好的
I hope so.
什么?他们说什么?
What? What did they say?
好吧 他们并没有争论是否应该有所改变
Well, they couldn’t really argue that anything had changed.
但是他们觉得像警♥察♥藏而不报是在犯罪
But by not telling the police they felt they were committing a crime themselves.
– 我想我该走了 – 不…
– I think I should leave. – No…
变化就是变化
Enough is enough.
我提出了相反的建议
I suggested the opposite.
是吗?
You did?
从经济的角度来说…
From a business perspective, …
你在狗镇的居留已经变得更加昂贵了
from a business perspective, your presence in Dogville has become more costly.
因为他们因为把你藏在这里而处于更加危险的境地
Because it’s more dangerous for them to have you here,
并不是他们不需要你
not that they don’t want you,
只是他们觉得应该有所补偿
since they feel there should be some counterbalance,
某些回扣
some quid pro quo.
那听上去像是坏蛋用的词…
That sound like words that the gangsters would use…
如果你不想留下来 恐怕只会更糟
There is also more of an incentive if you don’t wanna stay.
你瞧 这里到处都贴着通缉告示
See, with all those wanted posters hanging around the place,
我想不出在这样的环境下你能躲到哪里去
I can hardly think of anywhere else you could hide.
那么你所建议的补偿是什么呢?
So what’s the counterbalance that you suggested?
他们想让你工作更长的时间 但是我建议改为
They wanted you to work longer hours, but instead what I proposed is
你以后一天两次拜访他们
that you just pay a visit to folks twice a day now.
那样看起来你会有更大的贡献
That way it would seem that you’re willing to contribute more,
而实际上并没有增加太多的工作时间
without actually lengthening your day too much.
这只是预防任何不快的一种手段
It’s just a way of heading off any unpleasantness.
好吧 听上去这实践起来有些困难
Well, it sounds a little peculiar and difficult to put into practice.
那正是我所想到的
That’s what I thought.
玛莎她说她可以每隔半个小时敲下钟
Martha she said she would ring her bell every half hour,
这样你就可以跟上你的时间表了
so you could keep track of your new schedule.
那么 他们还是愿意让我留在这里?
Then, they are all willing to let me stay?
不瞧 汉森夫人她还觉得我们可以减少你的工资
No. See, Mrs. Henson she also thought we should cut your pay.
只是形式上的你瞧…
Merely a symbolic gesture. You see…
告示上那个危险的字眼让她担心了
the word dangerous on that poster worried her.
我愿意做任何事…
I’m willing to do whatever it takes.
如果我必须更加努力工作 延长工作时间 减少工资
If I have to work harder, longer hours for less pay,
那么我愿意接受当然 我确定
then I’m willing to do that. Of course, I am.
我只是想确定他们不是更希望我离开这里
I just wanna be sure that they wouldn’t prefer that I left town.
当然不
Of course not.
你认为这样是最好的方式?
You think this is for the best?
我相信是
I know it is.
我必须去睡会了 以后我会要忙得多了
I have to get some sleep. My days are gonna be much busier now.
很抱歉
Sorry.
汤姆 我只是想知道…
Tom, I just need to know something…
你知道那个汽车里的男人给你的名片…
you know the card that the man in the car gave you…
是的
Yeah.
你给任何人看过了吗?
Did you show it to anyone?
得了吧 格蕾丝!我拿到就烧掉了
Come on, Grace! I burned it first thing.
我真是傻 当然你毁掉了
I’ve been so silly. Of course you did.
没关系
It’s alright.
不 有关系我不想你把我看成那种人
No, it’s not alright. I hate it for you to see me like this.
我不能忍♥受我怀疑了你
I can’t bare that I’m doubting you.
我很抱歉晚安
I’m sorry. Good night.
所有人事实上都根本不想改变
[Narrator] Everybody was really against any changes
格蕾丝的工作条件
to Grace’s working conditions at all
当谈话时偶尔说起这个话题
when the subjuct occasionally came up in conversation.
哦 本同情地表示
Oh, Ben had declared in sympathy
他不需要任何比以前更多的帮助
that he wouldn’t accept any more work than before,
而格蕾丝对此表示感激
and Grace was grateful for that,
即使他在说这话时有点醉
even if he was a bit drunk when he said so.
忙碌的分钟变成了忙碌的小时
Busy minute became busy hours,
而忙碌的小时又变成了忙碌的一天
and busy hours became busy days.
而且不管增加格蕾丝的工作时间
and irrespective of whether they thought the idea of increasing Grace’s services
是否有正当公平的理由
had any fairness and justification to it or not,
这并没有让任何人因此而更加高兴
it didn’t seem to make anyone any happier.
而是恰恰与此相反
More to the contrary.
格蕾丝 哦…你得更加小心些
Grace, oh… You have to be more careful.
莉斯也不是很小心 但是她还没有打破我们的玻璃器皿
Liz wasn’t very careful either, but she didn’t break our glasses.
我想你该懂得
I think you need to understand
汉森先生辛苦工作才把模具的轮廓抛光
that Mr. Henson works very hard to grind off any traces of moulds.
