍 我的名字叫马尔科姆·阿德坎比
Allow me to reintroduce myself. My name is Malcolm Adekanbi.
我是一个有着接近完美的SAT分数的学生A
I’m a straight-A student with nearly perfect SAT scores.
我自学吉他以及理解音乐
I taught myself how to play guitar and read music.
我有着老师眼里良好的品行
I have stellar recommendations
和完全相反的课后活动
and diverse extracurricular activities.
我是谷歌♥科学挑战赛的参与者
I am a Google Science Fair participant,
而且在3周内我就在网上
and in three weeks, I helped make over $100,000
赚了10万元
for an online business.
所以 我为什么想去哈弗上学
So, why do I want to attend Harvard?
要是我是白人的话 你还会问我这个问题么
If I was white, would you even have to ask me that question?
发型不错
Nice haircut.
我喜欢
I like it.
我很抱歉
I’m–I’m sorry…
之前说的那些话
for all the stuff that I said.
当时发生了很多事
There was a lot going on at the time.
而我迷失了自我
And… that wasn’t me.
你没有
Yeah, it was.
你或许骗得了其他人 但骗不了我
You might have all these other folks fooled, but not me.
你很…
You’re…
复杂
complicated.
话说回来 我只是来给你说谢谢的
Anyway, I just came by to say thank you.
谢谢
Thank you?
-你通过了 -嗯嗯
You–You passed? Mm-hmm.
你通过了
You passed.
你本来应该和我一起去舞会的
You were supposed to go to prom with me.
不
No.
我之前说过错过舞会我并不生气
I told you I wasn’t mad about missing prom.
嘿
Hey.
我生气的是错过”六旗过山车公园”
I was mad about missing Six Flags.
我明早来接你
I’ll pick you up in the morning.