Short, sweet and simple science.
好了 走吧
I’ll be back. All right. Come on.
科学揭示真♥相♥ 兰德尔
Science tells the truth, Randall.
可恶 你想来吗?
Fuck. Do you wanna come?
想啊
Yeah.
女士们先生们 我们以为
Ladies and gentlemen, what we thought,
全世界以为的这场紧迫、可怕的危机
what the world thought was an impending and terrifying danger,
结果竟是一个令人激动的机会
turns out to be an astonishing opportunity.
我们的盟友们非常困惑 正寻求解释…
Our allies are very confused and demanding answers–
让他们等着
Well, tell ’em to wait.
根据迪比亚斯基彗星 最新的光谱仪检测数据
According to the most recent spectrometer readings of Comet Dibiasky,
由巴什蜂窝的天文学家算出
made by the astrogeologists at BASH Cellular,
我们有了新的发现
we’ve discovered something.
一些奇迹般的发现
Something truly miraculous.
彼得?
Peter. Peter?
谢谢你 贾妮
-Oh, thank you, Janie.
如你们中有些人所知
As, uh… As some of you may know,
世界上最珍贵的矿产
the most valuable minerals in the world
快速变成了
are fast becoming those that are deployed
用来制♥造♥手♥机♥和电脑的物质
in the manufacture of cell phones and, uh, computers.
钇、铽、锇、镝等等
Yttrium, terbium, osmium, dysprosium, on and on and on.
资源短缺
We’re running short.
这个问题变得更加严重是因为
Uh, and the problem is exacerbated, of course,
中国掌握着几乎所有
because China has her big panda paw firmly on almost all the mines
出产这些宝贵稀缺地球资源的矿
that produce these valuable rare Earth assets.
你们可以想象
So you can imagine.
哇!
Wow!
我们巴什公♥司♥高兴极了
Just how happy we were at BASH
因为我们的天文学家发现
when our astrogeologists discovered
这颗从宇宙深处 朝地球急速飞来的彗星
and then determined that this comet, hurtling towards us from deep space,
蕴藏着价值至少 32万亿美元的重要矿产
actually contains at least $32 trillion of these critical materials.
这对技术来说非常重要
Critical to technology.
-如果我们要继续… -抱歉
If we’re to proceed–
中止整个任务的原因
I’m sorry. Is that why you aborted this entire mission,
就是你们想开采彗星上的稀缺矿产?
is because you’re trying to mine the comet for rare minerals?
明迪博士 我觉得我们应该等 整个演讲结束后再提问
I think we should hold all questions
until the end of the presentation,
到时也许你的问题就已经得到了回答
and you might find that your questions are answered.
是的 总统女士
Yes, Madam President.
考虑其他金属的话 彗星实际蕴藏了
When you… When the other metals are factored in, the comet actually contains
价值近140万亿美元的资源
almost $140 trillion worth of assets.
140万亿
Buck-forty trilli.
嗯…
Yeah…
如果我们都要死了 这些万亿美元又有什么意义?
What do these trillions of dollars even matter if we’re all gonna die–
我也想问这个问题 贾妮
I was about to ask the same question, Janie.
为何不征求我们的意见?
Why weren’t we consulted?
-恕我直言 总统女士… -哦 不!
All due respect, Madam President…
-…这极其危险 -如果我们既赚了钱又安然无恙呢?
Oh, no! What if we’re rich and we’re safe?
我在脑子里一遍遍回想
I’ve gone over it again and again and again in my head
我还是想不通
and I still can’t make sense of it.
他是个三星中将 在五角大楼工作
He’s a three-star general. He works at the Pentagon.
为什么要拿免费零食收我们的钱?
Why would he charge us for free snacks?
我有一次遇到了斯汀
One time, I met Sting,
我对天发誓 他就在我面前放了屁
and I swear to God, he farted right in front of me.
没有避开视线 也没有说“抱歉”
Didn’t break eye contact and didn’t even say “excuse me. ”
关键是 他丝毫没有引起反感
And the thing is, he actually pulled it off.
因为我依然觉得他很有魅力
‘Cause I still found him to be quite charming.
两位 我们得谈谈 我们走 马上
Guys, we have to talk. Come on, let’s go. Come on, now.
太疯狂了 彻头彻尾的疯狂
It’s insane. Like, completely insane.
根本不可能成功的
It will never work.
我和你的反应一模一样
I had the exact same reaction.
这可是一颗直径九公里的地球杀手
This is a nine-kilometer-wide planet-killer we’re talking about,
不是在说漫游费
not roaming charges.
他们取消任务 我也很困惑、很愤怒
Look, I… I was confused and outraged that they turned this mission around too,
但他们的团队有斯坦福的盖里泰可蒙
but they’ve got Gary Talcamont from Stanford
和普林斯顿的丽莎伊内兹
and Lisa Inez from Princeton on their team.
这可是下一代最前沿的技术
I mean, this is next-generation cutting-edge technology.
一颗巨大的彗星显然对地球来说 是存亡攸关的重大威胁
Obviously, one giant comet is a major and existential, uh, threat to our planet,
但我们可以应付30个小型流星体
but 30 smaller meteoroids, we can handle.
