孩子在乡下呆上一天,
这有什么不好?
A day in the country. What is so bad?
他才九岁。
He is nine years old.
他从哪儿学的这些话的?
“日他♥娘♥的♥”、“操♥他♥妈♥上帝”?
Where does he learn phrases like “banging beaver” and “fuck God?”
你什么意思?跟我学的?
What are you saying? From me?
你把我当什么人了?一个弱智?
What do I look like, an imbecile?
我知道你和他谈话
谈的都是些什么,
I know what your conversations are like with him,
别以为我没听说
在“校园开放周”的事。
and don’t think I didn’t hear about Open School Week.
贝丝·克雷默一辈子
都没感到这么震惊过!
Beth Kramer has never been so appalled in her entire life!
爸?
Dad?
为什么我的阴♥茎♥看上去和你的不一样?
Why doesn’t my penis look like yours?
为什么你的阴♥茎♥看上去和我的不一样?
Why doesn’t your penis look like mine?
因为你妈和我…
Because your mother and I…
…没有让你割包皮。
never had you circumcised.
当我在你这么大的时候,我周围的
每个男孩,你知道他们通常怎么做吗?
When I was your age, every kid in my neighborhood, you know what they used to do?
他们通常给自己的阴♥茎♥取名字。
They used to name their penises.
我要给我的取名叫“狄林杰”。
【上世纪初的银行劫匪,人称“头号♥公敌”】
I’m going to name mine Dillinger.
狄林杰很贴切!狄林杰很棒!
Dillinger is perfect! Dillinger is great!
希利,你真有灵感,你是个天才。
Hilly, you’re inspired. You’re a genius.
狄林杰是他选择的
那个行当里的伟大天才之一,
Dillinger was one of the great geniuses of his profession,
还有威利·萨顿。
like Willie Sutton.
还记得我们谈到过弗洛伊德吗?
Remember when we discussed Freud once?
弗洛伊德说,你要过上好的生活,
最重要的两件事情是…
Freud said the two most important things to having a good life…
…你选择的工作和性♥爱♥。
are the work that you choose and sex.
就这两件事情。
Those are the two things.
女人…
Women…
…是上帝。
are God.
上帝是女人?
God’s a woman?
不,我没说上帝是女人。
No. I’m not saying God’s a woman.
这么跟你说吧,世上存在女人。
我们不知道是否存在上帝,
There are women. We don’t know if there’s a God,
但是存在女人。
but there are women.
你知道,不是存在于某个虚幻的天堂中,
而是就在这里,在地球上。
Not in some imaginary heaven, but right here on earth.
她们中的有一些,希利,
她们中的有一些…
And some of them, Hilly, some of them…
…就在“维多利亚的秘密”的商店里。
shop at Victoria’s Secret.
贝丝·克雷默这一辈子
从没感到过如此难堪和愤怒。
Beth Kramer has never been so mortified in her entire life.
贝丝·克雷默是个咄咄逼人的、
假装正经的、好管闲事的烂逼。
Beth Kramer’s an aggressive, tight-assed, busybody cunt,
我和我儿子说什么话,
关她他妈的屁事啊!
and it’s none of her business how I speak to my son.
贝丝·克雷默是个
值得尊敬的母亲,是个很好的朋友。
Beth Kramer is a decent parent and a great friend.
噢,别扯了!听着,我想请你
换一天我的探望日。
Oh, Bullshit! I’m asking you to change one visitation day.
有这么可怕吗?
What is so terrible?
我不想换!
我不想让他失一天学!
No! He is not gonna miss a day of school!
要是他病了怎么办?
要是希利病了,他还不是不去学校。
What if he was sick? he would miss school!
是的,要是他病了,他可以不去学校。
但是他没有病,
Yes, he would. But he’s not sick…
他不会花一个下午,
和他那个药片吞个不停、
and he’s not gonna spend the afternoon with his pill-popping,
酒精上瘾、
alcoholic,
见女人就日的所谓的父亲在一起。
beaver-banging excuse for a father.
你看,几年前,你可不是这么说我的,
你可不是这么认为的。
Years ago, you didn’t say that about me. You didn’t think that.
– 你那时人很好,很放松,脾气随和。
– 你往书里写好了!
– You were a nice, loose, easygoing spirit. – Put it in a book!
你以为我不知道?
What am I saying?
你不早已经写了吗!
You already did!
爱波斯坦和他的第三个心理医生结了婚。
Epstein had married his third shrink.
他向她表白过几次他对她的感情,
He had confessed his feelings toward her several times,
但是她似乎将它归之于移情作用。
and it seemed she had put it down to transference.
然而有一天,她让他大吃一惊。
But one day, she surprised him.
我想我们最好…
I think it best…
…终止对你的治疗。
that we terminate your treatment.
