好的 准备下降 你准备好了吗
Okay, ready for descent. Are you ready?
深海挑战者号♥ 无论你是否准备好
Yeah, Deepsea Challenger, whenever you’re ready
我们都要开始了
we’ll initiate launch.
好的 开始吧
Okay, here we go.
释放 释放 释放
And release, release, release.
深海挑战者号♥ 现在你已被释放
Deepsea Challenger, you are now released.
一路平安
Safe travels.
待会见
See you.
在我让他们释放潜水器
I think my heart rate’s up a little bit at the moment
我开始下降的那一刻
that I tell them to release the sub
我觉得心跳有点加快了
and I start to drop.
但立刻就有许多事情要做
But right away there’s so many things to do,
去确认通信等等诸如此类
establishing communications and all that.
水面 深海挑战者号♥ 你收到吗 完毕
Surface, Deepsea Challenger, do you copy? Over.
深海挑战者号♥
Deepsea Challenger,
美人鱼号♥的通信 你觉得如何 完毕
A comms Mermaid, how do you copy? Over.
收到 约翰 既响亮又清晰
Copy you, John, loud and clear.
你的通话声音很好听
You have a good comms voice.
收到 队长说我像是在和我奶奶说话
Copy that. The skipper says it’s like I’m talking to my grandma.
你要饼干吗
Do you want a biscuit?
水面 深海挑战者号♥
Surface Deepsea Challenger,
我在2873英尺
I’m at 2,873 feet,
垂直方向速度1.4节
vertical speed 1.4 knots.
好的 我要抛弃一些弹丸
Okay, I’m going to drop some shot.
速度0.6节 好的 下降明显慢了
.6 knots. Okay, definitely slowing down.
不久就会看到东西了
Should be seeing something pretty soon.
是它了
That’s it.
一定是到海底了
Definitely have bottom.
很酷的地形正迎面而来
Cool terrain coming up here.
减速
Slowing.
触地了
Contact.
水面 深海挑战者号♥ 我在底部了
Surface, Deepsea Challenger, I am on the bottom.
深度3074英尺 完毕
Depth 3,074 feet. Over.
深海挑战者号♥ 收到
Deepsea Challenger, copy that.
你在底部了
You are on the bottom.
登陆车在250米
The lander is 250 meters.
等等吧
Yeah, hang on.
我在学习如何在海底驾驶这东西
I’m just learning how to fly this thing over the bottom.
这设备我控制得不错
I have good control of the vehicle
似乎做了一个平稳的盘旋
and I seem to be in a stable hover.
正在转回南面
Coming back around south.
噢 太棒了
Oh, great.
大海参
Big holothurian.
它美艳极了
Wow, he’s gorgeous.
好美
Nice.
它在攻击我
Whoa! He’s attacking me!
喂喂 噢 它不喜欢这个
Boosh. Oh, he’s not digging that.
推进器的事很抱歉 朋友
Sorry about the thruster, buddy.
那是一条大海黄瓜
That is a big sea cucumber.
它不知道自己有多美
He has no idea how beautiful he is.
你是什么鬼东西
What the heck are you?
噢 多毛目环节动物
Oh yeah, polychaete.
我拍摄这些生物拍得太入迷了
Basically I get so carried away shooting the critters
差点忘了我还有工作要做
that I forget I’ve got work to do.
我必须操控好机械手
I need to get good with the manipulator arm.
我们来这里并不是只为了潜水测试
We’re not just out here doing test dives.
我们还要做科学上的事
We’re doing science, too, as we’re going along.
我要取一些岩石样本
So I’ve got to get some rock samples.
否则科学家团队将不会乐意到户外受罪
Otherwise the science team aren’t going to be happy campers.
得手啦
Gotcha.
好了
All right.
我的第一个样本
My first sample.
我为它自豪
I’m proud of it.
我到了登陆车那里 完毕
I am at the lander. Over.
我们还做了一辆登陆车
And we also built a lander.
就是这辆靠自♥由♥下落来到海底
it’s this unmanned science vehicle that basically
用于科研但无人驾驶的车辆
just free falls to the bottom.
它拥有照明系统和高分辨率的摄影机
it’s got lights and high resolution cameras
能做获取水样等等诸如此类的事情
and it can take water samples and so on.
它甚至能用手臂放下诱捕装置
it’s even got this arm that drops down with a baited trap
吸引数英里内的所有海底猎食者
so it can attract all the bottom foragers from miles around.
登陆车已释放 在上升了 完毕
Lander is released. On ascent. Over.