而这会使得玻璃更加脆弱 我以为你知道的
and it makes the glass weak. I thought you knew that.
不会再发生了当然 我会赔偿的
It won’t happen again. Of course, I’ll pay for it.
不 当然不你不用赔偿我们我们自己应付得来
No, of course not. You don’t have to pay us for it. We’ll get over it.
她飞快地跑去见查克
[Narrator] And off she went to keep her appointment with Chuck
为了履行约定——在草地上拾树枝
with Chuck to free the last tree trunks from the grass
以达到驱赶那些松鼠的目的
in order to keep the ever busy mice away.
她赶时间 所以从那些醋栗树间的捷径穿了过去
She was in a hurry and took the shortcut between the gooseberry bushes,
只是被一声大叫拦住了
only to be brought up by a shout.
– 格蕾丝! – 是的!
– Grace! – Yes!
哦 我没有看见你刚把路上的土锄松 我很抱歉
Oh, I didn’t see that you just raked the path. I’m sorry.
不是我刚锄过地
It isn’t that I’ve just raked it.
而是你本可以完全绕过这片灌木
The idea is that people can pass around the bushes completely.
你该知道我希望你那样做
I prefer it that way, as you should know.
我以为这些链子是为了在灌木丛中标出一条路
I thought that these chains were put up to make a path between the bushes.
它们是用来保护灌木的
They were put up there to protect the bushes.
这压根就不该是条路
It is not supposed to be a pathway.
但是每个人都从这里过
But everyone goes this way.
亲爱的 那很对他们已经在这里住了好多年了
Dear, that’s right. They have been living here for years.
而你只待了不长时间
You haven’t been here that long.
你是在说 因为我以前不住这里
Are you saying, that I am less entitled to use the shortcut
所以我没有资格从这条小路走吗?
because I haven’t always lived here?
不 当然不
No, of course not.
没有 我只是觉得我在这儿你会高兴的 没别的
No, I just thought it pleased you to be here, that’s all.
去吧 去吧没关系的
Go on. Go on, it’s alright.
我下午再来见你…
I’ll see you this afternoon…
我会把那些草耙得比以前都好的 我保证
and I’ll rake those bushes like they’ve never been raked before, I promise.
我真为那根树枝对不起你那上面还有那么多苹果呢
I’m sorry about that branch. There were so many apples on it.
我真应该把那根树枝给砍了 可我太贪心了
I should have cut that brance, but I got greedy.
想要喂养一家人也是贪心吗?
Is it greedy to want to feed your family?
那你为什么不喜欢我?
So how come you don’t like me?
你问我这个干什么?
Why do you ask me that?
我一靠近你 你就躲开了
When I get close to you, you edge away.
– 我没有啊 – 有的
– No, I don’t. – You did so.
在我们削去底层的种子的时候
When we were thinning the seedlings in the bottom row.
如果不让我碰到你 我怎么向你展示我是怎么做的呢?
How am I supposed to show you what I do if I ain’t allow to touch you?
你想要吻我来着
You tried to kiss me.
维拉从来都对苹果没有兴趣她恨果树
Vera never took any interest in the apples. She hates the orchard.
你是我遇到的第一个懂得苹果的人
The is the first time I’ve ever met anyone, who understand about the apples.
抱歉…我只是太高兴了
Sorry… it made me so happy.
没有关系的
It’s alright.
不 有关系的 我感觉那些关于苹果 你只是嘴上说说而已
No, it ain’t alright. I reckon the stuff about the apples is just words in your mouth.
如果你真的不能分享我的快乐…
If you can’t really share my pleasure…
我能的
I do.
维拉想让我从刚从地里长出来的树枝上摘苹果
Vera wants me to picking apples from trees that are barely in the ground.
但任何东西都需要时间爱也一样
Things take time. That’s love!
要看到别人的需要 要尊重那些需要
Seeing what they need and respecting those needs.
要是有谁明白的话 那就是你至少我这么感觉
If anyone understands that, it’s you. At least I thought so.
我的确是明白的
I do understand that.
但我一靠近你就躲开了
But you edge away when I get close.
– 你为什么对我这么反感? – 我没有对你反感
– Why do you find me so repugnant? – I don’t find you repugnant.
不要生气
Don’t be upset.
我很抱歉我怀疑过你 我不会这样了
I’m sorry if I doubted you. It won’t happen again.
我向你保证
I promise you.
我要是我就不会做那样的保证的
I wouldn’t make that promise if I were you.
当你疏远我的时候 我有了一种想法
When you fended me off, a thought came into my mind
它让我感到羞耻你也会因为它而恨我的
that made me ashamed. A thought that you would hate me for.
我永远也不会恨你的
I would never hate you, never.
什么?
What?
查克 我曾经对你不公平你生气是很正常的
Chuck, I’ve treated you unfairly. It’s alright to have angry thoughts.
我想过要把你告出去!
I thought of turning you in!
我想过要吓唬你而使你尊重我
I thought of blackmailing you into respecting me.
这对你那么重要吗?真是这样吗?
It means that much to you? It does, doesn’t it?