我们的必得机 也就是巴什探索开采无人机
Our BEADS, that stands for BASH, uh, Explore and Acquire Drones,
如你们所见
that you see here,
将会把机体附着在彗星上
attach themselves to the comet
使用纳米技术进行扫描
and scan it with nanotechnology
该技术由诺贝尔奖得主
developed by Nobel Prize-winning scientist,
盖里泰可蒙开♥发♥
Dr. Gary Talcamont.
然后我们就立刻开采了吧?
And then we immediately deploy, don’t we?
诺贝尔和波隆斯基奖得主
Nobel and Polonsky prize-winning scientist
科学家伊内兹博士的 微标量子裂变爆♥炸♥物
Dr. Inez’s micro-targeted, quantum fission, uh, explosives.
看 深入星体中…
You see, deep into the object…
伊内兹博士 你要来说明一下吗?
Dr. Inez, would you like to explain what’s happening?
谢谢你 彼得
Thank you, Peter.
我们在欧洲核子研究中心的 粒子加速器中
We’ve been developing phase-fission reactions
进行分段裂变反应
in the CERN particle accelerator
用于将彗星分♥裂♥成小块
that can splinter the comet into smaller pieces
且确保极致精确
with breathtaking accuracy.
这些碎片随后将被每台必得机 进行转向和减速
These segments are then steered and decelerated by each BEAD
落入太平洋 等待美国海军舰队回收
into the Pacific Ocean for reclamation by waiting US Navy ships.
当这些…谢谢
And when these… Thank you.
当这些来自天堂的宝藏回收之后
And when these treasures from heaven are claimed,
我们所知的贫困 社会不公、生物多样性的丧失
poverty as we know it, social injustice, loss of biodiversity,
所有这些各种各样的问题
all these multitudes of problems
都将成为过去
are just gonna become relics of the past
人类将大步穿过 所罗门圣殿的铜柱 全身赤♥裸♥地
and humanity is gonna stride through the Pillars of Boaz and Jachin naked
迈入黄金时代的光辉…
into the the glory of a golden age…
这个纳米技术经过了同行评审吗?
And is this nanotech work peer-reviewed?
我还没看数据 但已经建模了
Well, I haven’t reviewed the data, but it’s been modeled.
有任何部分经过了同行评审吗?
Has any of this been peer-reviewed?
没有
Nope.
行星间、星际
Interplanetary, interstellar,
星系间都将有人类存在
intergalactic existence for the human race.
-托你吉言 -我愿意加入
Your mouth to God’s ear.
他们能从这颗彗星上 获取的矿产和财富
I understand the wealth that they can extract from this comet,
可以终结世界饥饿
it can end world hunger.
哦 我懂了
Oh, I see.
-你们笑什么? -没错 不 我明白
-Why are you laughing? That’s true. No, I see.
这是他们用来给闹剧打掩护的小借口
So that’s the pretty little bow they’re putting around this line of bullshit.
我猜他们还会说解放小狗
I bet they’ll say freedom and puppies too.
-是啊 -好吧
-All right. Yeah.
你们想让我退出任务? 那我就退出 没关系
You want me to quit the mission? I’ll quit the mission. That’s fine.
但你们得明白 现在这已经不受我们控制了
But you have to understand, this is now beyond our control.
权力都在他们手上
They have all the power.
你们希望谁来参与并确保
So who do you want in the actual room to make sure
整件事不会变成彻头彻尾的灾难?
this whole thing doesn’t turn out to be a complete goddamn disaster?
杰森奥尔林? 你们希望杰森奥尔林参与吗?
Jason Orlean? You want Jason Orlean in that room? Huh?
跟你说个新鲜事 现在已经是彻头彻尾的灾难了
I have news for you. It’s already a complete disaster.
他们在让一个山峰大小的彗星
They’re talking about letting a comet the size of a mountain
撞击地球 就为了让一家 手♥机♥公♥司♥的股票大涨特涨!
hit the planet to jack up a cell phone company’s stock!
你的音量最好马上降个四五级
You better take that down about four or five notches now.
你刚才大叫 是在说他们取消任务的原因吗?
Were you yelling about that mission?
和手♥机♥有什么关系?
Why were you talking about cell phones?
我的朋友只是在猜想
My friend was just theorizing as to what’s going on.
我们也一头雾水
We’re confused too.
你看上去有正规的白宫胸牌
That’s an awfully official-looking White House badge you got there.
我不知道这是哪来的 不清楚
I don’t know why I have this on.
告诉我们是怎么回事吧
Listen, just tell us what’s going on.
我家三个小孩都被吓坏了 告诉我们点信息吧
I got three scared kids at home. Just tell us something.
我理解 我也希望能分享信息 但…
I understand. I wish I could share information, but–
我们和你们是一样的 我们有权知道!
We’re people just like you. We deserve to know!
他们说得对 他们有权知道
They’re right. They deserve to know.
你们真的想知道发生了什么吗?
Do you really wanna know what’s going on?
-是的 -请告诉我们
Yeah. Please.