我们最后一次谈话
Our last conversation,
你告诉我你什么地方不喜欢我
the one in which you told me what it was you didn’t like about me
还没有说完你就跑了
never really concluded, as you ran away.
我应当也可以告诉你我不喜欢你的地方
I should be allowed to tell you what I don’t like about you.
我认为这是礼貌谈话的规矩
That I believe would be a rule of polite conversation.
你就是为这个来的吗?
That’s why you showed up?
你还说我固执
And you call me stubborn.
你来肯定不是要强迫我回去变得像你一样吗?
You’re sure you’re not here to force me to go back and become like you?
假如我觉得我真的能强迫你的话
If I thought there was a chance of forcing you,
但明显那是不可能的
but of course that will never happen.
我随时都欢迎你会回来重新做我的女儿
You are more than welcome to return home and become my daughter again anytime
如果你回来我甚至可以与你分享我的权力和责任
and I would even begin to share my power and responsibility with you if you did.
当然你并不一定在乎这些
Not that you care.
那到底是什么?
So what is it?
什么是什么?你不喜欢我的地方是什么吗?
What is it, the thing… the thing that you don’t like about me?
是你用的一个词使我脑火
It was a word you used that provoked me.
你说我傲慢
You called me arrogant.
掠夺上帝付予的权利 爸爸 我认为那就是傲慢
To plunder, as it were, a God given right. I’d call that arrogant, daddy.
而那正是我不喜欢你的地方
But that is exactly what I don’t like about you.
你才是傲慢呢
It is you that is arrogant.
你来这就是为了说这个?
That’s what you came here to say?
我不是在做出判决 爸爸 是你
I’m not the one passing judgement, Daddy. You are.
你不想做出判决 那是因为你同情他们
You do not pass judgement, because you sympathize with them.
一个贫困的童年和一个杀人罪 其实也不一定是杀人罪 对吗?
A deprived childhood and a homicide really isn’t necessarily a homicide, right?
你只能埋怨环境
The only thing you can blame is circumstances.
在你看来强♥奸♥犯和谋杀犯也会是受害者
Rapists and murderers may be the victims, according to you.
可是我 我管他们叫狗
But I, I call them dogs,
如果他们还要去舔自己的脏东西 那就只能抽他们
and if they’re lapping up their own vomit the only way to stop them is with the lash.
但是狗只服从自己的本性
But dogs only obey their own nature.
所以我们为什么不能原谅它们呢?
So why shouldn’t we forgive them?
狗可以学会许多有用的东西
Dogs can be taught many useful things,
只要你不是每在它们顺从自己本性时都原谅它们
but not if we forgive them every time they obey their own nature.
所以我傲慢 我傲慢就因为我原谅它们?
So I’m arrogant. I’m arrogant because I forgive them?
我的天…
My God…
你看你说这话的时候多么不可一世
Can’t you see how condescending you are when you say that?
你有这种成见
You have this preconceived notion
觉得没有人可以取得
that nobody, listen, that nobody can’t possibly attain
像你一样高的道德水平所以你为他们脱罪
the same high ethical standards as you, so you exonorate them.
我想像不出比这再傲慢的了
I can not think of anything more arrogant than that.
你 我的孩子…我亲爱的孩子 你用来原谅他人的借口
You, my child… my dear child you forgive others with excuses
是你永远也不会用来原谅自己的
that you would never in the world permit for yourself.
为什么我不能有善心?为什么?
Why shouldn’t I be merciful? Why?
不 不 不你应当有善心 如果你有时间的话
No no no… You should be merciful, when there is time to be merciful.
但你必须保持你自己的标准也应当对他人保持标准
But you must maintain your own standard. You owe them that. You owe them that.
你自己犯错误应受到惩罚
The penalty you deserve for your transgressions,
别人犯错误也应受到同样的惩罚
they deserve for their transgressions.
他们都是人
They are human beings.
不 不 不每个人都要为自己的行为负责吗?
No no no… Does every human being need to be accountable for their action?
当然了但你连机会都不给他们
Of course they do. But you don’t even give them that chance.
这一切都傲慢透了
All that is extremely arrogant.
我爱你我爱你我爱死你了
I love you. I love you. I love you to death.
可你是我见到过的最傲慢的人了
But you are the most arrogant person I’ve ever met.
可你还说我傲慢!
And you call me arrogant!
我说完了
I have no more to say.
你傲慢 我傲慢 你说过了 你现在可以走了
You are arrogant. I’m arrogant. You’ve said it. Now you can leave.
不包括我的女儿?
And without my daughter, I suppose?
– 我说不包括我的女儿? – 嗯 是!
– I said, without my daughter? – Hmm, yes!
– 那… – 是的
– Well… – Yes.
那么你决定吧 你决定…格蕾丝 他们说你在这有麻烦
Well, you decide. you decide… Grace, they say you are having some trouble here.
不 不 没有在家那么多麻烦
No. No more trouble than back home.
我给你时间好好想想
I’ll give you a little time to think about this.
– 也许你会改主意 – 我不会的
– Perhaps you will change your mind. – I won’t.
听我说 亲爱的权力其实不那么坏…
Listen, my love… power is not so bad…
我敢肯定你会想办法以你自己的方式去利用它的
I am sure that you can find a way to make use of it in your own fashion…
出去走走 好好想想
Take a walk and think about it.