我认为人类的知识是我们的明灯
I think of human knowledge as being our headlights
照亮黑暗
and they’re shining out into the darkness,
但在灯光之外还有某些东西
and right beyond those lights is something else.
我们要做的是向前再迈进一点
And all we have to do is move forward a little bit more
真♥相♥将会被揭露
and that truth will be revealed,
或者是新的发现将会浮现
or that new disco very will be revealed.
深海挑战者号♥ 确认上升的请求
Deepsea Challenger, confirm request to ascend.
收到
Copy-
荷重正被卸除
Weights are coming off.
开始了
There you go.
潜水器稳定在5.6节
Vehicle is very stable at 5.6 knots.
深海挑战者号♥ 到水面了
Deepsea Challenger, surface contact.
收到 水面指挥 我们做到了
Copy you, S.O. We’re here.
好的 看到你回来我总是很高兴
All right. it’s always good to see you back.
我们会到水里把你带到船上
We’ll get you–we’ll come and get you underway and get you on board.
收到
Copy that.
好了 稳住
Okay. Steady!
戈尔迪 收绳索
Goldy, take the line in!
3300英尺
3, 300 feet.
我们要走的路才走了十分之一
That’s like one-tenth of where we’re going.
但你知道吗 团队此刻非常需要胜利
But you know what? Right now, it’s the victory this team really needed.
恐惧带来的烦恼烟消云散
The curse of fear has officially been lifted.
腊包尔 巴布亚新几内亚
我们要再次下潜到新不列颠海沟 但…
We’re going to dive the New Britain trench again, but…
我想去看看只有几英里远的腊包尔镇
I want to see this town of Rabaul that’s only a few miles away.
看看有什么留在那里
Or see what’s left of it.
在1994年 这个拥有17000人口的市镇
In 1994, this town of 17,000 people
因火山爆发而被彻底摧毁
was utterly destroyed by a volcanic eruption.
那是由形成海沟的同一种力量所引起的
An eruption caused by the same forces that formed the trench itself.
我以前的房♥子就在这
This is where my house used to be,
法兰西斯·柯塔 当地居民
这里的几座房♥子…
and a couple of houses here are all and all the …
就象是一个街区 有很多房♥子
This is all like a neighborhood? Were there a lot of houses here?
对 很多房♥子
Yeah. Quite a lot of houses here.
它就像黑烟一样
What it did was just like, kind of like black smoke kind of thing.
-当它到来时 黑乎乎一片 -对
-And when it did that, it was all black. -Right.
我们看不到东西 我要触碰到你才知道你在那里
We couldn’t see. I had to touch you to know that you’re there.
-太惊人了 -对
-Amazing. -Yeah.
我们在新不列颠岛南侧下潜
We were diving just on the south side of New Britain Island,
在距离海岸约30英里的地方
and we go out about 30 miles offshore,
我们在新不列颠海沟里往下走了5英里
and we can go down five miles in the trench, in the New Britain Trench.
这些深沟之所以形成 是因为地壳的
See, these deep trenches are formed when one plate of the Earth’s crust
-一块板块被另一块往下挤压 是吧 -对
is dragged underneath another plate, right? Yeah.
这种现象被称为”潜没” 其发生的原因是
They call it subduction and it’s because the continents
大♥陆♥就象大木筏一样 是漂移着的
are all moving around like these big rafts.
海底岩石被挤压到下部 好了
The rock of the sea floor is grinding down underneath, right,
在上方数十亿吨♥岩石的叠压之下 它熔化了
under these billions of tons of rock overhead, and it melts.
其压力越来越大
And the pressure just builds and builds
以至于岩浆被推往上部 然后就”呯”
until all this magma is pushed up ward and boom!
所以我们在这里看看
So we came here and we saw, wow, look at what these forces
这些发自地下数英里处的力量
that are happening way down so many miles down in the Earth,
看看它们在这干了什么 看看其对人类的影响
look what they’re doing here and look at the consequence to human beings.
我们属于这里 所以我认为最幸福的事
We belong here, so best thing to do is just to play
就是继续过好日子
and get on with life, I suppose.
导致腊包尔火山爆发的同一股”潜没”之力
The same subduction forces that caused the Rabaul eruptions
也带来了海底地震
also unleash undersea earthquakes.
在断层滑进这些深沟的其中之一时
When that fault slips in one of these deep trenches,
它会移♥动♥大量的水
it displaces an enormous pulse of water.
所释放的能量超过广岛原♥子♥弹♥的3000倍
it’s a release of energy more than 3,000 times the Hiroshima bomb,