You lay half a C-note on her, and she’s history.
我不知道…你是在哪儿干的?
Where would you do it?
我是说,我可不能把她往家里领。
I couldn’t have her come to my apartment.
找个旅馆房♥间,我就是这么干的,
我老婆当时在家里。
Get a hotel room. That’s what I do when the wife’s home.
不。你看,我可没这么多钱,
我是说,五十可不是一笔小数目。
I don’t have that kind of dough. Fifty’s a lot in itself.
也许,你朋友会让你用一下他的地方。
Maybe a friend will let you use his place.
嘿,小子,你不总是抱怨
你的性生活吗?
Kid, you’re always bitchin’ about your sex life.
我这是想帮你一把。
I’m trying to help.
我告诉她是你给的我她的号♥码?
I tell her you gave me the number?
不,不,别提我名字!
别用你的真名。
No, no. Not my name! Don’t use your real name.
不,当然不会是真名。
No, of course. Not the real name.
我告诉你怎么做:你借一处
朋友的公♥寓♥,你用他的名字。
Tell you what you do. You borrow a friend’s apartment. You use his name.
那样的话,就万无一失啦。
That way, it’ll be on the bell.
现在好运向哈维露出了微笑,
Now good fortune smiled on Harvey…
因为他最好的朋友之一,
孟德尔·勃恩鲍姆,正好被车撞了,
as one of his closest friends, Mendel Birnbaum, was hit by a car,
正躺在纽约的医院里,
徘徊于生死线上,
and lay hovering between life and death at New York hospital,
于是就给哈维腾出了一个极佳的…
thus freeing up an apartment…
…单身幽会的场所。
for Harvey’s tryst.
穿上别人的丝质睡袍,
Donning the other man’s silk robe,
哈维摇身变成了浪荡公子
孟德尔·勃恩鲍姆,
Harvey became the swinger Mendel Birnbaum,
等着他那…
and waited…
…通往天堂的东方护照。
his Oriental passport to paradise.
你一定是孟德尔·勃恩鲍姆吧。
You must be Mendel Birnbaum.
你还喜欢吗?
“孟·勃”
Did you enjoy it?
– 你开玩笑?我马上回来。
– 你去哪儿?
– Are you kidding? I’ll be right back. – Where you going?
我去看一下我裤子里
是否还有另外五十块。
I’m going to check my pants for another 50.
我想再来一次。
I’d like to go again.
谁啊?
Yes?
– 孟德尔·勃恩鲍姆?
– 是我。
– Mendel Birnbaum? – Yes.
开门。
Open.
你是哪位?
Who is it?
你是谁啊?
Who are you?
我是来找你的。
I’ve come for you.
– 你在说什么啊?
– 我是死神,
– What are you talking about? – I’m Death,
你的名字上了我的名册。
and your name is on my list.
不…不…不!
No, no, no!
等一分钟,你…你弄错人了。
Wait a minute. You’ve made a mistake.
你没一分钟时间了。
You don’t have a minute.
你看,我不是孟德尔·勃恩……
I’m not Mendel Birnb…
你少给我扯闲淡!
Don’t give me that bullshit!
看看你睡袍上的花押字母。
Look at your monogram.
孟德尔?
Mendel?
你在跟谁说话哪?
Who are you talking to?
别再叫我孟德尔了!
Stop calling me Mendel!
– 求你了,我只是用了一下他的住处。
– 没错!
– Please. I’m just using his pad. – Right!
人人都有理由。
They always have an excuse.
我们走!
Let’s go!
快走,你个小混混!
Move it, you little putz!
我站在屋顶上,
她拿着枪对着我。
I’m standing on the roof, and she’s pointing a gun at me.
我们站在寒冷的空气中,
我惊慌失措。
We’re out in the cold, and I’m panicked.
我向她讲述我写的一个
关于我年轻时候的短篇故事,
I’m telling her about a story I wrote when I was younger,
她觉得非常有趣,感谢上帝。
她开始,你知道……
and she found it funny, thank God.
她笑了出来,放松了一点,
她把枪放了下来。你知道,可是……
She laughed, and she relaxed a little. She put the gun down. And you know.
这么说你写的东西救了你一命。
So your writing saved your life.
这在我看来太不可思议了,你知道?
It’s amazing to me, you know?
你知道,对我来说这太滑稽了,
除了我年轻的时候会明显感到…
The interesting thing to me, apart from the obvious sexual guilt…
…性方面的罪恶感以外,
就像故事里的那个年轻人那样,
that I had when I was a young man in the story,
我几乎什么都没变。
is that nothing’s changed.