住在这儿的人都在困难的环境中各尽所能
The people who live here are doing their best under very hard circumstances.
如果你这样说 格蕾丝
If you say so, Grace.
但各尽所能就够了吗?
But is their best really good enough?
他们爱你吗?
Do they love you?
格蕾丝已经想了很久了
Grace had already thought for a long time.
她知道如果她没在流氓到达时被开枪打死的话
She had known that if she were not shot when the gangsters arrived
她就会面临父亲的劝说
she would be faced with her father’s suggestion that she return,
要她回去当他和
to become a conspirator with him
他的流氓和罪犯的同谋
and his gang of thugs and felons
她不需要考虑如何答复
and she did not need any walk to reconsider her response to that,
尽管她发现她在家里认识的人们
even though the difference between the people
与在狗镇的人之间的差别
she knew back home and the people she’d met in Dogville
比她想像的要小
had proven somewhat slighter than she’d expected.
格蕾丝看着在黑暗中的果树丛显得那么脆弱
Grace looked at the gooseberry bushes so fragiles in the smooth darkness.
令人欣慰的是如果你不虐待它们
It was good to know that if you did not treat them ill,
它们会长在那 在春天重生
they would be there, come spring as always,
夏天又会长出
and come summer they’d again be bursting
数不清的果子可以用来做派
with the quite incomprehensible quantity of berries that were so good in pies,
特别是再加上肉桂
specially with cinnamon.
格蕾丝环顾窗后的受到惊吓的面孔
Grace looked around at the frightened faces behind the windowpanes
他们追随着她的一举一动
that were following her every step,
她为给他们带来恐惧而羞愧
and felt ashamed of being part of inflicting that fear.
说到底他们只是软弱 她怎么能为此而恨他们呢?
How could she ever hate them for what was at bottom merely their weakness?
如果她也住在某一个房♥子里 她可能也会
She would probably have done things like those that had befallen her
做出他们对她所做的事的
if she’d lived in one of these houses,
用她自己的尺度去衡量它 像她父亲说的那样
to measure them by her own yardstick as her father put it.
难道她不会像
Would she not, in all honesty,
查克和维拉和本和汉森夫人和汤姆
have done the same as Chuck and Vera and Ben and Mrs. Henson and Tom
以及所有在那些屋子居住的人一样吗?
and all these people in their houses?
格蕾丝停住了
Grace paused.
她一停下来 云散了 月光出来了
And while she did, the clouds scattered and let the moonlight through
狗镇又发生了一次光线的变化
and Dogville underwent another of little changes of light.
就好像过去善意而微弱的光线
It was as if the light, previously so merciful and faint,
终于不再为这个小镇作遮掩了
finally refused to cover up for the town any longer.
突然间你不再期待
Suddenly you could no longer imagine a berry
有一天果子会在果树上出现
that would appear one day on a gooseberry bush,
而只是看到荆棘
but only see the thorn that was there right now.
现在光线穿透了
The light now penetrated every unevenness
建筑物的缺陷以及…人的缺陷
and flaw in the buildings… and in…the people!
突然间她找到了她的问题的答案
And all of a sudden she knew the answer to her question all too well:
如果她像他们那样做
If she had acted like them,
她就无法为自己的任何一个行为做出辩护
she could not have defenced a single one of her actions
她也不能去谴责他们
and could not have condemned them harshly enough.
就好像是她的痛苦与悲伤终于找到了合适的位置
It was as if her sorrow and pain finally assumed their rightful place.
不 他们做得还不够好
No, what they had done was not good enough.
如果谁能够有力量去纠正它 那他就有责任去纠正
And if one had the power to put it to rights, it was one’s duty to do so,
为了其他的小镇 为了整个人类
for the sake of the other towns, for the sake of humanity,
而且也是为了格蕾丝这个人
and not least, for the sake of the human being that was Grace herself.
如果我会重新做你的女儿
If I went back and became your daughter again,
什么时候我能得到你所说的权力呢?
when would I be given the power you’re talking about?
– 现在吗? – 马上!
– Now? – At once!
为什么不呢?
Why not?
那就是说我也立刻负有责任了
So that would mean that I’d also take on the immediate responsibilities at once.
我将成为解决问题的一部分…
I’d be a part in the problem solving…
比如狗镇这个问题
like the problem… of Dogville.
我们可以从开枪打死一只狗并把它订在墙上开始
We can start by shooting a dog and nailing it to a wall.
比如在那边的灯下面也许会有帮助的 有时候是这样的
Over there beneath that lamp, for example. Well, it might help. It sometimes does.
这只会使全镇更害怕 绝不会使它更好
It would only make the town more frightened, but hardly make it a better place.
它还会发生
And it could happen again.
有人路过 表现出他们的脆弱
Somebody happening by, revealing their frailty.
那就是我想用权力达到的 如果你不介意的话
That’s what I wanna use the power for, if you don’t mind.
我想使这个世界好一点
I wanna make this world a little better.
小姐 那个小孩就是不停地说他说他想跟你说话
That damn kid won’t shup up. Says he wants to talk to you, Miss.
我们能不能现在就开枪打死他?
Can we just shoot him now?
让我跟他谈谈
Let me talk to him.