然后,我想我们应该…
And then, I think we should…
…给我们俩以充分的时间考虑一下。
give it a substantial period of time.
然后,如果我们两个想法一致的话,
And then, if we both feel the same way,
我想我们可以再开始公开地…
I think we can begin to see each other again…
…相互交往。
socially.
在爱波斯坦看来,
It was, to Epstein’s thinking,
这简直是天作之合。
a match made in heaven.
现在,终于有了个能理解他的女人。
Here, at last, was a woman who understood him.
你了解我所有的秘密,
You know all my secrets,
我精神生活的所有细枝末节。
every nuance of my psychic life.
在治疗过程中,我向你
袒露了我的一切情感和欲望。
There isn’t a feeling or desire that I haven’t admitted to you in therapy.
现在该轮到你来探索我了。
Now it’s your turn to explore me.
是啊,我所有的那些怪癖,
你都全盘接受了。
Yeah, but all my perversions, you accept them.
我喜欢被人绑起来,
喜欢看你和另一个女人在一起,
My need to be tied up, to watch you with other women,
喜欢你尖尖的鞋后跟放在我嘴里的感觉。
to feel your spike heels in my mouth.
我对自己的所作所为
以及所产生的后果…
No one can say that I didn’t know what I was letting…
…非常清楚。
myself in for.
他们生活的头两年非常美妙。
The first two years were amazing.
他们搬进位于西区大街的一套大公♥寓♥里。
They moved into a large Westend Avenue apartment.
他写作,她看病。
He wrote. She saw patients.
而她最为敏锐的见解,
都是关于他的作品的。
But her clearest insights were into his work.
人们所获得的印象是,
你完全遗世独♥立♥,
What one comes away with is your total isolation,
你害怕人群,你对自闭诚惶诚恐。
your fear of people, your panic over closeness.
这就是为什么你的真实生活
会如此的混乱无序,
And that’s why your real life is so chaotic,
而你写的东西却如此的…
and your writing is so much more…
…不事张扬和四平八稳。
我是说,你无法……
controlled and stable. You’re unable to…
是的,诸事皆顺,
Yes, it all went quite well…
直到海伦怀上和生下了孩子。
until Helen became pregnant and gave birth.
自那一刻起,仿佛是受到了神的启示,
From that moment on, as if she had experienced a divine revelation,
她突然之间就变成了一个
在发火时的爱波斯坦眼里的…
she suddenly became what Epstein referred to angrily,
…“彻头彻尾的犹太人”。
as “Jewish with a vengeance.”
我成天都在懊悔,我不该听你的话,
I rue the day I listened to you,
没给他施割礼。
and I didn’t have him circumcised.
你疯了吗?
What are you, nuts?
你看,我们还来得及这么做。
We can still do it.
不!
No!
不,他太大了!
He’s too old!
– 噢,是啊,是啊。现在他太大了。
– 你怎么回事啊?
– Sure. Now he’s too old. – What is wrong with you?
我的天,你怎么像个再生的基♥督♥徒,
除了你是个犹太人。
You’re like a born-again Christian except you’re a Jew.
我在希勒尔【古犹太教拉比的名字】
的脸上看到了我父亲的影子。
I see my father’s face in Hillel.
希利亚德。他的名字是希利亚德。
Hilliard. His name is Hilliard.
我们没给他取名叫希勒尔,
我们没给他以某个拉比的名字命名。
We didn’t name him Hillel. We didn’t name him after some rabbi.
他的名字是希利亚德·爱波斯坦。
It’s Hilliard Epstein.
行了,我受够了你的自鸣得意的风凉话。
传统里存在价值!
No, I’m sick of your smug cynicism. There’s value in tradition!
以前,我从没想过那会有什么价值;
可现在,我成了母亲,发现那很有价值。
I never thought it would mean anything. But now that I’m a mother, it does.
我在犹太教里不仅看到了意义,
而且发现了真正的美。
I see not only meaning in Judaism, but true beauty.
海伦,你是个科学家啊!
Helen, you’re a scientist!
爱因斯坦也是科学家!
Einstein was a scientist!
而且他是犹太人!
而且他有宗教信仰!
And he was a Jew! And he was religious!
海伦担当起了日常祈祷的职责。
Helen had taken on the obligation of daily prayers.
当然,犹太人出于对一个
怒气冲冲、眦睚必报的上帝的敬畏,
Jews, of course, fearing a wrathful and vengeful God,
他们为每一件事物称颂并感谢上帝。
give praise and thanks for everything.
赞美您,我们永恒的上帝,万物的主宰,
Baruch atah adonai elohenu melech ha-olam…
您创造了葡萄的果实,
borei pree hagofen.
您从大地…

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!