你知道,我…那么多年过去了。
It’s years later.
我看了一个又一个心理医生,
I had a shrink then, I have a shrink now.
我之后换了有六个心理医生,
I’m six shrinks later.
一溜下来,我换了三个妻子。
I’m three wives down the line.
你知道,我仍然无法处理好
我的爱情生活。
And I still can’t get my love life in order.
我…我仍然喜欢找妓♥女♥。
你知道,我…我……
I still love whores.
最令我感到惬意的是,
你付钱给她们,她们来到你房♥子里,
To me, the ideal thing is you pay them, and they come over to the house,
你不必和她们探讨
普鲁斯特或电影或……
and you don’t have to discuss Proust or films or…
我不知道我这是怎么了。
你知道,我……
I don’t know what’s been happening to me.
你知道,我就像没有长大一样。
我觉得,你知道,这不对劲……
You know, I just have not grown up, and I feel, you know, it’s not…
我也看了一下其他人到我这把年龄。
I see other guys my age.
我是说,我总是想着要去
干我遇到的每一个女人。
I’m always thinking of fucking every woman I meet.
不管我遇到哪样的女人,
在银行里,一个陌生的女人,
I meet a woman in the bank, or a stranger,
或在巴士上看见个女人,
or a woman on the bus.
我就会想:嗯,她脱♥光♥了会是什么样子?
有没有可能我可以干♥她♥?
I think, what would she look like naked? Is it possible I can fuck her?
你知道,这太疯狂了。
This is crazy.
我…我认识的人里面
都是些律师啊,医生啊。
I see guys I know that are lawyers and doctors.
他们有家庭,有房♥子。
They have families and houses.
他们可没这么…你知道。
They’re not so…
美国总统也会想着
要去干♥他♥遇见的每一个女人吗?
Does the President of the United States want to fuck every woman he met?
这个例子不妥,你知道。
不过……
Bad example.
我…我不知道。
But I don’t know.
那拿拉乌尔·瓦伦伯格来说吧,
【瑞典商人和外交官,拯救了数万匈牙利犹太人】
Take Raoul Wallenberg.
他会想着要把欧洲的每一个
鸡尾酒女招待都日个遍吗?
Did he want to bang every cocktail waitress in Europe?
我想不会,可是……
Probably not, but…
跟我说说明天的
授予你荣誉学位仪式的事。
Tell me about your honoring ceremony tomorrow.
噢,那…那纯属扯淡。你知道……
Oh, that’s bullshit.
好笑的是就是那所学校,
在多年以前把我赶了出来,
It’s ironic that the same school that threw me out years ago…
现在却想给我荣誉学位。
now wants to honor me.
他们为什么要赶你出来?
Why’d they throw you out?
赶我出来,因为我…我没兴趣念大学。
Because I was not interested in college.
你知道,我一心想成为作家,
我唯一关心的就是写作。
I wanted to be a writer. That’s all I cared about was writing.
我不关心现实的世界,
I did not care about the real world.
我只关心虚构的世界。
I cared only about the world of fiction.
另外,我还试图给…
And, plus, I tried to give…
…院长夫人灌肠。
所以他们对此很不待见。
the dean’s wife an enema. So they didn’t take kindly to that.
可是,你知道,让我难过的是…
But the sad thing is…
…我得驱车一路向北,
去接受荣誉学位,
I gotta drive way upstate to be honored,
我得独自一人去,
你知道,没人陪我一起去。
and I have to go by myself. I got nobody to go with.
这…你知道,我…好吧,所以……
唔…你知道,我不能……
It’s, you know, I… OK, so… And… You know, I can’t…
那么你带上你儿子,
和你一起去怎么样?
What about bringing your son up with you?
我办不到,你知道,
现在还不到我探访他的时间。
I can’t. It’s not my visiting time with him.
琼一点也不能通融,所以……
Joan is completely inflexible, so…
你是说她不愿为你改变日期?
She won’t trade dates with you?
咳,她甚至连我的电♥话♥都不愿接。
I can’t even get her on the phone.
你知道,她恨我……
She hates me, and…
我不知道。最近……
I don’t know. Lately…
这是我一生当中第一次,
我感受到了作家的才思阻断。
For the first time in my life, I experienced writer’s block.
这对我来说,是前所未有的。
Now this, to me, is unheard of.
我给几个短篇起了个头,
但是却不能完成它们。