You want us to believe that they were best friends.
但8年来她们从来都没谈起过遗嘱的事?
and alone for eight years and they never even talked about it?
人们保守秘密的时间可以比8年长得多。
I think people can keep secrets a lot longer than eight years.
一百六十万元的秘密?
A $1,600,000 secret?
天方夜谭!
Oh, come on!
你知不知道遗嘱,克莱伯恩夫人?
Did you know about the will, Ms. Claiborne?
不知道。
No, sir.
维拉对于自己死后遗产的处置计划得贼清楚。
Vera made it pretty damn clear she was plannin’ on takin’ it all with her when she went.
我想等她死后,就只会有些衣物需要清洗烘干的。
I figured when she passed on there’d be
some laundry did a warm-up and a fare-thee-well.
那可真是省事多了。
Isn’t that convenient?
你根本不信她。
You don’t believe her.
那我告诉你,探长。
Then I tell you what, Detective.
或许我们个个都是天赋异禀的通晓犯罪心理的先知。
We may be in the presence of a truly gifted criminal mind.
想想吧,8年时间里她完全有机会成为
I mean think for it, for eight years she’s a heartbeat away
这岛上最有钱的女人。
from being the richest woman on the island.
所以她做了什么?
So what does she do?
等了一年让维拉淹死在浴缸里?
Does she wait one year and let Vera drown in the tub?
等了三年后饿死了她?
Three years starving her?
你在给自己挖坑。
You’re only digging yourself in deeper.
在她熟睡时闷死她?
Smother her in her sleep?
毒死她?
Drug her?
不,我母亲的计划可比那些高明多了。
No, my mother’s plan is far more brilliant than that.
她等了8年,花了无数心血来照顾她
She waits through eight years of bed pans, sponge baths, diapers and bed sores.
等了8年,直到维拉都快进坟墓里了。
She waits eight years until Vera’s already got one foot in the grave.
不是吗?然后她做了什么?
Isn’t it? Then what does she do?
– 我们都知道。 – 那只是你的理论罢了。
– We know what she did.
– That’s your theory, isn’t it?
她等了8年才把她推下楼梯。
She waited eight years to throw her down the stairs.
就是!为了把现场制♥造♥成意外事故。
Yes. To make it look like an accident.
意外?她翻遍了整个厨房♥,就为了一根擀面杖。
An accident? She ransacked the kitchen for a rolling pin.
别激动!
Calm down!
她要是把维拉打死,怎么可能伪装成一场意外?
How is beating Vera to death going to look like an accident?
因为她慌了,就像你现在这样。
She panicked, just as you’re doing now.
萨缪尔·马钱每天中午都要带邮件过来。
Sammy Marchant brought the mail every day at noon.
– 为何不等到半夜再下手? – 她慌了。
– Why not wait till midnight? – She panicked.
– 她知道必须干掉她。 – 你怎么知道她的想法?
– She knew she had to finish her
– How do you know what she knew?
14年的探案经验,圣·乔治小姐。
Fourteen years’ experience, Miss St. George.
– 这期间你从未犯过错。 – 是的
– You’ve never been wrong. – Not when it counted.
– 对了,你都85还是86岁了吧? – 是的,我老了。
-Oh. That’s right, you’re 85 for 86, aren’t you?
– Yes, I am.
– 只要解决掉这件案子,就能有一个完美的生涯记录。 – 这报告说的是事实。
– One case away from a perfect record.
– This report is the truth.
事实?狗屎!你为什么不告诉他们你来这里的真正目的?
Truth? Bullshit! Why don’t you tell him why we’re really here?
说啊。
Go on.
跟他说啊。
Tell him.
因为她之前也干过同样的事
Because she’s done it before.
等会儿,她还有前科?
Wait a minute. Is there some prior felony here, John?
不,没有。
No, there’s not.
他们不愿起诉她。
They wouldn’t indict her.
18年前
Eighteen years ago
我父亲喝了一瓶苏格兰威士忌
my father drank a bottle of scotch
然后掉到了一口井里。
and fell down a well.
麦基探长认为那不是一场意外,
Detective Mackey didn’t think it was an accident, which is…
这就是我们今天在这里的原因。
why we’re here today.
你觉得呢,赛琳娜?
What do you think, Selena?
我觉得我欠你一个道歉。
I think that I owe you an apology.
我叫你混♥蛋♥。
I called you a son of a bitch.
你说我们俩很像。
You said you thought we were a lot alike.
你是对的。
And you were right.
我们都花了18年来控诉这个女人。
We’ve both spent the past 18 years prosecuting this woman.
今天在这里。
We came out here.
我了解我做的一切。
I know I did.
认为她是有罪的。
believing she was guilty.
我们都忘了这案子是关于维拉·多诺万的。
We forgot this case is about Vera Donovan.
不是我父亲那案子。
not my father.
如果那不是意外呢?
And what if it wasn’t an accident?
你看
Look
已经18年了。
it’s been 18 years.
我不知道这对你来说意味着什么。
I don’t know what this has done to you.
但这事已经毁了我。
but let me tell you, it’s consumed me.
每天我都活在这个阴影之下。
I have lived with this every day of my life.
每一天。
Every day.
可这样是不对的。
But it was wrong.
我不会再这样做了,
and I won’t do it anymore.
如果我还有资格这样说的话,
And if I can say that, my God.
你不能吗?
can’t you?
她没杀维拉·多诺万。
She didn’t kill Vera Donovan.
整个周末你都在搜集确凿的证据。
You’ve been out here all weekend looking for a smoking gun.
可报告里一个都没有。
There isn’t one.
你有的只是30页对维拉自杀的描述。
All you’ve got is a 30-page description of a suicide.
我请求你。
I’m asking you.
作为一个正直可敬的人。
as an honorable man.
以你的经验
with all of your experience.
凭你亲眼见过的一切。
all that you’ve seen.
假如当事人不叫德洛丽丝·克莱伯恩的话,
would we be here right now.
我们真的还会在这里吗?
if this was anyone other than Dolores Claiborne?
报告上写的就是真♥相♥!
This report’s the truth!
假如这样你们还选择审讯的话,你们会再次败诉的。
I’d like you to know that if you go to trial with this, you’ll fail again.
你最好扪心自问,你想怎样结束自己的警探生涯。
You’d better ask yourself how you want to finish your career.
我手里有一堆纽约律师的名字。
I’ve got a long list of New York lawyers.
他们个个都会在陪审团面前,把你和这件案子剖析得无地自容。
who’d just love to take you and this case apart in front of a jury.
妈妈
Mother
咱们走吧。
Come on, let’s go.
他们没法再伤害你了。
They can’t hurt you anymore.
约翰?
John?
这是你的案子。
This is your ball game.
一切由你决定。
I’m gonna leave this up to you.
走吧。
Come on.
是时候了。
It’s time.
就算这里最热的时节,也让人冷得发抖。
Even when it’s warm here, it’s cold.
亚利桑那不会这样冷的。
It won’t be like that in Arizona.
根本没亚利桑那这回事。
There is no Arizona.
我不必去。
I don’t have to go.
都是谎话。
It was a lie.
我的编辑
My editor
这个新闻,这本书…
the story, the book…
都没了。
it’s all over.
我还是要时不时担心你的生活吗?
Do I still have to worry about you?
你对我付出的一切我无法感同身受。
I don’t know how to feel about what you did.
或许我永远也无法体会。
Maybe I never will.
但我知道你是为我做的。
But I know you did it for me.
我不想再次失去你。
I don’t want to lose you again.
去吧。
Go on.
你不会失去我的。
You’re not gonna lose me.
快走吧。
You go on.