– 真的。
– 不!
– I do. – No!
他会没事的。
他不应该白来一趟。
He’ll be all right. He’s here for a purpose.
你知道,我要……
我要看着他的……
You know, I’ll… I’ll see that…
他的…你知道,
看着他的葬礼结束之类的事情。
that he’s, you know… that the funeral comes off and all that.
我要看着他得到很好地…
I’ll see that he’s buried…
…安葬。
properly.
我理解。
I understand.
可怜的理查德!
Poor Richard!
噢,天哪,那可怜的家伙!
Oh, Jesus. The poor guy!
曲奇!曲奇!
Cookie! Cookie!
曲奇,我挺不过去了,
我继续不下去了。
I’m not gonna make it. I can’t go on.
是的,要是你老是喝个不停,
一直吞药的话。
Not if you keep drinking and popping those pills.
噢,天哪,我简直不敢相信。
Oh, Jesus. I can’t believe this.
我以前的学校想授予我荣誉,
而我却带着个妓♥女♥和死人出席。
My old school wants to honor me. I show up with a hooker and a dead body.
放松点,别这样。你根本毫无理由
要把自己弄得这么紧张。
Take it easy. You’re getting yourself all wound up about nothing.
– 曲奇,你看我!
– 什么?
– Cookie, look at me! – What?
你看!你看!我变模糊了!
Look! Look! I’m out of focus!
什么啊,我看你没事。我是说
你脸色有点苍白,但是你没……
You look a little pale, but you’re all right.
我变模糊了,我模棱两可了!
I’m out of focus. I’m soft!
你最好镇静下来。
他们随时就会过来。嘘…安静……
You better calm down. They’ll be here any minute.
不,不。这太丢人了。
他们要授我荣誉,可我却成了模糊一团。
No, no. It’s so humiliating. They’re gonna honor me and I’m a blob.
你没事,你看上去很好。别担心。
You look fine. Don’t worry.
我去不了…如果我坐在讲台上,
他们在下面吃东西。
I’ll be sitting on the dais. They’re eating.
他们看了会晕船的,
他们会呕吐的。
They’ll get seasick. They’ll throw up.
握住我的手,握住我的手。
现在放松。
Hold my hand. Hold my hand. Now relax.
你看你一路开车赶到这里,
就是为了让你儿子看到你接受荣誉,
You drive all the way here so your son can see you honored,
可你这样的表现简直是瞎胡闹!
and you make a jackass out of yourself!
可是你没看见吗?
我变成了一大坨糊糊!
But don’t you see? I’m a huge blur!
你会没事的,坚持一下。
我来跟你谈谈,让你平静下来。
You’re gonna be all right. I’m gonna talk you down.
我见过各种各样毒品用过量的家伙,
海♥洛♥因♥、搖腳丸、可♥卡♥因♥,随你说好了。
I’ve seen all kinds of guys O.D. Heroin, acid, crack. You name it.
我又没用那些玩艺儿。
我什么都没用。
I didn’t take any of that stuff. I have nothing.
是的,可你还是药片吞个不停。
Yeah, but you’re a pill-popper.
不,不是因为这个,曲奇。
That’s not what it is, Cookie.
是因为我,我受够了我自己。
It’s me. I’m OD’ing on myself.
– 因为我就是一坨狗屎。
– 行了,喝点黑咖啡吧。
– It’s that I’m a shit. – Have some black coffee.
我不想喝什么咖啡,
我不想喝任何东西。我就是狗屎!
I don’t want any coffee. I don’t want anything. I’m a shit!
跟我说点什么吧。
Talk to me about something.
你喜欢运动吗?
You like sports?
运动?喜欢。我曾经…曾经是个投手。
Sports? Yeah. I was a pitcher.
当…当一个家伙挤在本垒时,
我通常瞄着他的头击球。
When a guy crowded the plate, I used to throw at his head,
因为我是这个世界上最烂的烂人。
问题出在这里。
’cause I’m the worst person in the world.
– 亲爱的,我见过…我见过更烂的。
– 谁?谁会比我更烂?
– Honey, I’ve seen worse. – Who’s worse than me?
希♥特♥勒♥!
Hitler!
好吧,也许希♥特♥勒♥比我烂,
All right. Maybe Hitler.
也许希♥特♥勒♥、戈林、戈培尔都比我烂,
可我排第四,紧跟着他们。
Maybe Hitler, Goering, and Goebbels, but I’m fourth, right behind them.
好了,过来。握住我的手,握住我的手。
Come on. Hold my hand.
– 你能感觉到我的手吗?
– 是的,很温暖。
– Can you feel my hand? – Yes, it’s warm.
瞧见没有?你只是有点抓狂。
你不是什么模糊一团。
See? It’s just panic. You’re not a blob.
– 我知道,我会好起来的。
– 好了。
– I know. I’m gonna get over this. – Come on.
我突然就抓狂了。
我经常会抓狂。
I’m having a panic attack. I have these attacks.
你喜欢什么运动?
What sports do you like?
我不知道。我都喜欢。
我喜欢棒球,我喜欢篮球。
I like them all. I like baseball. I like basketball.
我曾和一个女的结过婚,曲奇,
她…她看上去像马克斯·施迈林。
I was married to a woman, Cookie, who… she looked like Max Schmeling.
不,我没开玩笑。她…她……
No, I’m not joking.
呃…哦。好吧,他们来了。
All right, it’s time.
曲奇,我…要是没有你,
我肯定熬不过这一切。我说真的。
I can’t get through this without you. I mean it.
别担心了,别担心。
Don’t worry about it. Don’t worry.
– 要是你今天没跟我一起来……
– 别担心了,起来吧。
– If you didn’t come with me today… – Don’t worry about it. Come on.
打起精神!
Straighten up!
我得打上领带,
我得把我的领带打上。
I gotta get a tie. I gotta get my tie.
好了,准备好。
All right. Let’s go.
你将在阿黛尔英名永驻,
你已经准备好了吗?
Are you ready to be immortalized by Adair?
我讲授你的书。
他们是我的一些文学学生。
I teach your books. These are some of my literature students.
– 是吗?
– 是的。
– Yes? – Yes.
我们都了解你的所有作品,你的所有人物,
即使是那些很不起眼的角色。
We all know all your work, your characters, even the obscure ones.
…不,不。阅读好作品
是一种创造性的行为。
Good reading is a creative act.
那么你现在正在写什么东西没有?
So are you working on anything now?
我是说我们能够指望
让我们全身心投入进去的东西?
Something we can look forward to sinking our teeth into?
实际上我正写了一半,
I’m in the midst of writing…
有关于魔鬼的,他上来绑♥架♥走了
一个男人的真爱,
a thing on the devil who comes and kidnaps a man’s one true love,
将她带入了地狱,
他要去地狱把她找回来。
and takes her down to hell, and he goes to retrieve her.
你知道,既然那是地狱,我可以
利用下优势,把许多成年老账清算一下。
Since it’s hell, I’m able to settle a lot of old scores.
是啊。那人是个什么样的人呢?
What’s the man like?
那人是我,稍稍改头换面了一下。
It’s me, thinly disguised.
实际上,我…我甚至没打算
想要在里面改头换面。
In fact, I don’t even think I should disguise it anymore.
那就是…你知道,那就是我。
It’s, you know, it’s me.
第五层:
Floor five:
地铁抢劫犯、攻击型乞丐、
和书评家。
subway muggers, aggressive panhandlers, and book critics.
第六层:
Floor six:
右翼极端分子、系列杀人狂魔、
在电视上露面的律师。
right-wing extremists, serial killers, lawyers who appear on television.
第七层:
Floor seven:
媒体人。
the media.
抱歉,这层已经全满了。
Sorry, that floor is all filled up.
第八层:
Floor eight:
潜逃的战争罪犯、
电视福音传道者、和全美步♥枪♥协会。
escaped war criminals, TV evangelists, and the NRA.
最底层:
Lowest level:
人人都下。
everybody off.
你做了什么?
What did you do?
我发明了铝合金墙板。
I invented aluminum siding.
哈里!
Harry!
爸爸!
Dad!
快把我从这里弄出去!
这里太可怕了!
Get me out of here! This is terrible!
你知道我从来就受不了炎热天气。
You know how I could never stand hot weather.
这人为什么在这里?
What is this man doing here?
他被判遭受永恒的苦难。
He’s condemned to eternal suffering.
哈里,帮帮我!
Harry, help me!
我不明白,怎么…?
我要求知道他的罪名是什么。
I don’t understand. I demand to know the charges.
“他不公正地对待他的儿子,
“He behaved unconscionably toward his son,
“仅仅由于出生,
就指控孩子犯下了弥天大罪。”
“accused the boy of committing a capital crime merely by being born.”
他们告诉我,你妻子死于生产。
Your wife, they told me, is dead.
而你儿子,他活了下来。
But your son, he’s thriving.
为什么他挣扎着不想出生呢?
Why did he fight not to be born?
嘿,你听着,我原谅了他。
Look, I forgive him.
你知道,我…过去的都已经过去了。
What’s over is over.
那些…这些都已经了结了。